uh…maybe McElroy can play ? ? ?

kelly

New York Jets third-string quarterback Greg McElroy was selected 208th in the 2011 NFL draft.

The floundering Jets (3-5) may be in need of a quarterback change during this bye week, given how Mark Sanchez has regressed to a career-low 52.9% completion rate while continuing his turnover-prone ways.While most eyes turn to celebrated backup Tim Tebow, replacing Sanchez with one of the few quarterbacks out there who has been even less accurate hardly seems like a solution. But there is another option on the roster—a quarterback whom the Jets drafted for his accurate passing (over 70% completions as a senior) and game managing (career 39-to-10 touchdown-to-interception ratio) in the white-hot college spotlight at Alabama.But many rule out third-stringer Greg McElroy (pictured) because he was so lowly regarded as a prospect, going 208th in the 2011 NFL draft. But since 1995, all 12 similarly lowly drafted (or undrafted) quarterbacks with at least 50 starts have outperformed Sanchez in completion rate and passer rating—many by far.

No one is saying the Jets should expect McElroy to turn into one of the best quarterbacks ever (Tom Brady, drafted 199th overall in 2000) or a borderline Hall of Famer (undrafted Kurt Warner). But nine of the dozen were named to at least one Pro Bowl. Seven—Brady, Warner, Tony Romo, Jeff Garcia, Trent Green, Marc Bulger and Matt Hasselbeck—were awarded multiple times.None stepped right into a starting job as Sanchez did in 2009 as the fifth overall pick. Garcia had to play in Canada for years. Warner famously first toiled in the Arena Football League. Even Brady needed the Jets to knock starter Drew Bledsoe out of action in 2001.So it seems like another thing all these passers have in common is their coaches not knowing what they had until they finally were given a chance to start.

> http://online.wsj.co...SJ_topics_obama

I have been thinking about this for awhile. If we go looking for a QB in the draft the following traits would be important:

- plays in a competitive conference and received good coaching.

- Had at least 3 seasons as a starter to gain experience of different offensive and defensive looks.

- Accurate passer with a completion percentage exceeding 60% and a touchdown to turnover ratio of something like 3:1.

- Mobile enough to buy time in instances where pass protection breaks down

- Height and arm strength meets a minimum standard of a starting level QB.

McElroy has everything on the list except for the last item. I think you need to find out if he has the ability to overcome his physical limitations as Drew Brees has by giving him a chance to play. Otherwise, you go another offseason without knowing what you have in McElroy.

I have been thinking about this for awhile. If we go looking for a QB in the draft the following traits would be important:

- plays in a competitive conference and received good coaching.

- Had at least 3 seasons as a starter to gain experience of different offensive and defensive looks.

- Accurate passer with a completion percentage exceeding 60% and a touchdown to turnover ratio of something like 3:1.

- Mobile enough to buy time in instances where pass protection breaks down

- Height and arm strength meets a minimum standard of a starting level QB.

McElroy has everything on the list except for the last item. I think you need to find out if he has the ability to overcome his physical limitations as Drew Brees has by giving him a chance to play. Otherwise, you go another offseason without knowing what you have in McElroy.

agreed :winking0001:

p.s.

....NO more USC QB's ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :frown:

- plays in a competitive conference and received good coaching. SEC Urban Meyer, 2 Natl Championships

- Had at least 3 seasons as a starter to gain experience of different offensive and defensive looks. 07,08,09

- Accurate passer with a completion percentage exceeding 60% and a touchdown to turnover ratio of something like 3:1. 66.9, 64.4, 70.1

- Mobile enough to buy time in instances where pass protection breaks down Tim Tebow

- Height and arm strength meets a minimum standard of a starting level QB. see above

Best idea I've seen...if Rex makes this move...would actually respect that...

The Jets dont have the Brains to start McElroy. They will do exactly what the general consensus of the media says they should do and what Woody the a$$hole wants them to do and thats start Tim Tebow so they can once again turn the Jets into a 3 ring circus. I do not expect the Jets to bother to see exactly what they have in McElroy just like they did with Ratliff who has now fallen into a black hole. So once again we will never know.

Meh, I've got a better arm than McElroy.

The real intrigue in this article is, Kurt Warner's a "borderline" HOF'er?

Pretty sure he's in...maybe not first ballot but 2 different teams to the SB, the Rams and Cardinals of all teams, seems like a good resume coupled with an MVP season.

The Jets dont have the Brains to start McElroy. They will do exactly what the general consensus of the media says they should do and what Woody the a$$hole wants them to do and thats start Tim Tebow so they can once again turn the Jets into a 3 ring circus. I do not expect the Jets to bother to see exactly what they have in McElroy just like they did with Ratliff who has now fallen into a black hole. So once again we will never know.

A beginning to suspect a lot about our present owner...wish the Jets were owned by the general public like the Packers...instead of waiting for our "rich kid" owner to get bored of football...

Pretty sure he's in...maybe not first ballot but 2 different teams to the SB, the Rams and Cardinals of all teams, seems like a good resume coupled with an MVP season.

