Jets' Bilal Powell dislocates right shoulder

Jetfan13

Hope he recovers quickly, but I'm a bit jaded on this because players in the past used to continue playing in the game with a dislocated shoulder. Lawrence Taylor did it and so did Emmit Smith, neither missing the following week because of it.

BELL COW!!!

wait i thought mcknight hurt his shoulder?

He did, but I think he hurt his ankle too. McKnight was only in because Powell got hurt first.

Hope he recovers quickly, but I'm a bit jaded on this because players in the past used to continue playing in the game with a dislocated shoulder. Lawrence Taylor did it and so did Emmit Smith, neither missing the following week because of it.

There are all different levels. Seperated? Sure. Disclocated and popped back in? Maybe. My Dad hit a guy about 280 (he was probably around 54 at the time) and his got jammed up under his collar bone. X-ray looked like the alien. His arm was sticking straight out of his chest. He couldn't play for a couple of weeks. Lost his consective games streak at something like 950. He wasn't much good after that either, but his shoulders were screwed long before that.

There are all different levels. Seperated? Sure. Disclocated and popped back in? Maybe. My Dad hit a guy about 280 (he was probably around 54 at the time) and his got jammed up under his collar bone. X-ray looked like the alien. His arm was sticking straight out of his chest. He couldn't play for a couple of weeks. Lost his consective games streak at something like 950. He wasn't much good after that either, but his shoulders were screwed long before that.

Yeah, that's the nasty version of the injury. But, still, any longtime football fans can't get the images out of their mind of both LT and Emmit in obvious pain as the trainers popped their shoulders back in and then they went back out to play.

Yeah, that's the nasty version of the injury. But, still, any longtime football fans can't get the images out of their mind of both LT and Emmit in obvious pain as the trainers popped their shoulders back in and then they went back out to play.

Be that as it may, Powell is a backup and the Jets had the game well in hand, so they were hardly relying on him. I'm sure the trainers and coaches both saw little, if any, reason to risk further injury when he wasn't at all needed. Even after McKnight went down as well, it was already the end of the third quarter and it's not like it was the worst thing in the world to keep feeding Greene the ball and getting him some more carries when he was in as good of a rhythm as he was.

Be that as it may, Powell is a backup and the Jets had the game well in hand, so they were hardly relying on him. I'm sure the trainers and coaches both saw little, if any, reason to risk further injury when he wasn't at all needed. Even after McKnight went down as well, it was already the end of the third quarter and it's not like it was the worst thing in the world to keep feeding Greene the ball and getting him some more carries when he was in as good of a rhythm as he was.

This I agree with BUT my point alludes to next week since all the media (and Powell's post game demeanor) point to him being out next week.

So, the point is, that if other players went back into a game after such a shoulder injury, why is Powell going to miss the following week?

This I agree with BUT my point alludes to next week since all the media (and Powell's post game demeanor) point to him being out next week.

So, the point is, that if other players went back into a game after such a shoulder injury, why is Powell going to miss the following week?

Ah, I gotcha, but I figure we might as well see what the team actual says the diagnosis is for Powell before getting into any of that. It wouldn't exactly be groundbreaking for the media to be wrong about one or both of the injury or Powell's likelihood to play.

It reduces your effectiveness too. It's difficult to lift your arm. Anytime your elbow is over your shoulder you are in excruciating pain and I have spent a lot of time with my thumb hooked to my jersey so my arm wouldn't flop around. I've seperated both, but (knock on wood) no dislocation. It makes sense for guys like LT that are head and shoulders better than others, but Bilal Powell isn't likely to be an upgrade over McKnight or Greene with his arm screwed. They were just spelling Greene anyway. Saving him for NE. Guess Grimes will be active this week. If nothing else, they'll need to hedge their bets with McKnight and Powell both dinged.

Seriously, r u gonna compare LT and Emmit Smith to Bilal Powell? Seriously?

And that playoff game that Emmit Smith played without being able to lift that arm was one of the most heroic efforts I have ever seen in sports-it was right up there with Michael Jordan playing with the flu and then winning the game while watching him being so woozy and with a weird shade of green pall over him-unreal.

And that playoff game that Emmit Smith played without being able to lift that arm was one of the most heroic efforts I have ever seen in sports-it was right up there with Michael Jordan playing with the flu and then winning the game while watching him being so woozy and with a weird shade of green pall over him-unreal.

I heard from a guy that Jordan was faking it. It's not as though he played through 2 droplets of blood on his sock.

Archived