But they have THREE Pro Bowlers!

I disagree with much of your post.

Yes, he had a very good, albeit lucky, first two seasons.

That said, he made the most of the luck, without winning a SB, which I do give him credit for.

I think Rex has some potential to be a good coach, but I am very concerned that in year 4 he still does not get a few very fundamental things.

If they bring in a true GM, and completely strip personnel power from Rex and let him focus on coaching, I would not be upset if they give him a year or two to see what he is.

If they leave him in the role he is in now, which is setting the direction of the franchise, from strategy to personnel, I think it will be a huge failure that will end terribly and set us back 5 extra years.

MEANWHILE...UNDER CENTER

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

Lot's of dynamic offenses have been built this way.

You will see, in 5 years this will be the norm, great center and crap everywhere else.

Or pretty much the opposite. From top to average, center has the least disparity, which lends credence to the idea of not paying for an elite center, when the dropoff between a top tackle/guard to their respective averages are much higher. While I love Mangold as much as the next guy, the returns on paying a Center that much money isn't justified. What you're going to see is just average to above average lineman at every position and not paying LTs the exorbitant amounts that they have been, probably starting with jake long this offseason.

Definitely a problem, one of many serious problems.

Merely pointing out the hypocritical nature of your statement. You make various excuses for Sanchezs lack of progression but hold Rex accountable.

I agree with you on one point. The Jets need a GM who is a talent evaluator and drafts the team with a bit of Rex's input. Tanny seems to let coaches make the picks.

Yeah, I think its time to move on....

Rexy gets credit, yet Sanchez gets none.

It's completely illogical.

With me, he gets almost as much credit as Rex does, for the first two years success, and for the last 20 horrid games.

They both have the rest of this season to turn it around, or else......

BD

My expectation of the season is that we are going to end up as a 5-6 win team.

For a team 2 years removed from the AFCC Game, that is a pretty drastic decline, with personnel that looks to be very un-competitve for the future as well, a ton of holes.

I think Rex's message is getting old. I think he is the kind of coach who can be a stick of dynamite, and be explosive at first but fizzle out without the ability to re-light.

If he finishes 8-8, or better, I will quiet down on my criticism.

If not, this is his hand picked team, coaching staff, and the direction he wanted to go in. You would really like to see your team be on the uphill slope, not the downhill, and certainly not a drastic downhill slope.

Im not sure what the hell to expect this season. A lot of it will depend on when we get Keller and Hill back at (or close to) 100%. Losing Revis and Holmes for the season is definitely going to hurt. Not sure if those injuries are something you can blame Rex for. I have a feeling our passing game, and offense as a whole, would be much better with Keller and either Holmes or Hill in there and healthy.

What you can blame Rex for is the run defense. And QB pressure. Both seem almost non-existent. We rarely blitz, rarely crowd the line, and the DL is failing to collapse the pocket. At least when we blitzed against the Niners, Smith had a mental clock in his head and he rushed and overthrew some throws to Manningham that could have easily been TD's. Sometimes just knowing the defense is coming is enough to scare the QB into making some mistakes. We saw that a lot in 09 and 10. Not much since.

I don't think I said that, but to that analogy, if you have a decent engine, but a bad starter, and crap wheels, you will have a crap car.

Hell, take a great engine, put it in a car with bad breaks, bad wheels, and crap suspension and you will have a crap car.

Now, take a decent engine, put it in a car with great wheels, great suspension, you will have a pretty nice ride.

great engine, transmission and rear gearing don't match? that car ain't gonna drive right.

With me, he gets almost as much credit as Rex does, for the first two years success, and for the last 20 horrid games.

They both have the rest of this season to turn it around, or else......

BD

"Horrid" being 10-10, for the record.

Edited by stoicsentry

Yep i warned everyone of this, all responses i got were this team is 10-6 and a WC. even adam schein drank koolaid and i called him out over it.. Hell has begun.............

Yeah, um, with us losing Revis, Holmes, Keller and Hill for extended periods - that's kinda like taking Arian Foster, Brian Cushing and Andre Johnson off of the Texans...

So, of course they're not going to be 10-6 now. No one anticipates losing their #1 player on defense and their #1 receiver for the entire season, and going extend periods without their #2 receiver or #1 tight end, to boot? On a team where the offense was already the weak link?

Edited by stoicsentry

Yeah, um, with us losing Revis, Holmes, Keller and Hill for extended periods - that's kinda like taking Arian Foster, Brian Cushing and Andre Johnson off of the Texans...

