BNN (Blackout's News Network) "All The News That No One Cares About"

Blackout

http://news.yahoo.com/houston-officer-kills-double-amputee-wheelchair-222540280.html

HOUSTON (AP) — A Houston police officer shot and killed a one-armed, one-legged man in a wheelchair Saturday inside a group home after police say the double amputee threatened the officer and aggressively waved a metal object that turned out to be a pen.

Police spokeswoman Jodi Silva said the man cornered the officer in his wheelchair and was making threats while trying to stab the officer with the pen. At the time, the officer did not know what the metal object was that the man was waving, Silva said.

She said the man came "within inches to a foot" of the officer and did not follow instructions to calm down and remain still.

"Fearing for his partner's safety and his own safety, he discharged his weapon," Silva told The Associated Press.

Police did not immediately release the name of the man who was killed. They had been called to the home after a caretaker there called and reported that the man in wheelchair was causing a disturbance.

The owner of the group home, John Garcia, told the Houston Chronicle that the man had a history of mental illness and had been living at the house about 18 months. Garcia said the man had told him that he lost a leg above the knee and all of one arm when he was hit by a train.

"He sometimes would go off a bit, but you just ignore it," Garcia told the newspaper.

Silva identified the officer as Matthew Jacob Marin, a five-year veteran of the department. He was immediately placed on three-day administrative leave, which is standard in all shootings involving officers.

Houston police records indicate that Marin also fatally shot a suspect in 2009. Investigators at the time said Marin came upon a man stabbing his neighbor to death at an apartment complex and opened fired when the suspect refused to drop the knife.

On Saturday, Marin and his partner arrived at the group home around 2:30 a.m. Silva said there were several people at the house at the time. The caretaker who called police waited on the porch while the officers went inside, she said.

"It was close quarters in the area of the house," Silva said. "The officer was forced into an area where he had no way to get out."

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/boy-discovers-rare-nearly-intact-wooly-mammoth-154512742.html

mammoth22.jpg

Scientists looking at a nearly intact mammoth carcass say the woolly beast may have been killed by an ice-age human.

Alexei Tikhonov of the St. Petersburg Zoology Institute told the Associated Press that the mammoth found in Siberia—one of the best preserved carcasses ever found—could have been "possibly" killed by a human or a rival mammoth.

The remarkable discovery was made last month by an 11-year-old Russian boy. While exploring the area around his home, the youngster uncovered a tusk, bones, fur and flesh of a creature that is estimated to be 30,000 years old, the Daily Mail reports.

The boy, Yevgeny Salinder, according to ABC News, found the remains in permafrost in Taymyr, located in Russia's northernmost region.

The mammoth is informally named Zhenya, after the boy's nickname. Its official name is the Sopkarginsky mammoth, according to ABC News.

The 16-year-old mammoth was 6 feet 6 inches tall and weighed about 1,100 pounds, Tikhonov told AP. While the mammoth is nearly intact, its DNA is damaged and "hardly" suitable for cloning.

Tikhonov told the Daily Mail the last time such a well-preserved mammoth was found in Russia was in 1901.

The carcass will become an exhibit at the Taymyr Regional Studies Museum in Russia.

_________

too bad there was nothing like that outside where I grew up

i wonder if humans could ever evolve to the point to traveling to other planets

i want to be on a planet with 2 suns and 2 moons lol

Not unless the whole wormhole theory is correct; there's no way for our bodies or machines to survive the trip (not to mention the temperature, velocity and debris). That and we'd have to find a planet with an atmosphere and gravity nearly identical to Earth; anything too much less and our muscles would atrophy into pudding within weeks.

Downside is with 4 suns no Monday Night Football!

I would definitely drink less, that's for sure.

Not unless the whole wormhole theory is correct; there's no way for our bodies or machines to survive the trip (not to mention the temperature, velocity and debris). That and we'd have to find a planet with an atmosphere and gravity nearly identical to Earth; anything too much less and our muscles would atrophy into pudding within weeks.

i've pretty much given up hope that there is another planet where humans could walk without space suits unless creating our own building with oxygen being pumped in

i bet mankind moves to Titan when the sun starts expanding in 5 bill years

i've pretty much given up hope that there is another planet where humans could walk without space suits unless creating our own building with oxygen being pumped in

Yeah, I think if we don't douche ourselves into extinction, we'll get into some habitation on the moon, then Mars, then Titan is likely the next logical step within the solar system. Beyond that we're f*cked if we don't figure out realistic interstellar travel. Unless it ends up being like this:

220px-Contact_ver2.jpg

I'm not worried, though. All of the people who call me an ancestor will have died out in 5 billion years. The only people left during that time will be remote descendents of Mark Sanchez and 36 different models.

Oh yeah, and Cromartie's bloodline will probably still be around as well.

Yeah, I think if we don't douche ourselves into extinction, we'll get into some habitation on the moon, then Mars, then Titan is likely the next logical step within the solar system. Beyond that we're f*cked if we don't figure out realistic interstellar travel. Unless it ends up being like this:

220px-Contact_ver2.jpg

I'm not worried, though. All of my ancestors will have died out in 5 billion years. The only people left during that time will be remote descendents of Mark Sanchez and 36 different models.

Oh yeah, and also Cromartie's kids. He's got the deck stacked in his favor already.

yeah first Mars, then probably that moon on Jupiter with all the ice on it (Europa)...then Titan

after that? let's hope we can start fires and grow food on Pluto :D

yeah first Mars, then probably that moon on Jupiter with all the ice on it (Europa)...then Titan

after that? let's hope we can start fires and grow food on Pluto :biggrin:

The Andromeda galaxy is also hurtling toward us at 70 miles per second. We need to GTFO now.

The Andromeda galaxy is also hurtling toward us at 70 miles per second. We need to GTFO now.

i tend to forget that Andromeda is on pace to hit our galaxy by the year 3,000 ish :D

if so then hopefully we land near a sun! i don't see us leaving the solar system by 3,000 without alien help

You had to have looked that up. There's no possible way you actually knew that fact.

first off you and i used to be jetnation homies in the past, you know i am smarter than the average bear and if you deny this you are a liar sir.

second off i've known about Titan since I was a freshmen in high school in 2001....then in 2004 or 05 we sent a craft there and titan has been even more awesome ever since....even did a college report on humans going to Titan in my senior astronomy class.

third off....there is no third off. Go Jets. and please keep them streets of Royal Oak safe :)

first off you and i used to be jetnation homies in the past, you know i am smarter than the average bear and if you deny this you are a liar sir.

second off i've known about Titan since I was a freshmen in high school in 2001....then in 2004 or 05 we sent a craft there and titan has been even more awesome ever since....even did a college report on humans going to Titan in my senior astronomy class.

third off....there is no third off. Go Jets. and please keep them streets of Royal Oak safe :)

:D

No way am I moving to a planet named after those fargin blue Jets uniforms

Extra-terrestrials were looking to make contact, but after watching the JetNation Tailgate videos, they determined that there is no intelligent life on this planet.

I think they were more worried about the possibility of getting their parked spaceship stolen, and taken for a joyride through the local galaxies by some of said video stars.

Archived