Rex or Mangini

sirlancemehlot

Mangini sucked. The 2006 season was a fluke/weak schedule with Chad not taking any chances. Does anyone even remember that playoff game? yeah neither do I.

Mangini did a nice job with the 2006 draft(in hindsight wasnt exactly rocket science there either) and landed us Revis. The 2007 offseason is what really turned this team around though. Woody, Faneca, Jones, Jenkins, Pace(at the time) were all immediate contributors and better than the league average at their position.

As a head coach though...meh...the defense always sucked....there were just as many SOJ losses during that era as any others. I guess the nice thing was he knew how to manage the clock and we werent penalized much. The talent was really anything that great.

He sucked both places he went. He tried to change the culture of the Browns by painting over their wall of fame or whatever. lol. Who the **** is he again? What has he accomplished? He brought over all the JAGs from the Jets and thought he was going to win in Cleveland. Guy sucked that why he's on TV now.

Cleveland does not count. It never ever counts. No HC can make Cleveland relevent. Cleveland is where coaches go to die. Except Bill Belichek--who got a chance to try again after his stint in Cleveland and will probably go to the Hall of Fame as one of the greatest coaches ever. And a major Cheater (Mangini outed him, remember?)

Mangini and Pete Carroll are two guys we pulled the trigger on a season too soon in my opinion. Rex, however, I think I've seen enough of. He's a defensive coordinator moonlighting as a HC/media hound. And our team is now a laughingstock. A joke. A circus. A punchline. Carroll and Mangini were both better at putting together teams you could get behind and honestly root for. I don't give a rats ass about a single player on our roster, and generally dislike the group overall. And we're losing, to boot.

At the end of the day, its the snake-oil salesman that's to blame. Or should I say, chameleon. He is who he needs to be to keep Woody happy, and the HC pacified. And when the team sucks, he becomes a henchman weilding pink slips. But he can't put a decent team together on his own. He picks the guys his coaches want (obviously) so he can blame them for poor personnel decisions. Hell he even drafted Mark's drinking buddy at one point. It begins with Tannenbaum, and ends with a new coach, and a new QB--in that order.

Mangini sucked. The 2006 season was a fluke/weak schedule with Chad not taking any chances. Does anyone even remember that playoff game? yeah neither do I.

Mangini did a nice job with the 2006 draft(in hindsight wasnt exactly rocket science there either) and landed us Revis. The 2007 offseason is what really turned this team around though. Woody, Faneca, Jones, Jenkins, Pace(at the time) were all immediate contributors and better than the league average at their position.

As a head coach though...meh...the defense always sucked....there were just as many SOJ losses during that era as any others. I guess the nice thing was he knew how to manage the clock and we werent penalized much. The talent was really anything that great. Not to mention treating the players like babies.

D'Brick, Mangold, Eric Smith, Brad Smith, Leon Washington, Drew Coleman, Darrelle Revis, David Harris Chansi Stuckey, Dustin Keller. Faneca, Pace, Woody, T-Rich, Jenkins, Thomas Jones

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. Mangini was here three years. There are ten guys above that made the pro-bowl (bolded) That's a hell of a lot of talent in a three year span.

Rex took the JETS to 2 AFC championships with Mangini's guys!

No one is benching Favre when the guy a a continuous game record in tact, plus it was Brett Favre, anyone who

said they would of benched him is full of crap.

Lets not forget Rex's 1st year he was gifted into the playoffs when

Indy and I think Tennessee both played the JV's..Indy would have buried the Jets that year.

Rex's 1st 2 years he had 75% of Mangini's roster and 60% of his coaches. Why they didn't

offer to pay Bill Callahan a fortune to stay at O line coach is beyond me.

Rex can coach X's and O's no one disputes this., but when you bring in and draft guys

with character issues and allow them to run off at the mouth this is what you going to get.

Mangini was young when he was here but this kind of crap would never happen under his watch.

