Muhammad Wilkerson

JetsFanInDenver

I actually think Wilkerson is better against the run, but otherwise the Ellis comparisons are dead-on in that the old "sacks come in bunches" cliche rings true for both of them. Somebody (can't remember who) made the astute point that, like Ellis, Wilkerson would probably be a star if he'd played 20 years ago. I still think he can improve against the pass, but he does seem destined for a career in which he makes like eight of those PFF Pro Bowl teams but only two actual Pro Bowls.

I'm not sure he'll ever rush the passer like Ellis. He's really not that type of player. He's a wreak havoc type player who because of his motor is going to find himself in position to make plays. Whether that's in the passing game or the run game will be more predicated on the style of game they are in than anything. He's not a, pin your ears back type player. He's a, get in there and blow sh*t up type player. Which is awesome when you have a 2nd level who can take advantage of that.

Coples too. He blows some plays up, has quite a few TFL's or just stuffs. I've watched both of them stand 2 OLmen up at the same time just waiting for someone to come in and make a play. Unfortunately, if its not Landry or someone from the secondary, it usually doesnt matter because our LB'ers at that slow.

I think both players are providing what they were drafted for...though I thought we'd see a little more pass rush out of Coples. So far, they look like very similar players.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think Wilkerson is better against the run, but otherwise the Ellis comparisons are dead-on in that the old "sacks come in bunches" cliche rings true for both of them. Somebody (can't remember who) made the astute point that, like Ellis, Wilkerson would probably be a star if he'd played 20 years ago. I still think he can improve against the pass, but he does seem destined for a career in which he makes like eight of those PFF Pro Bowl teams but only two actual Pro Bowls.

I think he'll be Justin Smith lite when all is said and done. Like Smith he's versatile to still make a difference inside when they go 4-down and I think the signs of a similar, very gradual progression from now until his 4th-5th year is in the Cards. IMO he's only at about 65% of the player he'll be by the time he's into his second contract and he doesn't strike me as the type that will cash out and then all of a sudden not give a sh*t.

I think he'll be Justin Smith lite when all is said and done. Like Smith he's versatile to still make a difference inside when they go 4-down and I think the signs of a similar, very gradual progression from now until his 4th-5th year is in the Cards. IMO he's only at about 65% of the player he'll be by the time he's into his second contract and he doesn't strike me as the type that will cash out and then all of a sudden not give a sh*t.

Yeah, taking another look at the PFF chart, I think I was aiming low. The numbers say he's having a very similar year to Smith, so that's probably a better comp. I think JiF is right too in that Wilkerson is more disruptive than Ellis ever was. Ditto Coples. They're regularly standing up guards or blowing them three yards into the backfield. Then the LBs just stand there while the runner walks through the hole for 4. It makes me a sad panda.

Yeah, taking another look at the PFF chart, I think I was aiming low. The numbers say he's having a very similar year to Smith, so that's probably a better comp. I think JiF is right too in that Wilkerson is more disruptive than Ellis ever was. Ditto Coples. They're regularly standing up guards or blowing them three yards into the backfield. Then the LBs just stand there while the runner walks through the hole for 4. It makes me a sad panda.

Justin Smith seems like a good comparison; towards the beginning of the season I bouncing between a young Brett Kiesel and a little Shaun Ellis. All three of those guys remind me of each other, while standing out in their own way. I'd give my left nut for a navaro bowman; an ILB like that dramatically changes the play of this defense.

Hopefully Davis turns into a player. He's got instincts, it just looks like he's not trusting them as much as he should. A step late here and there, but you can see the speed difference when he's on the field. The unfortunate part is that Harris is locked up on a ridiculous contract so they wont be targeting his replacement this offseason...but if they dont look to upgrade Thomas and Pace, I might kill Tanny myself. Again, with different LB'ers, I think this defense could be really good and would look a lot different..that and the return of Revis. ****er changes everything.

