Looking Forward: Clean House

leonwash29

In preparation of a probable loss this weekend, I figured I'd get a head start on a short rant that's been building up over the past couple years from the obvious things you've probably and I have definitely noticed. Things will not change unless you kill the problem from the head down so here it goes.

With Rex, every year and after every game, it's the EXACT same song and dance:

'Belichick is the best coach. It's me vs. him. The division (STILL) runs through them'

'I'm sticking with Mark, no question, he's my guy. Eventually things are going to turn around. '

'We're the team to beat. We're gonna give em' our best shot, 'come out swinging'. I feel this is my best team since I've been coach.'

'We got our azses kicked/embarrassed today but I'll tell you one thing I'll play em' again right now.'

-Like a broken record, you're going to hear the same quotes on Sunday.-

'Mark is still my guy.' ..... etc

Same old Rex = Same old Jets. Like you guys said he will never even get another coordinating job because of his stubborn and obnoxiously overpowering personality. He's also a sh*t head coach who neglects to acknowledge the offense every year through draft and free agency.

(2 First round DE's and STILL no pass rush!)

End the circus and bring in a disciplinarian coach who will be taken seriously.

Players coaches don't win Super Bowls.

I pray this team does some serious spring cleaning which includes the axing of Mike, T. Rex, Sanchez and Santonio. I'd go on about the other 3 but I've already wasted enough time. <rant over>

Same old Rex = Same old Jets. Like you guys said he will never even get another coordinating job because of his stubborn and obnoxiously overpowering personality. He's also a sh*t head coach who neglects to acknowledge the offense every year through draft and free agency.

Rex WILL get another coordinator job. Rex WILL get another head coaching job. Rex WILL be successful at his next stop.

Yay!!! More fire Rex Ryan threads.

3 years ago he changed the culture. This year, sitting 3-3 with a shot to take out the Patriots.....CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the problem. He changed the culture. Most of these people were happy to sit through all those years of Herm because "he has a winning record". Now a guy isn't allowed to go .500 for 6 games without them calling for his head on a platter. Herm would have ridden those 2 AFC Championship games into a 30 year career as Jets coach.

That's the problem. He changed the culture. Most of these people were happy to sit through all those years of Herm because "he has a winning record". Now a guy isn't allowed to go .500 for 6 games without them calling for his head on a platter. Herm would have ridden those 2 AFC Championship games into a 30 year career as Jets coach.

But did you see the way Herm addressed the media?

.500 for 6 games? Guess you forgot last season.

Other than 1 very good season, Rex's teams are barely over .500 I think we're lucky to be that good with such a terrible cast of players.

Yay!!! More fire Rex Ryan threads.

3 years ago he changed the culture. This year, sitting 3-3 with a shot to take out the Patriots.....CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please name for me one aspect of the 3 main areas of the team that has improved fro year 1 of Rex, to year 4.

I know this, for every one that you name, I will be able to list at least 2 that are in decline.

That does not bode well. And the evidence continues to mount that they are further in erosion.

Mediocrity is apparently the opiate for the masses.

I want consistency, but I'm not willing to put up with anything but constant winning!

A lot of people try to correlate Eli's career with Sanchez. How about Rex with Coughlin? Took over with a new QB and his first three years the team was 6-10, 11-5 and 8-8. They were 0-2 in '07 before they went on a tear. There was plenty of discussion about Coughlin losing the team and he had to start some ridiculous "leadership" panel because the player were rebelling over his stupidity - rules that you had to be 5 minutes early to meetings, etc.

True the team Coughlin took over was 4-12, not 9-7. OTOH, they were 10-6 the year before that and only a few years removed from the super bowl loss to the Ravens. Also Coughlin had been a head coach before in college and the pros, so he should have been better prepared than Rex who is known as a good motivator and defensive mind, but a work in progress as far as running the whole show. I'd like to see how things go before we run him out of town.

Please name for me one aspect of the 3 main areas of the team that has improved fro year 1 of Rex, to year 4.

I know this, for every one that you name, I will be able to list at least 2 that are in decline.

That does not bode well. And the evidence continues to mount that they are further in erosion.

BULL!!! We're like 5th in Kick Returns. So there!

Rex WILL get another coordinator job. Rex WILL get another head coaching job. Rex WILL be successful at his next stop.

