Trade Greene to Arizona or Green Bay

Jetsfan80

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a question of what message this sends to the world. When you are ground and pound and you let go of your #1 RB that means you are raising the white flag of surrender for this season. Woody would not want that. So its not going to happen.

I would prefer we acquire a few picks and get some talent around these parts.

When was the last time you could actually use 'Ground and Pound' when referring to the Jets?

The Packers just lost Cedric Benson for 8+ weeks and have James Starks and Alex Green as their options. The Cardinals are in even worse shape, with Ryan Williams joining Beanie Wells on IR. They're left with a RBBC of Larod Stephens-Howling, William Powell, and Alonso Smith.

The Colts have a pretty bad run defense, so we can only hope Greene has a productive day.

Following the Indy game, deal Greene to one of these two teams for a conditional pick while he's in his contract year. Get anything you can get for him and roll with Bilal Powell as the starter. Any reason this is a bad idea?

Greene has less trade value now, than he did when I suggested we trade him and sign Benson in the pre-season. One more thing I was right about... I'm a genius!!!! :)

There are guys on practice squads all over the NFL with more talent than Shonn Greene.

Finally you and I agree on something.

I want the rest of you geniuses to consider the above.

Greene has less trade value now, than he did when I suggested we trade him and sign Benson in the pre-season. One more thing I was right about... I'm a genius!!!! :)

Yes, you are. The fact that the old piece of crap broke down is why 80 brought this stupidity up in the first place. You people are all insane. A 5ht round pick? Yippee.

When Greene gets tackled after a rare 1st down run, he comes up like he just got shot.

When Tebow gets tackled after a 1st down run, he jumps up, starts pumping his fists, and damn near gets everyone chanting "USA!" like its the WWE.

There's no debate as to who I'd prefer to get the ball more going forward.

Greene is not afraid of contact. In fact he seeks it out, instead of looking for running room. Not an admirable trait if you want to be a workload guy.

The Packers just lost Cedric Benson for 8+ weeks and have James Starks and Alex Green as their options. The Cardinals are in even worse shape, with Ryan Williams joining Beanie Wells on IR. They're left with a RBBC of Larod Stephens-Howling, William Powell, and Alonso Smith.

The Colts have a pretty bad run defense, so we can only hope Greene has a productive day.

Following the Indy game, deal Greene to one of these two teams for a conditional pick while he's in his contract year. Get anything you can get for him and roll with Bilal Powell as the starter. Any reason this is a bad idea?

Maybe someone else mentioned but I'm too lazy to look...what do you think you get back for Greene at this point? A 5th or 6th round pick...?

The other thing is this...Ownership wants to sell seats...GM/Rex want to maintain some semblance of competitiveness...unattractive teams do not sell tickets or make an argument to keep these two guys who most likely still want a job.

Its not us referring to the JETS its what the JETS identify themselves as. Whether its off base or not is not relevant.

Yeah right and that is why Rex was just on ESPN radio trying to explain running game

"we have to find a way to get that ground game going"

Maybe once they get that going they can start pounding again.

Yes, you are. The fact that the old piece of crap broke down is why 80 brought this stupidity up in the first place. You people are all insane. A 5ht round pick? Yippee.

I think you are missing the overall point. My point was to unload Greene for whatever we could get for him, before his value plummeted as we've seen this year. Get him out of here, don't suffer the wrath of his 2 yards and down on first contact, or the risk of taht dipsh*t Mike T re-signing him for RB second contract money.

It wasn't about getting Benson, it was about jettisoning Greene. Benson was just an available body who old or not would have contributed about as much as Greene has, for less money and we ccould have theoretically gained a late round draft pick or depth at just about any position that we have NO depth at.

But you go ahead and keep shaking your fists like you know.

Greene is not afraid of contact. In fact he seeks it out, instead of looking for running room. Not an admirable trait if you want to be a workload guy.

Greene likes to make contact with his own blockers.... and the turf.

I think you are missing the overall point. My point was to unload Greene for whatever we could get for him, before his value plummeted as we've seen this year. Get him out of here, don't suffer the wrath of his 2 yards and down on first contact, or the risk of taht dipsh*t Mike T re-signing him for RB second contract money.

It wasn't about getting Benson, it was about jettisoning Greene. Benson was just an available body who old or not would have contributed about as much as Greene has, for less money and we ccould have theoretically gained a late round draft pick or depth at just about any position that we have NO depth at.

Benson can't contribute sh*t. He's got a Lisfranc injury and if Greene is getting 2 ypc then Benson would get 1.7. You keep sitting in your tree flinging poop, but Greene is our best RB and you want to trade him for "depth". It would be comical if you weren't serious.

