will schottenheimer get revenge on jets ? ? ?

kelly

Remember Brian Schottenheimer ?

He was the former New York Jets offensive coordinator who shouldered most of the blame for the team's downfall and eventual implosion last year. The Jets finished 25th in total offense and it cost Schottenheimer his job. He eventually landed with the St. Louis Rams, while New York hired Tony Sparano in place of "Schotty."One year later, the Jets’ offense remains in shambles. Quarterback Mark Sanchez has regressed under Sparano and the Tim Tebow experiment is a bust. New York’s offense is ranked 30th entering Week 11 -- five spots lower than Schottenheimer’s group last season.The Jets will meet their former scapegoat Sunday when the Rams (3-5-1) host the Jets (3-6). It will be a chance for Schottenheimer to get revenge and send his old team further into the abyss.

"My impressions, he’s doing an outstanding job," said Rams head coach Jeff Fisher on a conference call Wednesday. "I was very excited initially that he was available. We hit the ground running and he’s been a big influence of the early turnaround of this football team."St. Louis is not an offensive juggernaut. The Rams are 19th in passing and 12th in rushing in Schottenheimer’s first year. They certainly appear to have a few more pieces offensively than New York with quarterback Sam Bradford, receiver Danny Amendola and the dual running threat of Steven Jackson and Daryl Richardson.Most importantly, Fisher said Schottenheimer has a good rapport with his players. Things seemed to sour with Schottenheimer in New York last year, particularly with Sanchez."He has a great relationship with Sam," Fisher explained. "The two of them have spent a lot of time together. Sam has a very good feel for what we’re trying to do. Brian and Sam are on the same page all the time during the ballgame. I think Sam is only going to get better and better."

Schottenheimer will get his chance to kick the Jets while they’re down this weekend.

> http://espn.go.com/b...revenge-on-jets

His was terrible and nothing will change that

To be fair, he had Sanchez, so it's not like he had much to work with in terms of the passing game. Anyways, we'll be losing this game, considering how they were able to score on the 9ers, I'm sure they'll have no problem scoring on our defense, our offense on the other hand, we might get shut out again.

I feel Schotty has a better Head Coach in Fisher. That helps IMHO because Rex should have intervened in past when play calling was 'baffling'. I guarantee Fisher WILL intervene ASAP if he does not like play calling. Fisher more interested in best interests of team and not being best buddies with players/coaches like Rex appears to be.

RAMS : Schotty's Doing an Outstanding Job

Transcripts of conference calls by St. Louis' Jeff Fisher and Sam Bradford with Jets reporters on Wednesday morning :

RAMS HEAD COACH JEFF FISHER

On his impressions of working with Brian Schottenheimer…

My impressions, he’s doing an outstanding job. I was very excited initially that he was available. We hit the ground running and he’s been a big influence of the early turnaround of this football team.

On how Schottenheimer has helped Sam Bradford…

He has a great relationship with Sam. The two of them have spent a lot of time together. Sam has a very good feel for what we’re trying to do. Brian and Sam are on the same page all the time during the ballgame. I think Sam is only going to get better and better.

On the Jets' use of Tim Tebowicon-article-link.gif

It’s their call, their right to use him however they choose. He’s a potential threat, a different kind of threat with the way they use him offensively from week to week — you probably hear that from everybody. It’s something we have to prepare for. You have to spend time and be very prepared for the differences between the two quarterbacks.

On the amount of time spent preparing for Sunday’s game…

We’re just on day one of the work week. We’re going to prepare our defense, but how much time we spend, that’s confidential, that’s our own business. The way the league is, we spent time on it last week with the young quarterback at San Francisco [Colin Kaepernick], and he’s a fine player. Week to week, you have to remind your players that we potentially may get some of this offense and this is what we’re going to do if it happens.

On what has impressed him about Schottenheimer…

His knowledge, his experience and the success he had there at New York. When you’re putting together a new football team, you have to do it and developing a young talented quarterback like Sam, you have to first start with the run game. I think statistically, the Jets' run production over the years while Brian was there speaks for itself.

On if he was surprised the Jets parted ways with Schottenheimer…

What I was excited about was that he was available. What happened in the past is the past. Brian has moved on, we've moved on together and we have a great staff, we have a great working relationship. We expect to have a lot of success in the future.

