Davis: 69 snaps vs. Scott: 9 snaps

SenorGato

free agency? I agree there is a problem, i doubt they have the nuts to spend a 1st round pick on it.

If Mcintyre is starting next year I'll be pissed. He's pretty bad. When the season looked completely in the tank I was at least comforted by the thought of getting one of the top 10 type OLB'ers. Now, despair.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is a million dollar question. if Keller finishes the year strong, I think they have to resign him. He's mark's binkie. If he fizzles out... they go in another direction. But TE really is the "swing state" of the Jets offseason, tough to predict. I know that traditionally Sparano loves guys like Fasano not guys like Keller. Whether Keller comes back or not, i predict they will get a #2 guy who blocks.

All right but they'll have no money for anything else. Figure resigning Moore, Howard, Keller and Landry...they're only going to have about $10M in cap space plus filling depth and signing rookies. This is considering cuts to Scott and Pace. I'm sure they'll be able to renegotiate some contracts but it will be tight. What to do with Holmes too.

All right but they'll have no money for anything else.

the cap should go up. it's due for an increase. Holmes is gonna be a Jet for at least 1 more year. as for OLB i don't see this regime drafting a 260 pound DE in rd 1 and standing him up again. They learned their lesson. I could see them going after a true LB like Clay Matthews. But remember, few thought Clay would be what he turned out to be.

the cap should go up. it's due for an increase. Holmes is gonna be a Jet for at least 1 more year. as for OLB i don't see this regime drafting a 260 pound DE in rd 1 and standing him up again. They learned their lesson. I could see them going after a true LB like Clay Matthews. But remember, few thought Clay would be what he turned out to be.

Time to suck for Jarvis Jones

from what they're saying it's not and if so it will only be a couple million. I dunno where they'll find the space unless theyre cutting an renegotiating the sh*t out of the roster.

I dunno where they'll find the space unless theyre cutting an renegotiating the sh*t out of the roster.

cutting Jason Smith saves something ridiculous like 10 mil. the Jets will have enough room to make moves, and as it is year 5 of Sanchez do or die for Tanny, they probably will be active. more active than last offseason... but they can't go bananas and sign Revis too.

cutting Jason Smith saves something ridiculous like 10 mil. the Jets will have enough room to make moves, and as it is year 5 of Sanchez do or die for Tanny, they probably will be active. more active than last offseason... but they can't go bananas and sign Revis too.

They'll be somewhere around over $20M before cuts. I think cutting Smith saves around $12M (according to jason's site).

20 million over if the cap doesn't change or just 20 million over? Connor Barwin is a FA and the Texans might not have room on the roster to bring him back. A few good OL (Long, Andre Smith, LeVitre)...Jared Cook the TE...Can't wait for this abortion of a season to be over.

20 million over if the cap doesn't change or just 20 million over? Connor Barwin is a FA and the Texans might not have room on the roster to bring him back. A few good OL (Long, Andre Smith, LeVitre)...Jared Cook the TE...Can't wait for this abortion of a season to be over.

They'll be roughly 20M over the cap if it doesn't change. They'll have to cut active players on their roster just to get under. Keep in mind all these players will be free agents (not on the payroll that's already 20M over....Slauson, Moore, Howard, Keller, Greene, Cumberland, Schilens, Landry, Bell, B.Thomas, Maybin)

Here are the players who will be on the active roster who would have (estimated) cap savings if "said" players is cut:

Jason Smith 12M

Calvin Pace 8M

Scott 7M

Harris 4M

Pouha 4M

Eric Smith 3M

Holmes 1M

Cro 1M

Tebow 1.5M

(I left out any player under 1M)

again...props to Jason at nyjetscap.com

Is the cap not changing a likely situation?

Daniel Kaplan from the Sports Business Journal released a series of tweets on Monday suggesting that the NFL is telling teams to project flat salary caps for the next three years.

"NFL tells teams to project flat salary caps thru 2015: 2013 ($121 mln); 2014 (122 mln) 2015 (125 mln), and then in 2016 $130 mln.

