Revis vows to come back as good as before

faba

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets star cornerback Darrelle Revis, who will have surgery Tuesday to repair a torn ACL in his left knee, predicted Monday he will return to his elite level for the 2013 season.

Walker: Pressure's on Revis

Darrelle Revis will be under a lot of pressure in his contract year next season as he tries to return to the elite level he has established for himself, James Walker writes. Blog{C}

"Once I get back to 100 percent, to me there's no question I (will) be back to where I was," Revis said, commenting for the first time since suffering the season-ending injury three weeks ago in Miami.

But Revis, 27, acknowledged he will have to prove himself to the organization before landing a long-term contract extension. He's signed through 2013, and there's a clause in his current deal that prohibits the Jets from using the franchise tag.

"I'm sure it might raise people's eyebrows with how I'm going to look when I come back," he said. "I'm OK with that. I wouldn't expect anything less. I just know I work hard and I'm going to treat it like any other offseason."

The Jets had planned to re-sign Revis before the 2013 season -- he signed a four-year, $46 million contract at the start of the 2010 season -- but the injury could complicate matters. Revis declined to speculate on his future, saying he wants to focus on getting healthy.

{C}{C}

Once I get back to 100 percent, to me there's no question I (will) be back to where I was.”-- Darrelle Revis

{C}{C}

The surgery will be performed by Russell Warren, the New York Giants' team doctor. The doctors will replace the ACL with a patellar tendon graft. Revis said he should be jogging in 12 to 16 weeks. He didn't want to comment on when he expected to get back to football activities, but it generally takes six to nine months.

Revis, researching the injury, said he has spoken to a number of athletes who experienced ACL tears, including Adrian Peterson, Donovan McNabb and teammates Antonio Cromartie and Sione Po'uha. He was hurt in a non-contact play against the Dolphins as he tried to defend a screen pass in the open field.

"It felt like somebody had a knife and stuck it through my knee," he said. "That's the feeling I got from trying to make the cut. It's crazy because I've made that cut a thousand million times. Looking at it on film, it didn't look like much. I guess it was meant to happen."

Revis was trailed into Monday's news conference by a camera crew, complete with boom microphones. NFL Films is producing a documentary of his rehabilitation, from start to finish.

"It's cool," he said. "I'm just taking it in stride and trying to have fun with it."

Revis has spent the last three weeks at the Jets' facility, trying to strengthen his knee before surgery. He hasn't attended any meetings but has interacted with teammates, trying to encourage them during a two-game losing streak. The Jets won their first game without Revis on Sunday, blowing out the Indianapolis Colts, 35-9.

"Sky's the limit (for this team), no matter if your best player is on the field or not," Revis said. "Guys have to step up, guys have to perform. That's the way it is and that's what they're trying to do."

What else is Revis going to say?

If he has a strong rehab, and comes back to be the same player, he can sign a deal that will set him up for the rest of his life in 2013, if he hasn't been taken care of for life already.

He's one year away from a $65-75M deal. He should be motivated......

BD

Contract guys, question. Does this mean that we are going to most likely let him play on his current contract through the 2013 season and risk losing him to free agency??

Most likely, they will tear up his current deal, and write a new long-term deal that protects them in the case of this injury reoccurring.

He can also buy separate insurance for the contract amount against any future knee injury.

BD

Contract guys, question. Does this mean that we are going to most likely let him play on his current contract through the 2013 season and risk losing him to free agency??

I think they'll still redo his contract before the season starts, with a chance it gets banged out during the season.

If they let him play the year out fully he's going to the highest bidder, which won't be us given how many other teams are in far better cap shape. After (from Revis's perspective) the Jets let him play out 2013 without a long term deal he's going to feel wronged by us, so the Jets would have to badly outbid everyone else. But if we make him an offer that he considers worthy of his awesomeness he'll sign it no questions asked rather than risk injury for the whole season with nothing long term (other than not opting out of years 5-7 for much lower dollars I suppose).

That's what I think anyway.

I think they'll still redo his contract before the season starts, with a chance it gets banged out during the season.

If they let him play the year out fully he's going to the highest bidder, which won't be us given how many other teams are in far better cap shape. After (from Revis's perspective) the Jets let him play out 2013 without a long term deal he's going to feel wronged by us, so the Jets would have to badly outbid everyone else. But if we make him an offer that he considers worthy of his awesomeness he'll sign it no questions asked rather than risk injury for the whole season with nothing long term (other than not opting out of years 5-7 for much lower dollars I suppose).

That's what I think anyway.

Thanks. Here's hoping to you being right about them making something happen before he hits the market.

the ACL injury is the worst thing to happen to the 2012 Jets and the best thing that could happen to the Revis long term discussions. He had never been hurt and could have asked for the moon.

this gives this Jets a little leverage and could pave the way to a compromise deal. stretch for a silver lining, i know.

Archived