Dude team was healthy last yr 8-8 was result. No depth on this team, In Tanny we Trust LMAO

Dude team was healthy last yr 8-8 was result. No depth on this team, In Tanny we Trust LMAO

Can an 8-8 team drop to 6-10? Surely you believe they can. So why couldn't they just as well improve to 10-6? (Note - they were 11-5 the season before).

They definitely could have gone 10-6. They probably could have gone 8-8 with Revis, despite all the offensive injuries. But now we're looking at, what, 5-11? 6-10 maybe?

Yes, injuries are a part of football and yes, the GM is responsible no matter what. But we definitely got the short end of the injury stick this year. I'm not even saying give Tanny another year. If you want him out of the door next year regardless of the injuries, so be it. Just trying to keep things in perspective - few teams can sustain injuries of this magnitude.

• Upvote 1

Can an 8-8 team drop to 6-10? Surely you believe they can. So why couldn't they just as well improve to 10-6? (Note - they were 11-5 the season before).

They definitely could have gone 10-6. They probably could have gone 8-8 with Revis, despite all the offensive injuries. But now we're looking at, what, 5-11? 6-10 maybe?

Yes, injuries are a part of football and yes, the GM is responsible no matter what. But we definitely got the short end of the injury stick this year. I'm not even saying give Tanny another year. If you want him out of the door next year regardless of the injuries, so be it. Just trying to keep things in perspective - few teams can sustain injuries of this magnitude.

your season shouldn't be over if you lose a cornerback.

your season shouldn't be over if you lose a cornerback.

No, it shouldn't. Don't get me wrong, it's unusual. But Revis is an unusual talent - playing a position that is "meaningless" and yet making such a monumental difference. Kinda like how RB doesn't matter, and yet if you have Emmit Smith or Barry Sanders, it does. Or safety doesn't matter, but if you have Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu, it does.

And I wouldn't downplay the losses to Holmes (best offensive weapon), Hill (only 3 starting caliber WR's on the roster, and he's 1 of them), or Keller (Sanchez' favorite target.) I like Kerley, but we're basically missing our 3 biggest offensive weapons right now.

Edited by stoicsentry

So, of course they're not going to be 10-6 now. No one anticipates losing their #1 player on defense and their #1 receiver for the entire season, and going extend periods without their #2 receiver or #1 tight end, to boot? On a team where the offense was already the weak link?

Last year the Texans lost Matt Schaub in the 10th game, Mario Williams in the 5th game, and only had Andre Johnson for 6 meaningful games. Amazingly they managed to go 10-6. With the exception of an injury to a Grade A QB, injuries can be overcome. When they cant be it exposes depth problems that come from the decisions the front office has made.

In 2009 the Jets had one of the worst statistical QBs in the NFL and for the first 4 games of the season the powerful receiving core of Jerricho Cotchery, Chansi Stuckey, and David Clowney. They lost their starting OLB due to a PED suspension and replaced him with Vernon Gholston. They lost their starting nose tackle and most explosive offensive player, two guys who everyone claimed they could never afford to lose. The team should have been much better than 9-7 and still ended up advancing to the AFC championship team. It was just a better assembled team that could deal with starting both Sanchez and Gholston and losing key members all along the way. If they cant do the same here it just speaks to the poor job they have done assembling the team.

True that. Cowboys totally would have been the exact same team without Deion.

no....but if you're a playoff team and trying to win a championship losing a cornerback shouldn't derail your whole season. patriots lost tom brady and still went 11-5 that year.

no....but if you're a playoff team and trying to win a championship losing a cornerback shouldn't derail your whole season. patriots lost tom brady and still went 11-5 that year.

11-5, 8-8, 6-10...doesn't make a difference tbh.

Like you said, trying to win a championship. The Pats team you referenced...did it win a Super Bowl? Isn't the goal of that team every year to win the Super Bowl? 11-5 wasn't a successful year.

Last year the Texans lost Matt Schaub in the 10th game, Mario Williams in the 5th game, and only had Andre Johnson for 6 meaningful games. Amazingly they managed to go 10-6.

well... they are 2-2. the Jets could still go 10-6 (look at the schedule)... but the fan base would say it was a failure.

11-5, 8-8, 6-10...doesn't make a difference tbh.

Like you said, trying to win a championship. The Pats team you referenced...did it win a Super Bowl? Isn't the goal of that team every year to win the Super Bowl? 11-5 wasn't a successful year.

doesn't matter anyway. our defense was looking like hot garbage when revis WAS playing