On Wayne Hunter’s performance…

Wayne came in and was very excited to be here. Obviously, it didn’t take him very long to refamiliarize himself with the offense. He came in and helped us when we needed help. We missed him for a couple of weeks, but he’s back now at 100 percent. He’s a very enthusiastic, fun-loving guy that loves to practice. He’s just having fun here.

On running fake punts…

Well, I think it’s a philosophy. It’s a philosophy that I obviously shared with our special teams coach because we’ve been known to do things like that in the past. There are teams that will put a fake punt in and they’ll practice it once a week and the players know that they are going to call it. And there are teams that are going to install things and the players know they'd better be prepared to execute because it very likely will get called, and I think that’s the approach we have here.

On acquiring Hunter…

Wayne is versatile. He can play left, he can play right, he can play guard. He’s big, strong, physical. We’re committed to rebuilding this offensive line and we needed depth. We’ve been through some injuries here thus far. This year we’ve got everybody back now except for Scott [Wells], so we feel like, like I said, Wayne gives us experience. He also has, in the past, played in the tight end position, reported eligible and the goal line thing, so he just gives us a big guy that we can trust.

On if it was tough losing Jason Smithicon-article-link.gif

No, we know this was a good for all four parties, for Jason, for Wayne, for the Rams and for the Jets, and that’s why we did it.

On bringing in Schottenheimer…

I brought Brian in for a lot of different reasons, those that I spoke of earlier. His experience, the success that he had, his communication skills, everything that I heard about him is true and more. And he also is very gifted as far as the relationship with the quarterback. In addition to that, there’s a quarterback coach involved, we’ve got an excellent one here. The three of them, along with the other two quarterbacks, get along very well.

On sizing up the Jets wide receivers…

Well, they’re productive, young, but productive with different types of abilities. You’ve got guys with a run-after-catch ability, you’ve got good route runners, and I think that they’ve probably been unfairly criticized because this is a group that can make plays. I’ve been very, very impressed with Stephen Hillicon-article-link.gif early on. He’s going to be a very good player. And [Jeremy] Kerley’s making plays. So the group can make plays, and it’s just a matter of getting the football to them.

On if Schottenheimer’s familiarity gives him an advantage…

Obviously, he’s familiar, but he does pay close attention to what they do there. They change things weekly. They do some very unique and difficult things to attack.

RAMS QB SAM BRADFORD

On working with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer…

I’ve really enjoyed working with Schotty. It’s been great getting to know him, learning his system. I think he’s really helped me in the fact this year that he’s very detailed in everything that he does. He coaches me hard on little things, he never lets anything slide by and I think that’s been something I haven’t had in the past couple years. With him and Cig [Frank Cignetti] coaching me, it seems like they’re always on me about something. They help me elevate my level of play.

On if Mark Sanchezicon-article-link.gif might be distracted by Tim Tebow…

I’m not there. I don’t know what that situation is like, but wherever you are in the league, you’re going to have a backup. That’s just part of the game. I’ve never had a distraction in my couple of years here, so I really can’t speak on that because I don’t know what that’s like.

On Schottenheimer’s greatest attribute…

I think Schotty’s greatest thing is just his attention to detail. His game plan each week, the way he coaches me, the way he coaches the offense, he’s very detailed. He holds everyone accountable to know all the small details and all the finer points. I think that’s great and I’ve really enjoyed being around him.

On if Schottenheimer has made them a better offense this season…

Absolutely. I feel better with what we’re doing at this point in the year than I did last year. Obviously, we had a lockout last year, which made things tough on everyone, but I think Schotty’s done a great job coming in here and adapting to the personnel that we have yet still running his offense and what he knows.

On if having Schottenheimer is an advantage…

Obviously, it helps. The fact that he was up there and he knows, but at the same time I’m sure that everyone in New York realizes that, so they’re not going to come out and play the same way that we expect them to play. I’m sure that they’re going to have some new wrinkles. I think it helps with overall insight and information but at the same time we have to be prepared for the new things that they’re going to throw at us on Sunday.

On if Schottenheimer has mentioned anything about wanting to beat his old team…

No, he hasn’t.

On if he thinks Schottenheimer wants to beat the Jets because it’s his old team…

Yeah, I mean, I’m sure anyone that leaves a team and goes to a new team, I think anytime you have an opportunity to play your old team, you want to beat them. But at the same time, it’s one of our 16 regular season games. He’s treated it just like any other game week. We set out to win each and every week and I think that’s the way he’s approached this week.

