Tony Soprano Teflon OC

lancemehl

Wow...Imagine it was Schottenheimer who was billed as the Godfather of the Wildcat and yet in seven games Tebow hasn't run for more than two yards on a given play (maybe once)?? Schottenheimer's wildcats looked more creative than this dude's. Are you kidding? Where are the calls for Soprano's head?

We just watched Mark Sanchez put together the best drive of his life. He's been throwing the ball like Johnny Untias all quarter. We just marched 90+ yards to go in for a TD and would've had another one had Hill not dropped the ball. Now here we are on the 18 yard line, poised to ice the game..........and here comes TIM TEBOW!!?? Tim ****ing Tebow?? Get the **** out of here!

We went from the best red zone offense last year to the worst.

What if Schottenheimer had to settle for three after having a 2nd and 4 from their 5?? A slant to Schillens?? hahaha

I just don't get it. Not one Soprano post? This guy has been a mega-failure so far. At least with Schotty there was SOME good. Red zone for one. He looks like a genius next to this guy. AND of course, this goes right back to the FO! Another collossal blunder. Seriously, just play GM for a minute, instead of resumes just use wikipedia or something. They hired Sparano, what a week?, after firing Schotty? haha Based on what? Based on f----king what??? Even if they hired someone like Norv Turner that quickly, i would say they were too quick to act......and Norv Turner has an extensive body of work as OC in the NFL. Prior to this, Sparano called plays in the NFL ONCE...........Once. (<Joe Piscopo in "Johnny Dangerously"). They were 9-7 whoopee.

He was a failure in Miami that's why he was fired in a disgraceful manner. The Miami Dolphins offense was on poster for anemic offenses while he was there......and we snatched him up like he was Phil Jackson. Please, guys. Again I am slow to comprehend and I need your help. Please explain this to me, because such questions are very disturbing for a fanatic like myself. I wish I didn't have to carry this cross through life, but I've been cursed so I'm just trying to make sense of it the best I can.

I just don't get it. Not one Soprano post? This guy has been a mega-failure so far.

coaches coach, players play.

this idea that the offense is being held back by the OC was relevant when Hackett was in charge. Since then the OC's have been competant, nothing special but basically all NFL offenses are the same and the differences are the players.

Maybe the rest of us just know better than to trash talk a known gangster like Tony Soprano. You keep running your mouth like that you'll end up sleeping with the fishes.

As far as that Jets OC guy though, he's been getting trashed plenty around here and besides, he's been around for 7 games, Schitty was around for 6 years, so I think there's just a slight difference.

He has taken the heat with playcalling He has not been immune. My big gripe so far is the use of Tebow- all in the wrong situations and I would make him throw the ball off a play fake instead of running every single time we use him

Tebow running wide with an option trailer was very effective with the Broncos because often he would be 1 on 1 with an LB or safety moving laterally to beat, and he could with a head of steam run them over or get away from them . Tebow running right up the middle at the biggest DL guys up the gut is a total waste of time.

Aside from incorrectly using Tebow and certain play calling in some situations, Sparano is doing an okay job. It's only been 7 games. I'd give him a B- so far. The offense is short on talent but Kerley's emerging as a force and they're putting it together. I think they're way ahead of where they were in Weeks 02 - 04 of the season (minus Buffalo). They look better. Long way to go, but I think we have seen some improvement.

Wow...Imagine it was Schottenheimer who was billed as the Godfather of the Wildcat and yet in seven games Tebow hasn't run for more than two yards on a given play (maybe once)?? Schottenheimer's wildcats looked more creative than this dude's. Are you kidding? Where are the calls for Soprano's head?

We just watched Mark Sanchez put together the best drive of his life. He's been throwing the ball like Johnny Untias all quarter. We just marched 90+ yards to go in for a TD and would've had another one had Hill not dropped the ball. Now here we are on the 18 yard line, poised to ice the game..........and here comes TIM TEBOW!!?? Tim ****ing Tebow?? Get the **** out of here!

We went from the best red zone offense last year to the worst.

What if Schottenheimer had to settle for three after having a 2nd and 4 from their 5?? A slant to Schillens?? hahaha

I just don't get it. Not one Soprano post? This guy has been a mega-failure so far. At least with Schotty there was SOME good. Red zone for one. He looks like a genius next to this guy. AND of course, this goes right back to the FO! Another collossal blunder. Seriously, just play GM for a minute, instead of resumes just use wikipedia or something. They hired Sparano, what a week?, after firing Schotty? haha Based on what? Based on f----king what??? Even if they hired someone like Norv Turner that quickly, i would say they were too quick to act......and Norv Turner has an extensive body of work as OC in the NFL. Prior to this, Sparano called plays in the NFL ONCE...........Once. (<Joe Piscopo in "Johnny Dangerously"). They were 9-7 whoopee.

