Bear fan killed in Jacksonville

faba

3 hours ago

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a Chicago Bears fan who came to Jacksonville for the Bears-Jaguars football game had his throat slashed inside a bar.

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office says 42-year-old William C. ``Chris'' Pettry died early Sunday inside Fionn MacCool's, an Irish-themed restaurant at The Jacksonville Landing.

Twenty-seven-year-old Matthew Hinson is being held without bond on a murder charge. Jacksonville Jail records didn't list an attorney for Hinson.

A news release issued by the sheriff's office on Monday says witnesses told detectives that Hinson cut Pettry's throat, put the bloody knife in his pocket and calmly walked out of the restaurant.

Pettry lived in Lake Villa, Ill., about 50 miles from Chicago.

Pettry's cousin, Quincy Asbury Jr., told The Chicago Tribune that Pettry flew to Florida on Friday to go to the Bears-Jaguars game.

Look, I'm in no way justifying this at all, but I will say that 100% of the time that an opposing fan gets into something this drastic, it's their fault it even got started in the first place. With Bears fans this gets escalated by a billion since they're the most vocal base in the world once they get liquored up. Minor confrontations aside, the only thing that could drive a person to react like this to someone else is if they just wouldn't shut the **** up and he determined that the only possible way to get him to would be to slit his throat.

The moral of the story is that if you're rooting for an opposing team on someone else's turf, shut your face and mind your business no matter what happens either way. People will stab you.

Look, I'm in no way justifying this at all, but I will say that 100% of the time that an opposing fan gets into something this drastic, it's their fault it even got started in the first place. With Bears fans this gets escalated by a billion since they're the most vocal base in the world once they get liquored up. Minor confrontations aside, the only thing that could drive a person to react like this to someone else is if they just wouldn't shut the **** up and he determined that the only possible way to get him to would be to slit his throat.

The moral of the story is that if you're rooting for an opposing team on someone else's turf, shut your face and mind your business no matter what happens either way. People will stab you.

It's true. I'm pretty shocked the Jets-Niners game ended without incident with all the SF fans in attendance. Our fan base is soft.

I like to think of us as numbingly affable. What can we really say back at this point? Outside of a jerkstore retort we've got nothing.

Well sure, most of us are. But all it takes is 1 or 2 drunk guys to take a football game super-duper srsly and then sh*t goes down.

When walking to the other side of the bar just won;t do?

You tell me. You're a large, frightening looking individual that looks like he's seen more than his fair share of confrontations. Do drunk people tend to react reasonably in bars when someone else annoys them?

Large, Frightening and confrontational? My feelings are hurt. Your a mean person and I hope your penis falls off.

I am calling BS.

I do not care how big of an ass the Bears fan or any team's fan is, there is no spinning this.

If you are that butt hurt over your team's failures, grow the f up, stop watching them or get a new team.

The bolded sentence is sound advice. The rest is a bunch of off the wall rubbish and I can't believe you think this way.

Oh damn. My bad. Sorry Rutgers.

I think drunk and mad is a lot like horny and mad. Discretion be damned and you better get it over with before you sober up.

Yeah, pretty much. My point was that reasonably minded people should really stop kidding themselves in thinking they can just act however they want in any and all given contexts without thinking there won't be some sort of consequence. There are batsh*t crazy people out there who will stab you over their football team, or if they see you talking to their wife, or whatever. And basically if you want to minimize your chances of getting stabbed, it's a good thing to keep in mind.

So here's the skinny. Nobody really knows what happened but this is a pretty decent sized establishment right on the St. John's River. Its close to a couple of hotels, so lots of Bears fan were hanging out there. They have an outside band on the patio where a lot of people were hanging out and drinking. The stabber was their with his wife. He went to the bar to get a drink or went to the bathroom or something and came back to the patio to see this Bears fan talking to his wife. Their was a brief discussion outside, nothing to crazy, and the two of them came inside to "talk it out" or whatever. They were off to the side of the restaurant in a some what quiet area near the front door, nobody really paying any attention and apparently the disgruntled husband left a 4 inch hole in the Bear fans jugular. The man discretely put his knife into his pocket and walked out the front door. Nobody even the saw incident, just a bloody man holding his neck with blood gushing out like a faucet.

Most of the staff that seemed to have a pulse on it, said it really had nothing to do with Football. It was this dude hitting on the psycho's wife.

Lol, yes, I'm trying to spin a senseless murder. Get real dude.

Spin was not the right word, but your quasi-justification of the murder's actions, "the only thing that could drive a person to react like this to someone else is if they just wouldn't shut the **** up and he determined that the only possible way to get him to would be to slit his throat." is wrong.

Spin was not the right word, but your quasi-justification of the murder's actions...

You're right. It's a quasi-justification, that's exactly why I said in the very first sentence, "I'm in no way justifying this..."

Let's not let reading get in the way of trying to take the moral high ground and sit on a cloud of judgement though.

Quasi-justification for a murder. Lol. Just lol. Get a grip man.

So here's the skinny. Nobody really knows what happened but this is a pretty decent sized establishment right on the St. John's River. Its close to a couple of hotels, so lots of Bears fan were hanging out there. They have an outside band on the patio where a lot of people were hanging out and drinking. The stabber was their with his wife. He went to the bar to get a drink or went to the bathroom or something and came back to the patio to see this Bears fan talking to his wife. Their was a brief discussion outside, nothing to crazy, and the two of them came inside to "talk it out" or whatever. They were off to the side of the restaurant in a some what quiet area near the front door, nobody really paying any attention and apparently the disgruntled husband left a 4 inch hole in the Bear fans jugular. The man discretely put his knife into his pocket and walked out the front door. Nobody even the saw incident, just a bloody man holding his neck with blood gushing out like a faucet.

Most of the staff that seemed to have a pulse on it, said it really had nothing to do with Football. It was this dude hitting on the psycho's wife.

Suddenly I feel like a fat fluffy angel. LOL

Archived