Rex Ryan laughs off 'overrated' label

JustInFudge

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets coach Rex Ryan laughed off a leaguewide player survey that named him the most overrated coach in the NFL, saying he was just happy to finish ahead of nemesis Bill Belichick.

"My first thought was, I looked at it and I saw who was second," Ryan said Wednesday, alluding to the New England Patriots' coach. "I was like, Hey, I finally beat Belichick in something.' I knew it would take time, but I finally got him."

The Sporting News conducted an anonymous midseason poll of 103 players from 27 teams. Ryan finished first by a landslide, collecting 35 votes. Belichick was second with 16 votes.

Ryan created a personal rivalry with Belichick, declaring soon after he was hired in 2009 that he didn't take the Jets' job to kiss Belichick's Super Bowl rings. Since then, the Jets have finished second to the Patriots every season in the AFC East.

Turning serious, Ryan said he didn't mind the "overrated" label.

"I wasn't offended by it," he said.

Revealing some of his trademark bravado, Ryan claimed he'd finish near the top of any survey in which players voted for the coach they'd most want to play for. In fact, he has placed highly in that category in past polls.

"Poll the same players about who they'd want to play for, and I'll probably end up where I always do -- right at the top with (Mike) Tomlin," he said, referring to the Pittsburgh Steelers' coach. "(It would be) either me or Mike Tomlin, one of two. We're the guys they want to play for.

"I don't think that would change. I don't care. As long as they want to come here and play, if I'm overrated, that's fine."

However, the Sporting News released its poll results of coaches that players would least like to play for Wednesday, and Ryan (16 votes) finished third, behind the Buccaneers' Greg Schiano (20) and Belichick (19).

The Sporting News also conduced a survery on coaches that players most want to play for, and Ryan finished tied for sixth with the Ravens' John Harbaugh in that poll, which was also released Wednesday. Tomlin finished atop that poll while Belichick finished second.

Ryan led the Jets to the AFC Championship Game in his first two seasons, but his star has fallen over the past year. The Jets are 3-5, and they've lost eight of their last 11 games, dating to last season.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8603755/rex-ryan-new-york-jets-laughs-overrated-poll-results

"Poll the same players about who they'd want to play for, and I'll probably end up where I always do -- right at the top with (Mike) Tomlin," he said, referring to the Pittsburgh Steelers' coach. "(It would be) either me or Mike Tomlin, one of two. We're the guys they want to play for.

"I don't think that would change. I don't care. As long as they want to come here and play, if I'm overrated, that's fine."

However, the Sporting News released its poll results of coaches that players would least like to play for Wednesday, and Ryan (16 votes) finished third, behind the Buccaneers' Greg Schiano (20) and Belichick (19).

It is absolutely stunning how little self awareness this goon has. I guess it's fitting that it permeates his football responsibilities, like having no idea wtf is going on on offense ever, or in the locker room last year, or that his team isn't good, especially his QB.

It is absolutely stunning how little self awareness this goon has. I guess it's fitting that it permeates his football responsibilities, like having no idea wtf is going on on offense ever, or in the locker room last year, or that his team isn't good, especially his QB.

The Sporting News also conduced a survery on coaches that players most want to play for, and Ryan finished tied for sixth with the Ravens' John Harbaugh in that poll, which was also released Wednesday. Tomlin finished atop that poll while Belichick finished second.

Please. When a poll that declares Belichik the second coach you'd most like to play for and the second coach you'd least like to play for, there's something clearly wrong with the whole data. Sure a few anonymous players say Rex is overrated, but then you have a handful saying they'd love to play for him. But that doesn't really fit into your condescending, agenda-driven attitude huh?

Please. When a poll that declares Belichik the second coach you'd most like to play for and the second coach you'd least like to play for, there's something clearly wrong with the whole data. Sure a few anonymous players say Rex is overrated, but then you have a handful saying they'd love to play for him. But that doesn't really fit into your condescending, agenda-driven attitude huh?

I didn't conduct the poll. I'm just pointing and laughing at Rex's reaction to it.

And I don't have an agenda, but I am condescending. Why am I condescending because this is the internet and there are boobs here who take what gets said so seriously that they accuse one another of having agendas.

I'm just a frustrated fan. Sometimes I say sh*t that is spot on, sometimes I talk out of my ass, most times I'm somewhere in between. I'd be the first to tell anyone that, but boobs on this site are oh-so-serious so it's lost on them.

Archived