He was a failure in Miami that's why he was fired in a disgraceful manner. The Miami Dolphins offense was on poster for anemic offenses while he was there......and we snatched him up like he was Phil Jackson. Please, guys. Again I am slow to comprehend and I need your help. Please explain this to me, because such questions are very disturbing for a fanatic like myself. I wish I didn't have to carry this cross through life, but I've been cursed so I'm just trying to make sense of it the best I can.

First off Sparano might have gotten the credit for the creation of Miami's wildcat, but that is not true, the only thing he did was allow the concept to be used for his offense that season, the creation of the plays were on the O-Coordinator that season, I believe it was Henning, but I could be wrong. All Tony did was say yea I like the idea Im open to running this type of offense here, he IMO had nothing to do with the creativity of the actual plays themselves IMO.

2nd You are way off base on Schotty's redzone success, the Jets were putrid in the red zone every year, until last season when Tom Moore was brought in to specifically improve the Jets redzone success, which he did by installing a very aggressive approach to the way the plays should be called, and the only credit Schotty deserves is actually taking the advice, and I assume that is only because those were the orders from Rex himself, I think back to last season, and wonder what could have been if the whole game was called as aggresively, and creatively as our redzone offense was.

3rd I half agree with you on Sparano, I hate his play calling at times, it seems he has a bad feel for the flow of the game, particularly in the redzone, and thinks kicking FG's deserves a fist pump (Rex apparently has been influenced some here, after his numerous fist pumps Sunday after the to Folk FG's). Sparano's offensive concept, and actual offense on the other hand I love, the play designs to throw down field, the miss direction on some running plays to create open lanes to run through even against stout run defenses, but he is not the right guy to call the sequence of these plays at times. So my take is the scheme, and offense I love, the man calling the plays, from that scheme not so much if that makes any sense.

In conclusion Sparano has come through the Parcells tree of coaching, and follows the same offensive ideas as most Parcells guys, EXCEPT one thing, he apparently did not get the importance emphasied on SCORING TD's instead of FG's like Parcells, and Belicheck for that matter preached to specifically his QB's, Parcells placed all the blame on his QB for not putting the ball in the endzone on each drive, but in turn also made sure the guy calling the plays gave said QB the best oppurtonity's to get that TD, and Parcells was not shy to tell either he was not pleased with the job they did if the end result was not a TD, and Sparano fails at this once he crosses the 20 (IMO it starts even earlier more like the 30 in his case) he gets very conservative, or loses the feel for the flow of his offense at that time, and the end result is FG's instead of TD's, and Losses instead of Wins IMO!

To Sparano's credit he is a very good coach, he gets players to give him everything they got, and play hard for him, and understands the inner workings of his players, and how to get everything out of them, but his pulse is not on calling offensive plays, he should be more suited for teaching, and assisting with the offense, something along the lines of OL coach/Assistant HC IMO.

He is saving the good plays for later in the season. Just like he didnt use any half decent plays in the preseason. Now he is using his average plays. Next will be good plays. Following the good plays come, yes, you guessed it, great plays. Come playoffs? thats when the elite plays come out. Some sh*t you never even imagined, kinda like the three prong blitz that parcells saved for the playoffs except for the offensive side of the ball. damn. I already said too much...

First off Sparano might have gotten the credit for the creation of Miami's wildcat, but that is not true, the only thing he did was allow the concept to be used for his offense that season, the creation of the plays were on the O-Coordinator that season, I believe it was Henning, but I could be wrong. All Tony did was say yea I like the idea Im open to running this type of offense here, he IMO had nothing to do with the creativity of the actual plays themselves IMO.

2nd You are way off base on Schotty's redzone success, the Jets were putrid in the red zone every year, until last season when Tom Moore was brought in to specifically improve the Jets redzone success, which he did by installing a very aggressive approach to the way the plays should be called, and the only credit Schotty deserves is actually taking the advice, and I assume that is only because those were the orders from Rex himself, I think back to last season, and wonder what could have been if the whole game was called as aggresively, and creatively as our redzone offense was.