On if the team wants to win this one for Coach Schottenheimer…

Yeah, obviously, like I said earlier, we set out each and every week to win. That’s our goal. I think first and foremost we want to win because that’s who we are and what we do but at the same time getting to know Schotty over the past couple months, I think it would be nice for us to help him out and bring this one home for him

> http://www.newyorkje...78-bd51846fcb08

New York Jets (3-6) at St. Louis Rams (3-5-1)

Before the game, Mark Sanchez goes missing. Coaches, trainers, everyone looks for Sanchez. "Found him!" says the bus driver. Sanchez chain-smoking behind the bus in the Ed Jones tunnel, hands shaking uncontrollably. "I give up," he says, misery in his voice. "Play Tebow. Please, just play Tebow!"

Rex Ryan expects 'cat and mouse' game between Jets and former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer

For three years Brian Schottenheimer was the Jets' offensive coordinator. Rex Ryan remembers the times the two would break down the offense and defense from the other person's perspective. As the Jets prepare to face the Rams, where Schottenheimer now coaches, he has a different perspective on those breakdowns."As far as he knows, we threw everything out," Ryan joked.

jets_logo.jpg
MORE COVERAGE OF JETS FOOTBALL

Jets' owner Woody Johnson says Tim Tebow not acquired to sell PSLs

Woody Johnson won't comment on immediate futures of Jets coach Rex Ryan, GM Mike Tannenbaum

Shonn Greene possibly advocates for Jets QB change

Rex Ryan expects 'cat and mouse' game between Jets and former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer

Rex Ryan sticking by Jets offensive coordinator Tony Sparano through rough stretch

Jets' WR Stephen Hill misses practice for second straight day with illness

Free Jets mobile app from NJ.com

Jets stories and columns

Jets photos

Jets videos

With the intimate knowledge the Jets have of Schottenheimer and he has of the Jets' defense, Ryan expects that a battle of the minds will ensue Sunday."I’m looking forward to seeing the cat and mouse between Schotty and our defense because we know each other so well," Ryan said today.One example: when the Jets' pass rush goes after Rams quarterback Sam Bradford. Ryan said that Schottenheimer uses multiple pass protections and different looks.

The Jets use different kinds of blitzes."For each protection there’s probably a better blitz," Ryan said. "That’s probably where that cat and mouse game comes in."Ryan would not go into the reasons for Schottenheimer's exit, saying that "I don’t even want to go down that road because there were several things that went into it."Instead he's looking forward to Sunday."It’s not that you’re chasing ghosts, it’s that you know each other so well," Ryan said."He’s probably anticipating certain things from us and we’re anticipating certain things from him."

Mike Vorkunov: mvorkunov@starledger.com; twitter.com/Mike_Vorkunov

> http://www.nj.com/je..._and_mouse.html

Ryan, Tannenbaum deserve one more year

New York Jets owner Woody Johnson dropped the verbal gauntlet Thursday.

"I didn't sign up for a 3-6 season," Johnson told New York reporters. "We haven't had one of these in a while. I'm not happy about it, yet I'm optimistic that some of these things can be corrected."Although names weren't mentioned, we know exactly who this was directed to. Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan should feel a little less secure than they did one day ago. Johnson officially put both on notice.Johnson signs a lot of checks – big ones -- and he has just three wins to show for it. His team is widely viewed as a circus with a combustible locker room full of characters. The Jets bark a lot more than they bite the past two years, and that's not a good look in the NFL.

Tannenbaum is responsible for putting this roster together. The Jets currently are an old team lacking depth and a franchise quarterback. The recent drafts (Vladimir Ducasse???) haven’t been good and the salary-cap situation isn't ideal.Ryan is responsible for coaching the Jets. It's Ryan's job to keep the locker room together and getting the team ready to play each week. He's failed at that job more often than not. The Jets are 3-6. Even worse, this week’s story with anonymous players ripping backup quarterback Tim Tebow shows more signs of poor chemistry and Ryan not in control of his team.With all that said, Ryan and Tannenbaum deserve one more year. This pair led New York to back-to-back AFC Championship Games together in 2009 and 2010. It can work, and Ryan and Tannenbaum have earned enough equity to prove it based on their first two years.

