Official 2012-2013 New York Knicks Thread

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a good ugly win.  Ones you have to grind out but the reason it was close was because of iso ball.  Melo and JR were gunning.  Just throwing up some horrible shots with guys on their hips when they had players spotting up on the perimeter.  Terrible possessions.  Missed every dump off opportunities like the only assist Melo had to Martin that sealed the game.  That was there all day long.  JR had zero assists.  You literally have to try and not have an assist if you handle the ball that much.

They played good D, great in the 4th but Boston is limited.  They are going to have a tough time winning games against deeper teams if JR and Melo literally dont even attempt to get other players involved.

Its not even about getting others involved...as Melo and JR are the scorers....but just so many bad shots yesterday and no movement on offense.

Its not even about getting others involved...as Melo and JR are the scorers....but just so many bad shots yesterday and no movement on offense.

Which means getting others involved.  They werent passing, every one was standing around watching.  1 assist between 2 people who dominate the ball.  You got to let others get into the flow of the game and ultimately the series.

Which means getting others involved.  They werent passing, every one was standing around watching.  1 assist between 2 people who dominate the ball.  You got to let others get into the flow of the game and ultimately the series.

I believe Prigs will help that.

Plus, it was startling that the Knicks had no cutters.  Some of the problems with the lack of passing by Melo and JR on some of the possessions was the Celtics doing a good job of crowding the passing lanes.  Felton even had a hard time passing.

Matt is nothing if not consistent.

I think the lack of Prigs and the way that Boston plays against the M both played a role.  They don't double but they shade to whatever side Melo's on and try to bait him into contested jumpers.  They doubled him late and he found K-mart for the layup.  

I believe Prigs will help that.

Plus, it was startling that the Knicks had no cutters.  Some of the problems with the lack of passing by Melo and JR on some of the possessions was the Celtics doing a good job of crowding the passing lanes.  Felton even had a hard time passing.

Meh, its all an effect of knowing damn well, you're not touching the ball the second Melo or JR gets it.  There was movement when Felton had the ball in his hands. Picks, off ball screens, movement.  The second the ball got into Melo's or JR's hand, the rest of the court might as well have been a wax museum.

I think you'd have seen more cutters, more movement if those 2 actually knew had to pass. 

Matt is nothing if not consistent.

I think the lack of Prigs and the way that Boston plays against the M both played a role.  They don't double but they shade to whatever side Melo's on and try to bait him into contested jumpers.  They doubled him late and he found K-mart for the layup.  

I think that was the strategy with Melo and JR, if no double team, then shoot.  Its a terrible strategy though because it leads to wasted possessions.  There were plenty of time a spot up shooter was wide open while one of those dudes were forcing up something horrible. 

you should probably just stop posting about the NBA

lol

Source: J.R. Smith wins Sixth Man

NEW YORK -- Knicks guard J.R. Smith has won the NBA's Sixth Man Award, a league source confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com's Ian Begley on Monday.

The Knicks have called an afternoon news conference at which Smith will be given the award, the source said. The news was previously reported by The Associated Press.

The eighth-year guard has averaged 18.1 points in 80 games, all off the bench. He had 29 games in which he scored 20 points as a reserve, tying him with the Clippers' Jamal Crawford for the NBA lead.

Smith helped the Knicks win the Atlantic Division title for the first time since 1994. New York is the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference and leads theBoston Celtics 1-0 in their first-round playoff series.

It's the second individual award in two years for the Knicks, following Tyson Chandler's Defensive Player of the Year honor last season.

Smith is the third player in Knicks history to win the NBA's Sixth Man Award, joining John Starks (1996-97) and Anthony Mason (1994-95).

Despite not making a start, Smith was one of the Knicks' most important players. He played more than 40 minutes seven times and was often their only scoring threat behind Carmelo Anthony.

For most of the season, it seemed like Smith would take second place to Crawford.

He struggled for much of January, shooting 36 percent from the floor in that month, including just 25 percent from beyond the arc.

But during the Knicks' 13-game winning streak late in the regular season, the New Jersey native was a model of consistency. He scored 23.2 points per game on 49 percent shooting; prior to the winning streak, Smith averaged 16.7 points per game on 40 percent shooting.

