Hurricane Sandy

Jetsfan80

I am outside of this evac zone but to say that this sucks is a total understatement:

Mandatory Evac N of Rt 36 by Wed 3p

This is a message from Middletown Office of Emergency Management. The National Weather Service reports that a Nor’easter is expected to impact our area on Wednesday, November 7th. Due to compromised flood control features such as dunes, Middletown Township has issued a mandatory evacuation order from Keansburg to Atlantic Highlands from Route 36 to the bay. We urge that you leave by 3:00 pm on Wednesday at the latest. High winds will likely cause a problem with flying debris and downed wires; as a result power loss could occur again township wide.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am outside of this evac zone but to say that this sucks is a total understatement:

This is a message from Middletown Office of Emergency Management. The National Weather Service reports that a Nor’easter is expected to impact our area on Wednesday, November 7th. Due to compromised flood control features such as dunes, Middletown Township has issued a mandatory evacuation order from Keansburg to Atlantic Highlands from Route 36 to the bay. We urge that you leave by 3:00 pm on Wednesday at the latest. High winds will likely cause a problem with flying debris and downed wires; as a result power loss could occur again township wide.

Yikes! You poor folks are gonna get pounded again!!!

My goodness. Good luck Max.

Aint right...

We are looking for volunteers...to help those that have been impacted by Hurricane Sandy. We aren't looking for money or donations, right now what we want is your time. If you are able to volunteer please shoot an email to us help@JetNation.com.

But one immediate need is for Friday. We are looking to help a family that needs to gut their house in Central NJ.

I will be there, so you will get to spend quality time with me. :)

Please email if you can volunteer some time! Thank You!

thoughts and prayers to everyone without a roof in this snow/nor easter bullsh*t

I barely got home, 6 " of wet snow up here

good luck everyone

I haven't looked outside in awhile but when I drove home from work hours ago, it was snowing hard. Crazy.

Feel bad for y'all.. we have had these for years.. No snow though as a follow up.. what a crap time for a hurricane, just before winter.

If it is any consolation, my cousin runs a huge insurance adjusting/storm clean up business, and they left Orlando five or six days ago

with the whole crew headed your way.. I hope the government lets people in to help.

Feel bad for y'all.. we have had these for years.. No snow though as a follow up.. what a crap time for a hurricane, just before winter.

If it is any consolation, my cousin runs a huge insurance adjusting/storm clean up business, and they left Orlando five or six days ago

with the whole crew headed your way.. I hope the government lets people in to help.

There are so many people here from other states it is unbelievable. The electric companies brought in crews from so many states. The National Guard is here. But there are also police from other states. Mississippi State Troopers are keeping watch over the damaged area in my town. Crazy to see but awesome at the same time.

There are so many people here from other states it is unbelievable. The electric companies brought in crews from so many states. The National Guard is here. But there are also police from other states. Mississippi State Troopers are keeping watch over the damaged area in my town. Crazy to see but awesome at the same time.

my girlfriends grandparents power whent out again in island hows it up where you are?

I went to work one night at the hospital I was currently employed at the time, and they called me an hour ahead of time and asked me

to bring in a couple gallons of water for myself, toothbrush, extra clothes.. They were getting up a team to go in after Andrew..

We watched it roll over Homestead and S. Miami, and got on a bus and the guard housed us for a week (then we took a break and went back) there.. It was insane .. Had a blast.

The south has been hammered with these things for so long, we know what you need..

Chainsaws, Water (to flush with, and drinking water) Generators and canned food or MRIs..head mounted Streamlights are nice too.. especially the waterproof ones.

And a lot of clean up willingness.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but the harassment, badgering, verbal assault and denial of out-of-state, non-union utility workers seems to be doing wonders for the entire NY/NJ area still affected by power loss.

That story seems to have faded or been debunked. But the reality is far worse on Long Island. Out of state and Canadian crews have shown up to help and then been left hanging because of the complete lack of coordination by LIPA. And a lack of something very low tech-poles.

That story seems to have faded or been debunked. But the reality is far worse on Long Island. Out of state and Canadian crews have shown up to help and then been left hanging because of the complete lack of coordination by LIPA. And a lack of something very low tech-poles.

I think Cuomo is done with LIPA, and maybe Con Ed too. In many cases it is just criminal that there is still no power.

my girlfriends grandparents power whent out again in island hows it up where you are?

Lots of people seemed to lose power in NJ as well, most came back today though not all of them. Some are still without power...totally blows.

We were lucky though and didn't lose power this time.

I just received a text message back from Faba. He and his family are doing fine, but are still without power and heat heading into Day 11.

That has to be painful beyond belief. I hope he is alright.

I also hope he is eating enough...we don't want him losing any weight. :)

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but the harassment, badgering, verbal assault and denial of out-of-state, non-union utility workers seems to be doing wonders for the entire NY/NJ area still affected by power loss.

