the AFC really is wide open

Blackout

I've seen the Jets make it to the playoffs several times in my 17 years of following the NFL. Those seasons would be 1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009 and 2010. I can also remember every playoff loss just as well, if not more than the regular season itself. I truly belived the Jets would win the Superbowl in three of those seasons: 1998, 2004 and 2010. Sadly I was proven wrong each of those playoff runs. Now it's time for me to glance into the current 2012 season after 5 weeks of NYJ trials and tribulations.

Time to get over the obvious: The Ravens, Patriots and Texans are all legitimate forces to be feared and the Broncos are most likely winning the AFC West. The NFC is a stronger conference in 2012 which is very helpful for the Jets this year

Outside of those 4 teams the rest of the conference is WIDE open. Steelers are 2-3 now and it seems like they are having a down year. There is nobody else I fear for the wildcard! If the Jets can beat the Colts this week then there is no reason why even as GARBAGE as we have been that we can't sneak into a wildcard at 9-7.

The Rams, Seabags and Cardinals are all beatable, plus we play the miserable Bills and subpar Dolphins once more. Mix and match another team if we lose of one of those games and we're at least 8-8 in an incredibly weak AFC.

Look at our top opponents in the AFC for a wild card. Glancing at the Bengals schedule you'll I notice they have to play the Steelers twice, the Eagles, Giants,Ravens, Broncos and the bipolar Cowboys. That's at least 5 losses to me...I know I shouldn't really count Dallas as a threat though.

Getting back on track I really think the Jets could sneak into the playoffs simply based on how WEAK this AFC is. Anyone else drinking from the same flask of vodka and kool-aid as I am?

Could we flop and finish 4-12? Sure....but I think Rex is too smart of a defensive genius to let us go out that way. The fact we almost beat the Texans without our two best skill players is a tribute to this. We have serious problems at both running the ball and stopping the run but if those can be addressed there's no reason why we can't play a 17th game.

Getting to the end of my rant I find one huge challenge: Can the Jets actually beat the high powered Patriots without Revis? I don't see this happening because I can't imagine us scoring enough points....and this SICKENS me to no end. That is what keeps me from thinking we have any shot at success in the playoffs....but that is life as a Jets fan isn't it? Is this whole thread wishful thinking? Sure, however I really think we can make the playoffs based on how WEAK this AFC is. Oh and notice how I didn't even mention Sanchez or Tebow? :) Thanks for reading the ramblings of an impatient Jets fan.

-Blackout.

go-jets.png

sexy-new-york-jets-fan-1.jpg

smoking-hot-jets-fan.jpg

Jets_Cheerleaders_3.jpg

jets-2008-flight-crew.jpg

ps: Holmes not being there might be a blessing in disguise for team chemistry.

It's going to be fun to see how the talk slowly shifts from "we're the worst ever" to "we still suck" to "we're not going to make it" to "it'll be one and done in the playoffs".

I fully expect the Jets to contend this year for a wildcard spot. Thankfully it looks like a few other teams are having their worst year ever simultaneously.

I tend to disagree. I think at least 4 of the AFC playoff spots are already looking set in stone. No one is knocking off Houston, New England, Baltimore and San Diego right now. And despite their recent setbacks Denver and Pittsburgh will be right there in the hunt at the end.

Who's rising up to claim a spot ahead of those 6 teams? The Bengals? Us? Perhaps, but it's by no means "wide open" if only 7-8 teams are capable of claiming the 6 slots.

The NFC is far more wide open right now. About 10 or 11 legit contenders for those 6 spots. The NFC West and NFC North are particularly crazy.

It is remarkable that going into the 6th week of the season there are only 5 of 16 teams in the AFC over .500. There's 9 in the NFC. There are only 2 teams in the AFC 2 games better than .500, while the NFC has 5.

This reminds me of the AFC in 2002 when the No. 1 seed will be 11-5.

It is remarkable that going into the 6th week of the season there are only 5 of 16 teams in the AFC over .500. There's 9 in the NFC. There are only 2 teams in the AFC 2 games better than .500, while the NFC has 5.

This reminds me of the AFC in 2002 when the No. 1 seed will be 11-5.

THEY SHOULD ALL FIRE THEIR HC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived