Jets Sign Hayworth Hicks

JetNation

Courtesy NY Jets PR Department

The New York Jets have signed G Hayworth Hicks from the Indianapolis Colts practice squad. The announcement was made by General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Hicks (G/6-3/336/Iowa State/Los Angeles, CA) entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with Indianapolis (04/30/12). He was waived following the preseason (08/31/12) before signing with the Colts practice squad (09/01/12). He started 24-of-36 games during his career at Iowa State, where he was presented Iowa State’s Arthur Floyd Scott award as Iowa State’s most outstanding offensive lineman as a redshirt senior.

nooo.... but... why this guard circus? Vlad isn't all world like we thought???

Remember when everybody was complaining about our lack of depth on the OLine? This guy can potentially help fill that void. They kept Vlad and they kept Schlauderaff. For some reason they kept Landolt on the active roster for ages when he supposedly had a serious knee injury. They are trying to add some young OLinemen. Are they useful? Who knows, but Moore is old and was hurt for some of last year. Slauson will be an unrestricted FA and nobody here will admit that Vlad hasn't looked horrible in his time on the field in 2012. This guy is huge and might fit in the Sparano man up and push method of Oline.

I think the Seattle game will be interesting. I know a bunch of people on the board were all excited about the Seahawks defense and their speed, but it's a game of styles. Sometimes the speed can overwhelm a slower squad, but sometimes A big team can bounce speed guys out of the way and let a big gooch like Greene rumble for a decent gain on every carry. I haven't seen much of the Seahawks yet, so they might just be that good, but we'll see if we can get something going.

Remember when everybody was complaining about our lack of depth on the OLine? This guy can potentially help fill that void. They kept Vlad and they kept Schlauderaff. For some reason they kept Landolt on the active roster for ages when he supposedly had a serious knee injury. They are trying to add some young OLinemen. Are they useful? Who knows, but Moore is old and was hurt for some of last year. Slauson will be an unrestricted FA and nobody here will admit that Vlad hasn't looked horrible in his time on the field in 2012. This guy is huge and might fit in the Sparano man up and push method of Oline.

I think the Seattle game will be interesting. I know a bunch of people on the board were all excited about the Seahawks defense and their speed, but it's a game of styles. Sometimes the speed can overwhelm a slower squad, but sometimes A big team can bounce speed guys out of the way and let a big gooch like Greene rumble for a decent gain on every carry. I haven't seen much of the Seahawks yet, so they might just be that good, but we'll see if we can get something going.

Gotcha. Thanks. I guess it is a depth move. I tried to see it for something else. Do you think Slauson will demand actual big dollars on the open market? He has been solid for us.

I've watched as much of Seattle as I could, and they seem more legit than what we all thought before the season. But they sure as sh*t aren't what everyone is making them out to be. Wilson can sling it, and can roll out of the pocket. We'll see. I think we put it to them. If not, we suck a ton more than I thought. And at this point, I think we suck pretty damn large.

Gotcha. Thanks. I guess it is a depth move. I tried to see it for something else. Do you think Slauson will demand actual big dollars on the open market? He has been solid for us.

I've watched as much of Seattle as I could, and they seem more legit than what we all thought before the season. But they sure as sh*t aren't what everyone is making them out to be. Wilson can sling it, and can roll out of the pocket. We'll see. I think we put it to them. If not, we suck a ton more than I thought. And at this point, I think we suck pretty damn large.

I have no idea what Slauson might command. They haven't made many moves on offense, but the linemen they have been looking at under Sparano have been LARGE. I don't think Slauson is a particularly big guard and they may not like him as much as Callahan did. I can see them bringing him back, but he might be worth more to another team than to the Jets. This guy may actually be a depth pick up or he may be gone in a few weeks and nobody will even remember him. Like Colin Baxter.

I think they have been trying to figure out a way to bring in a cheap replacement for Brandon Moore. They drafted RG Nothing and he did not pan out and are now bringing in Hicks to give him a look see. Both guys are big run blocking road graders who figure at right guard, not left guard.

I think they have been trying to figure out a way to bring in a cheap replacement for Brandon Moore. They drafted RG Nothing and he did not pan out and are now bringing in Hicks to give him a look see. Both guys are big run blocking road graders who figure at right guard, not left guard.

You think? I get the whole right side run, left side pass protect idea, but I thought that was going away. I won't argue the effectiveness of Ducasse, but they cut Faneca and tried to install him at LG from day 1. Right now Ducasse is rotating with Slauson. Nobody is giving Moore a breather. I'm not sure what they are trying to do, but they sure seem to be acting like Moore is ahead of Slauson on the depth chart. Far as I know they are both free agents this offseason which might explain getting all the bodies in.

You think? I get the whole right side run, left side pass protect idea, but I thought that was going away. I won't argue the effectiveness of Ducasse, but they cut Faneca and tried to install him at LG from day 1. Right now Ducasse is rotating with Slauson. Nobody is giving Moore a breather. I'm not sure what they are trying to do, but they sure seem to be acting like Moore is ahead of Slauson on the depth chart. Far as I know they are both free agents this offseason which might explain getting all the bodies in.

Both of the guys I mentioned are right guards. We nearly dumped Moore 3 or 4 years ago and the guy will be 33 next year. If they aren't looking to replace him, they are at least considering options to apply negotiating leverage.

Both of the guys I mentioned are right guards. We nearly dumped Moore 3 or 4 years ago and the guy will be 33 next year. If they aren't looking to replace him, they are at least considering options to apply negotiating leverage.

Oh, you are talking about the guy from Baylor? Robert Griffin? When you said "Nothing," I thought you meant Ducasse. You meant Griffin and Hicks. Now I get it. Ducasse was initially a T, but they have tried him everywhere without much success.

Why did the Jets sign Hicks? Here is the likely answer:

QUOTES: The Jets signed linebacker D.J. Bryant and running back John Griffin to the practice squad. ... Other players limited Monday were safeties Eric Smith and LaRon Landry, NT Sione Pouha, TE Jeff Cumberland, G Brandon Moore, RB Bilal Powell and Mangold.

> http://www.bostonher...tm_content=ESPN

With Moore and Mangold limited that leaves them with Slauson at G. They can use Vlad to fill in one spot and would have to slide either Schlauderaff or Slauson to C and let the other play G. Extra bodies will be needed just for practice.

FWIW, Allen cleared waivers and was added back to the practice squad.

Archived