Tebow the terrible. Jets mates rip QB - Mehta

Sperm Edwards

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1201722

NY Jet teammates rip backup Tim Tebow, believe 'terrible' quarterback hasn't improved

Despite Mark Sanchez’s league-low 52% completion rate and league-high four red-zone interceptions, the players believe he should remain the starter over Tebow

BY MANISH MEHTA/ NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

156293744-web.jpg

Tebowmania may have captivated the NFL last season, but Tim Tebow’s new team doesn’t believe that he’s a savior.

More than a dozen Jets players and members of the organization painted a sobering picture of the player who rallied the Broncos to the playoffs last season. In their eyes, he’s simply not very good.

The prevailing thought in the organization is that Tebow is nothing more than a gimmick.

“He’s terrible,” a defensive starter told the Daily News.

Although Tebow told The News last month that he has made improvements as a quarterback over the past few months, none of the people in the organization who spoke to The News shared that sentiment.

Both offensive and defensive players admitted that they hadn’t noticed any appreciable improvement in Tebow’s quarterback skills in practice since he was traded to the Jets in March. Tebow has been a poor practice player throughout his career. His current teammates echoed sentiments from Denver Broncos players a year ago about the lefthanded signal caller’s poor practice performance.

The 3-6 Jets’ dwindling playoff chances haven’t changed this mind-set in the locker room: Tebow isn’t a panacea.

Despite Mark Sanchez’s league-low 52% completion rate and league-high four red-zone interceptions, the players believe he should remain the starter over Tebow, who has accounted for only 132 total yards and averaged seven offensive snaps per game. Rex Ryan has backed Sanchez without publicly guaranteeing that he will be the starting quarterback for the rest of the season.

Left guard Matt Slauson, who has repeatedly supported Sanchez, made it clear that the fourth-year signal caller is the Jets’ best quarterback.

“It’s not even close,” Slauson said. “All the other quarterbacks know it. I have all the confidence in Mark. We don’t really have a choice.”

When asked about the team’s two other quarterbacks on the depth chart as possible alternatives — Tebow and Greg McElroy — Slauson clarified that the Jets really have only one other quarterback.

“We have Greg . . . and we have an athlete,” Slauson said.

But could the Jets win with Tebow as the No. 1 quarterback?

“Do I have to answer that question?” a veteran starter said, shaking his head.

To most of the people in the organization, Tebow is nothing more than a specialty player who doesn’t have the requisite skills to be a true quarterback in the league. “We don’t look at him as a quarterback,” another starter said. “He’s the Wildcat guy.”

The designation dismisses Tebow’s success in Denver last season. Despite Tebow’s magic from a year ago, the Jets still view Sanchez as a much better option and have no immediate plans to bench him, according to sources. None of the members of the organization interviewed by The News believed that a zone-read offense tailored to Tebow’s strengths can help the Jets reverse their fortunes.

“Hell, no!” another starter said. “You got to keep defenses honest. You just can’t line up in the Wildcat all the time. That won’t work.”

Tebow’s legs provide a tempting alternative for the Jets’ slumping offense. “That’s the real threat he brings,” defensive lineman Mike DeVito said.

“He’s a winner,” said a Jets source, who made it clear that even though he wanted Tebow to get more playing time, Sanchez should remain the starter. “If he stays on the field long enough, usually good things happen.”

But most members of the Jets don’t believe that what they saw from Tebow last season is sustainable. “We can’t win running that sh--,” one player said.

They think Tebow’s heroics in Denver were a mirage.

“Now we’re depending on miracles?” a member of the organization said. “You can’t play that way.”

However, Sanchez’s poor play raises legitimate questions about whether a change — if only temporary — is in order for a team that has lost nine of the last 12 games dating back to last season.

The decision-makers don’t think that’s the right course of action. “It would take extreme poor play. . . . like a five-interception game,” said a prominent member of the organization. “Something where it was just ridiculous. It would take Mark to totally just sh-- the bed and become unglued (before there was a quarterback change).”

The organization has factored Sanchez’s weak supporting cast of skill position players into the equation.

“Look at some of the players he’s throwing to,” a Jets official said. “It’s garbage.”

Said another Jets source: “I’ve seen better receiving corps in college than we have on our team.”

So, who wants Tebow to be the starter?

“Nobody,” a member of the team said.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These comments are typical of a team that has not class, is clueless and has zero leadership. You can thank the fat **** Rex for the mess our team is in.

I get it lets blame Tebow....what a laughing stock our team is. I hope we get our assess kicked each sunday until they get this fat ****er out of here.

Note to Jets....get a clue, get some class, get some leadership and stop talking. Be ****en men for crying out loud!

The embarrassments continue. It just shows how awful this organization is and how it is devoid of leadership.

No other organization has players who talk so freely with the media.

As much as I agree with the sentiments of these players, they should not be openly discussing them with the media. Well run organizations keep it in house.

Maybe this accelerates some firings for the end of this year

The embarrassments continue. It just shows how awful this organization is and how it is devoid of leadership.

