Tigers vs Yankees ALCS thread

Blackout

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge win for the Tigers. With games 3-4-5 at home they could be in a good position.

Brutal loss for Yanks.. other than 9th, hitting was brutal. Jeter hurt is brutal. Back for a late afternoon game tomorrow is brutal. Only positive is this is a long series

Could not agree more. The Tigers need to steal wins to lessen the burden on Verlander who has only been okay against the Yanks in the post season.

The task at hand would requirte beating the Tigers in 4 of the next 5 games, the next 3 in Detroit, facing Verlander in 2 and may 3 of those games, and doing so without Jeter, or any offense spare Ibanez. Not happening. A shame 2 solid pitching performances were wasted. Problem at has been for some time in the postseason is you can work the count when you face the dregs of 3, 4 and 5s and back end relievers during the regular season. You cannot work anything when you face strike 1 followed by strike 2 every AB.

Swisher has played his last game at Yankee Stadium in pinstripes.Let's seee what Cashman can do about getting rid of A-rod and Cano. Cano is turning into Alfonso Soriano before out eyes.

The dog(monkey?) must be awfully embarrassed.

Its a rabbit.

Jackie Rabbitson

http://hectorny.deviantart.com/journal/Has-Jackie-Rabbitson-become-a-media-star-219707916

Has Jackie Rabbitson become a media star?

hectorny.jpg?2

• Mood: bemused.gif Bemused
  • Listening to: Deep Purple
  • Reading: Nothing
  • Watching: Nothing but this screen
  • Playing: Pokemon Black and Pokemon White
  • Eating: Nothing
  • Drinking: Water

Yesterday, i went to Yankee Stadium and had with me Jackie Rabbitson, my fabricated sidekick for the game between the Yankees and the Rays. It turned out to be quite interesting as Jackie and I are more and more getting recognized by the fellow fans. Most of the Stadium personnel couldn't help but smile at Jackie and I when they see us and a few even strike up quite a conversation.

The last game I went to, I had an interview done with the media team there asking me questions about Jackie. After explaining about how I started and the positive feedback he has received, and he's been coming to home games ever since. On this day, they showed the interview on the big Jumbotron screen. Wow! This was a shocker to me. Now we were being recognized everywhere we went at the Stadium. Looks as if Jackie and I are beginning to become a fixture.

As for the game, It was a great pitching duel between CC Sabathia and James Shields but the Yankees prevailed, 1 - 0, thanks to a pair of Tampa Bay errors. Then CC Sabathia received a cream pie from AJ Burnett during his post-game interview. This turned out to be quite a interesting day at Yankee Stadium and now my record with Jackie Rabbitson is now 51 - 8. This Thursday, I'm going to try to catch a Minor League game and see what that atmosphere is like.

Here's more of his collection:

bleacher_creature_updated_by_hectorny-d36nrqc.jpg

Here's my updated puppet cast ready to invade all kinds of events. From left clockwise we have Ivory, the white rabbit, Jackie Rabbitson, the jackrabbit (who has built a reputation at Yankee Stadium), Parker the squirrel (who has been at the John Leenon tribute and at the New York Jets Pep rally yesterday), Slyder the fox and Kalida the Calico Cat.

If you live or come to New York and you happen to go to a certain event or a Street Fair, chance are you'll probably see me with one of these furballs

Sorry I haven't been around during game time...I've been standing on the edge of the Valverde cliff waiting to jump off.

And I mean it when I say I'm sorry about DJ's injury. Guy is a class act, a one day HOF'er and most importantly, a Michigan native and I hate to see him end the season like that.

The task at hand would requirte beating the Tigers in 4 of the next 5 games, the next 3 in Detroit, facing Verlander in 2 and may 3 of those games, and doing so without Jeter, or any offense spare Ibanez. Not happening. A shame 2 solid pitching performances were wasted. Problem at has been for some time in the postseason is you can work the count when you face the dregs of 3, 4 and 5s and back end relievers during the regular season. You cannot work anything when you face strike 1 followed by strike 2 every AB.

Swisher has played his last game at Yankee Stadium in pinstripes.Let's seee what Cashman can do about getting rid of A-rod and Cano. Cano is turning into Alfonso Soriano before out eyes.

Good luck with that.

I would think in order to move him, the Yankees would have to eat at least 50% of the remaining 114 million in order to move him. He has hit in the 270s the last three years and has not hit 20 HRs (due to games played) the last two years.