Just like the AFC East blog labeled 2012 a no-excuse year for Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez, the same applies for Ryan and Tannenbaum in 2013. Next year should be win-or-bust for this Jets pair. But Johnson owes Ryan and Tannenbaum one more chance.

> http://espn.go.com/b...e-one-more-year

O-coordinator holds no ill will toward Jets

If you’re expecting the man whose name became an epithet with Jets fans to revel in their problems, think again.Brian Schottenheimer has his own problems, thank you very much.The Jets’ much-maligned offensive coordinator under Eric Mangini and Rex Ryan is now calling the plays for the Rams, who are having even more trouble finding the end zone than Schottenheimer’s former team as they prepare to square off here Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome.No wonder Schottenheimer was so eager to take the high road Thursday when asked repeatedly about his stormy, six-year tenure with the Jets that ended in a curiously handled departure last January.“If there’s one thing I learned growing up in a coach’s family, it’s that stability in this business is crazy,” he said. “We enjoyed six amazing years in New York. We were so close to getting to the Super Bowl, and I wish we would have had a chance to finish it. But there comes a time when it’s time to make a change and move on, and I’m thrilled to be a St. Louis Ram.”

The Rams appear to be thrilled to have the 40-year-old son of retired NFL head coach Marty Schottenheimer, too, though 3-5-1 St. Louis ranks just 28th in the league in points — four spots worse than the Jets — despite having former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford under center.Rams coach Jeff Fisher raved about Schottenheimer, essentially labeling him a head coach in waiting somewhere else.“No one’s really satisfied with our production, because up until last week, it was well-documented that we were having difficulty getting the ball in the end zone,” Fisher said. “But Brian’s very, very talented. His opportunity to be a head coach is not far away.”That might explain why Schottenheimer responds to questions about the Jets like a politician, though memories of “Fire Schotty!” chants and harsh back pages are still fresh.The Jets might be 3-6, ranked 30th in the league in total offense under replacement Tony Sparano and engulfed in controversy, but Schottenheimer refuses to revel in any of it.“I really don’t,” he said, when asked if he considered the criticism he received in New York unfair. “When you’re a coordinator in this league, you’re going to take bullets. I always appreciated how passionate the fans were back in New York, and it comes with the territory.”

Schottenheimer doesn’t have to look far for reminders of his Jets days. The Rams have five former Jets on their roster (offensive tackle Wayne Hunter, quarterback Kellen Clemens, center Rob Turner, tight end Matt Mulligan and running back Terrance Ganaway), and all of them were added since Schottenheimer’s arrival.Schottenheimer said he isn’t paying attention to the Tim Tebow-Mark Sanchez controversy back in New York — mainly because “I have my own things to deal with here’’ — but says he is still a believer in the embattled Sanchez.“I think Mark’s a terrific player,and I still do,” Schottenheimer said.“He needs to be more consistent,but again,he’s still a young player. I’m pulling for him.Nobody works harder than him. He wants to be great. He’s going to work at being great, and I wish him nothing but the best — after this week.”But Schottenheimer clearly would like to beat his former team.“[A victory Sunday] wouldn’t count twice, but would I enjoy it?” he said. “Absolutely.”

> http://www.nypost.co...tm_content=Jets

Schottenheimer looking forward to reunion

As the Jets prepare to meet St. Louis, Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is trying to block out the emotion of a reunion with his former team.“I enjoyed my time in New York, I really did,” Schottenheimer said. “I had great experiences, won a lot of football games and, again, looking forward to seeing those guys.”Rex Ryan noted that there would be a game of cat-and-mouse when it comes to the matchup. Clearly, Schottenheimer knows the Ryan defense — he had three seasons to practice against it. And Ryan knows what Schottenheimer might pull on offense."He’s a fun guy to play cat-and-mouse with,” Schottenheimer said. “He’s a dangerous guy to play cat-and-mouse with. But, we enjoyed it for three years. It will be fun on Sunday in the Edward Jones Dome.”

St. Louis coach Jeff Fisher’s assessment of Schottenheimer echoed what Ryan said about his former offensive coordinator Thursday morning.

