So here is Rex's "Trash Talk" about the Pats

shawn306

Lot's of really good coaches either haven't won championships (Andy Reid) or took forever to win it (Bill Cowher). Rex may not be an elite coach yet but he's a very good one.

Once Rex coaches the entire team then he'll be a very good coach. In fact, I can see him on a John Madden-esque trajectory, but he first has to stop viewing himself as the defensive coordinator.

He always talks about "my defense" or "our defense" but then just says "offense." The whole team is his and he has to coach like that. Hopefully for Jets fans, after his hands-off approach blew up in his face last year he has learned that lesson.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mangini wasnt a good coach. Plus he didnt instill the Belichick way of running things.. Belichick earned the respect of his players and system. Mangini demanded it.

Coaches would be better off not saying anything. Rex would be better off keeping his mouth shut. And if he needs to open it, stick someone elses foot in it.

So you want somebody that does things like Belichick, but if they are unsuccessful they didn't do it right? Mangini was as Belichick as you can be. There are two things that I like about Rex. 1. He knows how to coach defense. 2. He knows that you can't succeed by copying somebody else. Be yourself and die trying. In the NFL plenty of guys make a nice living by being "disciples". That isn't Rex and I'm glad.

As for keeping his mouth shut, not an option.

NFL coaches are fined by the league if they refuse to speak to the media following a game.

Huh? How can you be a good HEAD COACH when you completely ignore the offense, give full reigns to Brian Schottenheimer and have no clue about offensive game plans on a week-to-week basis, and is at times oblivious to what is going on with the offense during the game?

If Sanchez was a decent QB this idea that Rex "ignores" the offense would be a futile argument. The Jets have done a whole helluva lot to try to improve on that side of the ball and it hasn't worked. Rex would not have brought in Tony Sparano if he really didn't care about offense.

After the Giants game debacle last year Rex said that he didn't know the game plan going in was to throw the ball so much.

He also was surprised they had thrown it 60 times. In other words, he had no idea what the offense was doing and did nothing to prevent it even though every offensive play goes through his headset.

It certainly wasn't the gameplan they set out to have but when the run is continually getting shut down, this is what happens. It's happened several times this year already so it shouldn't be surprising.

In the Miami game he said he had no idea that Holmes had been benched because he was concentrating on "his" defense. He was also oblivious to the lockerroom turmoil which was all due to the offense. Why was he oblivious? Because he freakin ignores the offense.

Link on this?

Sorry, but even with Tanny and Sanchez sucking at their respective jobs, that gives no excuse to a HC to ignore other units of the team and act as a DC with a HC name tag.

If this were true you'd be right but it isn't. And with all this being said we went 8-8 last year not 2-14. Even at his worst Rex has proven to be a capable HC. He has a lot of flaws but he has shown that he is capable of improving. If he ends up getting fired it will be BECAUSE of Tannenbaum and Sanchez, not because Rex is bad at his job.

Won what?

Still see empty trophy case.

Which is why he's a very good HC and not an elite one. You cannot possibly say he's a bad HC given the results, and even the media and fans that hate him would admit this. Call him a blowhard or a guy who isn't well-rounded yet, but you can't possibly call him a bad HC.

So you want somebody that does things like Belichick, but if they are unsuccessful they didn't do it right? Mangini was as Belichick as you can be. There are two things that I like about Rex. 1. He knows how to coach defense. 2. He knows that you can't succeed by copying somebody else. Be yourself and die trying. In the NFL plenty of guys make a nice living by being "disciples". That isn't Rex and I'm glad.

As for keeping his mouth shut, not an option.

Is that what I said? No. It wasnt. Mangini DIDNT DO IT THE BELICHICK WAY. He tried to copy him but missed many important steps. Especially the cheating stuff. :-D

And as long as Rex doesnt keep his mouth shut, he will continue to be blasted for it.

Like what exactly? The way he talks to the media?

Please...

Like the way he ****ing coaches. And talks to the media. And his players. Everything.

Are you people really this ****ing blind about this team?? Seriously?? Take off the green colored glasses and put down the kool-aid and take a long hard look at this team.

For me, this isnt just about Rex. I dont think any player, coach , owner, should ever give the media any good quotes or sound bites. It will never benefit them. I understand why Rex does it- take pressure off players, get fans to rally behind the team, have a little fun in a game where its too serious at times. But, personally, I dont like it. But it is who Rex is. He likes to talk. He likes to say things.I sure hope he can prove me wrong and win something with this band of misfits we have playing. But until then... Im not going to like it.

I agree with this 100%. I don't particularly like it, but I don't really care. I don't want him to do things "my way" to keep me happy. I want him to win.

