Knicks Off-season/Training camp/I don't want to talk about the Jets thread

BroadwayJoe12

I think I'm going to be avoiding the football forum for a bit and basketball is about to get started, so here we go. I'll start off with Shump at media day rockin' the high top. Real excited for when he's healthy and we can close out games when we have a lead with Kidd, Shump, Melo, Camby, Chandler.

398188_10151455652194616_770293322_n.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was weird that although their first practice is tomorrow, the players showed up at media day in uniform.

I know opening camp dates are today, but I'm pretty sure the entire team, minus brewer and shump, have been practicing together since middle of september or so. I remember reading an article that said how it was unusual to see an entire team get together to practice early, which is gonna be key considering we have four new pgs on our team.

Excited to see what kind of shape Felton is in, because if he's the same type of player he was a couple years ago, the Knicks could make some serious noise. Either way, it gives me something to look forward to now that the Jets' season is looking so promising.

Actually thought it was pretty awesome that they flew Hakeem in to work with the whole team for a week. No sense in Amare being the only one doing it considering him and Melo are both going to need to learn how to operate in the post together.

Definitely. Amare must have felt like he gained a lot from it in order to suggest it for the entire team; if anyone could use a post game besides Amare, it's chandler. Also, The Dream has got a sweet little setup, coaching guys for 25K a day or whatever it is.

I know opening camp dates are today, but I'm pretty sure the entire team, minus brewer and shump, have been practicing together since middle of september or so. I remember reading an article that said how it was unusual to see an entire team get together to practice early, which is gonna be key considering we have four new pgs on our team.

Excited to see what kind of shape Felton is in, because if he's the same type of player he was a couple years ago, the Knicks could make some serious noise. Either way, it gives me something to look forward to now that the Jets' season is looking so promising.

Yeah, all the healthy players have been practing for the last 10 days or so, including the 3 main players. But for media day everyone was in unis, which was weird. They don't practice in unis. This is from yesterday's media event

mitch2s-3-web.jpg

But I am excited about Felton. He was having an allstar-esque season before he was traded and even without the D'Antoni-bump he should be a solid starter if in shape, which according to all reports he is.

Last, the Hakeem thing was awesome. That was all Woodson because of his connection to the Dream. He's really become a post-up guru where everyone who has worked with him, regardless of position, have improved their post-up moves.

Yeah, all the healthy players have been practing for the last 10 days or so, including the 3 main players. But for media day everyone was in unis, which was weird. They don't practice in unis. This is from yesterday's media event

Yea, I wonder what the deal with that is. They've been advertising the hell out of these new unis, which look a lot like throwbacks, all over facebook/twiter etc. so maybe this is just another media blitz.

There seems to be a real good vibe about this team from everything I've been reading; a lot of the guys covering the Knicks have been saying that Melo took a lot away from the olympics and LBJ and is really looking to win a championship and doesn't care at all about leading in scoring. Obviously easier said than done, but if Kidd/Felton/Prig can start getting Melo the ball in spots he likes, we've seen just how deadly he can be.

I can't tell if it's I just need something to finally look forward to as the Jets do not look good or that the Knicks look legit, but I'm just getting a really good feeling about this team. Also, pretty bummed that brewer is missing training camp, I was hoping to see him prior to the season starting.

I can't tell if it's I just need something to finally look forward to as the Jets do not look good or that the Knicks look legit, but I'm just getting a really good feeling about this team. Also, pretty bummed that brewer is missing training camp, I was hoping to see him prior to the season starting.

Knicks should definitely be fun to watch. I'm trying to keep my expectations low, but I'm with you on the good feeling. It might just be wishful thinking because the Jets and the other forum look like they're going to be unbearable from this point on.

Grunwald has shown himself to be a good GM thus far, so I give him the benefit of the doubt because (1) quality past moves, (2) he explained the reasoning behind the new moves, and (3) there is logic behind the moves.

The haters here and in the media harp on the age of the new acquisitions which is stupid because none of them are starters. They are all meant to be bench players. Thus, with less minutes, the older players will have less wear & tear. Grunwald said he wanted to surround his younger core with veterans. The Knicks starting 5 is relatively young, with all 30 and younger. The 2 thirty year olds (STAT & Tyson) just turn 30 this fall.

Compare that to the Championship Mavs 2 years ago with only Tyson under 30 at the time and the others 32 and up.

You better hope Stat stays healthy period.

Grunwald has shown himself to be a good GM thus far, so I give him the benefit of the doubt because (1) quality past moves, (2) he explained the reasoning behind the new moves, and (3) there is logic behind the moves.

The haters here and in the media harp on the age of the new acquisitions which is stupid because none of them are starters. They are all meant to be bench players. Thus, with less minutes, the older players will have less wear & tear. Grunwald said he wanted to surround his younger core with veterans. The Knicks starting 5 is relatively young, with all 30 and younger. The 2 thirty year olds (STAT & Tyson) just turn 30 this fall.