Benefits will rise sharply though, but media deals will not spike the cap, not even a bit. Offsets from artificially higher caps in 11-13 ...

... and staggering of media deals leads to almost no cap increase projection in 1st year of mega new TV deals.

If NFL projections correct, won't be until the 6th yr of new 10-yr CBA that cap exceeds level in last yr (2009) of capped year in old deal."

The Jets, after cuts, should be around $108M (Cutting Eric Smith, Pace, Scott, Sione and J Smith save over $34M), but they'll have plenty of holes to fill with all the FAs, plus they have to leave cap space for the Rookies in next year's draft.

How the Revis situation is worked out will be important. He takes up a lot of cap space, and they probably want to tear up his deal an redo it just to square him away, and clear some space for next year. He'll get a large signing bonus and a small salary in 2013.

The point is the Jets bringing in any top-tier talent is slim due to cap issues.

Their cap situation improves like night and day in 2014. Next year will be tight anyway you slice it.

They built THIS TEAM to go through this year and next year. That was the plan, and everybody signed off on it......

BD

They'll be roughly 20M over the cap if it doesn't change. They'll have to cut active players on their roster just to get under. Keep in mind all these players will be free agents (not on the payroll that's already 20M over....Slauson, Moore, Howard, Keller, Greene, Cumberland, Schilens, Landry, Bell, B.Thomas, Maybin)

Here are the players who will be on the active roster who would have (estimated) cap savings if "said" players is cut:

Jason Smith 12M

Calvin Pace 8M

Scott 7M

Harris 4M

Pouha 4M

Eric Smith 3M

Holmes 1M

Cro 1M

Tebow 1.5M

(I left out any player under 1M)

again...props to Jason at nyjetscap.com

I can't see cutting Cromartie under any circumstances. Certainly not for an insignificant $1M in cap savings. If they did decide to do anything regarding Cromartie they'd be trading him not cutting him. That would leave millions more in cap space than cutting him plus we'd get a pick. With the season he's having, and with our deep cap woes next season, it might not be the worst move they could make, though I'd be sad to see him go.

Harris also I'd be surprised if they cut just for ego reasons. $9M is an awfully big dead cap hole for a GM to swallow (which is why I don't think Cro is going anywhere either). Plus Rex loves Harris. But he really stinks now. Where the hell did they come off guaranteeing him $30M on a 4 year deal? Like anyone else was going to offer him anything close to that.

I can't see cutting Cromartie under any circumstances. Certainly not for an insignificant $1M in cap savings. If they did decide to do anything regarding Cromartie they'd be trading him not cutting him. That would leave millions more in cap space than cutting him plus we'd get a pick. With the season he's having, and with our deep cap woes next season, it might not be the worst move they could make, though I'd be sad to see him go.

Harris also I'd be surprised if they cut just for ego reasons. $9M is an awfully big dead cap hole for a GM to swallow (which is why I don't think Cro is going anywhere either). Plus Rex loves Harris. But he really stinks now. Where the hell did they come off guaranteeing him $30M on a 4 year deal? Like anyone else was going to offer him anything close to that.

Expect contract modifications with Harris and/or Cro to clear cap space. But they aren't going anywhere until 2014 at the earliest....

BD

Yep. Scott's not going to sit and break his 119 game playing streak unless he can't physically do it. Say what you will about his play, but dude is as tough as they come. He was actually playing some good football up until the toe injury.

If he has some streak going, I'm sure Rex is protecting it. That's my point. He was put in at LB for a couple of plays for that reason.

He played last week on specials, where you run at warp speed. On 7 plays. On a bad toe.

But he can't play the run in the base defense?

Put it together, people.....

BD

I don't think our LBs are so bad. The problem is that they are all making too much money and they aren't really 4 down players. I'd be happy enough to have any or all of them back, but there is a ton of money to be saved there and they'd better save some.

Harris has been......adequate. Has he played like $12M? No.....

Scott has been replaced by the rookie already, so.....

When's the last time Bryan Thomas made a play?

I've heard Calvin Pace's name 2-3 times all year.....

BD

If he has some streak going, I'm sure Rex is protecting it. That's my point. He was put in at LB for a couple of plays for that reason.