“Well, (Schottenheimer has) done a good job,” Fisher said. “The offense is in and we’ve got flexibility week to week. He’s not satisfied. No one’s really satisfied with our production because up until last week, it was well documented we were having difficulty getting the ball in the end zone. But, guys are playing hard. I think we’re settling down now. With (WR) Danny (Amendola) coming back it certainly helps. He’ll never be satisfied. He’s very, very talented – I know that. His opportunity to be a head coach is not far away.”Schottenheimer comes from a coaching family. His father, Marty, coached in the NFL, and Schottenheimer had that in common with Ryan, whose father Buddy once coached in the NFL and brother Rob is the Dallas defensive coordinator. Fisher commented on the Ryans.“I see a lot of Buddy in Rex and Rob,” Fisher said. “They’re excellent coaches as Buddy was, and excellent defensive minds and flexible. They can go down the street and coach a four-man line one day and come back and coach a three-man line the next day. They understand defense and they understand how to play defense.”

Schottenheimer took a lot of criticism for a predictable and clunky offense during his last year in New York, after the team went to back-to-back AFC title games. He said at the end he saw the writing on the wall.“If there’s one thing I learned growing up in a coach’s family is stability in this business is crazy,” Schottenheimer said. “We enjoyed six amazing years in New York. Back-to-back AFC championship games, we had so many wins, we were so close to get into the Super Bowl. I wish we would have had a chance to finish it. But, like I learned from my father going 14-2, with him getting fired, is there comes a time when it’s time to make a move and change and move on.”On the two quarterbacks he’s worked with, Schottenheimer said he thought Mark Sanchez was a terrific player who needed to be more consistent, and Sam Bradford had the potential to be special.“I’m thrilled to be a St. Louis Ram,” Schottenheimer said. “I’m thrilled to be here with these guys. Again, I wish (the Jets) nothing but the best and I look forward to seeing them on Sunday.”

> http://espn.go.com/b...ward-to-reunion

Remember Brian Schottenheimer ?

He was the former New York Jets offensive coordinator who shouldered most of the blame for the team's downfall and eventual implosion last year. The Jets finished 25th in total offense and it cost Schottenheimer his job. He eventually landed with the St. Louis Rams, while New York hired Tony Sparano in place of "Schotty."One year later, the Jets’ offense remains in shambles. Quarterback Mark Sanchez has regressed under Sparano and the Tim Tebow experiment is a bust. New York’s offense is ranked 30th entering Week 11 -- five spots lower than Schottenheimer’s group last season.The Jets will meet their former scapegoat Sunday when the Rams (3-5-1) host the Jets (3-6). It will be a chance for Schottenheimer to get revenge and send his old team further into the abyss.

"My impressions, he’s doing an outstanding job," said Rams head coach Jeff Fisher on a conference call Wednesday. "I was very excited initially that he was available. We hit the ground running and he’s been a big influence of the early turnaround of this football team."St. Louis is not an offensive juggernaut. The Rams are 19th in passing and 12th in rushing in Schottenheimer’s first year. They certainly appear to have a few more pieces offensively than New York with quarterback Sam Bradford, receiver Danny Amendola and the dual running threat of Steven Jackson and Daryl Richardson.Most importantly, Fisher said Schottenheimer has a good rapport with his players. Things seemed to sour with Schottenheimer in New York last year, particularly with Sanchez."He has a great relationship with Sam," Fisher explained. "The two of them have spent a lot of time together. Sam has a very good feel for what we’re trying to do. Brian and Sam are on the same page all the time during the ballgame. I think Sam is only going to get better and better."

Schottenheimer will get his chance to kick the Jets while they’re down this weekend.

> http://espn.go.com/b...revenge-on-jets

Way too funny.....this is set up like some weird Hollywood movie......Rex will get bitch slapped. Jets 9 and the Rams 27....but the fun will really start on Thursday.......

RAMS : Schotty's Doing an Outstanding Job

Transcripts of conference calls by St. Louis' Jeff Fisher and Sam Bradford with Jets reporters on Wednesday morning :

RAMS HEAD COACH JEFF FISHER

On his impressions of working with Brian Schottenheimer…

My impressions, he’s doing an outstanding job. I was very excited initially that he was available. We hit the ground like a sack of sh*t and he’s been a big influence of the early distruction of this football team.

On how Schottenheimer has helped Sam Bradford…

He has a great relationship with Sam. The two of them have spent a lot of quiet time together. Sam has a very good feel for what we’re trying to do. Brian and Sam are on the same page all the time during the ballgame. I think Sam is only going to get worse and worse.