Mcelroy does have the brains and his arm is not that much worse than nacho's, his accuracy is 2x imo

I'd say he's in as well...but barely...huge doughnut hole in the middle of his career could keep him out...Ken Stabler...now that dude needs to make it.

Mcelroy does have the brains and his arm is not that much worse than nacho's, his accuracy is 2x imo

He's not handing off to Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson, with all world blocking and Julio Jones on the outside supported by the best defense in the land. He's a game manager, at best. He's not the answer to any teams problem at QB. Mark's arm is much better, from what I remember in college of McElroy.

That said, I'd be very happy if he took the field instead of Mark Sanchez vs. Seattle. At the very least, it would make the game intriguing, which its far from at this point.

I'd say he's in as well...but barely...huge doughnut hole in the middle of his career could keep him out...Ken Stabler...now that dude needs to make it.

I think his rag to riches story with his presence in the media helps and he gets in, no doubt.

He's not handing off to Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson, with all world blocking and Julio Jones on the outside supported by the best defense in the land. He's a game manager, at best. He's not the answer to any teams problem at QB. Mark's arm is much better, from what I remember in college of McElroy.

That said, I'd be very happy if he took the field instead of Mark Sanchez vs. Seattle. At the very least, it would make the game intriguing, which its far from at this point.

I think his rag to riches story with his presence in the media helps and he gets in, no doubt.

The problem as I see it...Mark has sucked donkey balls...accountability demands the bench which we haven't see in his four years here...so we get Tebow as a decoy but can't trust him or don't want to totally change the team's offense to ensure Mark sits...then they have to turn to McElroy...if only to allow Mark a chance to see the game from the sidelines...in a way its in Mark's best interest as well...and if Rex can't see that...then this whole four-year tour with Rex at the helm as accomplished diddly squat...

The problem as I see it...Mark has sucked donkey balls...accountability demands the bench which we haven't see in his four years here...so we get Tebow as a decoy but can't trust him or don't want to totally change the team's offense to ensure Mark sits...then they have to turn to McElroy...if only to allow Mark a chance to see the game from the sidelines...in a way its in Mark's best interest as well...and if Rex can't see that...then this whole four-year tour with Rex at the helm as accomplished diddly squat...

I cant say I disagree and ultimately, McElroy will suck too.

This sucks. I <3 Rex but always knew his allegiance to Mark would be his downfall and here we are. Really sucks. Like seriously. This is the beginning of the end, back to the dregs of the NFL. The Dolphags have brighter future than the Jets. We're totally ****ed because you know damn well that there isnt a coach that can save this team.

ih8football

I think History has proven that game managers have won just as many SB's with fantastic teams around them as teams who have won SB's with Great QB's and weaknesses on the team never to win one again. Troy Aikman is a great example of a game manager that had a team so loaded with talent and probably the greatest offensive line ever. Troy never lit it up, but he managed well and thats all he needed to do. Terry Bradshaw had some horrible years but the team around him was so superior to everyone else and Terry was so big time in the playoffs they won 4 SB's. Terry however is certainly not close to the talent of a Montana or a Brady or an Elway.

The only really great QB's who won Multiple SB's we're Joe Monatana, Tom Brady, and John Elway and to be honest those guys won with complete teams as well, as great as Elway was he never won the big one until his team was complete with great defense and a loaded offense. I guess what Im trying to say is if you have a talented team all the way around you can win a SB or mutiple SB's with game managers but its very difficult (even if your a great QB) to win a SB with a great QB and holes. Sure you can win 11-13 ball games and impress the fans with superior numbers during the regular season with a great QB but it can catch up to you in the playoffs and it ALWAYS does.

Im done sticking up for Sanchez I think the kid is ruined for a multitude of reasons but I do want to see McElroy play rather than him rot in the back ground. I think he can builf up some strength and probably has so he could be throwing the ball much better at this stage. Give him a shot its stupid to just push him aside like we did with Ratliff. We can argue this point till we're blue in the face but nothing says stupid more than not giving a young player a chance when the guy in front of him is a broken down mess.

Best idea I've seen...if Rex makes this move...would actually respect that...

Absolutely - wouldn't happen till he thinks we're def out of the play-off picture - and he's probably going to be delusional about that too

I think History has proven that game managers have won just as many SB's with fantastic teams around them as teams who have won SB's with Great QB's and weaknesses on the team never to win one again. Troy Aikman is a great example of a game manager that had a team so loaded with talent and probably the greatest offensive line ever. Troy never lit it up, but he managed well and thats all he needed to do. Terry Bradshaw had some horrible years but the team around him was so superior to everyone else and Terry was so big time in the playoffs they won 4 SB's. Terry however is certainly not close to the talent of a Montana or a Brady or an Elway.

The only really great QB's who won Multiple SB's we're Joe Monatana, Tom Brady, and John Elway and to be honest those guys won with complete teams as well, as great as Elway was he never won the big one until his team was complete with great defense and a loaded offense. I guess what Im trying to say is if you have a talented team all the way around you can win a SB or mutiple SB's with game managers but its very difficult (even if your a great QB) to win a SB with a great QB and holes. Sure you can win 11-13 ball games and impress the fans with superior numbers during the regular season with a great QB but it can catch up to you in the playoffs and it ALWAYS does.