Its comedy tragic theater now.

The ship has sailed on reigning these guys in, just the comment on Tebow, a player on your team just trying to earn a living shows you how unprofessional this has gotten

Rex being the gambler bet the house on Sanchez..and sadly.................................

I personally wanted to see Mangini get another year, but understood his firing.

I don't think either is a great HC.

I think Mangini had a much better plan for the franchise, and was executing his plan, whether it would have ever yielded big results, who knows.

I think Rex is a better defensive mind than Mangini, but as I have said over and over again, he is not a leader of a franchise, and you cannot ignore the offense as he has done.

The drafting and personnel decisions speak for themselves between the two guys, pretty much same FO around them.

If not for the Gholston bust, Mangini's years drafting and FA pickups would have been considered incredible, but even with, were still very good.

For me, I would take Mangini over Rex any day of the week.

Rex is a clown. He was a change of pace explosive type guy who yielded good results with a lot of luck his first 2 years, but that is done, and he has lost this team for good.

He must go now!

Rex can be an excellent head coach, as long as he's part of a solid organization. If the Jets had a strong GM in charge, who understood talent evaluation and simply got the best players and told Rex to coach them, Rex would be much better off. Rex is a very smart football guy, but he's also an emotional guy who lets his emotions cloud his decisions.

Mangini is on TV not because he sucks so much as because he's a black-balled rat. He should be an assistant GM somewhere, but he's a rat.

Rex can be an excellent head coach, as long as he's part of a solid organization. If the Jets had a strong GM in charge, who understood talent evaluation and simply got the best players and told Rex to coach them, Rex would be much better off. Rex is a very smart football guy, but he's also an emotional guy who lets his emotions cloud his decisions.

Mangini is on TV not because he sucks so much as because he's a black-balled rat. He should be an assistant GM somewhere, but he's a rat.

where is the evidence that rexey is a smart football guy?

Knows diddly about offense and ST's, and his defenses have gotten worse each yr he has been here. I think Rexey killed Robbie's chances at being a HC, and i dont think Robbie

is anything special either, their pops was for sure.

where is the evidence that rexey is a smart football guy?

Knows diddly about offense and ST's, and his defenses have gotten worse each yr he has been here. I think Rexey killed Robbie's chances at being a HC, and i dont think Robbie

is anything special either, their pops was for sure.

Last year was the first year, either here or in Baltimore, where Rex's defense finished outside of the top six in the league. Find me another coach on either side of the ball who's had a similar seven year run if you want to say Rex isn't a smart football guy. The man knows football, especially defensive football.

Last year was the first year, either here or in Baltimore, where Rex's defense finished outside of the top six in the league. Find me another coach on either side of the ball who's had a similar seven year run if you want to say Rex isn't a smart football guy. The man knows football, especially defensive football.

Yep. And even the people who rip Rex in the media admit he's a solid defense guy. Far better than Mangini, who coached both sides of the ball poorly.

Rex will probably want another HC job when he's done here, but he should settle for a DC job with a solid organization and, if possible, a good QB on the other side.

Either way, he'll be in football next year. He won't be a TV analyst like Mangini. Though if Rex WERE to become a TV analyst, it would probably be good entertainment. No matter what we say now, the 2010 season of Hard Knocks was some of the funniest television I've ever seen.

Yep. And even the people who rip Rex in the media admit he's a solid defense guy. Far better than Mangini, who coached both sides of the ball poorly.

Rex will probably want another HC job when he's done here, but he should settle for a DC job with a solid organization and, if possible, a good QB on the other side.

Either way, he'll be in football next year. He won't be a TV analyst like Mangini. Though if Rex WERE to become a TV analyst, it would probably be good entertainment. No matter what we say now, the 2010 season of Hard Knocks was some of the funniest television I've ever seen.

Just a couple of weeks ago, you were calling fans that wanted the head of Rex, stupid.

Imagine where you will be with a couple more weeks of this.