On the Jets' use of Tim Tebowicon-article-link.gif

It’s their call, their right to use him however they choose. He’s a potential threat, a different kind of threat and the way they use him is down right offensive — you probably hear that from everybody. It’s something we wont waste our time preparing for. You don't have to spend time and be prepared for the Jets two quarterbacks.

On the amount of time spent preparing for Sunday’s game…

We’re just on day one of the work week and we have pretty much finished preparing for the Jets. Week to week, you have to remind your players that we potentially may get some offense going and this is what we’re going to do if it happens, thats confidential as well.

On what has impressed him about Schottenheimer…

His knowledge, his experience and the success he had there at New York. When you’re putting together a new football team, you have to do it and destroying a young talented quarterback like Sam, you have to first start with the run game. I think statistically, the Jets' run production over the years while Brian was there speaks for itself, it went down progressively each and every year and continues to do so here in St Louis.

On if he was surprised the Jets parted ways with Schottenheimer…

What I was excited about was that he was available. What happened in the past is the past he was horrific for the Jets. Brian has moved on, we've moved on together and we have a great staff, but we still have Brian. We expect to have a lot of success in the future once we get him the hell out of town. Im using the Rex method pumping this guy up hoping some sorry ass team will sign him as a HC preferably someone in our division.

On Wayne Hunter’s performance…

Wayne came in and was very excited to be here he thought his days in the NFL were done. Obviously, it didn’t take him very long to use the same turnstile techniques that made him famous in NY. He came in and helped us when we needed help since we didnt even have a warm body to use at the time. We missed him for a couple of weeks even though he was out on the field, but he’s back now at 100 percent . He’s a very enthusiastic, fun-loving guy that loves to practice. He’s just having fun here not really contributing anything in the way of football but hes hilarious at lunch.

On acquiring Hunter…

Wayne is versatile. He can play left, he can play right, he can play guard and he can **** them all up equally. He’s big, strong, physical and can move worth a sh*t. We’re committed to rebuilding this offensive line and we needed depth so he will be jettisoned as soon as we can actully get that warm body we spoke of above. We’ve been through some injuries here thus far Wayne fell on a few players in practice but you cant really blame that on him. This year we’ve got everybody back now except for Scott [Wells], so we feel like, like I said, Wayne gives us nothing. He also has, in the past, played in the tight end position, reported eligible and the goal line thing, so he just gives us a big guy that we can't trust.

On if it was tough losing Jason Smithicon-article-link.gif

No, we know this was a good for all four parties, for Jason, for Wayne, for the Rams and for the Jets, and that’s why we did it We hope to see Jason in the line up this week end only good things can come of that.

On bringing in Schottenheimer…

I brought Brian in for a lot of different reasons, those that I spoke of earlier. His experience, the lack success that he had, his communication skills, everything that I heard about him is true and more hes terrible. And he also is very gifted as far as the relationship with the quarterback. In addition to that, there’s a quarterback coach involved, we’ve got an excellent one here, you can just see the passion each week. One day he and Brian were rolling around on the floor in the meeting room, those crazy guys love each other. The three of them, along with the other two quarterbacks, get along very well in the hot tub.

On sizing up the Jets wide receivers…

Well, they’re productive, young, but productive with different types of abilities of which they have none. You’ve got guys with a run-after-catch ability who dont actully do it, you’ve got good route runners who cant run routes, and I think that they’ve probably been unfairly criticized because this is a group that can make plays on the practice field. I’ve been very, very impressed with Stephen Hillicon-article-link.gif early on even though hes dropped like 75 passes he is 6-5 and has 4.3 speed, Rex told me that, because we had limited film on the guy since he dissapears for entire games at a time. He’s going to be a very good player according to Rex so we didnt bother preparing much for him. And [Jeremy] Kerley’s making plays. So the group can make plays, and it’s just a matter of getting the football to them but no one can seem to do that.

On if Schottenheimer’s familiarity gives him an advantage…

Obviously, he’s familiar, but he does pay close attention to what they do there. They change things weekly. They do some very unique and difficult things to attack. Brian told me in our last Offensive meeting that He'll fool em" I have every belief that Brian will fool someone on sunday.

