From the mouth of a three year old

Bergen Jet

My son watches every Jets game with me and my friends, even though he has little clue of what is actually going on. He cheers when the Jets score, goes "Oh No" when we turn over the ball or the other team scores, does the Jets chant, wears his jersey whenever he sees that I have one on, etc.

I was watching this past game with him, venting frustration over the play of the team with KleckoIsGod when Sancez triple pumped his way out of a sure touchdown to a sure red zone interception.

My three year old realized he missed something (well 3.5 year old) so he started paying attention again. He yelled at the TV during the replay "Throw the ball, throw it, throw it, throw it, OH NO!"

While Joe and I got a laugh out of it, I later sat down and wondered what I am subjecting my little one to. I have been watching the Jets since I was his age, and have a family tradition of watching the Jets. Its too late for me and I wouldn't have it any other way. However...

Maybe I let him decide what team he wants to root for when he gets a few years older... because I feel pretty bad that he already feels a connection with this team. :)

My son watches every Jets game with me and my friends, even though he has little clue of what is actually going on. He cheers when the Jets score, goes "Oh No" when we turn over the ball or the other team scores, does the Jets chant, wears his jersey whenever he sees that I have one on, etc.

I was watching this past game with him, venting frustration over the play of the team with KleckoIsGod when Sancez triple pumped his way out of a sure touchdown to a sure red zone interception.

My three year old realized he missed something (well 3.5 year old) so he started paying attention again. He yelled at the TV during the replay "Throw the ball, throw it, throw it, throw it, OH NO!"

While Joe and I got a laugh out of it, I later sat down and wondered what I am subjecting my little one to. I have been watching the Jets since I was his age, and have a family tradition of watching the Jets. Its too late for me and I wouldn't have it any other way. However...

Maybe I let him decide what team he wants to root for when he gets a few years older... because I feel pretty bad that he already feels a connection with this team. :)

This thread has been reported to Child Protective Services. You should expect a knock on the door any minute now - making a 3 year old watch the play of the Jets!?!? You monster!

when I was 5 I got a patriots helmet. (I lived near albany NY, and they didn't have the internet in 1972)

when I was older I got an autographed picture of the SB champion cowboys signed by ernie stautner from my mom who worked with his sister (or whoever)

neither stuck

it was when dad started taking me to jets games because we lived on LI and he couldn't get tickets to Giants games, that it stuck

wesley walker was the man

FML

This story is half awesome, half tragedy, nothing better than bonding with your son, whatever the event, activity, is, but the poor kid is now screwed for life, because it sounds like he will be bleeding green for life, and boy does it seem like all we do as Jets fans is bleed unfortunately.

when I was 5 I got a patriots helmet. (I lived near albany NY, and they didn't have the internet in 1972)

when I was older I got an autographed picture of the SB champion cowboys signed by ernie stautner from my mom who worked with his sister (or whoever)

neither stuck

it was when dad started taking me to jets games because we lived on LI and he couldn't get tickets to Giants games, that it stuck

wesley walker was the man

FML

Loved Wesley, Freeman, Lam (yes, thought he was awesome when I was 7), the Sack Exchange, etc.

The good news is, based on his age, unless he is incredibly advanced developmentally, it is unlikely that he will retain much if any memory of the Mark Sanchez era.

More importantly, you should keep your son away from Klecko, no doubt he's on a few lists.

The good news is, based on his age, unless he is incredibly advanced developmentally, it is unlikely that he will retain much if any memory of the Mark Sanchez era.

More importantly, you should keep your son away from Klecko, no doubt he's on a few lists.

The good news is that I was talking to Klecko on the phone listening to him rant (and rightfully so) about how pathetic this team was playing. :)

...and yes, I used to "watch" games at a younger age than he currently is, but my earliest sports memories that I can recall I was a couple of years older than him.

Being a Jets fan is exactly what every kid needs. It teaches you to be humble. It teaches you life isnt fair. It teaches you no matter how hard you try, you're not always going to come out a winner. And most of all, it teaches kids that life sucks. Being a front running, bandwagon riding asshat teaches nothing. Being a consistent loser teaches life lessons.

Being a Jets fan is exactly what every kid needs. It teaches you to be humble. It teaches you life isnt fair. It teaches you no matter how hard you try, you're not always going to come out a winner. And most of all, it teaches kids that life sucks. Being a front running, bandwagon riding asshat teaches nothing. Being a consistent loser teaches life lessons.

So, you are saying that I am a good parent?

My suggestion keep him a JETS fan and also make sure he is a Yankees fan.

That way he knows what its like to root for someone competitive and once or twice a decade he can know what it feels like to be WIN it all.

And by closely following the JETS he grows up aware what comes in the way of success. Will help him in life.

With all due respect to all the METS fan on this board, keep him away from the METS. Now if you have a JETS and METS combo that will be a lot of therapy bills.

My suggestion keep him a JETS fan and also make sure he is a Yankees fan.

That way he knows what its like to root for someone competitive and once or twice a decade he can know what it feels like to be WIN it all.

And by closely following the JETS he grows up aware what comes in the way of success. Will help him in life.

With all due respect to all the METS fan on this board, keep him away from the METS. Now if you have a JETS and METS combo that will be a lot of therapy bills.

I disagree strongly. if he's a yankees fan, then he feels entitled to winning and getting all sorts of crap for nothing. the worst fans are yankee/jets fans. :-D

then again, whiny dooshy mets fans who hate the yankees cause they're jealous of the success are insufferable and i wish they would get run over by a bus

I disagree strongly. if he's a yankees fan, then he feels entitled to winning and getting all sorts of crap for nothing. the worst fans are yankee/jets fans. :-D

then again, whiny dooshy mets fans who hate the yankees cause they're jealous of the success are insufferable and i wish they would get run over by a bus

So your point is do not follow NY based baseball teams. :)

Archived