Smith doubled the percentage of shots he took in the restricted area during the winning streak (15.6 percent before March 18; 33 percent in the 13 games following it).

He had three straight 30-point games March 26-29, the first time that was done by a reserve since Milwaukee's Ricky Pierce in 1990.

Smith ended the season leading all bench players in points per game (18.1). Crawford was second with 16.5 points per game. Golden State's Jarrett Jack (12.9 ppg) was another leading candidate for the honor.

Smith signed a two-year contract worth $2.8 million in the offsesaon. The second year has a player option and Smith is expected to decline it and test free agency.

The Knicks will have Smith's Early Bird Rights, meaning they can exceed the salary cap to re-sign the shooting guard if he decides to decline the 2013-14 option.

The Early Bird Rights allow the Knicks to pay Smith up to 175 percent of this season's salary, which is $2.8 million. That means the Knicks could offer him a contract for next season at about $5 million, and the agreement could be up to four years with standard raises.

Don't worry, Larz. JR did that and ended up stealing the ball from Pierce because of it, LOL.

Well deserved award. Marc Stein & others had stated some idiotic reasons for voting elsewhere.

Don't worry, Larz. JR did that and ended up stealing the ball from Pierce because of it, LOL.

Well deserved award. Marc Stein & others had stated some idiotic reasons for voting elsewhere.

that was great, and then the monster jam after not getting a call.....on second thought, keep pissing him off refs !!!  lol

So basically if you sit out the first minute of the game, you're eligible for the 6th man of the year? That award has become kind of a joke. Smith logged more total minutes than anyone on the team this season.

I agree.  The award is kind of stupid because guys like Manu or J.R. who play starter minutes always win it.

Still, someone had to win it and I'm glad it was Earl.

So basically if you sit out the first minute of the game, you're eligible for the 6th man of the year? That award has become kind of a joke. Smith logged more total minutes than anyone on the team this season.

Because of injuries....but in general, thats pretty common territory with this award.  Has been for about 20 years.

I shall be in Boston this weekend for either the Friday game, but i'd rather be at the Sunday game to hopefully watch them sweep. Nothing would please me more than sweeping them in their own house.  Even though I respect their games, I cannot stand KG or Pierce, haven't for a long time.  Pierce sinking that game-winning three and skipping up and down center court at MSG is still burned into my mind. 

Other than that, great game...er, great second half again.  They've allowed boston to shoot 55%+ the first two combined halves, only to then turn around and allow a total of 48 points in both second halves combined...they really locked it down on the defensive end.  Martin is playing outside his mind right now and it's pretty huge as Chandler still doesn't have his timing or legs underneath him.  I know it wasn't for a long period of time, but missing 16 of the last 20 games will do that to ya.  I have a feeling you'll see him making a much bigger impact as the playoffs progress, but if Kenyon continues to play how he's playing, he may not be logging more than 25 minutes.  

The ball movement picked up with Prigs in the starting lineup; I was extremely surprised to see Boston end up with only 11 turnovers, figured with Prigs in there they would have harassed bradley and co to the tune of close to 20 again. 

Loved seeing them run the offense through felton a lot as Boston was paying so much attention to Melo. Ray quietly had a very solid game. 

We've been saying it her for a year and a half, but Woody is really phenomenal at drawing up pays out of timeouts, I'm glad he's finally getting some recognition for  it. *Thanks Doc and Steve Kerr.  I think Woody learned a lot from his days in Atlanta, but he still has a bad stigma for the whole Iso Joe and being just a defensive minded coach, but some of his sets are pretty genius. Especially that one that ran in the fourth quarter at the top of the key with the double screen and handoff with JR, Melo and Felton.  

Very solid, hopefully they can continue to attack KG and Green to get them in foul trouble again, but I have a feeling we're going to see them try to do what the did today against us and that's run an offense through KG.  If we win on friday, I think they sweep.  

What a depressing night for Matt.

Not only do Knicks go up 2-0, but his beloved Nuggets give up 131 points at home to lose.

Nuggets dont play defense, cant shoot FTs, and are awful on the road. But besides that Matt thinks theyre a great team (mainly because its Melo's former team).