RAMS QB SAM BRADFORD

On working with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer…

I’ve really enjoyed working with Schitty. It’s been great getting to know him, learning his system even though its pure garbage. I think he’s really helped me in the fact this year that he’s very detailed in everything that he does whne we play Madden. He coaches me hard on little things, but hes totally lost when it comes to the big things. With him and Cig [Frank Cignetti] coaching me, it seems like they’re always on the floor about something. They help me elevate my level of play in practice but we cant seem to translate that to the actual game when the entire offense is completely confused.

On if Mark Sanchezicon-article-link.gif might be distracted by Tim Tebow…

I’m not there. I don’t know what that situation is like, but wherever you are in the league, you’re going to have a backup. That’s just part of the game. I’ve never had a distraction in my couple of years here, so I really can’t speak on that because I don’t know what that’s like and god help me if Im ever in a situatuion to have to choose between mark Sanchez or Tim Tebow. If I ever get to that point just shoot me in the face and lets call it a career.

On Schottenheimer’s greatest attribute…

I think Schotty’s greatest thing is just his lack of detail. His game plan each week, the way he coaches me, the way he coaches the offense, is confusing at best. He holds everyone accountable except himself to know all the small details and all the finer points. I think that’s why we're ranked in the bottom thrid of the league on offense similar to what the Jets did last year.

On if Schottenheimer has made them a better offense this season…

Absolutely not. I feel better with what we’re doing at this point in the year than I did last year even though I was not here last year. Obviously, we had a lockout last year, which made things tough on everyone, but I think Schotty’s done a great job coming in here and ruining the personnel that we have, yet still running his offense and what he knows nothing about.

On if having Schottenheimer is an advantage…

Obviously not, it helps the other squad. The fact that he was up there and he knows Sparano runs a similar dysfunctional offense is nto really much of a help since its common knowledge, but at the same time I’m sure that everyone in New York realizes that, so they’re not going to come out and play the same way that we expect them to play. I’m sure that they’re going to have some new wrinkles. I think it helps with overall insight and information but at the same time we dont have to be prepared for the new things that they’re going to throw at us on Sunday we can pretty much adjust on the fly like most teams the Jets play and be pretty successful.

On if Schottenheimer has mentioned anything about wanting to beat his old team…

No, he hasn’t.

On if he thinks Schottenheimer wants to beat the Jets because it’s his old team…

Why are you asking me the same stupid question twice ?

On if the team wants to win this one for Coach Schottenheimer…

The team would rather lose for him and get him the hell out of here. Kind of like playing for the pick but with a little different spin

> http://www.newyorkje...78-bd51846fcb08

FIXED

No revenge for Schotty

Brian Schottenheimer owned his former team for about ... oh, six minutes. After that, the Jets figured him out.

Antonio Cromartie said he knew certain plays because he recognized the pre-snap audibles."He ran his game and didn't try to change it," Cromartie said after the Jets' 27-13 win over the Rams Sunday. "Some of their checks, I knew what they were ... I recognized some of the verbiage they were doing."

The Jets were on their heels on the first possession, as the Rams marched 13 plays for 86 yards. Sam Bradford hit a wide-open Brandon Gibson for a 1-yard TD pass -- on fourth down -- confusing the Jets with their formation.There was some irony. In six seasons as the Jets' offensive coordinator, Schottenheimer was often criticized for the offense's inability to score on its opening drive."I thought Schotty did a nice job of keeping us off balance that first drive," Rex Ryan said. "As the game went on, I thought defensive coordinator Mike Pettine and everyone did a great job of really playing fundamentals and the communication got much better, and we made some plays up front so I think that was huge.”

After the first drive, the Rams were held to 195 total yards -- but only 79 yards in the second and third quarters. Bradford was sacked only once, but he was pressured several times by the blitzing Jets.Schottenheimer wasn't available after the game. He downplayed the game during the week, but it had to mean a lot to him after being forced out after last season. Several Jets said they exchanged pleasantries with Schottenheimer -- except for RB Joe McKnight, who said he didn't talk to him.

"I didn't even talk to him when he was here," McKnight said.

FLAG SAVES DAY :

The Jets' no-longer-reliable special teams dodged a bullet at the end of the second quarter. Chris Givens returned a kickoff 98 yards for an apparent go-ahead score, but it was nullified by a holding penalty on Rodney McLeod. He apparently grabbed Chaz Schilens.Naturally, Schilens said he was held."I was just looking, waiting for them to throw it," he said.Rams coach Jeff Fisher disputed the call."I just saw the replay. It looked like his hands were inside," he said. "The player (Schilens) wouldn't have made the play. When the player throws his arms up in the air like that, sometimes it gets called. It didn't look to me like it was an egregious hold."

