Hand-picked game-changing fullback John Conner released (Merged)

T0mShane

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We spent the 61st pick that year on Ducasse, a project that has yet to see the field as a lineman in any meaningful situations

this is not really true. The Jets have been quietly rotating Vlad in real snaps at LG. It's all set up for Slauson to leave next season.

Presumably to make room for multi-millionaire non-playing third team QB Kevin O'Connell.

Process

OMG. Shane wasn't ****ing messing with us!!! This was actually a topic of conversation!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Asked whether free agent QB Kevin O’Connell, who worked out for the team on Tuesday, could return, Ryan said “it’s always a possibility,” but didn’t get into whether a deal was imminent.

“Kevin’s a guy that we feel really good about,” Ryan said. “You have to be prepared down the road as well.”

I never said the guy was a world-beater, but the Packers never gave him any help in the form of an extra blocker as a 1st-year starter and he's on a team that takes more sacks than usual by design. Factor in that he wouldn't be playing LT here, and you're telling me that you wouldn't have rather had him coming into this season than the like of Wayne Hunter?

confused.jpg

So the offense is DESIGNED to concuss the QB and/or get him hit more often?? Sounds groundbreaking - an idea from The Football Men who run that franchise properly?

Oh please. Picks like Newhouse make Rodgers the Discount Double Check star he is today. They land guys like that because a true Football Man guides their path with his everlasting light. You are tripping if you think otherwise.

The Jets drafted an OL that same year at #61 that hasn't seen the field and had to scramble to find a serviceable RT. The Packers thought enough of Newhouse (who I'm not suggesting is anything more than a replacement-level player) to not bother finding an upgrade this offseason to protect their oft-concussed all-world QB.

I'm not suggesting that it's the sole difference between the two teams, but it does highlight why we're a team with absolutely no depth.

Greg Hardy is underrated as all heckaroni, but DL isn't an issue here. This is from the biggest Greg Hardy fan ON the Internetz.

Wouldn't getting Hardy back in 2010 made drafting Coples this year unnecessary and allow the Jets to look elsewhere instead?

This would be why you don't waste a 5th Rd pick on a fullback with no ball skills when you have zero team depth. When you miss on 1st Rd picks, trade away other early-to-mid rounders for the right to overpay players on their 2nd contract, and spend late-rounders on guys with little to no upside, this is the type of roster you end up with.

We spent the 61st pick that year on Ducasse, a project that has yet to see the field as a lineman in any meaningful situations and the 139th pick on "hand-picked" Conner, who, if not for Hard Knocks and a cool (but undeserving) nickname, would be an unknown to most Jets fans. Meanwhile, the Packers used the 169th pick on Marshall Newhouse, who is in his 2nd season as a starter at tackle.

In looking back at it in some detail, this draft was even more brutal for the Jets than I had thought.

It was an injury settlement. He wasn't necessarily cut based on performance.

Ducasse has been a bust so far, but he certainly has been on the field in meaningful situations. He was on the field for at least a couple of TD drives this season as LG. They have been rotating him with Slauson more and more as the season has gone on and few people have noticed - which is a sign that he hasn't been a drop off. I'm not sure if he's looking better than Slauson in the running game because last week was the first time it looked really good, but he's been out there more and more and probably will see more time as the season goes on.

So the offense is DESIGNED to concuss the QB and/or get him hit more often?? Sounds groundbreaking - an idea from The Football Men who run that franchise properly?

I hope that you're being intentionally obtuse in this case. The offense is designed to take more shots downfield, which necessitates that the QB hold the ball longer, which results in "longer" sacks. This is evidenced by Rodgers ranking 32nd in the league in percentage of sacks that are over 3 seconds post-snap.

Guys like Hasselback and the Manning brothers consistently rank near the top in least long sacks taken, not by sheer coincidence or because they have the next Anthony Munoz protecting their blindside, but because they play a totally different style than Rodgers.

Wouldn't getting Hardy back in 2010 made drafting Coples this year unnecessary and allow the Jets to look elsewhere instead?

Nope, not at all. Just as having Justin Tuck, Osi, and Strahan didn't make Kiwanuka a bad pick and then JPP a couple years later.

The Jets drafted an OL that same year at #61 that hasn't seen the field and had to scramble to find a serviceable RT. The Packers thought enough of Newhouse (who I'm not suggesting is anything more than a replacement-level player) to not bother finding an upgrade this offseason to protect their oft-concussed all-world QB.

I'm not suggesting that it's the sole difference between the two teams, but it does highlight why we're a team with absolutely no depth.

Newhouse is their Slauson, except he sucks a little bit more. The difference between the two teams is that one has a QB that became a franchise guy in his 4th year while the other has Mark Sanchez.

I hope that you're being intentionally obtuse in this case. The offense is designed to take more shots downfield, which necessitates that the QB hold the ball longer, which results in "longer" sacks. This is evidenced by Rodgers ranking 32nd in the league in percentage of sacks that are over 3 seconds post-snap.

