Hand-picked game-changing fullback John Conner released (Merged)

T0mShane

I'm all for drafting BAP, but we need to get Sanchez some "weapons" at some point too, no?

Oh no no no...I don't play that game. Holmes, Hill, Keller, Kerley, and Schillens was as athletic and deep a group of pass catchers as the Jets have had. Then there's guys like Cumberland, Greene, Powell, and McKnight who aren't embarrassing themselves either. Defense needs weapons too...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm almost positive he was in during the TD drive (Cumberland) against the Texans. He played in the 3rd quarter too. I don't think it's a one in one out rotation, but they are swapping them a bunch.

With Moore on the way out if Vlad can put himself into a position to take a G job....

So, he's athletic, moves well, yet still ranks near the bottom in taking long sacks... meaning that he tends to hold the ball too long trying to make a play and doesn't throw it away. I agree that their O-Line sucks and wasn't suggesting Newhouse to be more than a serviceable starter (at best) at this stage. However, even as a depth lineman, it's better than having a no-impact FB that can't catch or run with the football. Guys like that are a dime-a-dozen as UDFA's every year. What makes his selection even more egregious is that they only had 4 picks that year.

Hell, they'd have been better off with Zoltan Mesko in that spot.

As are bad OL...Welcome to Day 3 of the draft.

Nice call on Mesko...The Zoltan is probably my favorite P prospect in recent years.

Oh no no no...I don't play that game. Holmes, Hill, Keller, Kerley, and Schillens was as athletic and deep a group of pass catchers as the Jets have had. Then there's guys like Cumberland, Greene, Powell, and McKnight who aren't embarrassing themselves either. Defense needs weapons too...

Tongue was firmly planted in cheek when I posted that.

Letting Vlad start on our offense is going to be a catastrophe. Its going to get our next franchise quarterback killed. Guy is a small school turd. He is terrible.

He's been playing 10-20 snaps on O for most of the season. I had to look it up. Can't find the figures on the Texans game and I think that is where he played the most. Jason has it on nyjetscap.com , but the page wouldn't open.

Now you see why I had the Jets picking up a FB in the draft forum. Told ya he sucked.

They might have needed a FB, but Conner sucking seems like the kind of thing that would sour them on picking guys for "low impact" positions. I think they like Baker there. He can catch and might have been a nice security blanket for Sanchez. Too bad he wrecked his knee.

Now you see why I had the Jets picking up a FB in the draft forum. Told ya he sucked.

when a dude gets an injury settlement that's not necessarily a sign that he sucks. It's a sign that he got hurt and he's not a star. If Conner stays healthy he's probably still the FB.

Presumably to make room for multi-millionaire non-playing third team QB Kevin O'Connell.

WTF - how bad must McElroy suck to have this kind of activity going on? I know the kid shot his mouth off and p.o.'d the world outside of Alabama - but he must be showing nothing in the limited practice reps he gets.

He's been playing 10-20 snaps on O for most of the season. I had to look it up. Can't find the figures on the Texans game and I think that is where he played the most. Jason has it on nyjetscap.com , but the page wouldn't open.

They might have needed a FB, but Conner sucking seems like the kind of thing that would sour them on picking guys for "low impact" positions. I think they like Baker there. He can catch and might have been a nice security blanket for Sanchez. Too bad he wrecked his knee.

I don't trust him. Its like he has no idea where to go, unless its "Vlad, running into this guy full speed".

WTF - how bad must McElroy suck to have this kind of activity going on? I know the kid shot his mouth off and p.o.'d the world outside of Alabama - but he must be showing nothing in the limited practice reps he gets.

I noticed sometimes he progressed past his first read in preseason, he doesn't fit our system

After struggling to make the team in 2012, the Jets have decided to end the experiment and waive fullback John “The Terminator” Connor.  He had made a name for himself in the 2010 edition of Hard Knocks. His knee and hamstring injuries also played a part as the team couldn’t afford to keep him on the roster thanks to a bunch of other injuries  He had been replaced by fullback/running back Lex Hilliard who has filled the role well enough to make Connor expendable. The roster spot he was occupying has been filled by linebacker Marcus Dowtin who was on the team’s practice squad.

Head Coach Rex Ryan has stated that Connor could be brought back but by rule he can’t be signed until 6 weeks plus however many weeks he was paid for his injury settlement.  Connor has had 21 carries for 88 yards and 4 catches for 18 yards in two-plus years with the Jets.

In other news, the Jets have been looking at quarterback Kevin O’Connell who last played for the team in 2011. He visited the team on Tuesday and it sounds like the team could sign him even though the team already has three quarterbacks on the roster.

You can read more about this in our

I tweeted this out earlier today, but the odds of Conner coming back are slim. When you give an injury settlement to a player you are basically terminating your relationship with the player for good. The way it works is that once you give the player the settlement you are no longer permitted to re-sign the player until 6 weeks pass. The clock begins at the end of the settlement period, which is paid based on weeks a player is expected to miss. So if Conner got a 2 week settlement, it means the Jets can not sign him for another 8 weeks, which would put it at week 15. Thats an unlikely scenario. They could more or less use the IR designation for return if that was the plan. If the Jets really wanted him back what they would do is waive him, keep their fingers crossed nobody picked him up, and then bring him back at a later date when he could play. Of course the player has to believe the team will do it but if the relationship is good that is the way it works. If they see a long term future for the player with the team and he is really hurt they will put him on IR.