Yeah right and that is why Rex was just on ESPN radio trying to explain running game

"we have to find a way to get that ground game going"

Maybe once they get that going they can start pounding again.

Really are we going to talk about just today and forget every bit of the last 4 years or even the last year or even the last 3 months.

Benson can't contribute sh*t. He's got a Lisfranc injury and if Greene is getting 2 ypc then Benson would get 1.7. You keep sitting in your tree flinging poop, but Greene is our best RB and you want to trade him for "depth". It would be comical if you weren't serious.

This is a garbage response. Benson obviously wasn't hurt over a month ago when I originally suggested this idea. You still seem to miss the point, I just wanted to unload Greene because he sucks... all you are focused on is trying to prove Greene is better than Benson, when the reality is they are both HORRIBLE.

Benson was just a means to the end of getting Greene off this team, without having to have to cut him... which I can assure you we'd have done by now if we had any other options behind him.

Really are we going to talk about just today and forget every bit of the last 4 years or even the last year or even the last 3 months.

Yes we are for right now the Jets have NO IDENTITY and until they can define who they are, especially with the loss of Revis and Tone they will struggle leaving us fans with a whole lot of ugliness.

It will if Tannenbaum isn't the one here making the picks. We'll lose Greene after the season regardless so might as well get something better than a compensatory pick.

I think we could get a 5th out of him.

Jeremy Kerley was a 5th round pick for Tannenbaum. I would say that was a pretty good pick.

But if it ends up being a 6th rounder, we could get someone like Matt Slauson, a 6th round pick by Tannenbaum. I would say that was a pretty good pick, too.

Yes we are for right now the Jets have NO IDENTITY and until they can define who they are, especially with the loss of Revis and Tone they will struggle leaving us fans with a whole lot of ugliness.

Our poor play right now will not play into the decision to trade him if there is a market for him. If all the JETS have professed is they are 'ground and pound' team and the media refers to it in every JETS discussion and the common fan is dialed into that label (not the experts over here) then the JETS are not going to do the trade. That's assuming if their was a market for Shonee Greene.

Jeremy Kerley was a 5th round pick for Tannenbaum. I would say that was a pretty good pick.

But if it ends up being a 6th rounder, we could get someone like Matt Slauson, a 6th round pick by Tannenbaum. I would say that was a pretty good pick, too.

These have been Tannenbaum's 5th and 6th round picks since he was hired in 2006 as GM:

5th: TE Jason Pociask, Wisconsin

6th: CB Drew Coleman, TCU

5th: NONE

6th: OT Jacob Bender, Nicholls State

5th: QB Erik Ainge, Tennessee

6th: WR Marcus Henry, Kansas

6th: Slauson

5th: FB John Conner, Kentucky

6th: NONE

5th: Kerley

6th: G/C Caleb Schlauderaff, Utah

6th: S Josh Bush, Wake Forest

6th: RB Terrance Ganaway, Baylor

6th: OT Robert Griffin, Baylor

The late rounds are where GM's and their scouting departments make their money. Claiming "no one hits on 5th & 6th rounders" is incorrect. While few GM's hit on the majority of their late rounders, they at least find a few gems occassionally.

Tannenbaum found one solid slot receiver in Kerley and an average NFL guard in Slauson. The rest have been mostly useless. Even worse, 2 of the 3 guys Tannenbaum took in the 6th round of April's draft were cut before the season even began.

This is a garbage response. Benson obviously wasn't hurt over a month ago when I originally suggested this idea. You still seem to miss the point, I just wanted to unload Greene because he sucks... all you are focused on is trying to prove Greene is better than Benson, when the reality is they are both HORRIBLE.

Benson was just a means to the end of getting Greene off this team, without having to have to cut him... which I can assure you we'd have done by now if we had any other options behind him.

Ha. Talk about garbage. Benson is old and wasn't in camp. Therefore he wasn't ready to carry the load. Powell has actually been a fairly nice surprise, but I don't think he is ready to suck up all those carries. You claim that Greene sucks, but want to replace him with an old guy who sucks worse - and always did. This isn't like some deluded homer wanting Curtis Martin to come back. The reason? To get Greene off the team. Why? His contract is expiring. He is cheap. Play him until you find somebody better and then let him ride. It's certainly not worth a 6th round pick to downgrade the team. It's also not worth downgrading one of your starters to "add depth" which is what you suggested. Now go back to claiming I'm posting garbage while you are patting yourself on the back for wanting a guy that is out for 8 weeks. IF they are lucky

If he signed the same deal here as he signed in Green Bay, the total cap savings would've been about $30k. Old comes with risks, and they played out with Benson's injury.