Guys like Hasselback and the Manning brothers consistently rank near the top in least long sacks taken, not by sheer coincidence or because they have the next Anthony Munoz protecting their blindside, but because they play a totally different style than Rodgers.

Completely immobile?

Rodgers is one of the more athletic QBs on the league and he does a fine job moving and throwing. There is no such thing as an NFL team that designs an offense so their QB is taking a beating. MAYBE there are special cases - like a Drew Bledsoe or Kurt Warner - where the QB is an absolute plodder at the end of his rope, but never for a team with a young guy like Rodgers at QB. Their OL sucks and Newhouse is a contributor to that.

Not only that, but their offense has plenty of quick throws in it.

Their OLs performance is reflected in their poor run blocking as well.

That may be true, but his performance hasn't convinced me otherwise, either.

Ducasse has been a bust so far, but he certainly has been on the field in meaningful situations. He was on the field for at least a couple of TD drives this season as LG. They have been rotating him with Slauson more and more as the season has gone on and few people have noticed - which is a sign that he hasn't been a drop off. I'm not sure if he's looking better than Slauson in the running game because last week was the first time it looked really good, but he's been out there more and more and probably will see more time as the season goes on.

I did mean to say prior to this year, as I have seen him on the field... though I will admit that I haven't noticed him on the field all that much, because I honestly haven't been scrutinizing most of the games this year. I've either been catching them in a sports bar when travelling or watching them on the DVR and fast-forwarding between plays.

That may be true, but his performance hasn't convinced me otherwise, either.

I did mean to say prior to this year, as I have seen him on the field... though I will admit that I haven't noticed him on the field all that much, because I honestly haven't been scrutinizing most of the games this year. I've either been catching them in a sports bar when travelling or watching them on the DVR and fast-forwarding between plays.

I usually watch every move that guy makes, but I have had trouble following him this year. The announcers never notice or mention when he goes in. Too busy showing shots of Revis in the booth or tweets by Holmes. Not sure how good Ducasse has looked, but he hasn't looked bad. There was one play where Collingsworth tried to blame him on a draw, but it looked like he did exactly what he was supposed to - let the defender rush up field and kick him out and push him further upfield so the back could run in the lane.

Whoa, thanks for cluing me in on Vlad. Maybe I'll look for him next time.

Then there's Sanchez, who takes lots of long sacks and nobody has a damn clue as to why (well, you know, other than him sucking).

Out of curiosity and morbid interest, how many of those players are still with their team?

Dont know, that would take a lot of work. But just based on the general statistics when it comes to the draft. I'd say very few or at least soon enough very few. I read recently that 75% of an NFL draft isnt in the league after 3 years. Connor was slightly ahead of the curve.

Wouldn't mind having Greg Hardy instead of Conner...

Missed him when I was skimming through those names. Kurt Coleman is a decent little player for the Eagles too.

Rodgers is one of the more athletic QBs on the league and he does a fine job moving and throwing. There is no such thing as an NFL team that designs an offense so their QB is taking a beating. MAYBE there are special cases - like a Drew Bledsoe or Kurt Warner - where the QB is an absolute plodder at the end of his rope, but never for a team with a young guy like Rodgers at QB. Their OL sucks and Newhouse is a contributor to that.

So, he's athletic, moves well, yet still ranks near the bottom in taking long sacks... meaning that he tends to hold the ball too long trying to make a play and doesn't throw it away. I agree that their O-Line sucks and wasn't suggesting Newhouse to be more than a serviceable starter (at best) at this stage. However, even as a depth lineman, it's better than having a no-impact FB that can't catch or run with the football. Guys like that are a dime-a-dozen as UDFA's every year. What makes his selection even more egregious is that they only had 4 picks that year.

Hell, they'd have been better off with Zoltan Mesko in that spot.

I'm almost positive he was in during the TD drive (Cumberland) against the Texans. He played in the 3rd quarter too. I don't think it's a one in one out rotation, but they are swapping them a bunch.

He had a couple of mauling blocks vs. Indy in the run game.

I'm almost positive he was in during the TD drive (Cumberland) against the Texans. He played in the 3rd quarter too. I don't think it's a one in one out rotation, but they are swapping them a bunch.

Pretty sure they also pulled Mangold, slid Slauson over and plugged Vlad in at LG when running the clock late in Sunday's game. They're definitely getting him more and more reps and probably trying to get a feel for how comfortable they are with letting Slauson walk and plugging Vlad in as a starter next year.

Pretty sure they also pulled Mangold, slid Slauson over and plugged Vlad in at LG when running the clock late in Sunday's game. They're definitely getting him more and more reps and probably trying to get a feel for how comfortable they are with letting Slauson walk and plugging Vlad in as a starter next year.

Letting Vlad start on our offense is going to be a catastrophe. Its going to get our next franchise quarterback killed. Guy is a small school turd. He is terrible.

Yeah. That and resting Mangold who was on the cart for a bit against the Texans.

Archived