Offense? lol

He's part of the reason I had to laugh earlier this week when I saw so many people saying that Mangold was the only player on the team worth keeping. Despite their struggles, it's insane to suggest that Mangold is the only guy on the team worth keeping.

If the team were to go 5-11 with the entire FO fired, yeah I forgot about Mo. But...consider they would be rebuilding, which non-rookie with a contract more than $2M per would you want to keep?

1. Mangold

2. Mo

3. D'Brick?

I'd cut Pace, Scott, J. Smith, E. Smith, Sanchez, try and trade Pouha, Cro and Revis, look to renegotiate, trade or cut Harris and Holmes. Kyle Wilson is basically uncuttable and un-tradable. Last but not least would be to decide what to do with Tebow....That's your big hitters in terms of the cap.

Not too far fetched or unimaginable imo.

If the team were to go 5-11 with the entire FO fired, yeah I forgot about Mo. But...consider they would be rebuilding, which non-rookie with a contract more than $2M per would you want to keep?

1. Mangold

2. Mo

3. D'Brick?

I'd cut Pace, Scott, J. Smith, E. Smith, Sanchez, try and trade Pouha, Cro and Revis, look to renegotiate, trade or cut Harris and Holmes. Kyle Wilson is basically uncuttable and un-tradable. Last but not least would be to decide what to do with Tebow....That's your big hitters in terms of the cap.

Wilson and Tebow aren't much against the cap. Don't expect much to be done with Holmes, Sanchez, or anybody else in their last year.

2014, this team will be out of cap hell, and can start over.......

BD

Wilson and Tebow aren't much against the cap. Don't expect much to be done with Holmes, Sanchez, or anybody else in their last year.

2014, this team will be out of cap hell, and can start over.......

BD

Yeah, in terms of Wilson and Tebow, that's basically what I said, as I was speaking for the player $2M and over per 2013. Er, Sanchez's contract goes until 2016, Holmes 2015.

And yeah I'd expect changes with an entirely new FO.

Yeah, in terms of Wilson and Tebow, that's basically what I said, as I was speaking for the player $2M and over per 2013. Er, Sanchez's contract goes until 2016, Holmes 2015.

And yeah I'd expect changes with an entirely new FO.

Those final years in their deals don't mean anything. These guys WILL be cut in 2014. Those contracts are designed to be torn up after next year

They save money against the cap if cut after next year, so why extend or reneg? It's bad cap management......

BD

Those final years in their deals don't mean anything. These guys WILL be cut in 2014. Those contracts are designed to be torn up after next year

They save money against the cap if cut after next year, so why extend or reneg? It's bad cap management......

BD

I said cut Sanchez outright. It's a 4M hit in 2013 and probably worth it considering we are talking in the context of new management. Holmes I'd probably cut, but willing to trade for a late round pick if possible. Along with Harris, he is however the only other guy I'd be willing to possibly renegotiate with, if he were willing to play by the new FO's rules. Where I differentiate Holmes from the other players I'd outright cut is, Holmes is still relatively young and talented. If I could significantly lower his 2014 and 2015 cap ($10M), which I know he's not getting on the open market (if cut), I'd be willing to talk...but I never said extend.

I said cut Sanchez outright. It's a 4M hit in 2013 and probably worth it considering we are talking in the context of new management. Holmes I'd probably cut, but willing to trade for a late round pick if possible. Along with Harris, he is however the only other guy I'd be willing to possibly renegotiate with, if he were willing to play by the new FO's rules. Where I differentiate Holmes from the other players I'd outright cut is, Holmes is still relatively young and talented. If I could significantly lower his 2014 and 2015 cap ($10M), which I know he's not getting on the open market (if cut), I'd be willing to talk...but I never said extend.

It's not a $4M hit, you still have to count his $8M guaranteed salary against your cap, so it's $12M.

Unless, you find someone dumb enough to give him $8M for next year.