Just a couple of weeks ago, you were calling fans that wanted the head of Rex, stupid.

Imagine where you will be with a couple more weeks of this.

I also admitted that, if he were to be done here after this, it will be because of his support of Mark Sanchez, not because he's a poor coach. You've maintained otherwise.

He's definitely a good x and o guy defensively, but IMO that does not by itself make him a good football guy.

I think he is terrible with personnel assessment, and cannot manage or lead a locker

He's definitely a good x and o guy defensively, but IMO that does not by itself make him a good football guy.

I think he is terrible with personnel assessment, and cannot manage or lead a locker

Jets could do a lot worse than having a quality x and o guy as the head coach. See: Edwards, Herm; Mangini, Eric.

As I said, personnel assessment shouldn't be his job. He should be working for a strong GM. As for the locker room, I think he overestimated his abilities there. The Jets brought in too many malcontents. There's a happy medium between Mangini's boy scouts and this motley crew, they need to find it.

That was a great season, period. All around. It was exciting. We had some big wins. The team was fun to watch. Sadly, 2010 was probably my favorite year ever as a Jets fan.

Overall, I agree with Slats. Put Rex in a solid organization who's interest is winning and not publicity, he'd be a great coach. The fact he's been able to win at all with Mark Sanchez is a testament to that, let alone his consistency on D.

Fans are just very short sided. Tomlin's considered a great coach. You honestly think Rex couldnt win a SB with that team? Please. He took the ****ing Jets and Mark Sanchez to a game from it 2 years in a row. Give him Big Ben and that front office and lets talk.

"And even the people who rip Rex in the media admit he's a solid defense guy. Far better than Mangini"

Thats laughable..People in the media..Who like Mike Greenberg..

Mangini drafted to ALL PRO guys..Harris and Revis and Mangini moved up to draft Harris

Who by the way makes about every freakin tackle..Unlike overpaid Bart Scott who sucks

Jets could do a lot worse than having a quality x and o guy as the head coach. See: Edwards, Herm; Mangini, Eric.

As I said, personnel assessment shouldn't be his job. He should be working for a strong GM. As for the locker room, I think he overestimated his abilities there. The Jets brought in too many malcontents. There's a happy medium between Mangini's boy scouts and this motley crew, they need to find it.

Rex has lost total control of what players say to the media., how they act towards each other and has bickering and infighting.

Other than that, he has been a great leader. Let's see-You get "C". You get a "C". You get a "C" and you get a "C". Now that our team leadership is taken care of, shall we talk about strategy?

"And even the people who rip Rex in the media admit he's a solid defense guy. Far better than Mangini"

Thats laughable..People in the media..Who like Mike Greenberg..

Mangini drafted to ALL PRO guys..Harris and Revis and Mangini moved up to draft Harris

Who by the way makes about every freakin tackle..Unlike overpaid Bart Scott who sucks

David Harris is the most overrated player the Jets have had in the past 5-6 years. He is also probably the most overpaid non-QB in the entire NFL.

Another genius move by the front office. $30M guaranteed to David freaking Harris. Ugh.

David Harris is the most overrated player the Jets have had in the past 5-6 years. He is also probably the most overpaid non-QB in the entire NFL.

Another genius move by the front office. $30M guaranteed to David freaking Harris. Ugh.

Spermy, you are a smart guy and I respect your football intellect, but minus David Harris this year the Jets

franchise would have set a record for rushing yards given up..no lie.. Bart got Rex to give him a" buddy" contract

and he makes like 3 tackles a game and is the lead s**t talker and he certainly isn't backing it up..Agree to disagree on DH.

Wait, but seriously, who are the supposed "bad guys" that the media keeps saying we have in such abundance?

I'm not seeing what the rest of you are seeing - obviously. Most rosters have a few criminals. Who are ours? Kenrick Ellis, charges dropped? Santonio Holmes, smoking too much weed?