He played last week on specials, where you run at warp speed. On 7 plays. On a bad toe.

BD

You going to put together another thread to make this point that nobody really disagreed with?

I think Scott can play the run in the base defense. We were playing the Pats. They don't run much. If he is healthy we probably will need to see him more against the Dolphins.

BD

It's not all one or the other. Scott's play is terribly hampered by the toe; a big toe injury is decimating to a football player. That having been said, Davis' speed is also a major factor in him taking Scott's snaps, but not 90% of them. Davis looked good in spurts, but he was abused on that last drive. We've already made this point ad-naseam. Scott doesn't miss this upcoming game without it being an injury that warrants it.

FYI his straight line speed won't be impacted nearly as much as his acceleration and lateral movement. Ie. why he's in on special teams and not base defense.

It's not all one or the other. Scott's play is terribly hampered by the toe; a big toe injury is decimating to a football player. That having been said, Davis' speed is also a major factor in him taking Scott's snaps, but not 90% of them. Davis looked good in spurts, but he was abused on that last drive. We've already made this point ad-naseam. Scott doesn't miss this upcoming game without it being an injury that warrants it.

FYI his straight line speed won't be impacted nearly as much as his acceleration and lateral movement. Ie. why he's in on special teams and not base defense.

If his toe is that bad, he's not making 7 top speed runs, much less stopping and cutting to tackle on specials.

Since when does the starting ILB play specials anyway?

BD

Scott will start....but you'll see alot of Davis...Davis is 100 times faster ....I like this kid

Scott has already been ruled out for the game. I like Davis too, but he's not taking over from Scott just due to play, Scott is legitimately hampered by this injury.

If his toe is that bad, he's not making 7 top speed runs, much less stopping and cutting to tackle on specials.

Since when does the starting ILB play specials anyway?

BD

Jesus H man. The toe injury has a much greater effect on his ability to accelerate and act in space than on his straight line speed, which is why he was not in on the base defense. The sooner you realize that his toe injury has more to do with his quick burst and explosion and less straight line speed, the sooner you'll understand this. Davis also was on STs and lead directly to McCourty's TD and most likely will again this week. So it looks like yet another starting ILB will be playing specials. That also is not that uncommon, pretty sure Navarro Bowmen did for a few years.

Scott has already been ruled out for the game. I like Davis too, but he's not taking over from Scott just due to play, Scott is legitimately hampered by this injury.

Jesus H man. The toe injury has a much greater effect on his ability to accelerate and act in space than on his straight line speed, which is why he was not in on the base defense. The sooner you realize that his toe injury has more to do with his quick burst and explosion and less straight line speed, the sooner you'll understand this. Davis also was on STs and lead directly to McCourty's TD and most likely will again this week. So it looks like yet another starting ILB will be playing specials. That also is not that uncommon, pretty sure Navarro Bowmen did for a few years.

We're not going to agree on this one.....

BD

Expect contract modifications with Harris and/or Cro to clear cap space. But they aren't going anywhere until 2014 at the earliest....

BD

Harris probably (unfortunately). And if (when) we do then he's locked in here through 2014. So we'll clear $3M of cap space on him for 2013 (from $13M to $9M) but then a previously manageable or cuttable $7M in 2014 will become $10M.

Cap-wise, if their egos allowed it, the truth is they'd be best off cutting him after this season, clearing $4M that way (albeit with $9M in dead space) and then his gargantuan mistake contract will be off the books forever after that. Probably won't happen, though. unless he plays even worse in the 2nd half of this season than he's playing in the 1st half.

The problem ANY contract mods for those two is it would screw up the team's ability to release them outright in 2014

Harris knows the defense inside and out, and with Davis as the replacement for Scott, it's highly unlikely they'd bail on Harris next year. And who knows if Revis will be back next year? Revis' agents pretty much hate the Jets, and Revis is fairly crippled. So Cro is also in a strength position.

The contracts are designed to be player friendly through 2013.

Team-friendly thereafter.

Cutting either next year would cause more damage than good.....

BD

Archived