The Jets haven't been happy with Conner. He never developed as a "wrecking ball" the way they hoped. He was only kept this year, IMO, because they didnt have another option and felt tied to him from the draft. Once they were happy with Hilliard it became an easy decision. To claim that "they just need a roster spot" is disingenuous. For weeks the Jets have carried Revis as dead weight. They completely botched up the Pouha decision by not putting him on IR in week 1. They carry dead weight all the time. Conner had no future with the team so they dumped him. If he had a future he would still be here.

It all goes back to the Jets drafting. Here was my take on him in 2010:

"Only 10 Fullbacks have been drafted in the fifth round and only Mike Karney of the Saints has been a quality starter. An average pick is out of the NFL within 3 years and only appears in a handful of games.

The Jets have not shown much of a track record in round 5. The draft choices are G Jonathan Goodwin, S Derek Pagel, DE Matt Walters, S Erik Coleman, S Andre Maddox, TE Jason Pociask, and QB Erik Ainge.

Goodwin has had a much better than average career. He has lasted in the NFL for 8 years and has become a starter for the New Orleans Saints. Hes a solid enough veteran that ranks in the top 10 of the 31 fifth round guards. B.

Coleman was the other bright spot of the fifth rounders. Fans expected alot because of a nice rookie season and he never delivered, but he is arguably the second best safety selected in the round and one of only two players who ended up being a full time starter. Pagel was gone after two seasons and Maddox never even played in a game. Coleman earns an A- , Pagel a D, and Maddox a F.

The fifth round has produced a number of Pro Bowl and starting quality Defensive Ends. Needless to say Walters was not one of them. F….TE Jason Pociask appeared in 4 games before his NFL career was over. F…Erik Ainge’s biggest claims to fame were a preseason pass and a drug suspension. The book is still open, but he is right at the bottom of the QB list for round 5. F.

It’s a spotty round for the Jets. Their two best picks ended up leaving the team and the rest quickly left the NFL. None of this bodes well for Conners future. Between the Jets history and the relative lack of production of draftees at the position, if Conner lasts for more than two seasons on the roster he will exceed expectations."

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2012/10/jets-reach-injury-settlement-with-fullback-john-conner

The Jets came to an injury settlement with fullback John Conner, who has been dealing with a MCL sprain and hamstring injury in recent weeks. Although Gang Green waived him, Rex Ryan said Wednesday that the move “doesn’t preclude us from bringing him back at some point… that is a possibility that he could be back with us.”

The Jets signed LB Marcus Dowtin off the practice squad to take Conner’s roster spot heading into the Patriots’ game on Sunday. “Quite honestly we needed the spot,” Ryan said.

The Jets hope to bring back Conner, a fifth-round pick in 2010, in the future if he doesn’t sign with another team, according to a source. Per terms of the new CBA, Conner wouldn’t be eligible to return to the Jets until late in the regular season.

Conner hit the national stage when Ryan routinely praised Conner -- nicknamed "The Terminator" -- on Hard Knocks during his rookie year.

Ryan has been impressed with veteran Lex Hilliard, who was recently signed when Conner hurt his hamstring.

“I do really like the way Hilliard’s played,” Ryan said. “He’s done a tremendous job for us stepping in, not just as a fullback, but even on special teams. He’s been a really good addition. With that being said, we’ll see. There could be a possibility down that road that you have both those guys on your team.”

Asked whether free agent QB Kevin O’Connell, who worked out for the team on Tuesday, could return, Ryan said “it’s always a possibility,” but didn’t get into whether a deal was imminent. "I'm not going to say one way or the other," Ryan said.

“Kevin’s a guy that we feel really good about,” Ryan said. “You have to be prepared down the road as well.”

Bad timing, considering how many holes they have in the backfield this weak.

I'm sure he's better at pass protections than Grimes, and he can catch a pass or two out of the backfield.

As strange as bringing QB Kevin O'Donnell in for a try-out this week. Another T-Rex head-scratcher.....

BD

That was the original plan in the beginning of the season - like it really matters though.

If Simms got cut.. and we've seen what O'Connell has numerous times... wtf. I don't know. Hopefully this just means we get to see someone other than Mark get the rock.

Bad timing, considering how many holes they have in the backfield this weak.

I'm sure he's better at pass protections than Grimes, and he can catch a pass or two out of the backfield.

As strange as bringing QB Kevin O'Donnell in for a try-out this week. Another T-Rex head-scratcher.....

BD

"Weak"? Seriously dude? Not a fan of grammar nazis but come on. At least try.

Bad timing? He's been injured so unless you've been seeing sh*t.. he hasn't played anyway.

What do you know about Grimes? You seem to know he can't pass protect.

Conner couldn't catch a cold.

Archived