Official 2012-2013 New York Knicks Thread

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of those shots were just unreal. Guy is so clutch. How are you even supposed to guard that turnaround he hit from the corner?

Woodson gets credit for calling scoring plays after time out (which he deserves) but plays like that turnaround is all Melo and his incredible ability.

Superstars matter.

Deron Williams is an excellent PG and I wish Knicks had a PG like that, but he is not a superstar.

Thankfully Dolan and Grunwald told D'Antoni to pound sand when he asked them to trade Melo for Deron last year so he could have a veteran PG run "his system."

Woodson gets credit for calling scoring plays after time out (which he deserves) but plays like that turnaround is all Melo and his incredible ability.

Superstars matter.

It really seems like he pulled their road-losses card too right? Like he completely laid that challenge down for them to attack. We're 4-1 in our last 5 road games after that late Nov skid. What a coach.

It really seems like he pulled their road-losses card too right? Like he completely laid that challenge down for them to attack. We're 4-1 in our last 5 road games after that late Nov skid. What a coach.

Absolutely. And the best thing about Woodson is that this isnt out of the blue. He was 18-6 last year with a team that had been 18-24 before him.

Absolutely. And the best thing about Woodson is that this isnt out of the blue. He was 18-6 last year with a team that had been 18-24 before him.

It's just all so new. All of these games that have come down to the wire; the Charlotte game, the Phoenix and Denver games, even tonight...anyone who's been watching Knick ball over the last decade knows that these are exactly the games that the Knicks never could find a way to win. Like ever. I don't know who's to credit the most for it...Melo, Kidd, Woodson, whoever, it's just ****ing awesome. I really thought we might not recover from that awful skid a few weeks back, but here they are, 7-1 since the first Nets game with a real opportunity to shore up a serious playoff run after the break. Crazy.

Holy sh*t. What a ****ing game. As far as pure entertainment value, this game has to be 1a with the come-from-behind win in San Antonio being 1b. Woodson said that the win at San Antonio would do more to get the guys to buy into his system than any other win, but if there was ever any doubt of guys not buying in it's completely over, these guys will run through a brick wall for him now. I'm with Prof, over the last decade+ we've been conditioned to think the worst when these games are close down the stretch, but Kidd and Melo are 100% getting me to change that attitude. Not only that, but this started off very similar to the Memphis game with the team losing their cool at the refs and I don't know if it's just the calm of Kidd, but what's scary for the rest of the league is they have already seemed to learn from that game. Impressive.

Props to JR for a gutsy game, he absolutely kept us in the game with those five shots in a row in the early fourth. Sheeeed played some solid minutes once again and Melo was just MVP worthy. Kidd absolutely bailed out Felton who had another terrible game against brooklyn. I know he's dealing with the bum thumb, but when Melo and JR were hot, there's no reason for him to be chucking up shots. **for those who didn't see the post-game interview, Kidd said that at some point in the fourth he told Felton he was going to knock down a shot to win the game. ****ing ice-in-his-veins baller pimp.

God damn what a game. Can't wait for the LAL game and Melo to just go off and shove it all down D'antoni's face.

He's become a lot smarter under Woodson too. He knows when to call for ISO now or when to drive the lane, or even when to let Kidd take the reigns. It's that obvious.

It's completely noticeable and it's had a pretty big impact as far as keeping Melo fresh for that stretch run in the fourth. Clyde constantly points it out how much energy Melo used to waste taking the ball up the entire game instead of having Kidd and Felton get him the ball in the spots he wants. I know we were all optimistic and hesitantly talking about Melo transitioning his amazing olympics to the regular season, but he's done just that and more. I can't tell if it's Kidd, Woodson, him maturing or a combination of it all, but all I know is he's answering all Knicks' fans Christmas and Hanukkah wishes this year.

I wonder if you'll get a flopping fine for flopping in and out of this flapping thread with your flippidy floppidy posts.

This.

Also, I don't know why people are calling it an offensive foul. It wouldve been a lose ball foul since it was after the shot. The 3 wouldve counted and Stack wouldve had to shoot 2 FTs. They wouldn't have waved off the 3.

With STAT upping his workouts, he should be cleared for practice not too long from now and see some action at the beginning of the New Year at the latest.

I know the media likes to keep questioning whether STAT will mess up the chemistry, but it's obvious for me that he'll come off the bench to ease his way in and stay there once healthy and Shump returns.

The thing is, STAT should be an absolute beast in the 2nd unit with Prig, JR, Novak, and Sheed. How many bench players in the NBA can guard STAT one-on-one? If he's getting doubled in the 2nd unit that opens up shots for everyone. STAT should also be the 1st big off the bench, subbing for Tyson.

Some may worry about his return, but I think the Knicks can go on a serious tear with STAT in the rotation.

With STAT upping his workouts, he should be cleared for practice not too long from now and see some action at the beginning of the New Year at the latest.

I know the media likes to keep questioning whether STAT will mess up the chemistry, but it's obvious for me that he'll come off the bench to ease his way in and stay there once healthy and Shump returns.

The thing is, STAT should be an absolute beast in the 2nd unit with Prig, JR, Novak, and Sheed. How many bench players in the NBA can guard STAT one-on-one? If he's getting doubled in the 2nd unit that opens up shots for everyone. STAT should also be the 1st big off the bench, subbing for Tyson.