Compare that to the Championship Mavs 2 years ago with only Tyson under 30 at the time and the others 32 and up.

Absolutely, CR. The health of all 3 is crucial (Melo, STAT and Tyson), but STAT is the big question mark.

Also, useless info, but I learned why the Knicks were in unis for media day. It was also picture day for them with individual and team pics.

Absolutely, CR. The health of all 3 is crucial (Melo, STAT and Tyson), but STAT is the big question mark.

Also, useless info, but I learned why the Knicks were in unis for media day. It was also picture day for them with individual and team pics.

The division is going to be a tough decision as long as very team stays healthy. I like the 76ers trade and hope Bynum gets healthy.

The division is going to be a tough decision as long as very team stays healthy. I like the 76ers trade and hope Bynum gets healthy.

The Atlantic is going to be real fun this year with the Knicks, Sixers, Nets, and Celtics. The Raptors might be decent, but they'll probably end up a 20ish win team because of the number of good teams in their division they have to play.

On paper going into the season, whe're pretty much assured of the Heat being the No. 1 postseason seed. The other 7 playoff teams IMO will be (in any order) the Knicks, Celtics, Sixers, Nets, Pacers, Hawks, and Bulls. I think the Bulls, even without Rose, can sneak in as a 7th or 8th seed.

Win total wise, I think the Heat will be in the 60s, the Knicks, Pacers, Sixers, and Celtics will be in the 50s, while the Nets, Hawks, and Bulls will be in the 40s. I know the Hawks lost Johnson, but he had become lower on their totem pole and they have enough talent to be a 6th or 7th seed.

Also, an interesting tidbit. Woodson is not doing 2-a-days which other coaches do in training camp. He's only doing 1 3hr practices per day because he says that players respond physically better with only 1 practice a day.

The Atlantic is going to be real fun this year with the Knicks, Sixers, Nets, and Celtics. The Raptors might be decent, but they'll probably end up a 20ish win team because of the number of good teams in their division they have to play.

Also, an interesting tidbit. Woodson is not doing 2-a-days which other coaches do in training camp. He's only doing 1 3hr practices per day because he says that players respond physically better with only 1 practice a day.

Yea, the raptors are going to be the orioles of the 2000's. They just need to mire in relative obscurity for a decade and then pop back up out of nowhere. Joking aside, it really is going to be a fun year with the division the way it is. I cannot wait for opening day and to see all those dejected fans when we mollywhop them in their arena's inauguration.

I figured they already had the picture day. They released a plethora of pictures of all the players on top of some tower in Manhatten a couple weeks ago. Guess they're really pushing these new unis.

Practice? We are talking about practice?....

On paper going into the season, whe're pretty much assured of the Heat being the No. 1 postseason seed. The other 7 playoff teams IMO will be (in any order) the Knicks, Celtics, Sixers, Nets, Pacers, Hawks, and Bulls. I think the Bulls, even without Rose, can sneak in as a 7th or 8th seed.

Win total wise, I think the Heat will be in the 60s, the Knicks, Pacers, Sixers, and Celtics will be in the 50s, while the Nets, Hawks, and Bulls will be in the 40s. I know the Hawks lost Johnson, but he had become lower on their totem pole and they have enough talent to be a 6th or 7th seed.

Dont players normally show up in uniform for media days? I thought they do all their photos on that day both for the team and for stock shots for the papers, magazines, etc...

Anyway should be a fun season. I think the Knicks have the most upside of any team in the division because of the talent at the top. I do think the coach has to be willing to make a switch quickly though if Amare doesnt work with Melo and get him working with the second unit instead. Id see if he and Felton can reconnect again while Kidd works with Anthony.

I think the Nets will compete as they will provide a different skillset than almost anyone since its all based on backcourt play, but they are so soft up front defensively I dont know how they will do against anyone that plays even a little physical.

I have to laugh at the thread title. Lets get our minds off one terrible organization and focus on another terrible organization.

You got respect us Jets, Mets, Knicks fans of the world.

That's brutal because it's like a combined 100 year wait for a championship.

Dont players normally show up in uniform for media days? I thought they do all their photos on that day both for the team and for stock shots for the papers, magazines, etc...

Anyway should be a fun season. I think the Knicks have the most upside of any team in the division because of the talent at the top. I do think the coach has to be willing to make a switch quickly though if Amare doesnt work with Melo and get him working with the second unit instead. Id see if he and Felton can reconnect again while Kidd works with Anthony.

I think the Nets will compete as they will provide a different skillset than almost anyone since its all based on backcourt play, but they are so soft up front defensively I dont know how they will do against anyone that plays even a little physical.

Yeah, this. With Lebron taking the leap that he did last year, they went all in on a 3 year investment of size and experience. Felton could really be the difference maker IMO, if '09 Felton shows up I think we have a shot at an ECF loss. Wasn't a fan of the Kidd signing and I still am not. But having Camby and Brewer infinitely alleviates the problems that the Knicks ran into when Chandler got into foul trouble, so I'm not sure it'll even make a difference.

