Sanchez sucks.

Sperm Edwards

If they lose by less than 3 TD's Ill be surprised. They barely beat Pittsburgh and BYU.

heh Im a ND fan I have to say that Matt . :) they do seem to play to the level of their competition so that leads me to believe no matter who they play it will be a close game. bama or georgia ?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Testaverde is 6'4'-5" with a cannon for an arm. The one insight Ted Marchibroda and then Parcells had was if he threw the ball 40 yards upfield for an INT, it was no worse than a punt, so don't worry about it. And Testaverde was mentally tough, or at least way more than Sanchez. Nobody is calling Sanchez off his couch after his 40th birthday.

Testaverde was the premiere prospect coming out of college. He had something like 7 different offensive coordinators in his first 7 seasons. Tampa Bay was also a miracle of incompetence worse than the Jets. They made both Testaverde and Steve Young look like busts.

Looking back now, I see that after Vinny was taken #1 that Kelly Stouffer was taken #6 (about the same as Sanchez was when we reached for him). I guess Seattle mismanaged him because he was a top prospect who would have had a good, long career instead of a permanently ruined one, if only they developed him properly like Tampa Bay did with Testaverde then he would have shown them all.

I'd be surprised if he goes Top Ten. ND has all sorts of media euphoria strapped to it right now. They'll get blown out by Alabama, Teo will get steamrolled and outrun by Alabama's backs, and everyone will come back to earth with that noise, I think.

IMO ND is going to have to keep up with Bama defensively. Te'o is fantastic but Nix is the real treasure on that unit. Him vs Jones is going to be the deciding factor in terms of if ND can compete.

Saban's linebackers are going to be too much for them to handle me thinks. The way he switches out guys like Dickson and Hubbard for Mosley is insane. I'm pulling for the Irish and I will say that if there's one coach who might be able to figure out Saban on the fly it's Kelly. Both guys are brilliant.

Seriously? Te'o is way better than Hawk. Just watch the games.

Hawk was a better prospect. Te'o is very good. Really smart decision that he stayed, he's turned into a very complete player. Certainly checks out on tape and if his cone and sprint times prove legit he'll be fine. Reminds me a lot of London Fletcher actually.

Te'o isn't as good as AJ Hawk was, and Hawk has sucked in the pros.

They played two different positions and keep in mind that LB core around Hawk was insanely good. But when it comes to the draft MLBs get valued distinctly lower and Hawk managed to go very high in one of the deepest drafts ever.

I think Te'o should be fine in the pros. The difference between him and the classic busts is that kid's acumen is insanely high. He'll be able to step in and start and run a D very early (maybe day one) and that's huge for draft value.

They played two different positions and keep in mind that LB core around Hawk was insanely good. But when it comes to the draft MLBs get valued distinctly lower and Hawk managed to go very high in one of the deepest drafts ever.

I think Te'o should be fine in the pros. The difference between him and the classic busts is that kid's acumen is insanely high. He'll be able to step in and start and run a D very early (maybe day one) and that's huge for draft value.

I know it's semantics, but the idea of drafting Te'o with the 25th pick makes a lot more sense to me than drafting him with the 5th pick. It goes back to his lack of outstanding measurables and the position itself. He's actually the kind of player I like--tons of production, leader, character--but if the Jets end up with the 6th overall pick, I'll have an aneurysm if Te'o is the pick there. If they get him at the top of the second round, though? I'd be pleased.

And? So what? Don't act like the SEC is some impenetrable force that can't be beaten.

It's not that they're unbeatable, it's just the gap that you're seeing in size, speed, talent...etc is much greater than anywhere else. By the time a team like Bama gets to the BCS their players have been playing NFL prospects week after week, so there's not going to be much adjustment. For a team like ND who's seeing that level of talent only once or twice a year it's much more difficult. Kelly's great but it's exactly why he got blown out in the Sugar Bowl two years back. Cinci was completely overwhelmed right from the start because they hadn't encountered anything like that all year.

I know it's semantics, but the idea of drafting Te'o with the 25th pick makes a lot more sense to me than drafting him with the 5th pick. It goes back to his lack of outstanding measurables and the position itself. He's actually the kind of player I like--tons of production, leader, character--but if the Jets end up with the 6th overall pick, I'll have an aneurysm if Te'o is the pick there. If they get him at the top of the second round, though? I'd be pleased.

I agree that I wouldn't pick him that high, but he'll be a good pick no matter where he goes. I think he is more built for a 4-3.

I agree that I wouldn't pick him that high, but he'll be a good pick no matter where he goes. I think he is more built for a 4-3.

But is he a two-down linebacker in the 4-3? I know he's got nice instincts, but will he run well enough to play the middle in a passing league?

Agreed. Jets don't have the luxury of going ILB early and even talking ILBs is pointless right now until we see who the next coach is, (though I'm certainly hoping we can hold on to Pettine). Jets will either go passrusher or shore up the line. Sucks but the QB concerns, Sanchez or no Sanchez, aren't going anywhere, meaning the only way we're moving the ball again is going back to investing that heavily up front again.

Agreed. Jets don't have the luxury of going ILB early and even talking ILBs is pointless right now until we see who the next coach is, (though I'm certainly hoping we can hold on to Pettine). Jets will either go passrusher or shore up the line. Sucks but the QB concerns, Sanchez or no Sanchez, aren't going anywhere, meaning the only way we're moving the ball again is going back to investing that heavily up front again.

IIRC, Jason has been suggesting for months that both Bart and David Harris will/should be cut loose this off-season, so there might be some motivation there to bring in the star player from college football's most visible team. I have fears. I have fears.

IIRC, Jason has been suggesting for months that both Bart and David Harris will/should be cut loose this off-season, so there might be some motivation there to bring in the star player from college football's most visible team. I have fears. I have fears.

Between this and your recent Gruden-mongering, I can see why.

Testaverde was the premiere prospect coming out of college. He had something like 7 different offensive coordinators in his first 7 seasons. Tampa Bay was also a miracle of incompetence worse than the Jets. They made both Testaverde and Steve Young look like busts.

Looking back now, I see that after Vinny was taken #1 that Kelly Stouffer was taken #6 (about the same as Sanchez was when we reached for him). I guess Seattle mismanaged him because he was a top prospect who would have had a good, long career instead of a permanently ruined one, if only they developed him properly like Tampa Bay did with Testaverde then he would have shown them all.

Way to take what I said way out of context.

Jason got that from me fwiw. I don't see any way how this team can keep Harris. The money simply isn't there for it. Tannenbaum's second worst contract most def.

Way too early to even know if they'd look at Te'o. Like I said we have to see who they replace Rex with because if we're sticking with a 3-4 there is 0% chance they'd consider him. LB's will be top priority regardless. Definitely should see them make a play in FA and in the draft. IMO this offseason is going to be all LBs and OL.

Testaverde is 6'4'-5" with a cannon for an arm. The one insight Ted Marchibroda and then Parcells had was if he threw the ball 40 yards upfield for an INT, it was no worse than a punt, so don't worry about it. And Testaverde was mentally tough, or at least way more than Sanchez. Nobody is calling Sanchez off his couch after his 40th birthday.

Testaverde was widely considered the dumbest QB in the NFL (thus his early JAG status)i until the light bulb clicked on later in his career. Sometimes we remember only what we want to.

No they're not. I have no dog in this race, but Notre Dame is going to get rolled. The speed gap is enormous.

I'm a casual ND fan, but this is the reality. The SEC in general and Bama in particular are playing at a higher speed. And scumbag that he is Saban will have his team primed.

Testaverde was widely considered the dumbest QB in the NFL (thus his early JAG status)i until the light bulb clicked on later in his career. Sometimes we remember only what we want to.

Having 7 different OCs early didn't help. And really he was no more brilliant or dumber than Jim Kelly or Dan Marino.It doesn't really matter eiterh way. You probably need a short term memory indifference to succeed anyway. Sanchez might beat Testaverde at checkers, but I'd rather have Vinny behind center.

Archived