I get that Holmes is a jackass, but I can't really think of anyone else that stands out, and 1/53 ain't bad.

People might have said this type of stuff about Cromartie before the season, and yeah he's vapid, but it's clear that guy wants to win. He made that boast that he's the best corner left in the league (sans Revis) and actually delivered on it. He was probably top 30 in most people's books in the pre-season, but now he's playing like a top 3-5. He's stepped it up.

So who are the bad guys here?

Spermy, you are a smart guy and I respect your football intellect, but minus David Harris this year the Jets

franchise would have set a record for rushing yards given up..no lie.. Bart got Rex to give him a" buddy" contract

and he makes like 3 tackles a game and is the lead s**t talker and he certainly isn't backing it up..Agree to disagree on DH.

You are describing what Harris used to be. He isn't that anymore. He got paid and blows. Also he can't cover for sh*t. Pretty awful for a guy who counts $12M against this year's cap and $13M on next year's. Stupendously overrated player.

Agree to disagree if you like. But IMO his current contract is one of the dopiest signings this team has made in the last decade.

And I'm not that smart. I just sleep at Holiday Inn Express a lot.

Personnel decisions absolutely have to be a major part of any HCs duties.

They don't have to oversee it, but they have to be able to decide who fits their systems, who fits their locker, who can be tought, and many other important things.

A HC who is bad at personnel assessment will be a bad HC period.

I could not agree more with this.

Spermy, you are a smart guy and I respect your football intellect, but minus David Harris this year the Jets franchise would have set a record for rushing yards given up..no lie.. Bart got Rex to give him a" buddy" contract and he makes like 3 tackles a game and is the lead s**t talker and he certainly isn't backing it up..Agree to disagree on DH.

Meh, Bart was a beast the first 2 season here. Basically ever since Klacko wrote that piece of Scott changing the culture, he hit a wall and has been on a steady decline.

I blame Klacko, for everything thats going wrong with the Jets.

You are describing what Harris used to be. He isn't that anymore. He got paid and blows. Also he can't cover for sh*t. Pretty awful for a guy who counts $12M against this year's cap and $13M on next year's. Stupendously overrated player. Agree to disagree if you like. But IMO his current contract is one of the dopiest signings this team has made in the last decade. And I'm not that smart. I just sleep at Holiday Inn Express a lot.

Agreed. Harris is cashing it in right now. He's a nice complimentary LB, not one you sign to the money he's making. Thats the type of money you pay a player that you build a defense around, which clearly is not what you do with David Harris. I'm hoping Davis can turn into a player because I do think their skill sets could compliment each other well.

You are describing what Harris used to be. He isn't that anymore. He got paid and blows. Also he can't cover for sh*t. Pretty awful for a guy who counts $12M against this year's cap and $13M on next year's. Stupendously overrated player.

Agree to disagree if you like. But IMO his current contract is one of the dopiest signings this team has made in the last decade.

And I'm not that smart. I just sleep at Holiday Inn Express a lot.

I don't think he is stupendously overrated. Just stupendously overpaid.

I don't think he is stupendously overrated. Just stupendously overpaid.

They overpaid him based on overrating him. He's being paid like an all-time great. He isn't even a present-time great. He's never been. He was a present-time very good when they guaranteed him $30M on a 4-year deal.

I wouldn't be especially bitter over his play if his cap number was in the $5M range. But $12-13M? That's insanity or incompetence; you take your pick.

Meh, Bart was a beast the first 2 season here. Basically ever since Klacko wrote that piece of Scott changing the culture, he hit a wall and has been on a steady decline.

I blame Klacko, for everything thats going wrong with the Jets.

Agreed. Harris is cashing it in right now. He's a nice complimentary LB, not one you sign to the money he's making. Thats the type of money you pay a player that you build a defense around, which clearly is not what you do with David Harris. I'm hoping Davis can turn into a player because I do think their skill sets could compliment each other well.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. :hand:

Archived