No other organization has players who talk so freely with the media.

As much as I agree with the sentiments of these players, they should not be openly discussing them with the media. Well run organizations keep it in house.

Maybe this accelerates some firings for the end of this year

Have you ever seen our Jets like this? I don't ever remember our team being like this ever!

“Look at some of the players he’s throwing to,” a Jets official said. “It’s garbage.”

Said another Jets source: “I’ve seen better receiving corps in college than we have on our team.”

this is also true. we've seen more drops this year than the last 3 years combined.

Tim Tebow Blasted By Unnamed Jets: ‘He’s Terrible’

tim-tebow1.jpg

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – After Sunday’s ugly 28-7 loss in Seattle, all indications pointed at a long, long week for Jets starter Mark Sanchez.

But instead, with the calls for a change at quarterback as loud as ever, it’s Tim Tebow who has suddenly found himself on the hot seat.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll labeled him as a “distraction” on Monday. The following day, Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw called New York’s acquisition a “huge mistake” on WFAN radio, saying Tebow brings “chaos” and “just can’t play.”

Sure, Sanchez has taken his fair share of lumps. But you could argue the Tebow talk has been just as bad, if not worse.

And now it’s coming straight from the Jets’ locker room.

“He’s terrible,” an unnamed starting defensive player told the New York Daily News.

Daily News reporter Manish Mehta spoke with over “a dozen Jets players and members of the organization,” and said the general feeling “is that Tebow is nothing more than a gimmick.”

“We can’t win running that s—,” an anonymous player said of a Tebow-led offense.

One teammate even said “nobody” wants Tebow to start under center.

After last season, several unnamed players and members of the Jets organization ripped Sanchez for his performance and work ethic to the Daily News.

This time, with Tebow on the receiving end, it wasn’t all anonymous. Jets guard Matt Slauson said when it comes to the current situation at quarterback, the team doesn’t “really have a choice.”

“We have (third-stringer) Greg (McElroy) … and we have an athlete,” Slauson told the paper.

It was an ugly read. One player said you can’t depend on “miracles,” referring to Tebow’s stunning stretch with Denver last season. A “prominent member” of the Jets organization said for there to be a change, Sanchez would have to “totally just s— the bed and become unglued.”

Ouch.

The Jets’ receiving corps also got blasted. One Jets source suggested to the Daily News that Sanchez’s targets don’t compare even to the personnel on some college teams.

“It’s garbage,” said another.

WFAN co-host Boomer Esiason, who has been critical of Tebow’s play from the get-go, said Wednesday that the backup just doesn’t have the skill set to be a starting quarterback in the NFL.

In August, Esiason insisted the Jets should “cut Tim Tebow.”The comment made national headlines, and Tebow responded with grace to the former Jets quarterback.

Tebow will surely be asked about the rip job. Will it be more vintage Tim?

Stay tuned.

It’s just another day in Florham Park.

so why exactly is the team covering for Sanchez by attacking the nicest guy on the team? The one who always says the right thing. The jealousy and cowardice is embarassing. Starting to really think Rex and Tanny, Sparano etc are gone at the end of the year.

and for you conspiracy theorists out there why is it that Manish is seemingly the only reporter who gets these types of anonymous quotes? hmm..

so why exactly is the team covering for Sanchez by attacking the nicest guy on the team? The one who always says the right thing. The jealousy and cowardice is embarassing. Starting to really think Rex and Tanny, Sparano etc are gone at the end of the year.

and for you conspiracy theorists out there why is it that Manish is seemingly the only reporter who gets these types of anonymous quotes? hmm..

Maybe because he is not afraid to ask the right question?

this is also true. we've seen more drops this year than the last 3 years combined.

Our receiver suck but this is hardly the reason. I've seen some bad drops but I see that every week all over the league. The Jets don't have a single receiver in the top 25 or so in drops this year.

Demaryius Thomas is #4 in the NFL in dropped passes this year. Eric Decker is tied for #5. They were both among the league's worst in this category last year also. Despite your claim that he sucks now and that his career is over, Peyton Manning is still awesome even with his butterfingers targets.

Dez Bryant and Jason Witten are also tied for #5 most dropped passes.

Jimmy Graham is #1. Despite missing all of 1 game and part of another, no one has dropped more passes this year than Jimmy Graham.

If you're going to make statistical claims, at least have some statistical basis for making them.

Every team has receivers make brutal drops. Despite all the no-name guys we're trotting out there, when compared to the rest of the league they are not uniquely bad in this category unless you can find some stat to the contrary.

If you're going to make statistical claims, at least have some statistical basis for making them.

Every team has receivers make brutal drops.

I was actually thinking about the backs and the te more than the receivers. Lex Hilliard had a brutal drop at the start of the Seahawks game. I don't have all the stats but i know that there were 6 drops total in the Pats game. The "total drops" stat needs to be put in context with the total throws stats. The Jets aren't the Saints throwing a thousand times a game. When they do throw and it hits a target in the hands, it hurts the Jets more cause their offense is less explosive.