He was a DH a third of his time this year and his average was over .300 during these games, but it did nothing for his power.

Not many teams can afford a DH at a shade over 14 million a year (4yr-57million; the price if the Yanks eat 50%). A-Rod is not going anywhere.

Good luck with that.

I would think in order to move him, the Yankees would have to eat at least 50% of the remaining 114 million in order to move him. He has hit in the 270s the last three years and has not hit 20 HRs (due to games played) the last two years.

He was a DH a third of his time this year and his average was over .300 during these games, but it did nothing for his power.

Not many teams can afford a DH at a shade over 14 million a year (4yr-57million; the price if the Yanks eat 50%). A-Rod is not going anywhere.

Yeah, moving ARod is close to impossible because of his salary. The worst contract in the history of sports.

Good luck with that.

Why not? Hell, if I'm Cashman, I offer to pay 70% of that contract to whoever will take him. Better than 100% and wasting not only a roster spot, but a starting position on him for another 5 years. The 30% you save is still $9 million a year you can spend on someone else.

ARod is finished here. He isn't going to break the home run record as a NYY. Ship him down to his home in Miami, where they'll love him and the pressure will be off on a daily basis and he can attempt to get back on track with that. They're desperate for ticket sales down there, he'd help.

Worked with Burnett, let's give it a try.

Why not? Hell, if I'm Cashman, I offer to pay 70% of that contract to whoever will take him. Better than 100% and wasting not only a roster spot, but a starting position on him for another 5 years. The 30% you save is still $9 million a year you can spend on someone else.

ARod is finished here. He isn't going to break the home run record as a NYY. Ship him down to his home in Miami, where they'll love him and the pressure will be off on a daily basis and he can attempt to get back on track with that. They're desperate for ticket sales down there, he'd help.

I just don't see that happening. The Marlins went all in to celebrate the opening of their new stadium and the season was a complete disaster. Now that the Marlins have their new ballpark they will go back to being that spends zero money.

There isn't a team out there that would take A-Rod's contract. The Yanks are stuck with him. A-Rod is at a point in his career where he needs to adjust his swing and start to cheat (swing early) to get around on the fastball.

As far as the rest are concerned. I agree with Bugg on Swisher. He is playing his last games in New York. He took to ripping the fans in today's Daily News so he is gone. While they are at it they can send Granderson away as well.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/swisher-stadium-fans-skin-article-1.1183514

In a twisted way, kinda wonder if you dealt Cano and A-rod and picked up a bunch of Arod's salary what woudl they give(and I'm not even talking about Reyes)? Arod is not going to want to be here any more. Half think he has to be contemplating retiring. Making a ton of money is great, but much less so when everyone at your workplace cannot stand the sight of you.

That is a lot of money, even for the Yankees, to pay a player to play somewhere else. That is 19.6 million next year and shrinks down to 14 million in 2016 and 2017.

If the Yankees are going to get to their goal of being at 185 million in salary by 2014, the Yankees are going to cut/retire/not extend in order to meet that goal. That is a lot of dead money to have against your books.

If the Yankees agree to assume 70% of his remaining salary, then yeah they could move him to a team like Seattle, that could afford the 6-9 million a year it will cost to keep him. I would think a team like Oakland or Seattle would love to trot out A-Rod at DH.

That is a lot of money, even for the Yankees, to pay a player to play somewhere else. That is 19.6 million next year and shrinks down to 14 million in 2016 and 2017.

If the Yankees are going to get to their goal of being at 185 million in salary by 2014, the Yankees are going to cut/retire/not extend in order to meet that goal. That is a lot of dead money to have against your books.

If the Yankees agree to assume 70% of his remaining salary, then yeah they could move him to a team like Seattle, that could afford the 6-9 million a year it will cost to keep him. I would think a team like Oakland or Seattle would love to trot out A-Rod at DH.

Of course they would. ARod, with no pressure in a small low-expectation market will be fine putting up .270 and 25 HRs. Especially if he still has a shot at Bonds.

Dead money means nothing in this case, because ARod is dead money at a rate of 100% if you keep him. It would be addition by subtraction. The guy is unliked by the fans and by his teammates. And worst of all, he's mostly useless as a player. The Yankees could pay his entire salary to play elsewhere, and it would be a net benefit to them as a franchise. Time to go get some players who actually hit quality pitching.

