NFL to players: Cannabis still not legal

Blackout

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-players-colorado-washington-pot-still-problem-154718612--nfl.html

If you're into loco weed, you happen to play for a team in Colorado or Washington state, and you think that the bills passed on Tuesday that allow the possession and use of marijuana apply to you ... well, you might want to check on that. According to the NFL, there's state law and the league's collective bargaining agreement, and players should expect to heed the latter if there's a dispute.

"The NFL's policy is collectively bargained and will continue to apply in the same manner it has for decades," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told USA Today's Lindsay Jones on Wednesday morning. "Marijuana remains prohibited under the NFL substance abuse program."

[Related: MLB won't alter rules after Colorado and Washington pot news]

In Colorado, Proposition 64 allows state residents over the age of 21 to possess an ounce of marijuana and grow up to six plants in their homes. Washington's I-502 allows similar possession limits. There will be legal limits established to judge impaired driving per I-502, and pot will be taxed. It's estimated that taxation and legalization could raise as much as $2 billion in revenue for Washington state over the next five years. That revenue will be earmarked for education, health care, substance abuse prevention and government services.

"The whole country is going to wake up and look at Washington state and recognize this is the beginning of taking apart prohibition one state at a time," I-502 supporter Rick Steves said.

Others, like Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, were less than pleased with the results. "Federal law still says marijuana is an illegal drug, so don't break out the Cheetos too quickly," he said.

Hickenlooper does have a point, and there may be complications arising from the differences in state and federal law. It's entirely possible that the federal government could sue to repeal state legalization, and federal law does take precedence. Clearly, the NFL feels that its laws do, as well.

"The Colorado and Washington laws will have no impact on the operation of the policy," Aiello said.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But, but.. its a plant that grows freely.. why should it be legal ?

Humans and other mammals have receptors for pot, and they know exactly how it works.. unlike half the meds that they push on TV

on one channel and advise getting a lawyer for on another... They don't even know the mechanism on half the psychotropics the housewives of 'Merica are addicted to..and yet it is more than legal, it is a cash cow for the guvamint.

not necassarilly true man dont fall for stuff like that lol.

Nothing organic is gonna cure cancer.

may slow it though

Wrong.. most drugs come from organic sources.

The reason they haven't found a cure for cancer is there is way too much money in treating cancer to cure it... You mean to tell me we can run multiple wars in several areas of the globe, and build useless space stations in the sky , and we still haven't seen a live *beaked whale*.. We have whole specie of insects that haven't been discovered.. and believe me.. the cure for cancer is going to be in one of those insects, or in some shark specie we haven't discovered..

And, MJ has long since been noted to slow the growth of cancer cells.. and that in itself should be pursued to the ends of the earth.

I keeping meaning to get there to try them, but the closest Taco Bell is 45 minutes and its just not a priority right now. But i will take your word for it.

Clearly you need to get your priorities straight.

Meh. I didnt like them. guess i wasnt high enough

You have issues. They've revolutionized the hard taco. I'll never go back.

But, but.. its a planppt that grows freely.. why should it be legal ?

Humans and other mammals have receptors for pot, and they know exactly how it works.. unlike half the meds that they push on TV

on one channel and advise getting a lawyer for on another... They don't even know the mechanism on half the psychotropics the housewives of 'Merica are addicted to..and yet it is more than legal, it is a cash cow for the guvamint.

please end all your posts with: "maaan!" thanks in advance.

Wrong.. most drugs come from organic sources.

The reason they haven't found a cure for cancer is there is way too much money in treating cancer to cure it... You mean to tell me we can run multiple wars in several areas of the globe, and build useless space stations in the sky , and we still haven't seen a live *beaked whale*.. We have whole specie of insects that haven't been discovered.. and believe me.. the cure for cancer is going to be in one of those insects, or in some shark specie we haven't discovered..

And, MJ has long since been noted to slow the growth of cancer cells.. and that in itself should be pursued to the ends of the earth.

........... thats so wrong. Yes most form organic sources but thats because we can synthesize them and change the properties. The reason we cant find a cure for cancer is because everyones cells are different. Do you know how hard it is to design a drug for something that comes from an individual persons cells? that can spread to multiple types of cells

btw the league's interpretation of the CBA isn't so cut and dried. It says specifically "illegal" activities

http://profootballta...-as-nfl-thinks/

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/PlayerDevelopment/2010%20Drug%20Policy.pdf

Before entering an Intervention Stage, players shall be tested only for

benzoylecognine (cocaine); delta 9-THC-carboxylic acid (marijuana); amphetamine and

its analogs; opiates (total morphine and codeine); opioids (e.g., hydrocodone,

oxycodone); phencyclidine (PCP); and methylenedioxymethamphetamine (“MDMA”)

and its analogues (the “NFL Drug Panel”). After a player enters any stage of the

Intervention Program, Testing for substances of abuse, in addition to the NFL Drug

Panel, shall be at the discretion of the Medical Director in accordance with the terms of

this Intervention Program.

I wonder the effect it would have during a football game. I find with most people it's completely hit or miss when it comes to physical activity stoned. Had a friend who was a star goalie in HS who used to get high as all hell before games and then go out and dominate. To this day I still consider it one of the more impressive things I've witnessed in life.

I keeping meaning to get there to try them, but the closest Taco Bell is 45 minutes and its just not a priority right now. But i will take your word for it.

On a similar note, I wanna find the kid in the commercial who drove 8 hours to try one and beat the everloving sh*t out of him. And the fact that he actually found people to join him is even more infuriating. ****ing hipsters.

Archived