"What do you think of Tebow" is a question only he thought to ask?

I just find it strange he's the go to guy for anonymous bashing. Why him?

C'mon. It's an obvious reflection on the team's leadership that multiple players would be willing to badmouth a fellow player to a reporter. Particularly mid-season.

There are bad and slumping players on other teams and we don't hear this crap out of their locker room.

This screams of Rex and/or Sparano and/or other coaches badmouthing Tebow to the other players, behind Tebow's back, to the point where they feel comfortable saying the same to a reporter.

I was actually thinking about the backs and the te more than the receivers. Lex Hilliard had a brutal drop at the start of the Seahawks game. I don't have all the stats but i know that there were 6 drops total in the Pats game. The "total drops" stat needs to be put in context with the total throws stats. The Jets aren't the Saints throwing a thousand times a game. When they do throw and it hits a target in the hands, it hurts the Jets more cause their offense is less explosive.

Super-rookie Doug Martin has 8 drops in 9 games.

The Jets are not uniquely horrible in this category. Show me a table that shows the Jets as a team drop a higher percentage of passes than receivers (or backs) of other teams.

You watch the Jets so you notice it on the Jets. Doesn't make it any less frustrating for you or for me, but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen to everyone less or less significantly.

"What do you think of Tebow" is a question only he thought to ask?

I just find it strange he's the go to guy for anonymous bashing. Why him?

Slauson was not anonymous.

The reason that other reporters don't do this is they are afraid that they will be shunned by the FO. Being a beat reporter is not an easy gig. You are dependent upon the people that you cover. If you rip them, you are subject to be shut off from "inside info".

It is a dangerous line.

Give Mehta credit in that he was not afraid to report what is a huge subject.

If you are saying that his sources are false, let us know what info you have

Our receiver suck but this is hardly the reason. I've seen some bad drops but I see that every week all over the league. The Jets don't have a single receiver in the top 25 or so in drops this year.

Demaryius Thomas is #4 in the NFL in dropped passes this year. Eric Decker is tied for #5. They were both among the league's worst in this category last year also. Despite your claim that he sucks now and that his career is over, Peyton Manning is still awesome even with his butterfingers targets.

Dez Bryant and Jason Witten are also tied for #5 most dropped passes.

Jimmy Graham is #1. Despite missing all of 1 game and part of another, no one has dropped more passes this year than Jimmy Graham.

Every team has receivers make brutal drops. Despite all the no-name guys we're trotting out there, when compared to the rest of the league they are not uniquely bad in this category unless you can find some stat to the contrary.

While I agree, drops are only a small part of the equation when talking about how bad our receivers are.

They constantly run wrong routes, and struggle big time against press coverage, and never fight for the ball.

I'm not saying this as an excuse for Sanchez, he sux something fierce right now, but taking him out of the equation, the receivers on this team are probably the worst collective group in the league.

Throw in a terrible QB, a below average running game, and a terrible offensive coordinator, and you get the disaster that is this offense.

There is plenty of blame to go around here.

In no order, Tanny, Rex, Sanchez, Sparano all share In this disaster. I would be upset if any of them are back next year at this point.

Slauson was not anonymous.

The reason that other reporters don't do this is they are afraid that they will be shunned by the FO. Being a beat reporter is not an easy gig. You are dependent upon the people that you cover. If you rip them, you are subject to be shut off from "inside info".

It is a dangerous line.

Give Mehta credit in that he was not afraid to report what is a huge subject.

If you are saying that his sources are false, let us know what info you have

What Slauson said was relatively tame. The true bashers were of the anonymous variety.

I'm not saying his sources are false.. I'm saying it's noteworthy that there have been 2 very similar reports which have gained national attention by 1 reporter.

Lets not act like there has never been a case of a reporter embellishing for the sake of sensationalism. Again, not saying that's happening here. But it's fair to ask the question.

C'mon. It's an obvious reflection on the team's leadership that multiple players would be willing to badmouth a fellow player to a reporter. Particularly mid-season.

There are bad and slumping players on other teams and we don't hear this crap out of their locker room.

This screams of Rex and/or Sparano and/or other coaches badmouthing Tebow to the other players, behind Tebow's back, to the point where they feel comfortable saying the same to a reporter.

I don't know if it means coaches are badmouthing Tebow but it does mean Rex grossly overestimated the unity of the team. I've heard him say a dozen times that what happened last year won't happen this year. The players are unwittingly contributing to getting their guy fired.

What Slauson said was relatively tame. The true bashers were of the anonymous variety.

I'm not saying his sources are false.. I'm saying it's noteworthy that there have been 2 very similar reports which have gained national attention by 1 reporter.

Lets not act like there has never been a case of a reporter embellishing for the sake of sensationalism. Again, not saying that's happening here. But it's fair to ask the question.

Based on what we are seeing off the field, based on what we are seeing on the field, I would say that is pretty fair to say that everything seems in line.

Archived