If the Nuggets lose in the first round again (third time without Melo), would Karl still blame Melo for it?

well that was a nice turn around !  the ball movement got better, and the defense in the 2nd half was really nice. 

early in the game pierce was getting mismatches from the switch on the high pick and roll, but the help defense really prevented him from doing any damage

the celtics are just too slow to get in the lane.

pierce will shoot 28 free throws friday night, but I think the knicks are still in it late because defense travels well

Second half was fun to watch. I have no problem with the Knicks when they're moving the ball and are active on defense(Kenyon, who's become my favorite player).

Melo actually passed last night and still got his iso plays. The Celtics looks like they're playing with lead in their sneakers.

Man, I want to be encouraged by the blowout but the Celtics suck.  Like really really bad suck.  They've just got nothing.  I mean, the Knicks are playing good D but the Celts are just a very very limited team.

I was watching the first half going....here you go, repeat of Saturday and they're going to lose because of it.  But then they came out and played a hell of a 3rd quarter. Everything you'd want to see.  Ball movement, on and off ball screens, transition basketball and great D.  That's how you win games and have a deep run in the playoffs. 

Hopefully they can gain some momentum off that 2nd half. 

What a depressing night for Matt.

Not only do Knicks go up 2-0, but his beloved Nuggets give up 131 points at home to lose.

Nuggets dont play defense, cant shoot FTs, and are awful on the road. But besides that Matt thinks theyre a great team (mainly because its Melo's former team).

If the Nuggets lose in the first round again (third time without Melo), would Karl still blame Melo for it?

Lulz.  

I dont have these answers but I can say, I've got an enormous man crush on Steph Curry.  That dude is phenomenal and really fun to watch. 

Lulz.  

I dont have these answers but I can say, I've got an enormous man crush on Steph Curry.  That dude is phenomenal and really fun to watch. 

+1.  Love Curry.  

Chandler looked much better if still pretty rusty and Kenyon was great.  His hops are unreal for a 35 year old.

Curry is the truth. His ankle woes are troubling though for such a young player. I thought the Warriors were a bad matchup for Nuggets because of the star disparity. Stars win in the NBA more than any other sport.

BTW, excluding 2009 conference finals appearance with Melo & Billups, if Nuggets lose this series George Karl would be 1-11 in 1st round since 1998.

the four things JR has going for him are he walked away and that dude swiped first.  and flopped.  and wanted to fight

amazing that didn't lead to a celtics run.  they are toast.  if the moment of silence and getting elbowed in the face can't stir you up, you are done

so who do they get next ?  winner of which series ?

Exactly, Larz.  It looked like a flop because Terry jumped off the floor right after.  They got free 4 points out of it and still got blown out. Celtics are toast.

Knicks are guaranteed to get the winner of the Pacers-Hawks series.

And, another awful night for Matt.  Knicks up 3-0 and his beloved Nuggets are now down 2-1 as a 3 seed with home court advantage.

Crazy to think that Matt's favorite coach, George Karl is 2-10 in his last 12 first round matchups going into this posteason, 5 of those 1st round losses coming without Melo.  He loses this one and it will be 2-11.

Of course, it's all Melo's fault.

Exactly, Larz.  It looked like a flop because Terry jumped off the floor right after.  They got free 4 points out of it and still got blown out. Celtics are toast.

Knicks are guaranteed to get the winner of the Pacers-Hawks series.

And, another awful night for Matt.  Knicks up 3-0 and his beloved Nuggets are now down 2-1 as a 3 seed with home court advantage.

Crazy to think that Matt's favorite coach, George Karl is 2-10 in his last 12 first round matchups going into this posteason, 5 of those 1st round losses coming without Melo.  He loses this one and it will be 2-11.

Of course, it's all Melo's fault.

yeah where is matt today ?  and tom ?

so the run to glory coud be celtics/pacers/heat.   wow.  that would be epic.

it's sad/exciting every playoff win is "the first time in 12 years since....."

winning in boston is always sweet, no matter how old and slow they are

It is sad, Larz, but that's because this is the first time the Knicks have had a HOF superstar in his prime since Ewing.  Melo changes everything.

And T0m has his own problems.  It's like a cosmic cruel joke.  He finally gets Brooks Shields healthy and productive for a full season, and JJ and DWill are the ones broken down.

Also, I love this quote:

I'm definitely surprised. I thought we were a team that matched up well with the Knicks."

--Paul Pierce

Archived