Some may worry about his return, but I think the Knicks can go on a serious tear with STAT in the rotation.

Come on man, you know as well as I do that the concern isn't so much how to fit him into the rotation as it is his ****ing personality. The only reason to be optimistic that he won't bitch and moan about minutes is because Kidd will be right there backing up Woodson to set him straight. I have no trust in any dude who wears lady clothes.

Come on man, you know as well as I do that the concern isn't so much how to fit him into the rotation as it is his ****ing personality. The only reason to be optimistic that he won't bitch and moan about minutes is because Kidd will be right there backing up Woodson to set him straight. I have no trust in any dude who wears lady clothes.

LOL, yeah, I completely agree.

Tyson, Kidd, and Melo would have Woodson's back to set STAT straight.

True. I think even more than Kidd it's the fact that the Knicks are currently 16-5 without him and he's so media conscious that I don't think he wants to be the guy who causes the team to go on a skid. For that reason alone I think he'll play the good solider. But you're definitely right, having Kidd there to tell him ithat f he truly wants a ring he'll shut up and get in line, is going to be great.

True. I think even more than Kidd it's the fact that the Knicks are currently 16-5 without him and he's so media conscious that I don't think he wants to be the guy who causes the team to go on a skid. For that reason alone I think he'll play the good solider. But you're definitely right, having Kidd there to tell him ithat f he truly wants a ring he'll shut up and get in line, is going to be great.

Has anyone ever questioned him on any team he's been on? Honest question. Been racking my brain about it and I can't come up with even one. 5 tenures with completely different teams and he's been the alpha dog from day one every time.

I'll be the first to admit, I had an extreme bias against Kidd because I hate the ****ing Nets with all of my soul. So maybe I tried arguing against his place amongst the greats because of that. For years I was always putting Stockton and Zeke over him, and if I really wanted to piss someone off I'd throw Nash out there too. But after seeing what he's done in a matter of a few months to the entire Knicks organization, I have to give credit where credit is due. He's probably the best PG of my lifetime.

Makes me excited even more for Felton tbh. 3 years of learning under him is going to really pay off. 6 months with the dude and he's already this much better.

The Reggie Rule, it's flopping.

The Reggie Rule isn't a flop rule. Flopping is completely different. Flopping is faking contact to get a foul call. The Reggie Rule is when there is actual contact and the NBA has told its officials to enforce the foul rule when the offensive player initiates contact.

The Reggie Rule isn't a flop rule. Flopping is completely different. Flopping is faking contact to get a foul call. The Reggie Rule is when there is actual contact and the NBA has told its officials to enforce the foul rule when the offensive player initiates contact.

Flip, flop, a flippa to the flippa to the flip flip flop and you don't stop...

It's part of the entire flopping video see below.

Earlier this month, the NBA released a video explaining its new anti-flopping rules, which come with fines and possible suspensions for repeat violators. In the video, Miami Heat All-Star guard Dwyane Wade was singled out for flopping on a play in which he kicked out his leg to draw contact from Boston Celtics wing Pietrus. The video’s narrator explained Wade’s infraction: “After releasing the jump shot, the shooter, No. 3 in the white uniform, extends his right leg attempting to draw a defensive foul. While there is marginal contact on the play, the flail and spin to the floor by the offensive player is an over-embellishment and it’s inconsistent with marginal contact.”

To summarize: it’s possible that a player could be whistled for an offensive foul and not a flop if there was legitimate contact and no embellishment; as noted, it’s also possible a player could draw a flop and not an offensive foul if the contact wasn’t deemed significant. But there really is a new, double risk on these plays for the offensive player. Should a player like Wade both kick out his legs to create significant contact and then exaggerate the effect of the contact after the fact, he would potentially be subject to both an offensive foul on the court and a flopping determination afterward.

http://nba.si.com/2012/10/22/reggie-miller-rule-nba-referees-dwyane-wade/

Has anyone ever questioned him on any team he's been on? Honest question. Been racking my brain about it and I can't come up with even one. 5 tenures with completely different teams and he's been the alpha dog from day one every time.

I'll be the first to admit, I had an extreme bias against Kidd because I hate the ****ing Nets with all of my soul. So maybe I tried arguing against his place amongst the greats because of that. For years I was always putting Stockton and Zeke over him, and if I really wanted to piss someone off I'd throw Nash out there too. But after seeing what he's done in a matter of a few months to the entire Knicks organization, I have to give credit where credit is due. He's probably the best PG of my lifetime.

Makes me excited even more for Felton tbh. 3 years of learning under him is going to really pay off. 6 months with the dude and he's already this much better.

I think you're dead right, I can't think of a single person. The only person I initially thought of was possibly Jamal Mashburn, but then looked it up and Kidd's rookie of the year season was Mashburn's second, so I doubt there was any contention there as they were supposed to be the future of that franchise. Then when he went to phoenix he was already an established guy and obviously his Nets tenure his well known. It's insane the impact he's had on every franchise he's been a part of.

I despised the guy for the better half of this decade as I can't even recall how many times I'd be watching a game with my jersey buddies and just be embarrassed at what they did to our Knicks. Oh and of course without fail be told how I was an effed up fan for liking the Knicks and Jets, which was usually by the end of the night and always set me off.

It's impossible to deny it, the dude is the best of our generation and I think he's the prime example of how PER doesn't always show the best player on the court, because there's no way I'd take some of these guys over a prime Kidd.

Archived