Top 5 Reasons Mark Sanchez will be holding a clipboard in the near future

BlackDynamite

Fair enough.

He has the physical skills to succeed, but in my opinion lacks the mental skills and instincts to make him a viable long term starter. The game is too quick for him (mentally), and his accuracy throwing the ball has always been lacking. Playing in his 4th year, he's simply not good enough.

Well again, he's shown he can handle the Playoffs just fine.

This team is a mess, and he's not strong enough to turn it around on his own. I'm not seeing how the team is helping him at all....

BD

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well again, he's shown he can handle the Playoffs just fine.

This team is a mess, and he's not strong enough to turn it around on his own. I'm not seeing how the team is helping him at all....

BD

when you draft a franchise QB you expect him to help the team not the other way around (except rookie year)

The football IQ of the majority of Jets fans is comical.

Yeah, coaches mean nothing in the NFL!!!

Schemes, game planning, nothing in the NFL!!!!

Teaching proper technique means nothing in the NFL!!!

Why the F do coaches in the NFL make millions and millions of dollars in the NFL???

MOTHER OF GOD.

1. He was drafted too early

He started about 16 college football games at USC, and when he came into the NFL, he was overwhelmed because he just was not ready mentally to take over a NFL franchise, much less a New York football team

2. Bad coaching

Schotty was one of the worst OC's in football long before Sanchez arrived. He didn't improve in the next three years, and neither did Sanchez! Matt Cavanugh was another enabler. How he still has a job is one of histories greatest mysteries!

Follow that up with Sparano, who has virtually zero experience running a successful offense, and Rex is the anti-Yoda when it comes to developing QBs, and you have a Witch's Couldren Recipe for Bad QB Making 101

3. No #1 receivers.

Santonio Holmes is a complimentary receiver. He's not Steve Smith. Braylon Edwards was an older version of Stephen Hill. Not someone Sanchez can count on. Keller has been dependable until this year, and Mark has struggled mightily without him in the lineup.

And outside of an aged LT, he's had not threat out of the backfield to help him keep the chains moving.

4. No back-up to watch and learn from.

Tying in with #1, he really wasn't ready to take the reins, and probably should have sat behind someone for at least half-a-season. A Matt Hasselbeck-type who can show him how leading a team is done, and set a correct path for him to follow. Bad job by the organization in not giving him a mentor early on.

5. Pressure

Top 5 pick, bad coaches, no back-up, weak WRs, Tim Tebow, and New York Pressure combined will all lead to implosion.

He was on the same path as Eli Manning coming into this season, but now even the defense is failing him. He can't take it anymore. He's done.

Sadly, he has played VERY WELL under Playoff pressure, which shows me under better circumstances, he could excel. But he needs a change of scenery. And I need a change of face.

And I hold T-Rex responsible for this. They did not take care of their most valuable asset, their starting QB. And if, or when, the Jets miss the Playoffs, he fate should be their own......

BD

Understandable - but this is not all his fault

If you were getting coached by Cavanaugh and Schotty, would you progress? Don't bet on it....

Drew Brees and Philip Rivers were both coached by Schotty. Brees also had Brunell as another QB coach, masquerading as the QB2, for a couple of years.

Sanchez is horrible and was never going to be good. He's got the requisite size and arm strength and speed. He is disgustingly inaccurate and has no feel for the game. He's a total Magoo on the field and the Jets didn't teach him that.

MOTHER OF GOD.

what do you mean mother of god ??

I agree with him. When the team you root for is fundamentally in the toilet thats on the coach if players continue to suck and they are old and slow, I dont give a **** what money they make bring in the kids like Davis, Bellore and Sapp and let them have at it. If your supposed to be such a great coach then coach them up. Nothing can be worse than watching Thomas and Pace and Scott through most of last year.

what do you mean mother of god ??

I agree with him. When the team you root for is fundamentally in the toilet thats on the coach if players continue to suck and they are old and slow, I dont give a **** what money they make bring in the kids like Davis, Bellore and Sapp and let them have at it. If your supposed to be such a great coach then coach them up. Nothing can be worse than watching Thomas and Pace and Scott through most of last year.

I mean you guys have no issues pounding coaches and making 39480329843 excuses for Sanchez.

He was pretty good at USC, when surrounded with good talent and good coaching.

And he has played very well in the Playoffs, as much as people want to downplay that.

He's not hopelessly untalented, but he's never going to succeed here, that's for sure.....

BD

Pretty good at USC? Who gives a flying f***? So were Leinart and Booty.