Huh? How can you be a good HEAD COACH when you completely ignore the offense, give full reigns to Brian Schottenheimer and have no clue about offensive game plans on a week-to-week basis, and is at times oblivious to what is going on with the offense during the game?

After the Giants game debacle last year Rex said that he didn't know the game plan going in was to throw the ball so much.

He also was surprised they had thrown it 60 times. In other words, he had no idea what the offense was doing and did nothing to prevent it even though every offensive play goes through his headset.

In the Miami game he said he had no idea that Holmes had been benched because he was concentrating on "his" defense. He was also oblivious to the lockerroom turmoil which was all due to the offense. Why was he oblivious? Because he freakin ignores the offense.

Sorry, but even with Tanny and Sanchez sucking at their respective jobs, that gives no excuse to a HC to ignore other units of the team and act as a DC with a HC name tag.

There is some truth to this, but I think it's way overblown. I hear him say "we" all the time with the O. Constantly. As for the Giants game, that isn't the game plan, that's the play calls. True, he didn't "prevent" it, but with the Giants secondary they should have been able to throw anyway. I also think this specifically is one of the reasons he got an OC that thinks like he does.

Once Rex coaches the entire team then he'll be a very good coach. In fact, I can see him on a John Madden-esque trajectory, but he first has to stop viewing himself as the defensive coordinator.

He always talks about "my defense" or "our defense" but then just says "offense." The whole team is his and he has to coach like that. Hopefully for Jets fans, after his hands-off approach blew up in his face last year he has learned that lesson.

At least when the Defense fails he takes full responsibility. There's something to be said for a coach who at least takes control for one side of the field and always produces an elite unit. Many coaches in the league suck at coaching both sides of the ball. Herm Edwards comes to mind, and he was WAY more of a buffoon than Rex is.

It's also not unusual for successful coaches to be this way. Sean Payton controlled the offense and Gregg Williams the D in New Orleans. And despite having Brees Payton is considered one of the best in the business, maybe because he's "quietly successful" unlike Rex. Imagine if he was saddled with Sanchez.

Which is why he's a very good HC and not an elite one. You cannot possibly say he's a bad HC given the results, and even the media and fans that hate him would admit this. Call him a blowhard or a guy who isn't well-rounded yet, but you can't possibly call him a bad HC.

He is not a good head coach.. Not even close to very.

He hasnt accomplished anything. You want to believe different?? Fine. I disagree with you. he is a better coordinator than head coach. As head coach he is like the Jets- mediocre.

Like the way he ****ing coaches. And talks to the media. And his players. Everything.

Are you people really this ****ing blind about this team?? Seriously?? Take off the green colored glasses and put down the kool-aid and take a long hard look at this team.

We do every week. They aren't as bad as you think. We've seen bad teams before, you should know this isn't one. How good are they? We shall see.

We do every week. They aren't as bad as you think. We've seen bad teams before, you should know this isn't one. How good are they? We shall see.

they are mediocre at best. Hopefully that means we can get to 9 wins and maybe sneak into the playoffs.

And then we can proclaim Rex the best when he leads us to another AFC championship loss.

He is not a good head coach.. Not even close to very.

He hasnt accomplished anything. You want to believe different?? Fine. I disagree with you. he is a better coordinator than head coach. As head coach he is like the Jets- mediocre.

Mediocre coaches produce mediocre results and Rex hasn't.

At least when the Defense fails he takes full responsibility. There's something to be said for a coach who at least takes control for one side of the field and always produces an elite unit. Many coaches in the league suck at coaching both sides of the ball. Herm Edwards comes to mind, and he was WAY more of a buffoon than Rex is.

It's also not unusual for successful coaches to be this way. Sean Payton controlled the offense and Gregg Williams the D in New Orleans. And despite having Brees Payton is considered one of the best in the business, maybe because he's "quietly successful" unlike Rex. Imagine if he was saddled with Sanchez.

Actually, I think Payton would do very well with Sanchez. If Sanchez cared about his career longterm, he should hope to get cut by the Jets this offseason, sign to be a backup for the Saints and learn under Brees and Peyton on what it means to be a QB and how to run an offense. In a couple of years Sanchez will emerge with a Gannon-esque renaissance.

Sanchez sucks, but I think he has gotten some of the worst coaching any 1st round QB could get. A crappy OC & QB coach and a HC who doesn't have the first clue about offense. Payton would do a STAND BY ME of QB development on Sanchez.

Once Rex coaches the entire team then he'll be a very good coach.

Do people even realize how few HC's actually coach the entire team?

John Harbaugh? who was a ST's coordinator. Whats his input for Cam Cameron about offense?

Mike McCarthy? What is he doing Dom Capers meetings? Does he even attend?