Of course, your idea at the time was to trade him for a starting RT, which wasn't gonna happen.

Even now, no one's gonna give up more than a 6th or 7th rounder for him. RBs just don't have that kind of value. The Jets would be replacing him in the lineup with a 4th rounder or an UDFA they picked up off Houston's practice squad.

The Jets would be better off just using Greene more intelligently. Take him out of the starting lineup, use him in short yardage or to grind out the clock. Use the guys with a little wiggle, speed, and pass catching ability ahead of him.

If he signed the same deal here as he signed in Green Bay, the total cap savings would've been about $30k. Old comes with risks, and they played out with Benson's injury.

Of course, your idea at the time was to trade him for a starting RT, which wasn't gonna happen.

Even now, no one's gonna give up more than a 6th or 7th rounder for him. RBs just don't have that kind of value. The Jets would be replacing him in the lineup with a 4th rounder or an UDFA they picked up off Houston's practice squad.

The Jets would be better off just using Greene more intelligently. Take him out of the starting lineup, use him in short yardage or to grind out the clock. Use the guys with a little wiggle, speed, and pass catching ability ahead of him.

My idea was to trade him for a Hunter replacement, didn't need to be a starter from another team in order to start for us. Just sayin'

Really doesn't matter at this point. 27Dom can't discuss this without applying the hindsight of this weeks injury to the variables I was reacting to months ago. Can't argue against a disregard for chronological order.

It took 6 weeks for Benson to get hurt, but maybe that doesn't happen if he signed us. No way to know.

It took 6 weeks for Greene to basically lose his job.

Same end point, neither of them worth crap.

My idea was to trade him for a Hunter replacement, didn't need to be a starter from another team in order to start for us. Just sayin'

Really doesn't matter at this point. 27Dom can't discuss this without applying the hindsight of this weeks injury to the variables I was reacting to months ago. Can't argue against a disregard for chronological order.

It took 6 weeks for Benson to get hurt, but maybe that doesn't happen if he signed us. No way to know.

It took 6 weeks for Greene to basically lose his job.

Same end point, neither of them worth crap.

The injury is really irrelevant. Benson is a worse back. You wanted to trade our starting RB for a backup RT? Makes perfect sense. I want to trade him for Aaron Rodgers. There, I'm prescient.

These have been Tannenbaum's 5th and 6th round picks since he was hired in 2006 as GM:

5th: TE Jason Pociask, Wisconsin

6th: CB Drew Coleman, TCU

6th: OT Jacob Bender, Nicholls State

5th: QB Erik Ainge, Tennessee

6th: WR Marcus Henry, Kansas

6th: Slauson

5th: FB John Conner, Kentucky

6th: NONE

5th: Kerley

6th: G/C Caleb Schlauderaff, Utah

6th: S Josh Bush, Wake Forest

6th: RB Terrance Ganaway, Baylor

6th: OT Robert Griffin, Baylor

The late rounds are where GM's and their scouting departments make their money. Claiming "no one hits on 5th & 6th rounders" is incorrect. While few GM's hit on the majority of their late rounders, they at least find a few gems occassionally.

Tannenbaum found one solid slot receiver in Kerley and an average NFL guard in Slauson. The rest have been mostly useless. Even worse, 2 of the 3 guys Tannenbaum took in the 6th round of April's draft were cut before the season even began.

On that list: Coleman, Kerley, Slauson and Conner have all gotten a good amount of playing time. That's 4/12 (33%). A 5th guy (Caleb) is still to be determined as is another, Bush.

To get a better sense of this, we would really need to compare these guys to the picks of other GM's. I suspect a 33% hit percentage is pretty good here.

Tannenbaum found one solid slot receiver in Kerley and an average NFL guard in Slauson. .

the statistic that Casserly uses are the following:

1st rounder: 75% chance of starting by year 4.

2nd rounder: 50%

3rd rounder: 30%

4th rounder: 25%

5th rounder: 20%

6th rounder: 9%

7th rounder: 5%

5th is an ok shot. 6th and 7th are just long shots.

On that list: Coleman, Kerley, Slauson and Conner have all gotten a good amount of playing time. That's 4/12 (33%). A 5th guy (Caleb) is still to be determined as is another, Bush.

To get a better sense of this, we would really need to compare these guys to the picks of other GM's. I suspect a 33% hit percentage is pretty good here.

Not sure how Schlauderaf fits. Wasn't he a cutdown day trade? They didn't draft him. If you count him you should count Holmes. Edwards too. Weren't they two of those "NONE"s?

Archived