Any chance Rex stays with this team - but not as HC?

I've never seen it done before. Could Rex just get moved to DC after the season? Since no one on offense knows who Rex is anyway I would think it could work in this case. Seems as though thats all Rex wants to coach anyway. Thoughts?

Edited by RSJ

I've never seen it done before. Could Rex just get moved to DC after the season? Since no one on offense knows who Rex is anyway I would think it could work in this case. Seems as though thats all Rex wants to coach anyway. Thoughts?

I'd be fine with tht, but I don't see it happening.

New coach would not want old HC around who is loved by fan base.

I also don't see him doing it.

I also don't think Woodrow would do it, attention > winning for him, so Rex is perfect

It'd probably be his only option to coach next season if he were fired from the Jets.

He's definitely not getting another HC gig for at least a year....and I dont see any other team bringing him on as a DC with his personality overshadowing the HC....plus all the bizarre baggage he seems to have.

Rex screwed himself over tbh. Asleep at the wheel as the talent just deteriorated in front of his eyes.

Edited by Matt39

It'd probably be his only option to coach next season if he were fired from the Jets.

He's definitely not getting another HC gig for at least a year....and I dont see any other team bringing him on as a DC with his personality overshadowing the HC....plus all the bizarre baggage he seems to have.

Rex screwed himself over tbh. Asleep at the wheel as the talent just deteriorated in front of his eyes.

Very true what you say about the talent.

Also, he really went all in on the wrong guys. Sanchez, Holmes, Scott, plus plugging holes with washed up vets, LT, Plax etc = fail.

Add to that the Tebow fiasco.................

Very true what you say about the talent.

Also, he really went all in on the wrong guys. Sanchez, Holmes, Scott, plus plugging holes with washed up vets, LT, Plax etc = fail.

Add to that the Tebow fiasco.................

I agree, except that. If Tebow comes in and throws for 49% we night be 4-1 right now.

No chance. But I really do hope we do everything we can to keep Pettine. Guy's legit and the D softening up this year has absolutely nothing to do with him.

How do you know Petine is legit?

I'm not saying he's not, but if Rex is the defensive genius, which I strongly question, how do we even know what he is?

How do you know Petine is legit?

I'm not saying he's not, but if Rex is the defensive genius, which I strongly question, how do we even know what he is?

Mostly experience and what he's helped get out of the linebackers before those above him let the depth chart at those positions fall to pieces. It's not exactly quantifiable but I think if you sit back and lay out what the signs would be, they're all there.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Mostly experience and what he's helped get out of the linebackers before those above him let the depth chart at those positions fall to pieces. It's not exactly quantifiable but I think if you sit back and lay out what the signs would be, they're all there.

If Rex goes, I hope that Tannenbaum/replacement would be smart enough to at least give him an interview. Then again, this is Woody's team, so we'll probably just give Gruden a ten-year contract.

Edited by dbatesman

Pettite is definitely legit. Dude comes from a football family, no nonsense...worked his way up from the beginning. He can coach.

Curious how his relationship with Rex is these days...they couldnt be any more different.

Edited by Matt39

Zero chance, If he gets fired from the Jets, he should have no problem landing a head coaching job elsewhere. Heck, Mangini and Edwards both had jobs after they got fired from here. I think just about everyone would agree that even with his shortcomings, Rex is lightyears better than those two clowns.

I really hope the Jets don't fire Rex. The roster needs a makeover for sure, but I think Rex is a good coach, and given a competent QB and some talent on offense, he will be in a few superbowls

If Rex goes, I hope that Tannenbaum/replacement would be smart enough to at least give him an interview. Then again, this is Woody's team, so we'll probably just give Gruden a ten-year contract.

What I'd hope is that they'd at least be smart enough to consider the same thing that they did for Schott with Rex. I'm not ready to give up on Rex just yet, but there has to be an applied institutional restructuring within this franchise. Thus, I think Rex being a goner may be an inevitability at this point because of that; because he's not knowledgeably versatile enough when it comes to the most important side of the ball, and he should probably only have a minimal say in the larger roster decisions with his track record thus far. And what this all leads to is that the whole relationship between FO and HC needs to be completely restructured in this organization. So I'm not sure how you go about reversing those things while also maintaining a good relationship with him.

