P.O.T.W. - 11.7.2012

The Gun Of Bavaria

I'm sure many of my "fans" out there will be upset that I didn't select a Jets-related POTW for the second week in a row, but I think we can all agree that this post is really worth commending. Besides, I don't make decisions based on being popular.

This act of compassion is truly a class act and the epitome of Americans helping other Americans in a time of need.

Congratulations Joe.

- G.O.B.

joebabyny Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

I'm in staten island. Our house is on the south shore 2 blocks from the ocean but we are 52 feet above sea level so no water damage, just a bunch of trees down. We lost power Sunday and just got it back yesterday. Thankfully I had some generators and directv for my tailgatejoe setup so we had tv and refrigerators kept going the whole time.

Yesterday when power came on I shared my generators and now that my family is ok I went today and bought 1,000 hot dogs and 100lbs of polish sausage. Dropped about 900 bucks. Going to take the tailgate trailer to one of the hard hit areas tomorrow on staten island and set up, show the football games and cook and give away the food to all the displaced and those without power.

It definitely was a very cool and genuine thing that Joe did. Not surprising though, he is a good dude.

Thanks Max and GOB, and thanks everyone else for the kind words. It ended up being about 13 hours handing out food from 2 locations on SI in the New Dorp beach section, which almost 2 weeks later is still ravaged and without power. My highlight was meeting the crazy lady that was on the news screaming "WE'RE GONNA DIE OUT HERE, SEND GENERATORS TO THIS CORNER NOW!!!" and after I walked away my friend goes "dude, you actually imitated her to her face, that was awesome." The lowlights were every one of the dozens of heart breaking stories people wanted to share with whoever would listen. I drove home feeling good about helping people, but emotionally crushed for just not being able to do nearly enough. I still carry that with me.

This weekend it looks like I will be heading to Long Beach to help a big effort to feed a very large number of first responders and volunteers who haven't had a hot meal in over a week, at least that is my plan if I can get enough gas to haul my trailer. The tailgate trailer has come in handy as an impromptu rescue relief mobile. It has my wheels turning with upgrades for a new trailer for next season if I can find the funds.

I did a little writeup from our relief effort here:

http://www.tailgatejoe.com/tgj-hurricane-sandy-relief-recap/

Here was the original announcement:

Here's some pics

tailgatejoehurricanesandy7.jpg

tailgatejoehurricanesandy5.jpg

tailgatejoehurricanesandy6.jpg

Oh great you put the TV out for the hurricane victims. I see how it is. :)

Great job Joe. Seriously man, the trailer was never intended for these purposes but it is cool to see good coming from it.

Plenty of gas in Central NJ. No lines this week. I know NY is still really bad gas wise which sucks.

Thanks Max and GOB, and thanks everyone else for the kind words. It ended up being about 13 hours handing out food from 2 locations on SI in the New Dorp beach section, which almost 2 weeks later is still ravaged and without power. My highlight was meeting the crazy lady that was on the news screaming "WE'RE GONNA DIE OUT HERE, SEND GENERATORS TO THIS CORNER NOW!!!" and after I walked away my friend goes "dude, you actually imitated her to her face, that was awesome." The lowlights were every one of the dozens of heart breaking stories people wanted to share with whoever would listen. I drove home feeling good about helping people, but emotionally crushed for just not being able to do nearly enough. I still carry that with me.

This weekend it looks like I will be heading to Long Beach to help a big effort to feed a very large number of first responders and volunteers who haven't had a hot meal in over a week, at least that is my plan if I can get enough gas to haul my trailer. The tailgate trailer has come in handy as an impromptu rescue relief mobile. It has my wheels turning with upgrades for a new trailer for next season if I can find the funds.

http://www.tailgatej...y-relief-recap/

Here's some pics

Dude seriously, you're the man. This is awesome of you.

http://www.tailgatej...y-relief-recap/

Here's some pics

Awesome job!

Archived