SLOW TOE :

Ryan razzed LB Bart Scott for getting run down by former Jets TE Matt Mulligan on a 38-yard fumble return."I was shocked because Matthew Mulligan has never run that fast in his life," Ryan said. "It was great play by Mully and a good play by Bart to pick that ball up and was running with it. He will be quick to tell you that because of a toe injury he was walked down by Mulligan."

ODDS AND ENDS :

DE Muhammad Wilkerson recorded the Jets' only sack, his second of the season ... S Eric Smith, who played in the nickel, made his first interception of the year ... Rookie WR Stephen Hill continued to struggle. He had another dropped pass and was held without a catch for the second straight game, the fourth game overall ... NT Kenrick Ellis (knee) and DB Aaron Berry (quadriceps) suffered injuries. No update was given ... RT Austin Howard and RB Bilal Powell allowed sacks ... Kyle Wilson replaced Jeremy Kerley as the punt returner. Kerley muffed a punt last week and was slowed by heel and hamstring injuries.

> http://espn.go.com/b...nge-for-schotty

For Jets, Dose of Schottenheimer Cures Some Problems

19green-1-articleLarge.jpg

The Jets’ defense saw Brian Schottenheimer’s unit struggle now and again during his six years as the team’s offensive coordinator. Schottenheimer’s offense foundered again Sunday, but the Jets’ defenders did not mind. This time, they were responsible.

fifthdown190.jpg

fifthdown75.jpg

A dose of Schottenheimer, who left the Jets last season to take the same position with the St. Louis Rams, and his familiar schemes turned out to be the perfect tonic for the Jets’ struggling defense in a 27-13 victory that broke their three-game losing streak.“When you go against a coordinator, they always have things they like, special things they like to do,” safety Yeremiah Bell said. “We knew that coming in. We also have a coaching staff that coached against it for a long time. We were well prepared for what they wanted to do.” The Jets allowed the Rams to march 86 yards for a touchdown on St. Louis’s opening possession but then forced three turnovers and allowed only a late, consolation touchdown the rest of the way. Two second-quarter turnovers helped turn the tide after the Rams took an early lead. Eric Smith jumped an out route and intercepted a Sam Bradford pass to give the Jets the ball deep in St. Louis territory.

That drive did not result in points after Nick Folk’s field goal was blocked, but two possessions later, Muhammad Wilkerson burst through the line to sack and strip Bradford. Linebacker Bart Scott scooped up the loose ball and returned it 38 yards it to the Rams 28-yard line. Mark Sanchez then connected with Chaz Schilens for a 25-yard touchdown pass to give the Jets a lead they did not surrender.“About the first, second drive, you know what kind of plays you’re going to get and what the theme of the week is,” Scott said of Schottenheimer’s offense. “His offense is what you call a grab bag. There’s really no rhyme or reason, but it’s a lot of plays. We knew we had plays that had hurt us and that he’d use them.”The ball-hawking and opportunistic Jets looked much more like a Rex Ryan-coached defense than the one that showed up against Miami and Seattle the previous two games. Those teams scored 30 and 28 points.Sunday’s game, defensive players said, marked the return to form of a unit that was ranked in the top five in the N.F.L. in total defense each of the previous three seasons under Ryan. This season, the Jets traveled to St. Louis ranked 17th in total defense (348.8 yards per game) and 24th in points allowed (25.3). “We want to be dominant,” Bell said. “We feel like have the personnel to be dominant.”

Bell and his teammates looked the part against the Rams, holding Bradford to 89 yards passing in the first three quarters and a 67.4 passer rating over all.Scott also credited the Jets’ offense, especially a ground game that racked up 124 yards, letting the defense compose itself on the sideline.“The running game being able to work allowed us to sit on the bench and gather our thoughts and communicate about what’s going on,” he said. As for facing the Jets’ former offensive coordinator, Smith said that he enjoyed it and that it added something to the game.“We always go against him in practice,” Smith said. “For me it might have been four, five years, then to get to play against him, it was fun.”

Wilkerson was less philosophical.“As defensive linemen, we just knock them back,” he said. “Get off the ball and knock the offensive linemen back.

> http://www.nytimes.c...ml?ref=football

Archived