The on-side kick

Jetsfan80

Didn't see a thread on this and I think it deserves it's own topic.

I thought it was a gutsy choice. Some (The Ape) have questioned whether this team has balls. Well between the 2nd successful fake punt this season and the on-side attempt, we can at least put to bed the idea that the coaching staff has lost it's aggressiveness.

Now, the end result may not have hinged on this. No guarantee at all we drive down the field and score, especially since Sanchez was unable to get us into the end zone on our final scoring drive.

That being said, Schillens has GOT to come down with that ball. He's an NFL receiver on the hands team for our specials, and it was absolutely PERFECT execution by Folk on the kick.

You also have to give props to the defense for holding Houston to a FG on their ensuing drive despite the short field.

Thoughts?

The onside kick........was a bad idea, but didn't cost them the game.

They had the momentum. They didn't need a spark, or a momentum shift.

They were only down by six. Why basically hand the Texans another 3 points? It's a low-percentage play

If you look at the replay (I have the game on DVR), if the Jets recovered, the texans would've challenged and won.

Schilens touched it early. It's very close, but he did touch it early. When you see the replay, it didn't make it ten yards anyway....

BD

Schilens touched it early. It's very close, but he did touch it early. When you see the replay, it didn't make it ten yards anyway....

Good point. I was wondering about that. If Schillens recovers and they give the Jets the ball, you can argue there isn't enough clear evidence to say he touched it early to overturn the call. Never know. Either way, he's GOT to come down with it.

Good point. I was wondering about that. If Schillens recovers and they give the Jets the ball, you can argue there isn't enough clear evidence to say he touched it early to overturn the call. Never know. Either way, he's GOT to come down with it.

When you're running, and a onside kick is really bouncing away from you, VERY TOUGH to catch it.

Most people catch it when it's kicked to them, or it's already been touched.....

BD

I thought he touched it early too. I think that may have contributed to him muffing it. Schillens may have been worried about touching it early and he jumped and didn't go after it hard probably because he'd have obviously touched it early if he had. He also got rocked. I don't mind the decision and I'm not going to kill the guy for the execution. You ALWAYS have the momentum when you try an onsides kick. Unless it's to start the game or the half you need to score ot kick off.

When you're running, and a onside kick is really bouncing away from you, VERY TOUGH to catch it.

Most people catch it when it's kicked to them, or it's already been touched.....

BD

I'm not saying it isn't difficult. But that's why they practice it over and over again. Schillens had 2 hands on the ball with it cradled into his chest for a brief moment. That was more than enough of an opportunity.

It was a good decision, undermined because a scab WR once again dropped the ball.

other than the onsides kick - which is not the easiest thing to catch - I thought Schillens was a bright spot in an otherwise listless offense. He actually caught everything thrown his way and was pretty much equivalent to Holmes.

I'm not saying it isn't difficult. But that's why they practice it over and over again. Schillens had 2 hands on the ball with it cradled into his chest for a brief moment. That was more than enough of an opportunity.

It's a low-percentage play anyway.

Every kick is different. You could practice that 100 times in a day, and still only convert it 15 times. I can't give him stuff for that.

BD

The onside kick........was a bad idea, but didn't cost them the game.

They had the momentum. They didn't need a spark, or a momentum shift.

They were only down by six. Why basically hand the Texans another 3 points? It's a low-percentage play

If you look at the replay (I have the game on DVR), if the Jets recovered, the texans would've challenged and won.

BD

According to your logic, we would only be allowed to onside kick to start the game or after half time since we can only kick off after a score and will always have momentum. We needed to throw haymakers this game, they are a better football team.

other than the onsides kick - which is not the easiest thing to catch - I thought Schillens was a bright spot in an otherwise listless offense. He actually caught everything thrown his way and was pretty much equivalent to Holmes.

I agree except for that last part. If he caught everything thrown his way how was he eqivalent to Holmes?

I thought it was a riskier call than the situation called for at that point. I didn't HATE it, but I don't trust the defense enough at this point to hold them scoreless or even to a field goal. That said, this is probably the best game the defense has played so far as a unit, so I'm pleased they did manage to keep Houston to only 23 points.

i loved the onsides kick decision

the way that their offense was controlling the football, for 8 minute drives or whatever, worse case the Texans score quick and get the ball back down 2 TD but with time enough to come back.

As do I. If you're going to beat a good team like the Texans with this deficient offense, you ahve to take some chances .

Rex said in his presser - "he came here to win" - I support it 100% and love the attitude. In this specific situation. Where our team is like a MASH unit and we're playing one of the top 2 teams in the game after being destroyed by the other one the game prior. We had momentum and damn near pulled it off.

Against a team we could beat 50+% of the time - it would have been a poor move. You take that 3 off the board and we could have tied it up late in the game.

Agreed. Love that they showed some balls finally. Too bad those same gutsy coaches left Sanchez in the game. At this point, the Jets have nuts when its convenient but not 100%. Sanchez is officially the most chicken-sh*t player I've ever seen. Zero confidence.

It's a low-percentage play anyway.

Every kick is different. You could practice that 100 times in a day, and still only convert it 15 times. I can't give him stuff for that.

BD

It's a low-percentage play ONLY because of the odds of the kicking team player being in the position to recover the ball. In other words, once the kicking team player has both hands of the ball, it is actually a high-percentage play. Chaz simply dropped it. There's no difference between that play at that point from a receiver catching the ball in the air, having 2 hands on it, and then the safety hitting him and the receiver dropping the ball.

I dont like the onside kick... however... I understand completely why Rex does it there.

The defense had just been on the field for 7:42. Then the kick return... if you kick off deep, you may only pick up 30 yards... starting at the Jets 46 isnt a terrible place to start.

Now... the defense has got to do better than allow a FG there. First play goes for 30 yards?? Bullsh!t. Im glad they then stood up and stopped them after that, but they allowed too many big plays.

Didn't see a thread on this and I think it deserves it's own topic.

I thought it was a gutsy choice. Some (The Ape) have questioned whether this team has balls. Well between the 2nd successful fake punt this season and the on-side attempt, we can at least put to bed the idea that the coaching staff has lost it's aggressiveness.

Now, the end result may not have hinged on this. No guarantee at all we drive down the field and score, especially since Sanchez was unable to get us into the end zone on our final scoring drive.

That being said, Schillens has GOT to come down with that ball. He's an NFL receiver on the hands team for our specials, and it was absolutely PERFECT execution by Folk on the kick.

You also have to give props to the defense for holding Houston to a FG on their ensuing drive despite the short field.

Thoughts?

The sad part is if we don't have that INT at the end of the first half we in all likelyhood don't even have to think about the onside kick.

Loved the call. Home game, nothing to lose, would have totally changed the momentum of the game and maybe even the season. Not to mention the practical aspect that nobody really seemed to be ready for it. I think when this season is over we're really going to be wondering how the season would have gone if Schillens had caught that ball.

I loved the call. Showed Rex' cajones hadn't shriveled up like some here had claimed. Also, to those saying it was short, the ref had even said that there was no flag and that the ball had gone ten yards. Those plays are very close because of the angles that the cameras are on. Schilens still has to catch it though.

Didn't really mind the call but the Jets were only down one score, if Rex doesn't trust his D to stand up and make a few stops, it's time to pack it in and try again in 2013.

the defense was just on the field for nearly 8 minutes... i think it's less trust than wanting to take advantage of the momentum, taking them by surprise, and trying to get the defense some rest.

Archived