The Dolphins, Giants, Pats, Vikings have contributed to Sandy relief...but not the Jets?

T0mShane

Shameful if true. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Hey New York Jets, Where’s the Sandy Relief?

By: kristinereese

November 8, 2012, 12:46 am

It’s been nearly ten days since Superstorm Sandy devastated the Tri-State area, killing more than 100 people and leaving more than 8 million homes and businesses without power. Many people in Staten Island, New Jersey and Long Island are still without power and now, like a horrifying scene out of a science fiction movie, another storm, Nor’eastern Athena (I guess we are naming these now?), is bringing heavy wet snow, blustery winds, freezing temps and sheets of ice to the already reeling region.

Mark Sanchez visited NJ with first responders.

The NFL and NFLPA  generously donated $1 million dollars to the American Red Cross for Sandy relief in the days following the storm, and many teams, their owners and even some players have followed suit.

Zygi Wolf, owner of the Minnesota Vikings (and a New Jersey native), donated $100,000 to the relief efforts, Green Bay Packers cornerback Charles Woodson donated $100,000 of his own money to assist families in the region and Indianapolis Colts Owner Jim Irsay pledged to match online donations up to $1 per fan at last Sunday’s Colts game against the Miami Dolphins (the donation was expected to exceed $65,000).

On Tuesday, the New York Giants, who were directly impacted by the storm, donated $500,000 to storm relief charities in addition to donating food and money for victims through an annual food drive at MetLife Stadium before Sunday’s game. Several Giants players volunteered time to distribute food in New Jersey while others worked at the New Jersey Food bank separating food items and making sandwiches for relief workers. Quarterback Eli Manning also lent a hand, assisting the American Red Cross in its efforts on Staten Island.

Today, the Miami Dolphins and their owner Stephen Ross donated $500,000 to the Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York to support Hurricane Sandy relief efforts (Ross is chairman of Related Companies, a real estate company in New York City). The team also announced that they will donate net proceeds from the sale of tickets for Sunday’s game against the Tennessee Titans to the American Red Cross.

Many other franchises and individual athletes have done their part to help those in need, including the New York Yankees, New York Mets, and the Baltimore Orioles.

But what about the Jets?

Good question.

To the best of my knowledge, as of Wednesday evening, only two members of the Jets organization have formally assisted with relief efforts — quarterback Mark Sanchez, who meet with first-responders in Toms River, NJ during his off day on Tuesday, and LB Marcus Dowtin, who  posted this on his Facebook page earlier this evening asking fans to share stories about their tough time dealing with Sandy, pledging to pay it forward at a home game TBD later this season.

But the team? The team  has done nothing.

Many Jets fans – myself included – have expressed our extraordinary disappointment with the organization’s failure to donate or organize any kind of relief to a fan base directly and devastatingly affected by Mother Nature, a fan base that has opened their pockets (Oh btw, the Jets have the most expensive average ticket price in the NFL) and given so much to this team over the years.

If the folks running the New York Jets Twitter account read their mentions – and I happen to know they do – then they’ve likely seen the outrage from the fans demanding they do something – anything – to help out their fans at a time when they are in desperate need of assistance from those more fortunate.

Many have argued that perhaps the Jets have done something in private. After all, many charitable donations are made without press releases. But come on, folks. This is the New York Jets. They don’t do anything without drawing attention to it, and you can bet that if they had made a donation or organized a team activity, we would ALL know about it.

With the election now over, one would think Woody Johnson’s attention would refocus on this team and it’s fan base, and I’ve heard rumblings that the team WILL do do something soon, but unfortunately, any time or money they do donate going forward will appear as if it’s only to save face. That said, the fact that the team MUST do something remains undisputed.

Just wait till #15 the savior of our franchise gets wind of this...heads will roll and lives will be saved.

Unfortunately Tebow only makes 2.5 mil which is probably the number a$$hole Woody should have donated to helping people in need. Im sure Tebow would donate his time however.

Namath ripped him pretty good yesterday.

This team really has become a joke. I was young when Leon was here along with the mess of coaches....but I never got the sense that they didnt give two sh*ts about the fans like Woody.

The face of the franchise openly ripping the owner of the team...where else does this happen?

This team really has become a joke. I was young when Leon was here along with the mess of coaches....but I never got the sense that they didnt give two sh*ts about the fans like Woody.

The face of the franchise openly ripping the owner of the team...where else does this happen?

Becoming a joke? haha thats a good one.

Where else is the face of the franchise a 70 year old man who hasnt taken the field in 40 years?

Becoming a joke? haha thats a good one.

Where else is the face of the franchise a 70 year old man who hasnt taken the field in 40 years?

Namath is really the only thing that thsi franchise can cling to for relevancy. Without Namath we are the Jaguars.

I'd be extremely surprised if Johnson didn't do anything, but c'mon, irsay donating 65K, that's a joke. Dwade offered his complete game check of 216k before taxes. Anything less than a million from these billionaires, especially when it's your city seems pathetic.

I completely agree. I think i read the NFL as a whole gave a million. For a business that makes as much as they do, a million is a like 10 bucks to you and me. I think they should have given more.

I completely agree. I think i read the NFL as a whole gave a million. For a business that makes as much as they do, a million is a like 10 bucks to you and me. I think they should have given more.

