Joe McKnight joins RBs during Jets practice while Tim Tebow stays with QBs

Steveg

By Conor Orr/The Star-LedgerThe Star-Ledger

on October 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM, updated October 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Joe McKnight joined the running backs during positional drills at practice yesterday, catching passes and running without a limp on his injured ankle.

Despite what looked like a more serious injury, McKnight told reporters yesterday that he would play against the Patriots because first place is on the line.

If McKnight can come back in time, it appears he would fill in Bilal Powell's role. Although not yet ruled out by Rex Ryan, Powell was not at the portion of practice open to the media today.

Ryan said yesterday that Jonathan Grimes would also be active.

Tim Tebow, who Ryan said is a possible candidate to get some reps at RB, stayed with the quarterbacks during the portion of practice available to the media.

Some other injury news and notes: S Eric Smith had his helmet on and did some light work during practice today. Bryan Thomas (hamstring) was over with the rehab group but later jumped into the team portion of practice.

C Nick Mangold (ankle) practiced and NT Sione Po'uha (low back) did positional drills.

Really interesting. I'd be eager to actually see how he looked, because anyone with a high ankle sprain, noticeable has zero explosiveness and lateral agility in and out of their breaks. I'd keep him for kick offs as his straight line speed most likely won't be hinder as much as his ability to make cuts and hit a hole. I actually do want to see what Grimes does in a big time game however.

There must be some serious screw up in reporting because there is no way McKnight could play with a high ankle sprain just a week after the injury. Must be a misreport.

We've gone through this a couple of times. Is there some level of severity to a high ankle sprain? I always thought of it as a twisted ankle that ends up hurting higher up into your calf. I'm assuming that is where it got torqued. We used to self-diagnose and that is what we meant when we said it. They were ALWAYS more painful and difficult than a corresponding level regular ankle sprain, but not necessarily particularly severe.

We used to get something we called turf toe which we usually referred to as "black toe", but not particularly bad. Just a nice black bruising under your big toenail and pain when you cut or somebody stepped on it that would make you think about just amputating it. I wonder if it was actually turf toe.

Really interesting. I'd be eager to actually see how he looked, because anyone with a high ankle sprain, noticeable has zero explosiveness and lateral agility in and out of their breaks. I'd keep him for kick offs as his straight line speed most likely won't be hinder as much as his ability to make cuts and hit a hole. I actually do want to see what Grimes does in a big time game however.

Then Greene must be suffering from a permanent high ankle sprain. McKnight on crutches has more explosiveness and lateral moves than Greene.

Yea, he's not playing. Looks like some reporters jumped the gun when they saw him outside near the positional drills; he didn't practice and despite what he said, he most likely will not be playing on sunday. For all the talk of Tebow being our backup running back or whatever was going on here, I'm surprised no one on here or the media has been mentioning utilizing lex hilliard in the running game or on third downs more. He seems to have good hands and can certainly block on third down. I still wanna see what Grimes can do, but hilliard seems like he'd be the most likely person to spell green a bit.

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN

RB Joe McKnight didn't practice today and is listed as questionable (high ankle sprain). #nyj

We've gone through this a couple of times. Is there some level of severity to a high ankle sprain? I always thought of it as a twisted ankle that ends up hurting higher up into your calf. I'm assuming that is where it got torqued. We used to self-diagnose and that is what we meant when we said it. They were ALWAYS more painful and difficult than a corresponding level regular ankle sprain, but not necessarily particularly severe.

We used to get something we called turf toe which we usually referred to as "black toe", but not particularly bad. Just a nice black bruising under your big toenail and pain when you cut or somebody stepped on it that would make you think about just amputating it. I wonder if it was actually turf toe.

High ankle sprains are for ligaments above the ankle and happen when the foot twists outward. Takes longer to recover from than a normal ankle sprain.

Archived