3rd I half agree with you on Sparano, I hate his play calling at times, it seems he has a bad feel for the flow of the game, particularly in the redzone, and thinks kicking FG's deserves a fist pump (Rex apparently has been influenced some here, after his numerous fist pumps Sunday after the to Folk FG's). Sparano's offensive concept, and actual offense on the other hand I love, the play designs to throw down field, the miss direction on some running plays to create open lanes to run through even against stout run defenses, but he is not the right guy to call the sequence of these plays at times. So my take is the scheme, and offense I love, the man calling the plays, from that scheme not so much if that makes any sense.

In conclusion Sparano has come through the Parcells tree of coaching, and follows the same offensive ideas as most Parcells guys, EXCEPT one thing, he apparently did not get the importance emphasied on SCORING TD's instead of FG's like Parcells, and Belicheck for that matter preached to specifically his QB's, Parcells placed all the blame on his QB for not putting the ball in the endzone on each drive, but in turn also made sure the guy calling the plays gave said QB the best oppurtonity's to get that TD, and Parcells was not shy to tell either he was not pleased with the job they did if the end result was not a TD, and Sparano fails at this once he crosses the 20 (IMO it starts even earlier more like the 30 in his case) he gets very conservative, or loses the feel for the flow of his offense at that time, and the end result is FG's instead of TD's, and Losses instead of Wins IMO!

To Sparano's credit he is a very good coach, he gets players to give him everything they got, and play hard for him, and understands the inner workings of his players, and how to get everything out of them, but his pulse is not on calling offensive plays, he should be more suited for teaching, and assisting with the offense, something along the lines of OL coach/Assistant HC IMO.

As a Dolphins fan who had a close on eye on the Tony Sparano era in Miami, this analysis is SPOT ON.

He has taken the heat with playcalling He has not been immune. My big gripe so far is the use of Tebow- all in the wrong situations and I would make him throw the ball off a play fake instead of running every single time we use him

Well said. My gripe is Tebow getting in for only one play at a time. It seems stupid.

If they gave Tebow the ball two times, he'd get the two fricking yards, plus more!

No sh*t. It's the only f---in time i would give the ball to Tebow. isn't that why we got him?? Isn't that his f----in specialty? If he can't pick up 2 yards on 2 tries (or four yards on three tries) Then WTF is he here for? I'm stunned at the level of stupidity this franchise has maintained for over three decades. This Tebow thing is the ultimate though. You would think he just joined the team the night before these games.

and ALWAYS off left guard..

I have to agree with this thread. The only coach on this team that knows how to effectively use Tebow is Mike Westhoff. At least HE lets Tebow throw once in a while. Defenses don't even bother to cover our wideouts when Tebow is in the shotgun - they just stack the middle - THE MIDDLE!!!! And pulling Sanchez when he's in a rhythm and driving 70 yards down the field is just plain dumb.

No sh*t. It's the only f---in time i would give the ball to Tebow. isn't that why we got him?? Isn't that his f----in specialty? If he can't pick up 2 yards on 2 tries (or four yards on three tries) Then WTF is he here for? I'm stunned at the level of stupidity this franchise has maintained for over three decades. This Tebow thing is the ultimate though. You would think he just joined the team the night before these games.

Really? I think that barely scratches the surface. Just off the top of my head: Not drafting Manning when they had the opportunity to do so, hiring Bradway as GM, hiring of Walton, Kotite, Coslet, Herm as coaches. You get the idea

coaches coach, players play.

this idea that the offense is being held back by the OC was relevant when Hackett was in charge. Since then the OC's have been competant, nothing special but basically all NFL offenses are the same and the differences are the players.

lol Oh really..were you not here during Schottenheimer's reign? Coaches coach now, huh? haha

Our biggest problems according to JN:

Hackett

Heimerdinger

Schottenheimer

Sparano (+ Tebow)

Our biggest problems in reality:

Chad Pennington

Mark Sanchez

Could that pass to Stephen Hill have been more beautiful? lmao I love it. It's either the OC or the QB. Period. There is plenty of sucking to go around. Plenty. God forbid the defense holds anybody when it counts. This team is a joke from top to bottom. I'm just glad Sanchez isn't another Cam Newton or we'd really be a freak show.

Coaches coach now......lmao

Could that pass to Stephen Hill have been more beautiful? lmao I love it. It's either the OC or the QB. Period. There is plenty of sucking to go around. Plenty. God forbid the defense holds anybody when it counts. This team is a joke from top to bottom. I'm just glad Sanchez isn't another Cam Newton or we'd really be a freak show.

Cam Newton is a physical freak, and his moping is due to the team not winning. Think he wouldn't win here?

Archived