Agreed. And I hate sounding like that, because any donated money is clearly welcomed, as these men do not have to give away their money. However, when you're put in a position to help others out and you have the financial means, especially when it's your city, you should step up to the plate. The sad thing here is that a lot of these NFL owners and players do donate throughout the year, it's only when there's a way to negatively spin it that other people's charitable donations are brought up to compare others who haven't. I know Woody does a lot for the city of NY financially, I would be extremely, extremely shocked if he hasn't already or hasn't planned on doing it, if for no other reason than to look good in the public eyes. At that point, who gives a sh*t the reason why someone is donating the money so long as it's donated; there's no such thing as altruism anyways right? haha

Marriages that end in divorce.

I'd be extremely surprised if Johnson didn't do anything, but c'mon, irsay donating 65K, that's a joke. Dwade offered his complete game check of 216k before taxes. Anything less than a million from these billionaires, especially when it's your city seems pathetic.

he put together a fund raiser matching every fan who donated to the cause, one dollar per fan, which will amount to 65k out of his own pocket in addition to a minimum 65k (likely much more) from fans. yeah. what an a$$hole. Woody would never have done the same for a disaster in Indiana. Or NJ for that matter.

he put together a fund raiser matching every fan who donated to the cause, one dollar per fan, which will amount to 65k out of his own pocket in addition to a minimum 65k (likely much more) from fans. yeah. what an a$$hole. Woody would never have done the same for a disaster in Indiana. Or NJ for that matter.

I guess you failed to read my subsequent post saying that it was obviously a welcomed gesture, but why do that when you can keep up with message board status quo and post a message dripping with sarcasm and condescension. Much appreciated. And I stand by my statement that 65k from a billionaire is a joke; just because another dumbass billionaire wouldn't do it if the situations were swapped, doesn't make it any better. I mean, since when is Woody Johnson our guiding light of morality?? When you see guys like Brad Pitt donating in the millions, Lady Gaga donating a million dollars to Japan, Dwade donating a full game check, all while their net monetary value is a fraction of an NFL owner, it does seem trivial. The donation from Irsay is still obviously welcomed, as I mentioned, but 65k is a drop in the bucket.

slightly off topic, but this Francesa vs Liper thing is hysterical.

How does LI still not have power?

His utility workers are likely Jets fans. He seems to bitch he's the last one with power every time. He's last on the list of people I give a sh*t about having power atm so it works for me

I guess you failed to read my subsequent post saying that it was obviously a welcomed gesture, but why do that when you can keep up with message board status quo and post a message dripping with sarcasm and condescension. Much appreciated. And I stand by my statement that 65k from a billionaire is a joke; just because another dumbass billionaire wouldn't do it if the situations were swapped, doesn't make it any better. I mean, since when is Woody Johnson our guiding light of morality?? When you see guys like Brad Pitt donating in the millions, Lady Gaga donating a million dollars to Japan, Dwade donating a full game check, all while their net monetary value is a fraction of an NFL owner, it does seem trivial. The donation from Irsay is still obviously welcomed, as I mentioned, but 65k is a drop in the bucket.

Woody Johnson is known for charitable work. I'm sure that he will donate plenty.

Can't see blaming Irsay for "only" donating $65,000. He agreed to match whatever the fans donate. I'm sure that if they do not donate what he considers a sufficient sum that he will kick it up.

I don't like the whole guilt into charity thing. Whatever anybody donates is a blessing. I agree the teams that make their money from the community should donate something, but I don't think we have to set a price. It's nice that you call it a "welcomed gesture", but calling $65,000 a joke does make it seem like an insult. There are plenty of rich people in New York that don't own professional teams and nobody is calling them out.

Woody Johnson is known for charitable work. I'm sure that he will donate plenty.

Can't see blaming Irsay for "only" donating $65,000. He agreed to match whatever the fans donate. I'm sure that if they do not donate what he considers a sufficient sum that he will kick it up.

I don't like the whole guilt into charity thing. Whatever anybody donates is a blessing. I agree the teams that make their money from the community should donate something, but I don't think we have to set a price. It's nice that you call it a "welcomed gesture", but calling $65,000 a joke does make it seem like an insult. There are plenty of rich people in New York that don't own professional teams and nobody is calling them out.

Calling it a joke may have been a bit hyperbolic, but it was more to make a point that it seems quite silly for one using what equates to pocket change for a bilionaire, as a way to tear down our owner. Especially someone who has shown to be highly charitable throughout his tenure. Some may say Woody does it for publicity, but at what point do the victims actually care why it was donated, ya know. Obviously Irsay's money is welcomed, but I just didn't like the idea of using him matching 65k as another reason to tear down our owner. The guy may be clueless when it comes to his football team and fans, but I've never heard of him skimping on facilities or charitable work.

Posted an hour ago. What expeditious timing. Must have been a real struggle to get the ol' checkbook back from Karl.

Lol be fair, how soon after and how much money donated would it have taken for you not to criticize Woody? Everyone bashes the guy for being media-driven, and rightfully so, but how did anyone think he wouldn't donate at least half a mill in addition to something on-the-field related, whether it was for attention purposes or because it was the right thing to do??

Lol be fair, how soon after and how much money donated would it have taken for you not to criticize Woody? Everyone bashes the guy for being media-driven, and rightfully so, but how did anyone think he wouldn't donate at least half a mill in addition to something on-the-field related, whether it was for attention purposes or because it was the right thing to do??

Don't short change Woody, he's also dedicating the Thanksgiving game to the victims which is nice since 90% of them are Jets fans. It's really the Giants fault they went and donated 500k first Woody lost a lot during the election and nobody's donating anything to him. People need to suck it up.

I'm just busting Woody's balls. I'm sure the carrier pigeon bringing him news of the storm got totally screwed up by that very storm.

Archived