Hurricane Sandy

Jetsfan80

We get this sh*t four or five times a year..

I really thought it wasn't going to be as bad as it is.. mostly water and wind, but the boardwalk and other things I have seen must

have been snow ready, but not hurricane ready.. kind of weird.

Sorry to hear about the damages and missing people.. damn.. I have a cousin who runs a storm clean up outfit, they have all

gone your way, stay dry.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sandy saved you, m8!!

jk, sorry you had to head back sooner. Hope you didn't get raped by the airline to change flights!

Got the last Aer Fungus flight out on Sunday night, thankfully we didn't have to pay anything extra to change the flight. Get back to Ireland, and what's it doing? Sunshine. Loads of it.

Hope everyone on the East coast gets through this ok.

I saw that on Twitter. I'm not buying it. Gotta be a photoshop job.

probably..

I have pics somewhere of me standing in the top of a 150 year old oak tree that Jeanne blew down in front of my old house. We had three direct hits from Frances , Charlie, and Jeanne that year.. and it finally got it. The eye of all of those storms went directly over our house. When I was seven or so, Donnah came up the state and was a direct hit.. it can be very *scary* at times during an event like that.. especially when the trees start blowing over.

probably..

I have pics somewhere of me standing in the top of a 150 year old oak tree that Jeanne blew down in front of my old house. We had three direct hits from Frances , Charlie, and Jeanne that year.. and it finally got it. The eye of all of those storms went directly over our house. When I was seven or so, Donnah came up the state and was a direct hit.. it can be very *scary* at times during an event like that.. especially when the trees start blowing over.

Yeah trees suck. Not that I'm even remotely comparing it to a Hurricane, but last summer we lost 1/3 of our 100+ year old oak to severe wind on a 4th of July storm. It was a giant tree with a massive common base trunk, which split into three trunks in a triangular fashion. Someohow when 1 of the trunks came down, it spun in such a fashion, that the tree fell about 30 feet east of where it would have landed had it gone straight down. Missed my elderly neighbor's family room where she was watching TV. Pretty lucky.

From what I'm seeing on TV, no one out that way was lucky. The devastation is tremendous. That neighborhood in Queens looks like Dresden, 1944. NJ is FUBAR from the coast and inland. It's unreal.

Lost power at my house around 8 last night still havent gotten it back. It wouldnt be a big deal except my grandfather lives with us and is on oxygen. Luckily, with the town being closed because of the storm, i was able to set him up in an building all day so that we didnt have to use the emergency tanks.

Stay safe everyone. I'll check in again when i can and see how everyone is.

Luckily White Plains didnt get much...never lost power/cable.

The damage is surreal. I work in the city and I was told to stay home all week. Most of my coworkers are in Jersey...cant imagine. Spoke to my boss for about 3 minutes and he sounded like he was in a state of shock.

Breezy Point got destroyed. Jersey shore is gone....just nuts.

I can't believe the damage, it is just unreal. We got off lucky, I can't believe how many people lost everything they own. It is so sad, yesterday I walked on the beach at the Raritan Bay in my town. And people were just in shock. They were cleaning up but so many houses seem like that are ruined. So sad...

The kids schools are closed until 11/13. I am taking that as a sign that we are going to be without power for a long time. WOW.

Breezy Point looks like Dresden or Hiroshima. My mom's house had nothing left but cinderblocks and ashes. My bungalow and my brother's were not in the firestorm, but are probably total losses.Even where there wasn't a fire houses looked like they were tossed around like children's toys or stomped on by giants.

But miraculously nobody was killed. Several of our friends and neighbors fled through chest-deep storm surge as the homes exploded. Basically the surge salt water hit a transformer , that sparked and lit up a few houses, and then the wind pushed the fire. FDNY couldn't get there for 2 hours due to the surge, and the water pressure was low.Also, Belle Harbor down the road had the same exact thing happen.so there are city blocks there that are as bad. Met one guy I know who lost houses in both neighborhoods.

The vollies fought the fire with the seatwater . It was heroic. How nobody was killed defies logic.

But all things considered we are safe in our Brooklyn house(as is my bro), and we expect to have a place for my mom to set up shop. Power was restored this morning. We are going to be allright. There are reports of people drowing in their basements in Rockaway and Gerrtisen Beach, Brooklyn and children being washed away in Staten Island. Rest in peace.

breezy7.jpg

via-AP-11.jpg

The Atlantic City boardwalk being gone is mind altering. Same for Seaside Heights. But that is nothing compared to what Union Beach is going through right now. I just hope the people that are unaccounted for evacuated and nobody knew.

Wow. What devastating destruction. Unreal. Andrew/Katrina type.

Its always bitter sweet with these things. I get the best surf of the year from them but then they make land fall somewhere and feel bad that I was thanking the storm for the waves they bring as they destroy some portion of the country.

Hope everyone is safe. My family in Long Island didnt get it too bad. Just some trees down and stuff but no carnage like I've been seeing. Thoughts out to you all!

Breezy Point looks like Dresden or Hiroshima. My mom's house had nothing left but cinderblocks and ashes. My bungalow and my brother's were not in the firestorm, but are probably total losses.Even where there wasn't a fire houses looked like they were tossed around like children's toys or stomped on by giants.

But miraculously nobody was killed. Several of our friends and neighbors fled through chest-deep storm surge as the homes exploded. Basically the surge salt water hit a transformer , that sparked and lit up a few houses, and then the wind pushed the fire. FDNY couldn't get there for 2 hours due to the surge, and the water pressure was low.Also, Belle Harbor down the road had the same exact thing happen.so there are city blocks there that are as bad. Met one guy I know who lost houses in both neighborhoods.

The vollies fought the fire with the seatwater . It was heroic. How nobody was killed defies logic.

But all things considered we are safe in our Brooklyn house(as is my bro), and we expect to have a place for my mom to set up shop. Power was restored this morning. We are going to be allright. There are reports of people drowing in their basements in Rockaway and Gerrtisen Beach, Brooklyn and children being washed away in Staten Island. Rest in peace.

breezy7.jpg

via-AP-11.jpg

My Gosh! This is heartbreaking! So glad you and your family are doing okay. I'm at an loss for words when I see the absolute devastation - but I admire your attitude Bugg, My prayers go out to all the victims of that supreme bitch, Sandy. The idea of bodies just floating around makes me cry. Holy Hell.

Someone told me the bay and ocean met in Sea Bright. I haven't seen too many pictures (one in the slideshow above) but that area was so beautiful....just can't think of it not being there anymore. Hopefully they can rebuild.

It really is unreal to see and hear about everything that has happened. It's great to hear every time you get to hear about more people who ended up being ok despite the issues in their area. Never in my life would I have thought I'd feel so lucky to only have my car destroyed and be without power for days. Things certainly get put into perspective.

My coworkers' son, like a jackass, went out with a buddy in kayaks early this morning to take some pictures. He's gone missing. They found the other dude floating a mile out and just called off the search for my coworkers' kid. Horrible. These dicks out there surfing should realize that they're going to create copycats. It doesn't excuse the kid from being dumb, but it sucks nonetheless.

Any updates on this?

There are reports of people drowing in their basements in Rockaway and Gerrtisen Beach, Brooklyn and children being washed away in Staten Island. Rest in peace.

Evidently a Mother and her 2 little boys went to a house during the storm for help and were turned away by the owner.

They found the 2 boys yesterday deceased.

Archived