Do you need a list of AWESOME college QBs who totally sucked and are not NFL-caliber players? I can probably only name about a hundred who were better than Sanchez at USC.

When he was surrounded by good talent, lol. Donovan McNabb didn't have a WR half as good as Santonio Holmes until his 5th NFL season and never once had the benefit of a top-5 rushing attack (let alone twice in a row) to take pressure off him.

He just sucks. We backed the wrong pony. It happens, but you move on.

Drew Brees and Philip Rivers were both coached by Schotty. Brees also had Brunell as another QB coach, masquerading as the QB2, for a couple of years.

Sanchez is horrible and was never going to be good. He's got the requisite size and arm strength and speed. He is disgustingly inaccurate and has no feel for the game. He's a total Magoo on the field and the Jets didn't teach him that.

Brees and Rivers were both Blessed with a ton of talent on the Chargers and had a RB that put the fear of god into every team they played. They were stacked at every skill position thats not a bad atmosphere to bring up a QB in. Brees then went to New Orleans and had tons of talent there as well along with a fantastic coach in Sean Payton. Im not sure you can compare the situations of Brees and Rivers to Sanchez .

We all know Sanchez biggest flaw but I do not think we have seen what hes capable of either and at this point I dont think we ever will.

I mean you guys have no issues pounding coaches and making 39480329843 excuses for Sanchez.

Im not making excues Vic Im just posting what I see. For young QB's coaching is extremly important in the NFL why do you think some of the really crappy organizations never seem to make it happen then all of a sudden they change the staff get a new GM and the team starts winning ? To some case we saw it with Mangini and Rex we all wanted Mangini to coach a little more agressively on defense but he consistently put us in a bad positon with that bend but dont break philosophy. Rex proved our defense did much better applying pressure. Thats the difference in coaching. Rex deserves credit for that but Im sorry to say The guy is just not a head coach since all that talent has now dried up and got old and has not been replaced.

Brees and Rivers were both Blessed with a ton of talent on the Chargers and had a RB that put the fear of god into every team they played. They were stacked at every skill position thats not a bad atmosphere to bring up a QB in. Brees then went to New Orleans and had tons of talent there as well along with a fantastic coach in Sean Payton. Im not sure you can compare the situations of Brees and Rivers to Sanchez .

We all know Sanchez biggest flaw but I do not think we have seen what hes capable of either and at this point I dont think we ever will.

Stacked at every skill position like Tim Dwight and Curtis Conway and Justin Peele and Reche Caldwell and Kasim Osgood and 35 year old Keenan McCardell and Eric Parker? I'll give you Gates, but I can't think of a single WR they had as good as Holmes or Edwards and maybe Conway and McCardell at the stages of their careers were on a par with Plaxico. So I think you're going to need a bigger shovel for all that BS you're piling on.

Stacked at every skill position, lol.

Why is it so hard to believe or accept that he's awful but it's easy to accept that other teams have drafted awful QBs?

Stacked at every skill position like Tim Dwight and Curtis Conway and Justin Peele and Reche Caldwell and Kasim Osgood and 35 year old Keenan McCardell and Eric Parker? I'll give you Gates, but I can't think of a single WR they had as good as Holmes or Edwards and maybe Conway and McCardell at the stages of their careers were on a par with Plaxico. So I think you're going to need a bigger shovel for all that BS you're piling on.

Why is it so hard to believe or accept that he's awful but it's easy to accept that other teams have drafted awful QBs?

Why did you leave out Turner Sproles and Tomlinson ? Also Vincent Jackson came in for Rivers debut no ? Or did ya forget him too ? Weather you want to believe it or not The Chargers had solid offensive talent that got better every year. And yes having someone Like Tomlinson who was a threat every time he touched the ball had some effect on defenses dont ya think ?

Pretty good at USC? Who gives a flying f***? So were Leinart and Booty.

Do you need a list of AWESOME college QBs who totally sucked and are not NFL-caliber players? I can probably only name about a hundred who were better than Sanchez at USC.

When he was surrounded by good talent, lol. Donovan McNabb didn't have a WR half as good as Santonio Holmes until his 5th NFL season and never once had the benefit of a top-5 rushing attack (let alone twice in a row) to take pressure off him.

He just sucks. We backed the wrong pony. It happens, but you move on.

They obviously wouldn't have made him the #5 pick if he wasn't kicking ass in college. Picking QBs is a crap shoot.

That's why I don't watch college football. Beating a bunch of college players doesn't mean you'll make it playing against grown men.

95% of them can't hack it, so why watch minor league football?