Maybe you can split the costs with somebody, and they'll pay him $4M (Still next to impossible), but $8M is a lot to pay someone not to be there. And as you can see, the team still sees him as somewhat useful, in lieu of the options.....

I'd have GMC compete for the job next year, and have Sanchez back him up, if he can win it.....

BD

1. Mangold

2. Mo

3. D'Brick?

Browns' fans get no vote in the running of the Jets. You have your own team to worry about.

It's not a $4M hit, you still have to count his $8M guaranteed salary against your cap, so it's $12M.

Unless, you find someone dumb enough to give him $8M for next year.

Maybe you can split the costs with somebody, and they'll pay him $4M (Still next to impossible), but $8M is a lot to pay someone not to be there. And as you can see, the team still sees him as somewhat useful, in lieu of the options.....

I'd have GMC compete for the job next year, and have Sanchez back him up, if he can win it.....

BD

The 8M is guaranteed? I don't think so but not sure. Thought the guaranteed $ was in his signing bonus? Sure Jason would know. Either way the team may be better off just cutting ties, take the hit plus -4M towards cap. Either way that extension was horrendous.

The 8M is guaranteed? I don't think so but not sure. Thought the guaranteed $ was in his signing bonus? Sure Jason would know. Either way the team may be better off just cutting ties, take the hit plus -4M towards cap. Either way that extension was horrendous.

That 2 year extension wasn't designed to be broken. He's there next year, juts like he's here this year

Just like Santonio is here.....

Nobody is losing 10% of the cap in dead money. That's the only thing worse than playing him!

BD

That 2 year extension wasn't designed to be broken. He's there next year, juts like he's here this year

Just like Santonio is here.....

Nobody is losing 10% of the cap in dead money. That's the only thing worse than playing him!

BD

The 8M was in signing bonus prorated through the two year extension. Hence 4M, not 8M, against the 2013 cap, no?

Base salary is voided.

The 8M was in signing bonus prorated through the two year extension. Hence 4M, not 8M, against the 2013 cap, no?

Base salary is voided.

No.

His salary is $8M next season, whether he plays for the Jets or not. It is guaranteed money.

The prorated $4M makes a $12M cap hit.

Got it?

BD

No.

His salary is $8M next season, whether he plays for the Jets or not. It is guaranteed money.

The prorated $4M makes a $12M cap hit.

Got it?

BD

Actually, no. Base salary doesn't equate into cap hits if cut, as it is not guaranteed. His cap hit is $4.3M if cut in 2013. Pretty sure this is due to his 8M signing bonus being prorated. Anyone smarter than BD or I want to chime in here.

Actually, no. Base salary doesn't equate into cap hits if cut, as it is not guaranteed. His cap hit is $4.3M if cut in 2013. Pretty sure this is due to his 8M signing bonus being prorated. Anyone smarter than BD or I want to chime in here.

His $8M next year IS guaranteed! And his remaining signing bonus is the rest of the cap hit.

If you cut him, you are only paying $8M next year, but his cap charge is $12M.

What part of that didn't you get?

BD

Why is it so hard for people on this ****ing site to give any credit to a player on the team? When we lose, it's "they suck, cut them all". When we win, it's "the other team sucks". That same team that just played the Niners tough enough to tie them. That same Niners team that beat the sh*t out of the Jets earlier in the year. Wilkerson had a good game. Why does it hurt people so much to admit it? Don't worry, we'll still remember you hate the team.

He doesn't get credit because he has been mediocre to this point. Some see mediocrity as a great thing because more jets are below average players than above average. I'll rave about Wilkerson when he takes over a game. I'll rave about couples when he has a dominant series or two, or a game with multiple sacks. But they aren't doing that. Watch other teams and see what good to excellent players achieve. And you'll realize that we have nothing to write. Home about in the talent dept. still, I think Wilkerson can be a player. He just hasn't done much to date.

Archived