I've been saying this for years now. The Yanks have been too locked into the OPS cliche to look at how these guys perform situationally. You want to make roto-decisions when building your lineup? Fine, but you need to look into compiling everyone's BA, OBP, OPS etc, not overall, but specifically against pitchers in the top 1/3 in the league in ERA. That will tell you who can and can not perform in the playoffs. Guys like ARod, Tex, Swisher and Granderson are textbook cases of guys who put up numbers, but a large % of those are beefed up on bad pitching in the regular season.

Of course they would. ARod, with no pressure in a small low-expectation market will be fine putting up .270 and 25 HRs. Especially if he still has a shot at Bonds.

Dead money means nothing in this case, because ARod is dead money at a rate of 100% if you keep him. It would be addition by subtraction. The guy is unliked by the fans and by his teammates. And worst of all, he's mostly useless as a player. The Yankees could pay his entire salary to play elsewhere, and it would be a net benefit to them as a franchise. Time to go get some players who actually hit quality pitching.

I've been saying this for years now. The Yanks have been too locked into the OPS cliche to look at how these guys perform situationally. You want to make roto-decisions when building your lineup? Fine, but you need to look into compiling everyone's BA, OBP, OPS etc, not overall, but specifically against pitchers in the top 1/3 in the league in ERA. That will tell you who can and can not perform in the playoffs. Guys like ARod, Tex, Swisher and Granderson are textbook cases of guys who put up numbers, but a large % of those are beefed up on bad pitching in the regular season.

A new city is not going to cure what ails A-Rod. The fountain of youth would, and with drug testing, that is a huge risk.

He is a guess hitter and his bat speed has slowed considerably. You can bust him with the fastball, and unless he is expecting it, he has no ability to unleash on it.

A pitcher, with that knowledge will eat you up.

This is what happens to most players that are 36, and it tends to decline more rapidly each year.

A new city is not going to cure what ails A-Rod.

Don't care what happens to him after he leaves here. I just want him off the roster. At any cost.

The fountain of youth would, and with drug testing, that is a huge risk.

Actually, there is little risk at all. If I were ARod, I'd go right back on the steroids to try to revive my career. The likelihood of getting caught is minimal (these designer roids are still and will always be ahead of the testing). And if he does happen to get caught, who cares? He's already reviled and universally accepted as a cheater. Do you think getting caught again could further affect this guy's reputation? I see nothing but upside for him.

He is a guess hitter and his bat speed has slowed considerably. You can bust him with the fastball, and unless he is expecting it, he has no ability to unleash on it.

A pitcher, with that knowledge will eat you up.

This is what happens to most players that are 36, and it tends to decline more rapidly each year.

Stating the obvious. I don't think anyone is arguing that ARod is what he once was. But he can still hit 25 HRs in the right situation. And If I'm the Marlins or some AL team, and I only have to pay him $9 million a year to watch him maybe break the home run record, I do it.

Don't care what happens to him after he leaves here. I just want him off the roster. At any cost.

Actually, there is little risk at all. If I were ARod, I'd go right back on the steroids to try to revive my career. The likelihood of getting caught is minimal (these designer roids are still and will always be ahead of the testing). And if he does happen to get caught, who cares? He's already reviled and universally accepted as a cheater. Do you think getting caught again could further affect this guy's reputation? I see nothing but upside for him.

Stating the obvious. I don't think anyone is arguing that ARod is what he once was. But he can still hit 25 HRs in the right situation. And If I'm the Marlins or some AL team, and I only have to pay him $9 million a year to watch him maybe break the home run record, I do it.

Don't think you are going to get your wish

good question....probably the Dodgers :biggrin:

Short memories.

As bad as ARod is (relative to young ARod), there are plenty of players that make $9 million + that don't match his production.

And this is still a guy that is going to sell tickets as he chases Aaron and Bonds.

Short memories.

As bad as ARod is (relative to young ARod), there are plenty of players that make $9 million + that don't match his production.

And this is still a guy that is going to sell tickets as he chases Aaron and Bonds.

And each of those milestones cost an extra 6 million dollars each. That is a poison pill.

Will there be interest, should ARod chase any of those records? Dountful. He is viewed as a tainted performer, who has no real connection with any fanbase.

There will not be a fervor, should he chase any record.

And each of those milestones cost an extra 6 million dollars each. That is a poison pill.

Will there be interest, should ARod chase any of those records? Dountful. He is viewed as a tainted performer, who has no real connection with any fanbase.

There will not be a fervor, should he chase any record.

That is not true.

The yankee ticket #s with and without ARod are huge. Everyone bates him now but if he gets on track for the HR record he will cause excitement.

Archived