I am not sure that is true. I know it was a rumor, specifically saying workers headed for NJ were turned away a few states before they arrived here. We have Mississippi State Troopers patrolling the darkness, I think the other story is false personally. NY and NJ seem pretty open to getting help right now.

There is a tow truck crew from Detroit on Staten Island and a utility crew from Las Vegas on Long Island right now.

I went to work one night at the hospital I was currently employed at the time, and they called me an hour ahead of time and asked me

to bring in a couple gallons of water for myself, toothbrush, extra clothes.. They were getting up a team to go in after Andrew..

We watched it roll over Homestead and S. Miami, and got on a bus and the guard housed us for a week (then we took a break and went back) there.. It was insane .. Had a blast.

The south has been hammered with these things for so long, we know what you need..

Chainsaws, Water (to flush with, and drinking water) Generators and canned food or MRIs..head mounted Streamlights are nice too.. especially the waterproof ones.

And a lot of clean up willingness.

There is a group here from MIssouri, I saw them today. They are from a church and they have their own trailers and these customized 4 x 4's....they can travel through anything. They basically seem to be people who volunteer to help out others during a disaster. They drive to disasters. WOW. So impressive.

I am back after 11 days of no power- so many lost so much more a tragedy but great to see all the goodwill and good people stepping up all over . Thanks for those that checked up on me

Frank b

Welcome back. I had GOB check up with you. He didn't want to. I made him. It was an order.

hope everyone down there is ok. CT got off easy

does anyone have any knowledge of power inverters or marine batteries with trickle chargers ? specifically can they power a hot water heater for a few hours or a couple small space heaters ?

I have city water and a wood burning stove. I can live without lights, TV, computer, phones etc. but I really really like hot water and heat and a fridge

I'm looking at an alternative to a generator mostly over concerns about theft. a few got stolen and I'm wondering if there is another alternative that can be kept safely in a garage without creating carbon monoxide

ideas ?

does anyone have any knowledge of power inverters or marine batteries with trickle chargers ? specifically can they power a hot water heater for a few hours or a couple small space heaters ?

I have city water and a wood burning stove. I can live without lights, TV, computer, phones etc. but I really really like hot water and heat and a fridge

I'm looking at an alternative to a generator mostly over concerns about theft. a few got stolen and I'm wondering if there is another alternative that can be kept safely in a garage without creating carbon monoxide

ideas ?

Not gonna happen, a typical electric hot water heater has a 4500 watt heating element. Your fridge is somewhere between 600-800 watts. Space heaters are 1500 -3000+ watts, a small 10x12 room would really need at least a 1200 watt heater. You aren't gonna be able to power that much equipment with batteries for any amount of time.

ideas ?

Yes, youve come to to right place. :biggrin:

They have generators that are fuel by natural gas that kick on automatically in a power outage. Theyre pretty big and bolted down to a concrete pad. Sears, Lowes, Home Depot and a number of places sell them. This one in the vid produces 100 amps, which is a typical electrical service for a small house: AC, elec stove, dryer, microwave all should work normally.

I ran gas lines for 50 permanent stand by generators last year, I know all I need to about them and I don't have the 10k it will take once you add electrical work, excavation, permits etc etc etc

but yeah joe, I checked all my appliances and I'll need 8 kw to do what I want and inverters only do like 400 - 1500 watts

looks like a portable noise maker for me. I'll just have to chain that sucker down or something

Yes, youve come to to right place. :biggrin:

They have generators that are fuel by natural gas that kick on automatically in a power outage. Theyre pretty big and bolted down to a concrete pad. Sears, Lowes, Home Depot and a number of places sell them. This one in the vid produces 100 amps, which is a typical electrical service for a small house: AC, elec stove, dryer, microwave all should work normally.

Think this generator is going to be as common as your boiler and hot water heater when new homes are built, prefererably with a propane intake so if your gas line faisl you can still keep power.

Theres are so many sad stories; This is not one. Wonderful to see NAvy See Bees and Marines help people in Breezy today. We can never thank these guys and gals enough. It can be easy to despair and get discouraged. Seeing young people help so many people they don't know without being asked is incredible. Restores your faith in our future. 12810_4874480628956_1102873911_n.jpg

Think this generator is going to be as common as your boiler and hot water heater when new homes are built, prefererably with a propane intake so if your gas line faisl you can still keep power.

Theres are so many sad stories; This is not one. Wonderful to see NAvy See Bees and Marines help people in Breezy today. We can never thank these guys and gals enough. It can be easy to despair and get discouraged. Seeing young people help so many people they don't know without being asked is incredible. Restores your faith in our future. 12810_4874480628956_1102873911_n.jpg

Yep

NY and NJ will get back on its feet.

Archived