Agree wholeheartedly. Fact is, the kind of bluster Rex came in with was cute and caught our jaded sportswriters by surprise, but that kind of rhetoric actually works better in the provinces. Before long the vultures of our local media were looking to punch holes in Rex, and I think they have hurt his brand. I wish he would just do football, too. But if he wants to brag and boast, it would still go over in the college-ey pro towns of the country. I am not crazy about his admitted personnel choices (John Connor), or the focus on defensive drafts, but he knows his football, and he can motivate.

The question with regard to Rex is if another coach would do better with these players. I don't see any reason to believe they would. Kind of like how replacing Schotty netted us 0. We need to change the players and the guy acquiring them.

The question with regard to Rex is if another coach would do better with these players. I don't see any reason to believe they would. Kind of like how replacing Schotty netted us 0. We need to change the players and the guy acquiring them.

I really would not mind someone that does not have an antiquated view of how a football team should be coached and is able to have his staff "coach up" players.

Rex needs to go. Regardless how quippy he is in press conferences. he brings zero as a coach

Mangini got another job.

Herm got another job.

Rex will always be able to get a job.

Difference is Rex will get a COACHING job. As much as I'd love to see Rex as an analyst, he'll be scooped up as a DC in less than an instant. Herm and Mangini are still waiting for the phone to ring.

I really would not mind someone that does not have an antiquated view of how a football team should be coached and is able to have his staff "coach up" players.

Rex needs to go. Regardless how quippy he is in press conferences. he brings zero as a coach

Really? Zero? Your arguments are trending retarded on this guy.

he didnt change our entire culture? Didnt bring a somewhat elite or atleast competitive defense every year? Hasnt had more success then most jets coaches?

BTW: i was hoping this thread was about the yankees

Difference is Rex will get a COACHING job. As much as I'd love to see Rex as an analyst, he'll be scooped up as a DC in less than an instant. Herm and Mangini are still waiting for the phone to ring.

Both Herm and Mangini got coaching jobs after they left the Jets. It was after they left the following clubs they were left out in the cold.

The bluster and BS are really not all that important.

What is important-Rex Ryan does not develop talent. Not any where on eiather side of the ball. Further "ground and pound" is in fact antiquated nonsense.He might as well be selling beepers in fornt of an Apple store. The rules beg you to pass. And when you can pass effectively you move the ball quickly and don't need to worry about something going wrong on a 15-play 7-1st down drive. Ryan is somewhere between hostile and indifferent about making his offense barely competent. And that brings you back to talent not improving.

The bluster and BS are really not all that important.

What is important-Rex Ryan does not develop talent. Not any where on eiather side of the ball. Further "ground and pound" is in fact antiquated nonsense.He might as well be selling beepers in fornt of an Apple store. The rules beg you to pass. And when you can pass effectively you move the ball quickly and don't need to worry about something going wrong on a 15-play 7-1st down drive. Ryan is somewhere between hostile and indifferent about making his offense barely competent. And that brings you back to talent not improving.

He is either stupidly stubborn, or unable to adapt.

Either of those qualities are bad for a coach

He is either stupidly stubborn, or unable to adapt.

He realized he needed a strong personality at OC and hired Tony Sparano.

He realized that the team needed to get faster and geared towards stopping the pass rather than the run. Hence why he drafted Wilkerson, Coples, Davis, and attempted to turn Maybin into an everydown guy.

He realized that the lockerroom needed a shift and disposed of captains and was fully on board with bringing in Tebow.

He realized he needed to stop guaranteeing Super Bowls.

In what way has Rex shown he is unwilling to adapt?

He realized he needed a strong personality at OC and hired Tony Sparano.

He realized that the team needed to get faster and geared towards stopping the pass rather than the run. Hence why he drafted Wilkerson, Coples, Davis, and attempted to turn Maybin into an everydown guy.

He realized that the lockerroom needed a shift and disposed of captains and was fully on board with bringing in Tebow.

He realized he needed to stop guaranteeing Super Bowls.

In what way has Rex shown he is unwilling to adapt?

Ok, adapting with success then is a problem

Either your answer is 0, or it is not in this thread. I do not see it

'

You can't grow much from "elite", which this defense has been every single season. But if you want to talk growth, look at our CB's. Cromartie and Kyle Wilson are SIGNIFICANTLY improved over the last 3 seasons. We haven't missed Revis at all the last 2 weeks. Our D-Line has been superb and the young guys we've brought in look legit so far. Sure, the LB's have taken several steps back, but that's due to roster decay (Tannenbaum), not lack of development.

Archived