I have to laugh at the thread title. Lets get our minds off one terrible organization and focus on another terrible organization.

You got respect us Jets, Mets, Knicks fans of the world.

I have to hold out hope that the universe is going to karmically reward me with the Mila Kunis or a central park apartment in manhattan for liking these franchises. That or it's paying me back for raping pandas and unicorns in another life.

...Last, the Hakeem thing was awesome. That was all Woodson because of his connection to the Dream. He's really become a post-up guru where everyone who has worked with him, regardless of position, have improved their post-up moves.

Woody is my hero!!!

So that was awesome. Felton and Melo both look slim and fast. Really surprised that Prigioni looked that good. Either that performance was an outlier or NBA execs really dropped the ball on him, because it makes zero sense why it should take that long to catch on to someone with game like that. And Chandler's clearly made some huge leaps in the P&R game. The scrubs looked terrible, but whatever, they're scrubs.

So that was awesome. Felton and Melo both look slim and fast. Really surprised that Prigioni looked that good. Either that performance was an outlier or NBA execs really dropped the ball on him, because it makes zero sense why it should take that long to catch on to someone with game like that. And Chandler's clearly made some huge leaps in the P&R game. The scrubs looked terrible, but whatever, they're scrubs.

There was an article that said Grumwald was basically begging the guy to come over for the last four or so years and a combination of contractual obligations and him just not wanting to leave made it difficult to lure him here. But yea, it'll be nice to have three guys who can run the point and it'll allow us a ton of flexibility to kick kidd to the two spot and have him play the point in certain situations. Actually extremely excited for this year, moreso than in a long time.

There was an article that said Grumwald was basically begging the guy to come over for the last four or so years and a combination of contractual obligations and him just not wanting to leave made it difficult to lure him here. But yea, it'll be nice to have three guys who can run the point and it'll allow us a ton of flexibility to kick kidd to the two spot and have him play the point in certain situations. Actually extremely excited for this year, moreso than in a long time.

If his game is consistent at this level, it immediately eliminates early problems we're going to have at the 2 until Brewer, White, and Shump get back. We can basically rotate Kidd in at that slot with Smith and Novak as well.

Entertaining and very intense for a preseason game. But frak, now with Jeter having broke his ankle I'll haveto go all-in on the Knicks this year.

BTW, Lin is blaming his ongoing recovery from minor knee surgery for why he is struggling in Rockets camp and the first preseason game. Jesh he takes a long time to recover.

Lin said after making only 1 shot and getting run off the floor against Westbrook in his preseason matchup: "I’m still trying to recover from knee surgery and get to where I was pre-surgery."

That's Carl Pavano-esque healing ability right there.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/lawrence-lin-rockets-bargained-article-1.1182684#ixzz29I4QJVh5

I like Wally Szczerbiak on the MSG postgame show with Alan Hahn. I had forgotten Wally grew up a Knick fan and didn't know that he and Hahn had played pickup games together on the Island when they were younger. Heck, I didn't know Hahn had played ball in college. That explains a lot about his blog at Newsday and now MSG.

Entertaining and very intense for a preseason game. But frak, now with Jeter having broke his ankle I'll haveto go all-in on the Knicks this year.

BTW, Lin is blaming his ongoing recovery from minor knee surgery for why he is struggling in Rockets camp and the first preseason game. Jesh he takes a long time to recover.

Lin said after making only 1 shot and getting run off the floor against Westbrook in his preseason matchup: "I’m still trying to recover from knee surgery and get to where I was pre-surgery."

That's Carl Pavano-esque healing ability right there.

http://www.nydailyne...4#ixzz29I4QJVh5

Houston's coaches saying that he's not working hard enough to recover? Sounds like 80% craziness.

Houston's coaches saying that he's not working hard enough to recover? Sounds like 80% craziness.

There's a grit joke here somewhere. Lemme think about it and get back to you.

LOL

Lin has gotten his assist numbers up in his first 2 games at least, but overall he's been struggling his first 3 games, especially his shooting.

Thus far, in 68 minutes of play, he is 4-19 from the field (21%) for 16 points with 14 assists and 7 turnovers. His per 38 minutes numbers thus far would be 8.9 ppg, 7.8 apg, and 3.9 topg. Except for his shooting percentage, those numbers aren't awful, but definitely not what the Rockets are paying him big money for.

LOL

Lin has gotten his assist numbers up in his first 2 games at least, but overall he's been struggling his first 3 games, especially his shooting.

Thus far, in 68 minutes of play, he is 4-19 from the field (21%) for 16 points with 14 assists and 7 turnovers. His per 38 minutes numbers thus far would be 8.9 ppg, 7.8 apg, and 3.9 topg. Except for his shooting percentage, those numbers aren't awful, but definitely not what the Rockets are paying him big money for.

Well, yeah that was the risk involved in making a play for him. I was pretty pissed when they didn't match but it's as likely as not that he ends up being an average to above average point guard.

Archived