Gary Kubiak? He helping out Wade Phillips? The D was sick before Wade.

Jason Garret? Got a lot of input for Rob?

Mike Smith? Helping out Dirk Koetter?

Tomlin? I'm sure he's got a ton of input for Lebeau and Haley.

This is a fallacy that Jets fans have made up. These guys know one side of the ball. There's a reason they hire coordinators.

Absolutely. But when they continue to happen, I lose my patience.

In some way, I am sure that Rich Kotite was sorry for many things. But that did not make him a great coach.

Has he lost the lockerroom this season? Did you just compare him to Rich Kotite?

Mediocre like the 2011 Giants? I'll ****ing take it.

But doesn't that fit squarely into Special's argument? He keeps on saying "fill the trophy case." The mediocre Giants did, so they aren't mediocre anymore because they have trophy's to prove otherwise. The mediocre Jets don't so they're still mediocre.

You mean, how he like....wins? lol

This has been my favorite argument this season so far. The team sucks, the Jets have the worst QB in the league - yet they still win, but Rex is a horrible HC.

Cant make this sh*t up.

Do people even realize how few HC's actually coach the entire team?

John Harbaugh? who was a ST's coordinator. Whats his input for Cam Cameron about offense?

Mike McCarthy? What is he doing Dom Capers meetings? Does he even attend?

Gary Kubiak? He helping out Wade Phillips? The D was sick before Wade.

Jason Garret? Got a lot of input for Rob?

Mike Smith? Helping out Dirk Koetter?

Tomlin? I'm sure he's got a ton of input for Lebeau and Haley.

This is a fallacy that Jets fans have made up. These guys know one side of the ball. There's a reason they hire coordinators.

I bet you that Harbaugh would know that Ray Rice got benched, and Kubiak would know it JJ Watt got benched, and McCarthy would know if Matthews got benched. Rex had no ****ing clue what was going on with Holmes during the season or in the Miami game.

I'm not saying a HC has to coordinate every unit. No one can do that. But they better have the pulse of every unit, know what's going on with them and know what the hell the gameplan is on both sides of the ball. That's what good HCs do. That's what Belichick does, that's what Coughlin does, that's what the names I mentioned do.

This has been my favorite argument this season so far. The team sucks, the Jets have the worst QB in the league - yet they still win, but Rex is a horrible HC.

Cant make this sh*t up.

Never said he was horrible. Way to twist words.... Like the media!!! I said mediocre. And the jets are???? Mediocre.

3 wins against who?

Beat some good teams and we can talk.

Until proven wrong, this team and its head coach are mediocre.

Andy Reid just fired Juan Castillo as his defensive coordinator. It was Reid's fault in the first place that Castillo was moved from O-line coach to Defensive coordinator.

Fact is, you look at Eagles defensive stats, they are not horrible in rankings. But something is wrong. They blow leads and tackle poorly.

Rex would NEVER do this type of move.

Rex is the guy that wants to have all the fun at the party, but when it is time to clean up and fix some of the damage, he is hiding in the basement, waiting for someone else to do it.

Andy Reid just fired Juan Castillo as his defensive coordinator. It was Reid's fault in the first place that Castillo was moved from O-line coach to Defensive coordinator.

Fact is, you look at Eagles defensive stats, they are not horrible in rankings. But something is wrong. They blow leads and tackle poorly.

Rex would NEVER do this type of move.

Rex is the guy that wants to have all the fun at the party, but when it is time to clean up and fix some of the damage, he is hiding in the basement, waiting for someone else to do it.

:lol:

Rex is nicer than this. He tries to not fire people, and helps them try to find a HC gig... Rex is a good man. Andy Reid? No so much.. Rex is awesome.

Ultra-Rare-LEGO-Unicorn-Ass-Rainbow-Set.jpg

Not yet im not. Rex has won nothing, team has declined in 4 years, and shows little promise for a good future.

But hey... i wish we could all have sunshine and rainbows shooting out of our ass.

Ultra-Rare-LEGO-Unicorn-Ass-Rainbow-Set.jpg

The Jets have won nothing in 43 years. Rex is the most successful coach of those who have won nothing.

Cant make this sh*t up.

Jif-No offense and I think you are a really good guy and your fandom can't be questioned. You are true and green.

But you are the guy that comes to the party late, also. You hold onto your wants of players and coaches, because you really, really, really want them to succeed. So do I and so do most of us.

But you need to also recognize the time to cut bait and chase. The same you did after 4 short games with Sanchez, after you gave him all your heart this offseason.

I have been that guy too.

I just can't do it with Rex. All the signs are there for a crash and burn. I prefer the team to be on the front side of this in this case.

Archived