VANISHING SWAGGER ~ ~ ~

kelly

The swagger’s gone, replaced by little more than false bravado. ¶ When the Jets trash talk now, it no longer elicits a positive reaction on the field. The words ring hollow, with little in terms of action backing them up. ¶ From the moment Rex Ryan stepped to the podium after being announced as the new head coach nearly four years ago, it’s been all about the swag. ¶ Now, his team is in a tailspin heading into a midseason bye week, Ryan faces the most important moment of his career. Because if he can’t find a way to restore that self confidence his players once walked and talked with right now, he may never be able to regain control. ¶ “I think as a football team we’re frustrated,” said Ryan on a conference call Monday. “We thought we were getting closer and closer. We thought we were getting better as a football team and then we had a big step back (Sunday).”

“I think we have enough talent. It’s just a matter, quite honestly, of trying to carry over what we’ve done on the practice field over on the game field. We’ve had some tremendous practices where I’m extremely confident and it just never carried over. I don’t understand why. Those are things we’re searching for.”

The past seven days spoke volumes about where the Jets are right now, engaging in a week’s worth of back-and-forth with the Miami Dolphins, only to have the Fish show up at MetLife Stadium and embarrass them, 30-9.Instead of rising to the occasion, they crumbled amid a dizzying array of botched assignments, mental gaffes and physical miscues.And all this coming a week after Ryan said they were going to beat New England, before the Jets’ squander a lead late in the fourth quarter before losing in overtime.What Ryan did admit was that they have to find more, and more creative ways to use Tim Tebow, while issuing a luke-warm endorsement of quarterback Mark Sanchez, whose overall numbers remain some of the least impressive among the league’s starters.“If it was one guy, that’s easy to say we’d make that change,” added Ryan. “But I think Mark gives us the best chance to win. That’s how I feel. Can Tim be successful? Absolutely, and we need to look at that as well. In my opinion, Mark as the starting quarterback gives my team the best chance to win.”

The reality, though, is that there aren’t that many lineup moves Ryan can make. His hands are tied at most positions. But with Tebow, he possesses a potential weapon that could put a charge into a team desperately seeking a new energy.“I think we’ll take a hard look at how we’re using (Tebow),” he noted, “what we’re asking him to do, is there other things we can do with him. I think you’re absolutely right. We will definitely look at that.”Over the next 12 days, Ryan must find a way to rehabilitate his team’s psyche. The body language as they made their way from the field to the locker room late Sunday afternoon was eye-opening.When Ryan was introduced on that January afternoon in 2009, he spoke of winning the Super Bowl, meeting the president sometime soon, and how his father, Buddy, was considered the greatest defensive coordinator ever, and that he was even better than him.He has yet to back up any of those proclamations, and there’s a chance his words are now losing the impact they once had with his players.

Ryan now faces a critical crossroads in this, his fourth season on the job. And if he’s unable to get his team right, restoring everyone’s swagger by the time they take the field in Seattle on Nov. 11, things could spiral out of control over the next two months.

> http://www.mycentral...?nclick_check=1

Kelly = Just Another T0MGayne Alias

Possible but unlikely. I remember a JI thread that showed "Kelly" had posts on dozens of sports sites and they were all of the copy/paste article variety.

I just don't see the motivation.. what's the end game Kelly?

Possible but unlikely. I remember a JI thread that showed "Kelly" had posts on dozens of sports sites and they were all of the copy/paste article variety.

I just don't see the motivation.. what's the end game Kelly?

Like all things T0MGayne, other peoples misery seems to be the prime directive

Like all things T0MGayne, other peoples misery seems to be the prime directive

Yeah that's the thing though.. I could see posting controversial articles and trolling but that's not what's going on. Kel-he seems content to post everyday mundane stuff and blend into the woodwork. Makes no sense.

Time for an intervention.

Yeah that's the thing though.. I could see posting controversial articles and trolling but that's not what's going on. Kel-he seems content to post everyday mundane stuff and blend into the woodwork. Makes no sense.

Time for an intervention.

Yes, pretending to be a hot blond from sweden is def about spreading positive vibes... It's the attempted long con, but was discovered

week old articles from less than reputable publications?

your aggresive defense of Kelly is noted for the record.

Stick fork in Rex's Jets, because they are officially done

The NFL season is long and winding, filled with peaks and valleys, twists and turns. A basic rule of thumb is to exercise extreme caution before eliminating teams from the playoff chase in October.The imminent exception, however, pertains to the Jets. Feel free to count out the Jets. They are cooked, filleted, fried, fini.

They face an eight-game schedule to nowhere.

Under normal circumstances, with normal teams, dismissing a 3-5 team would be borderline slanderous. Too much can happen across the final eight games. Opponents can fall flat with injuries or their own slumps. A close win here and a close win there and suddenly confidence collides with momentum to produce an unlikely postseason run.

Not the Jets.

Not these Jets.

They are finished for the same reason they were tabbed by many preseason prognosticators as a six-win team. The Jets have a vast talent vacuum. Their quarterback isn't good enough. Their offensive line isn't good enough. Their defense isn't good enough. And their special teams apparently aren't good enough.Their best chance was to execute a couple unexpected wins in the first half. Maybe knock off one or two of the bigs — Pittsburgh or San Francisco or Houston or New England — and sweep the 50-50 games (read: Miami). But the Jets didn't just lose to Miami on Sunday. They were humiliated by Miami.And now they have an eight-game limp to another offseason laden with questions.

The talk, of course, is to replace Mark Sanchez with Tim Tebow at quarterback.

Sanchez hasn't done enough to keep the talk to a murmur. He has made too many crushing mistakes splashed around moments of solid play.But Sanchez is only one piece of the ill-fitted puzzle. Receivers regularly drop passes or run inexact routes. The offensive line often forces Sanchez to release the ball early or take a sack. Rex Ryan's ground-and-pound philosophy requires a consistent rushing game and dominant defense. He has neither.Tebow is, of course, the popular choice. He continually pulled rabbits out of his hat in leading Denver to the playoffs last season. He ascended from one of the most popular players in sports to full savior status. But it's worth noting that Denver finished 31st in passing and first in rushing.Tebow formed a niche by helping Denver hang around before making a big play or three in the final minutes.How Tebow could turn these Jets into a playoff contender is beyond me. The Jets are 16th in rushing average, 26th in passing and 29th in total defense. They do nothing particularly well.

That's why the Jets are cooked.

Neither Sanchez nor Tebow is capable of leading the Jets to a 6-2 record for the likely playoff-required nine wins. Five of those games are on the road, and yet the Jets' schedule, by technical standards, is relatively easy. But their opponents are NFL teams and that's good enough on most days against the Jets.They can go ahead and hand Tebow the ball now. But even the great Tebow can't work miracles unless they hand him a top-notch offensive line and play-making receivers and a defense that makes big stops down the stretch.

The Jets had a chance to make things interesting this season. But they needed a better start.

Instead, the Jets have proven what most folks suspected from the start. They are lacking in talent.

They are cooked.

kgleason@th-record.com;

Twitter: @th_KevinGleason

> http://www.recordonl...310306/-1/rss02

Can we make it a rule that whenever this dude posts, he at least has to add a NEW picture of the fake blonde chick he's posing as? Otherwise, it's boring and creepy.

does it HAVE to be a rule ? ? :confused0082: ....

562220_3313580652348_201958947_n.jpg

:love0040:

Archived