BD

Was this the same talent that helped them go 3-13 the prior year and only have two winning seasons in 12 years?? That team was absolutely putrid. They were dead last in points and bottom third in yards. Brees absolutely made that team in which they rebounded to 10-6. Good quarterbacks make their skill players better, that's just how it goes. You criticize people for making excuses for Rex, yet you are inexplicably trying to excuse one of the, if not the worst starting quarterbacks in the NFL. I sure as hell hope he can turn it around, I really do, I just am not going to hold my breath.

They obviously wouldn't have made him the #5 pick if he wasn't kicking ass in college. Picking QBs is a crap shoot.

That's why I don't watch college football. Beating a bunch of college players doesn't mean you'll make it playing against grown men.

95% of them can't hack it, so why watch minor league football?

BD

Righttt. So I guess no one should watch college basketball and march madness either??

Im not making excues Vic Im just posting what I see. For young QB's coaching is extremly important in the NFL why do you think some of the really crappy organizations never seem to make it happen then all of a sudden they change the staff get a new GM and the team starts winning ? To some case we saw it with Mangini and Rex we all wanted Mangini to coach a little more agressively on defense but he consistently put us in a bad positon with that bend but dont break philosophy. Rex proved our defense did much better applying pressure. Thats the difference in coaching. Rex deserves credit for that but Im sorry to say The guy is just not a head coach since all that talent has now dried up and got old and has not been replaced.

I'll wait until next year to revisit this with the Sanchez apologists. It's harder to argue this than it was Pennington.

Was this the same talent that helped them go 3-13 the prior year and only have two winning seasons in 12 years?? That team was absolutely putrid. They were dead last in points and bottom third in yards. Brees absolutely made that team in which they rebounded to 10-6. Good quarterbacks make their skill players better, that's just how it goes. You criticize people for making excuses for Rex, yet you are inexplicably trying to excuse one of the, if not the worst starting quarterbacks in the NFL. I sure as hell hope he can turn it around, I really do, I just am not going to hold my breath.

You know I've said it over and over I'm not sticking up for Marks play because turnovers do hurt and I think that's his biggest issue.

So having Tomlinson is putrid ? Gates Putrid ? Truner Putrid ? Sproles Putrid ? Yeah the Jets would nto want any of those guys on our elite roster. Come on man

You know who's putrid ? the Jets offense. Go ahead and make me the case on how any QB can come in here and run an offense that runs the ball for 2.8 YPC and a group of WR's that cant run good routes or catch the football.

I'll wait until next year to revisit this with the Sanchez apologists. It's harder to argue this than it was Pennington.

Vic its not going to change for Sanchez on this football team that much I can promise you . He not going to make bad players better. This team is so bad at the skill positions its going to get worse and Mark will be out of here in 2 years.

Why did you leave out Turner Sproles and Tomlinson ? Also Vincent Jackson came in for Rivers debut no ? Or did ya forget him too ? Weather you want to believe it or not The Chargers had solid offensive talent that got better every year. And yes having someone Like Tomlinson who was a threat every time he touched the ball had some effect on defenses dont ya think ?

Being stacked at RB does not constitute being "stacked at every skill position" as it was claimed. We had the #1 rushing attack his rookie year and #4 his 2nd year. And he still was an awful QB.

And when Rivers first started,, Eric Parker started more games than VJ. The other regular starter was 36 year old McCardell. And he was in a new system.

With all his faults, Rivers is twice the QB Sanchez is.

So you are saying LT in his prime with Gates and ANYONE at WR is not 1,000x better than the crap we roll out there each week?

Not defending Sanchez but let's not be silly when talking about his receiving/RB corps.

So you are saying LT in his prime with Gates and ANYONE at WR is not 1,000x better than the crap we roll out there each week?

Not defending Sanchez but let's not be silly when talking about his receiving/RB corps.

No. I'm saying that does not constitute being stacked at every skill position. That remark was an outright lie.

You know I've said it over and over I'm not sticking up for Marks play because turnovers do hurt and I think that's his biggest issue.

So having Tomlinson is putrid ? Gates Putrid ? Truner Putrid ? Sproles Putrid ? Yeah the Jets would nto want any of those guys on our elite roster. Come on man

You know who's putrid ? the Jets offense. Go ahead and make me the case on how any QB can come in here and run an offense that runs the ball for 2.8 YPC and a group of WR's that cant run good routes or catch the football.