When it comes to Pettine's future here, I like him a lot as a DC, when you combine his experience and results, it's hard to argue against him. The degrees of his impact on things can certainly be argued because of Rex, but things are what they are. As a HC, I'm not so sure. The past 3 Jets head coaches have all been rookie HC's, and I think at this point they might be better served bringing in someone with experience who can walk in and garner instant respect not just by his attitude but also by his track record. Obviously not Gruden though. I think that, especially now, Cowher makes a ton of sense for this team. He's a no-nonsense experienced dude, and he's one of the few guys out there who would probably have the balls to tell Woody what is and isn't a stupid idea for grabbing headlines. I'm sure people have their problems with parts of his track record, and that's fine, but in terms of what this franchise needs in terms of coaching and an entirely new approach to building a team, I think he's ideal and we also know he'd consider working here because of what happened during the last coaching search.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Mangini certainly had to go...he was a jackass for no reason about things...but im not convinced Rex is that much better than him.

Herm was awful

I am thoroughly convinced Rex is by far better than either of them. I don't even know how you can say this seriously. Mangini was over .500 once in his three years as a head coach....and was 0-1 in the playoffs. His defense was softer than sh*t, and his offense was never any better than the Jets current state... And one year it was WORSE.

Rex has yet to finish a season under .500, and has a 4-2 playoff record in the same three year span. And don't say anything about talent, you are not going to convince me that the team minus Favre plus Sanchez was so much better on paper in '09 and '10 than it was in '08.

I am thoroughly convinced Rex is by far better than either of them. I don't even know how you can say this seriously. Mangini was over .500 once in his three years as a head coach....and was 0-1 in the playoffs. His defense was softer than sh*t, and his offense was never any better than the Jets current state... And one year it was WORSE.

Rex has yet to finish a season under .500, and has a 4-2 playoff record in the same three year span. And don't say anything about talent, you are not going to convince me that the team minus Favre plus Sanchez was so much better on paper in '09 and '10 than it was in '08.

2008 offense was much better than this one. And the mangling of timeouts like the Jets had this past Monday never happened under Mangini. They were shuffling in and out of gimmick packages and no one knew what the hell was going on.

What I'd hope is that they'd at least be smart enough to consider the same thing that they did for Schott with Rex. I'm not ready to give up on Rex just yet, but there has to be an applied institutional restructuring within this franchise. Thus, I think Rex being a goner may be an inevitability at this point because of that; because he's not knowledgeably versatile enough when it comes to the most important side of the ball, and he should probably only have a minimal say in the larger roster decisions with his track record thus far. And what this all leads to is that the whole relationship between FO and HC needs to be completely restructured in this organization. So I'm not sure how you go about reversing those things while also maintaining a good relationship with him.

When it comes to Pettine's future here, I like him a lot as a DC, when you combine his experience and results, it's hard to argue against him. The degrees of his impact on things can certainly be argued because of Rex, but things are what they are. As a HC, I'm not so sure. The past 3 Jets head coaches have all been rookie HC's, and I think at this point they might be better served bringing in someone with experience who can walk in and garner instant respect not just by his attitude but also by his track record. Obviously not Gruden though. I think that, especially now, Cowher makes a ton of sense for this team. He's a no-nonsense experienced dude, and he's one of the few guys out there who would probably have the balls to tell Woody what is and isn't a stupid idea for grabbing headlines. I'm sure people have their problems with parts of his track record, and that's fine, but in terms of what this franchise needs in terms of coaching and an entirely new approach to building a team, I think he's ideal and we also know he'd consider working here because of what happened during the last coaching search.

Is this true though? I remember him the reports about him not wanting to come here unless he could bring in Pittsburgh guys to control the FO (great, great, great, great, great call to keep Tannenbaum instead, btw), but I also remember reports saying he never really had serious interest because of his ties to the Maras, thinking Woody is a dunce, wanting to see his daughters grow up, etc.