Explain the negative reaction to Monday night's game

stoicsentry

Given that it was almost universally expected, including among fans, that the Jets would be blown out by the Texans....and given that the game was close throughout and ended up being decided by just one drive at the end... why has the reaction been SO negative?

Most of us had this chalked up as an "L" before the season started.

The really sad thing is that, if healthy, it's very likely we would have won this game. Revis and Holmes alone probably make up the difference, not to mention the others (Pouha, Hill, Keller, etc.)

Given that it was almost universally expected, including among fans, that the Jets would be blown out by the Texans....and given that the game was close throughout and ended up being decided by just one drive at the end... why has the reaction been SO negative?

The really sad thing is that, if healthy, it's very likely we would have won this game. Revis and Holmes alone probably make up the difference, not to mention the others (Pouha, Hill, Keller, etc.)

I think the reaction is due to the fact that had the QB played just a little bit better, it would have been a win, without Revis and Holmes.

There were two or three scores left on the field...not all by Sanchez, but it's easy to see where a difference could have been made.

Generally I share your optimism. I don't think it's a "lost season". I don't look at the failure of the D as an unalterable catastrophe.

The reason most look at it negatively is simple. The drubbing by the Niners made us all feel some dread. Anything short of a blowout win here was going to be looked at negatively.

Personally, I don't like it because the O didn't show up. The D still couldn't stop the run. Sure we were in it, but we got half our scoring from a kick return. This game was close, but it wasn't that close. More importantly it wasn't that close earlier on. The Niners game was only 10-0 at the half. I didn't like the way they played and you have to remember some of these folks weren't satisfied with the blowout win against the Bills because we let them score.

FWIW, I think we are a work in progress. I like some things Sparano does. We have a few open bombs every game. I think when we get some stability at WR we will hit some. The running game is a disaster. I liked Greene and everybody else (maybe not JiF?) hated him. He may well be as bad as many think, but he's not this bad. We have to get something going with the run. The Colts will be a good place to start. On D Rex will have to figure something out. We've got plenty of guys out and plenty of guys dinged, so some people will have to step up, but it's far from a foregone conclusion that we are going to be out of the playoff hunt.

I think the reaction is not necessarily to the loss, per se, but rather to the same mistakes and failures that are plaquing this team - Sanchez's inability to stop turning the ball over thru interceptions and fumbles, the complete lack of a running game, the constant misuse of Tebow, the inability to stop the run, the poor play calling in the red zone. There was a lot to point to and have hope, but not until this stuff gets fixed.

Someone said in the game day thread (pregame) "let's just go out there and show em we aren't a bunch of horses asses"

The Jets did that and I was entertained. I am proud of their effort.

still they sucked us back in to believing they could win and maybe that's why everyone was so bummed. I admit I was bummed by the loss more than usual. Possibly cause i started believing.

It's a QB driven league and ours continues to show he is not an NFL caliber player. I don't know how anyone can be happy or satisfied when the most important piece on your team throws up another sub 50% completion percentage week and actually further lowers his cumulative QB rating for the year.

The game was not nearly as close as the score would indicate.

The Texans could have run on every down and still would have won easy.

The run D makes every back look unstopable and made Arian Foster look like Jim Brown.

If it wasnt for McKnights miracle return for a score it would have been over much earlier.

You may want to deride Schaubs ability but thats just silly. The guy is very good.

Someone said in the game day thread (pregame) "let's just go out there and show em we aren't a bunch of horses asses"

The Jets did that and I was entertained. I am proud of their effort.

still they sucked us back in to believing they could win and maybe that's why everyone was so bummed. I admit I was bummed by the loss more than usual. Possibly cause i started believing.

yes for me.

On D Rex will have to figure something out.

Yeah he will, Dom. we are now 8/10's of a yard per game from having the worst run defense in the NFL.

I thought we had some holes and problem areas coming into the season, but never in a million years would I have thought this to be a reality almost a 1/3 of the way through the season. And worse, these guys bite on play action like starving catfish. Now's the time for Rex and Pettine to fix it and fix it good - or .500 will be a desirable record.

Don't take this the wrong way, but...I for one didn't expect the Jets to lose this game. Nor did I think that way nostrodamus like in the beginning of the season. Having said that, we have injuries on this team thats a fact. We have a fragile minded QB running this O, we have a HC that seems to me like he can't in-game adjust (and does not mean that he can't learn too, just not now), we have a QB that does make plays, but is not always making the plays, we have a running game that is playing at a snails pace.

And to be very honest, anyone who thinks the Texans are winning the SB is only kidding themselves. If we make two plays and are smarter with the decision making process on the sidelines we win that game by at least 6.

I think the reaction is due to the fact that had the QB played just a little bit better, it would have been a win, without Revis and Holmes.

There were two or three scores left on the field...not all by Sanchez, but it's easy to see where a difference could have been made.

Nice and agree, but I have to add, rex should have been smarter in the first half (WTF are you holding onto 3 time outs, your driving the ball annd you in great field position, but you are rushing like you have no time outs to use...to me thats where we lost the game...PERIOD).

Another thing that Sparano did that I liked was use McKnight and split him wide. McKnight can add to the offense, particularly if they can get him the ball in space. A few of us (Slats?) wondered why they haven't done this with him yet. We were hopeful that Sparano would do so. McKnight has been dinged. Hopefully as he heals up he will be able to add to the offense and the OC won't be afraid to try him out.

Defense Sucked ballz (Rushing against the Jets is a given by EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL now).

Offense Produced 10 points (SANCHEZ MUST BE REPLACED)

Coaching was abhorrent (3 TO's at half....what the hell were they thinking?)

Sparano has been a Joke...(Play Calling has been abysmal, won't throw deep often enough)

Absence of a Running Game (1 yard and a cloud of dust, Shonn Greene is not the answer)

Sanchez reverts back to a really bad QB (Flat Footed Throws, Passes Sail, Passes keep getting Tipped, turnovers GALORE)

This aforementioned is why the negative reaction is here regarding the Monday Night game...

Without even looking at the other posts

1) Tebow still has not taken the starting QB job

2) Sanchez is still the QB

The run D makes every back look unstopable and made Arian Foster look like Jim Brown.

If it wasnt for McKnights miracle return for a score it would have been over much earlier.

You may want to deride Schaubs ability but thats just silly. The guy is very good.

I don't think this is wrong (although I disagree about Schaub being "very good" - even if he is, he wasn't good Monday) but if the Texans don't take advantage of the Jets' weaknesses, that's on the Texans, not on the Jets and the Jets shouldn't be faulted for it.

I'm cautiously optimistic. It's still a loss, but this isn't the soul crushing loss against the 49ers, either. I'd argue this is the best the Jets have looked since Buffalo.

Houston was begging to be beaten. It would be nice if the QB could do better than 14-30 when an opportunity like that presents itself. It would also be nice to run the ball for a respectable average. T/his team was shorthanded, and more people got hurt during the game. Houston was on their knees begging us to upset them.

There aren't many defenses in the league that don't make Arian Foster look like Jim Brown. Just nitpicking here. Yeah, the run D is terrible. Now if they make Vick Ballard look like Jim Brown, you got yourself something there.

Archived