I was referring to Brees going to New Orleans, which was as awful as a team could get, which he completely turned around. His starting WRs were Joe Horn, Terrence Copper, Devery Henderson and the second to last pick Colston. Their starting backs were McAllister and a crappy Reggie Bush. This wasn't an offense that scared anybody, and coming off shoulder surgery, in a new offense, with a rookie head coach and an entirely new team, he completed 65% of his passes for 4400+ yards and 26:11 tds:ints.

I can make the argument, however you'll most likely just try to say that our WRs are vastly inferior and their WRs never run poor routes or drop passes, but here it goes.

We are average 3.2 yards per carry on the season, the two teams that are worse than us?? The Steelers and Cardinals at a combined 6-1. I can easily make the case that big ben comes in here and has us 4-0. This receiving corp, with a healthy holmes and hill, is practically identical to the ones he's had in Pitt. Yea, arizona has fitzy, but kevin kolb is making andre roberts look like a stud and their Oline is absolutely horrendous. The bears average only 3.4 yards per carry, but are 3-1 while only one legit WR threat in Marshall. We're never going to know the answer, but the fact that Sanchez has been producing at historic lows, while clearly playing with a defense that is no worse the middle of the pack and a run game that's not worse in the league, should tell you something.

One of the main reasons the chargers were 3-13 that year was Bree's was HORRIBLE!

He threw 11 Tds and 15 ints.

And that was with an incredible LT.

Being stacked at RB does not constitute being "stacked at every skill position" as it was claimed. We had the #1 rushing attack his rookie year and #4 his 2nd year. And he still was an awful QB.

And when Rivers first started,, Eric Parker started more games than VJ. The other regular starter was 36 year old McCardell. And he was in a new system.

With all his faults, Rivers is twice the QB Sanchez is.

I suggest you look up the stats and the players you seem to think had no effect. maybe you should look up the year Tomlinson had 100 catches for Brees you should also look at Rivers first few years and who was in the line up for those years . There's a drop down at the top of the page and none of those years were particularly impressive for either QB other than the one year Brees had 27 TD's . if your going to tell me Sanchez has had anything even remotely close to the talent both Bree's and Rivers had coming into this league then your basically full of sh*t.

Rivers first year ALL the players mentioned were in place Gates Jackson McCardell Tomlinson Turner ..... Are you going to seriously compare that talent to what Sanchez has had to deal with ? You may also want to take a look at Brees first few years when he didn't have much talent around him other than Tomlinson and he did not play well at all. As the talent got better Brees got Better Its right there in black and white for ya to read

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/sd/year/2007

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/sd/year/2006

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/sd/year/2005

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/sd/year/2004

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/sd/year/2003

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/sd/year/2002

I was referring to Brees going to New Orleans, which was as awful as a team could get, which he completely turned around. His starting WRs were Joe Horn, Terrence Copper, Devery Henderson and the second to last pick Colston. Their starting backs were McAllister and a crappy Reggie Bush. This wasn't an offense that scared anybody, and coming off shoulder surgery, in a new offense, with a rookie head coach and an entirely new team, he completed 65% of his passes for 4400+ yards and 26:11 tds:ints.

I can make the argument, however you'll most likely just try to say that our WRs are vastly inferior and their WRs never run poor routes or drop passes, but here it goes.

We are average 3.2 yards per carry on the season, the two teams that are worse than us?? The Steelers and Cardinals at a combined 6-1. I can easily make the case that big ben comes in here and has us 4-0. This receiving corp, with a healthy holmes and hill, is practically identical to the ones he's had in Pitt. Yea, arizona has fitzy, but kevin kolb is making andre roberts look like a stud and their Oline is absolutely horrendous. The bears average only 3.4 yards per carry, but are 3-1 while only one legit WR threat in Marshall. We're never going to know the answer, but the fact that Sanchez has been producing at historic lows, while clearly playing with a defense that is no worse the middle of the pack and a run game that's not worse in the league, should tell you something.

Oh darn Brees had Mccallister Colston Bush Henderson and Joe Horn didnt they also have Lance Moore ? Yeah the Jets have that skill level too. Funny thing is the Saints just kept adding and adding talent each year. While the Jets subtract it.

I suggest you look up the stats and the players you seem to think had no effect. maybe you should look up the year Tomlinson had 100 catches for Brees you should also look at Rivers first few years and who was in the line up for those years . There's a drop down at the top of the page and none of those years were particularly impressive for either QB other than the one year Brees had 27 TD's . if your going to tell me Sanchez has had anything even remotely close to the talent both Bree's and Rivers had coming into this league then your basically full of sh*t.

