Worst Case, Does Rex get the Axe after 1 Losing Season?

Jet27

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. Despite last season being an embarrassment and this season shaping up to be complete garbage, he isn't going anywhere. Not after one losing season that hasn't even happened yet.

Unless Tanny is fired, and the new GM wants nothing to do with Rex, he's our coach. We REALLY need upheaval at GM and the entire scouting department more than anything else.

How many times have I said it here... this franchise hasn't been able to draft QB or RB or WR for years, almost decades. The problem is bigger than Rex. The other constant with the Jets is that we don't have committed guys that play on this team regime after regime... guys flaked out on Herm, quit on Mangini, and walk all over Rex.

It is NOT whether Rex has a losing season that is determinitive. It's how the Jets lose.

If the Jets have a long losing streak with a bunch of blowout losses, then Woody would be forced to fire Rex. That has happened countless times to HCs.

In that sense, I strongly disagree with Bit because a blanket statement about Rex's job status can't be made without understanding all the variables.

In six of the past seven regular season games, the Jets have performed at an absolutely terrible and unacceptable level. If this continues, there is no doubt in my mind the Jets will have a complete rebuild of management, coaching, and personnel.

Probably not. Woody loves him and I think the majority of this mess really comes down to Tannenbaum. Plus the coaching pool for next year isn't nearly what it was when we canned Mangini. That was a big year for the FA coaching pool and I don't think this offseason is looking like it's going to produce much.

Woody isn't going to be in a rush to get rid of Rex by himself. If this keeps up though, Tanny is as good as gone and if the Jets get a new GM with a good enough rep, it could be the end of Rex if he wants to bring in his own guy. Even then, there's probably a decent chance Rex gets the treatment Mangini did with the Browns, of being given one last year with the new GM before he goes and finds his own guy. If Tanny stays, there's no way Rex is gone.

His teams have gotten worse every year. NTM his complete refusal to fix the offense.

From 09 to 10 they got better. Had a down year and are currently in first place of the division.

Bottom line is, you dont fire a HC who's never had a losing season, been to the playoffs 2 of 3 years, has 4 playoff victories, all with the worst QB in the NFL. They tried to fix the offense by bringing in a new OC, new WR coach, drafted a WR in the 2nd round, have used countless SB wining mid round picks on offense and brought in a FA WR. Doesnt look like it worked but saying he refused to fix the offense is false.

No way. He's here next year unless a new GM comes and shakes things up, which I dont see happening. He's a very good Head Coach.

not sure he's a great HEAD coach but a great coach, yes. As you know I'm with you on Rex love. I'll always root for him wherever he goes.

Not sure it will be here much longer. You're probably right though, he'll get another year.

not sure he's a great HEAD coach but a great coach, yes. As you know I'm with you on Rex love. I'll always root for him wherever he goes.

Not sure it will be here much longer. You're probably right though, he'll get another year.

I never said, "great" HC, I said very good. The truth is, there are very few "great" HC's in the NFL. And who is out there that is a definite upgrade?

I do think he's a great defensive coach. No doubt. Dont care what we've seen the first few weeks. Still believe that to be true. Mr. BB had the worst defense in the league last year but I dont think anyone would deny his ability to coach D.

Fans bring up the Cowher pipedream, but we can't forget the reports that Cowher wasn't interested in the Jets because Woody insisted that Tanny stay on as GM.

If this season turns into a trainwreck, we have to belive Tanny is gone and we can't rule out the strong possibility of Woody offering complete organizational control to Cowher to be HC & GM.

Fans bring up the Cowher pipedream, but we can't forget the reports that Cowher wasn't interested in the Jets because Woody insisted that Tanny stay on as GM.

If this season turns into a trainwreck, we have to belive Tanny is gone and we can't rule out the strong possibility of Woody offering complete organizational control to Cowher to be HC & GM.

Did you know the great Bill Cowher twice coached a team that was 6-10. You know who's never done that? Rex Ryan.

And if it does happen, then we're a mere 14 years from a Super Bowl, baby!

Why people think Bill Cowher is Vince Lombardi I'll never understand. He won't get 16 years to make it happen in NY.

Archived