Im done sticking up for Sanchez I think the kid is ruined for a multitude of reasons but I do want to see McElroy play rather than him rot in the back ground. I think he can builf up some strength and probably has so he could be throwing the ball much better at this stage. Give him a shot its stupid to just push him aside like we did with Ratliff. We can argue this point till we're blue in the face but nothing says stupid more than not giving a young player a chance when the guy in front of him is a broken down mess.

Meh, Aikman never put up gaudy numbers but the dude was super talented and as accurate of a passer I can remember and one of the deadliest postseason QB's of all time. He managed games during the regular season but straight up diced teams up in the postseason.

Since the 80's, there's been maybe 3 QB's who were game managers that won the SB. The rest, could flat out take over ball games and often times had to in the postseason. Its necessary now. Bottom line. Not saying they dont need great teams around, thats a given, but game managers dont win SB's anymore.

As Jetsouth pointed out, everything that makes McElroy a compelling choice is true of Tebow, too. I think the only thing we know about our three QB's is that Sanchez is not the answer. It is time to start investing our efforts in other options.

Forgot his college TD to Int ration was

32 to 6 with 13 sacks

30 to 4 with 15

21 to 5 with 25 his last college year...

none of his rushing TDs are included, I am telling you someone is going to figure out how to

utilize Tim Tebow and it is going to be fun to watch..or maybe not.. LOL.

His NFL rating has been averaged at 75.1 for his two seasons at the Broncos and 90.0 for his two playoff games.

Forgot his college TD to Int ration was

32 to 6 with 13 sacks

30 to 4 with 15

21 to 5 with 25 his last college year...

none of his rushing TDs are included, I am telling you someone is going to figure out how to

utilize Tim Tebow and it is going to be fun to watch..or maybe not.. LOL.

Most efficient passer in SEC history. Put him in position to make plays and he'll make plays. Plus, he can make something out of nothing where Sanchez would force an issue and turn it over. His game isnt pretty but I'm done with Sanchez's level of ugly.

Most efficient passer in SEC history. Put him in position to make plays and he'll make plays. Plus, he can make something out of nothing where Sanchez would force an issue and turn it over. His game isnt pretty but I'm done with Sanchez's level of ugly.

I think u have to make a change be it GMAC or Tebow, sanchez is kaput in NY, in fact make sanchez the 3rd qb

Sanchez makes the game unwatchable...between his maddening inconsistent throws to his non-verbal woe is me attitude...almost ready to stop watching...this past Sunday went to RZC in the third quarter...at some point I may just watch them from there...

I think u have to make a change be it GMAC or Tebow, sanchez is kaput in NY, in fact make sanchez the 3rd qb

Agreed brah, good luck this weekend. At least you got something to cheer for still in the Football world.

Sanchez makes the game unwatchable...between his maddening inconsistent throws to his non-verbal woe is me attitude...almost ready to stop watching...this past Sunday went to RZC in the third quarter...at some point I may just watch them from there...

Surfing is my biggest passion in this world. Nothing brings me more joy, besides my family. Every Sunday there are waves, I adjust my schedule accordingly and get back just in time to watch the game, even when the waves are great, I skip that 3-4 hours for the Jets. Did it this Sunday when the waves were as good as they get in Florida. The second Fasano scored, I turned it off and went out for another session. No way I was going to ruin my Sunday and not maximize my time in the water watching that turd take the field again.

Mcelroy is more Ken Dorsey than Jeff Garcia. But I'd give him the final 3 games or whatever to see if shows anything

i think if we reach the point this season that we're " out of the playoff race " ;

rex will put McElroy in & see what he can do...

cheers ~ ~

:cheer:

The Jets dont have the Brains to start McElroy. They will do exactly what the general consensus of the media says they should do and what Woody the a&#036;&#036;hole wants them to do and thats start Tim Tebow

i am responding to all the Pro- McElroy posters in this thread. not just you.

but here's the news Greg McElroy sucks. He has no arm strength and is lucky to be holding a clipboard right now.

but here's the news Greg McElroy sucks. He has no arm strength and is lucky to be holding a clipboard right now.

Simple solution, trade T Tebow in the offseason for whatever you can get for him, sign M Moore with the cap space Tebow was going to occupy, let Sanchez "Think" he is in a QB competition in training camp, start Moore see what he has, if it crashes real bad, dump Moore, and obviously let Sanchez go, and rebuild the entire O, also make sure you draft a QB this year in round 3-5, and see where you are at that point.

yet he was only QB in pre-season that could generate a TD hmmmmmmmmmmm

His arm is much worse and that's the biggest thing holding him back.

He worked very hard in the off season to strenghten his arm. It showed very well in preseason. Go back and review the film. You are wrong in my opinion.

By the way they said the exact same things about Montana and Brady when they came out of college. Ya think that may have turned out OK?

Archived