Rivers first year ALL the players mentioned were in place Gates Jackson McCardell Tomlinson Turner ..... Are you going to seriously compare that talent to what Sanchez has had to deal with ? You may also want to take a look at Brees first few years when he didn't have much talent around him other than Tomlinson and he did not play well at all. As the talent got better Brees got Better Its right there in black and white for ya to read

http://espn.go.com/n...me/sd/year/2007

http://espn.go.com/n...me/sd/year/2006

http://espn.go.com/n...me/sd/year/2005

http://espn.go.com/n...me/sd/year/2004

http://espn.go.com/n...me/sd/year/2003

http://espn.go.com/n...me/sd/year/2002

You can rephrase what I said all you want. It was suggested that SD was stacked at every skill position. This is a false statement.

No one doubts the benefit of having great players like LT or the player Gates became. What is totally without basis is some sort of inference that being drafted by the Chargers would have led to Sanchez being more than a bottom-tier QB. Some guys just suck, and Sanchez is one of them. Look at his predecessor at USC, Leinart. He QBs the Cardinals and he's awful. Same team they throw Warner in there (past his prime) and he's a superstar again.

Oh darn Brees had Mccallister Colston Bush Henderson and Joe Horn didnt they also have Lance Moore ? Yeah the Jets have that skill level too. Funny thing is the Saints just kept adding and adding talent each year. While the Jets subtract it.

Those guys would all be scrubs and the object of your criticism if they were Jets with crappy numbers due to Sanchez.

Devery Henderson, lol. Yeah, Devery Henderson is freaking awesome.

Do you ever watch these guys play? He ducks away from pressure, evading it like he knew it was coming and then throws the ball with almost impossible accuracy. Sanchez is not, was not, and never will be an accurate QB who can feel pressure. He was terrible and is now worse than terrible.

Didnt sanchez have Cotchery Holmes Keller Edwards Plexico, LT..............U act like sanchez had crap at every position

Those guys would all be scrubs and the object of your criticism if they were Jets with crappy numbers due to Sanchez.

Devery Henderson, lol. Yeah, Devery Henderson is freaking awesome.

Do you ever watch these guys play? He ducks away from pressure, evading it like he knew it was coming and then throws the ball with almost impossible accuracy. Sanchez is not, was not, and never will be an accurate QB who can feel pressure. He was terrible and is now worse than terrible.

LOL at Devery Henderson why you LOLing for ? because he does not have the stats that impress you does that mean he does not fill a valid role on his football team ? Ive seen him make plenty of big catches maybe hes not a consistent force and thats why hes not a starter but he fills his role nicely IMO and is probably better than any Jet WR currently on our roster unless of course you can name one better of the group of which none even have 100 career catches.

One of the main reasons the chargers were 3-13 that year was Bree's was HORRIBLE!

He threw 11 Tds and 15 ints.

And that was with an incredible LT.

Once again, I was talking about the New Orleans saints. But if you are referring to Brees' second year at a starter when the Chargers went 4-12, yes that was a poor year, however, did you notice his following year where he then threw 27 tds 7 ints and 3000+ yards while completing 65% of his passes? This isn't even my point. My point was that he went to an awful Saints team and completely turned them around when the cupboard was totally bare. He turned a rookie 7th rounder into a probowler and a bunch of no-namers and over the hillers into an elite squad, because that's what a good QB does.

LOL at Devery Henderson why you LOLing for ? because he does not have the stats that impress you does that mean he does not fill a valid role on his football team ? Ive seen him make plenty of big catches maybe hes not a consistent force and thats why hes not a starter but he fills his role nicely IMO and is probably better than any Jet WR currently on our roster unless of course you can name one better of the group of which none even have 100 career catches.

I'm LOLing because Devery Henderson = Dedric Ward with Drew Brees as his QB.

Interesting someone mentions Colston, who was picked very late. He went to Hofstra, yet another guy under the noses of the Tannebaum/Bradway regime that they somehow overlooked and let someone else steal right from under them.

And Sanchez sucks.

Colston was a 7th round rookie who Brees turned into a probowler. Lance Moore didn't record a single reception. Joe Horn was 34 years old and only played one more season. 2nd year starter devery henderson who had all of 22 receptions prior to Brees and only 32 on the year. Their other starter?? Terrence freaking Copper. That was McCallister's last year as a somewhat productive back and as a team they only average 3.7 yards per carry, half a yard more than the jets currently. Their offense was 31st in points and 20th in yards prior to brees and then 5th and 1st the following year. They have finished first in two of the next three seasons following. Brees went into a terrible situation and made them better, something Sanchez cannot do.

Archived