SHOULD we be happy we won?

Jetsfan80

Sunday's victory proved one thing about this Jets team. We're not one of the dregs of the league. We're still more than capable of manhandling the teams we're SUPPOSED to beat. The young teams that are still a year away (Rams & Colts), or the teams that are just plain bad (Bills). Rex Ryan has taken heat, and rightfully so, but his defense simply isn't weak enough to allow this team to tank.

So where does that leave us? Somewhere in the range of 6 to 8 wins when all is said and done. A middle-of-the-pack draft pick, and perhaps a season that leaves Woody little reason to make sweeping changes.

It's a precarious position. You just can't ROOT for losses as a fan, but when they happen in a season like this, you CAN see the silver lining that may come from them when it comes to the long-term future of the franchise.

To me, a win like the one on Sunday just povides a hollow feeling. A season with some promise dashed for a multitude of reasons (primarily the GM and the QB he handpicked) makes the victories we get going forward pretty much meaningless. We're not making the playoffs (barring a miracle), much less contending for a Super Bowl.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy is a strong word, but I am happier that they won. You guys want to point to the losing streak as "Rex losing the team". Only thing is, he hasn't lost them. You ARE rooting for losses. Tons of you guys are. I don't think it makes you less of a fan, but I think you lie to us all when you pretend that you are not rooting for them to lose and then act like it's a bad thing that they won.

To me, a win like the one on Sunday just povides a hollow feeling.

Agreed, mainly because I'm terrified of this:

A middle-of-the-pack draft pick, and perhaps a season that leaves Woody little reason to make sweeping changes.

I can't shake this sickening feeling that everyone is coming back next year.

Happy is a strong word, but I am happier that they won. You guys want to point to the losing streak as "Rex losing the team". Only thing is, he hasn't lost them. You ARE rooting for losses. Tons of you guys are. I don't think it makes you less of a fan, but I think you lie to us all when you pretend that you are not rooting for them to lose and then act like it's a bad thing that they won.

Rex definitely hasn't lost the team, which is the # 1 reason why he's the only one of the Tannenbaum-Rex-Sanchez trio I'd like to have back.

As for the 2nd part, its definitely a mixed feeling. On gameday, I can't help but root for the team to win. Watching the game with a Rams fan, it gave me great joy beating his team.

That doesn't mean its necessarily a GOOD THING for the franchise.

Sunday's victory proved one thing about this Jets team. We're not one of the dregs of the league. We're still more than capable of manhandling the teams we're SUPPOSED to beat. The young teams that are still a year away (Rams & Colts), or the teams that are just plain bad (Bills). Rex Ryan has taken heat, and rightfully so, but his defense simply isn't weak enough to allow this team to tank.

So where does that leave us? Somewhere in the range of 6 to 8 wins when all is said and done. A middle-of-the-pack draft pick, and perhaps a season that leaves Woody little reason to make sweeping changes.

It's a precarious position. You just can't ROOT for losses as a fan, but when they happen in a season like this, you CAN see the silver lining that may come from them when it comes to the long-term future of the franchise.

To me, a win like the one on Sunday just povides a hollow feeling. A season with some promise dashed for a multitude of reasons (primarily the GM and the QB he handpicked) makes the victories we get going forward pretty much meaningless. We're not making the playoffs (barring a miracle), much less contending for a Super Bowl.

If we beat the Pats we will end up in the playoffs.

Rex has not lost this team.

People seem to want to make this to be that "not losing the team" somehow means some great coaching feat.

If Rex HAD lost the team, he should be fired TODAY.

Just because this group cobbled together a win over a pathetic team, is not any tribute to a great coach. It more a denigration of what is a lousy Ram team that was emotionally spent after they poured their souls into an OT game.

Let me see Rex conjure up a win against a Pats team at home-At least that would give us some meat to chew on.

Rex definitely hasn't lost the team, which is the # 1 reason why he's the only one of the Tannenbaum-Rex-Sanchez trio I'd like to have back.

As for the 2nd part, its definitely a mixed feeling. On gameday, I can't help but root for the team to win. Watching the game with a Rams fan, it gave me great joy beating his team.

That doesn't mean its necessarily a GOOD THING for the franchise.

At this point, the Jags and the Chiefs are battling for 1st overall. Panthers, Browns, Raiders, Rams, Eagles - all those teams are going to have the same record. Jets will have more wins more than likely than all those teams. Leaving us with the middle of the pack pick which is fine because the draft sucks next year. If you dont have a shot at Jones, then why bother?

I think more good comes from winning game in the 2nd half of the season than losing does because of the lack of top flight prospect next season. If you can win 6 out of your last 8, thats good momentum to carry into next season (possibly even a playoff push) and it means you're getting an honest assessment of the team. Plus it puts to rest this fractured locker room bull sh*t the media is trying to stir up.

the idea that losing makes the team better is terribly flawed. Losing guarantees very little. It doesn't guarantee that the next head coach/quarterback/off coordinator or GM will be better. It doesn't guarantee that the draft will save the franchise. In fact, the only thing it does guarantee is that a culture of losing will accumulate, like sludge on a dirty windshield. Winning is always always always better than losing. This isn't the NBA, there's no Lebron that will save the franchise.

and by the way looking at the schedule, if they beat the Pats on Thursday they will be 5-6 and well within reach of the playoffs.

People seem to want to make this to be that "not losing the team" somehow means some great coaching feat.

Just because this group cobbled together a win over a pathetic team, is not any tribute to a great coach. It more a denigration of what is a lousy Ram team that was emotionally spent after they poured their souls into an OT game.

Let me see Rex conjure up a win against a Pats team at home-At least that would give us some meat to chew on.

If Rex had a QB, he would have conjured up a road win vs. the Pats.

I still wonder how he's failed to meet your expectations as a HC. Did he spit in your food?

he does not know leadership. He thinks leadership is slapping "C"s on guys jerseys. he told us that he lost the locker room last year. So what happens this year-Guys go off on their own to the media-regardless of what it means to the team.

He manhandles game situations like a novice. His team can not shuttle in and out of formations and personnel without calling times out. he has a "run first" mentality in a passing era ;league. He is behind the times.

Other than that, he is just great

Compared to losing, winning was the happier (if not happy) alternative.

The WAY they won shows that the team has NOT given up on Rex, that Rex has not "lost" the locker room, as so many in the media and so many fans are eager to believe.

It also means we have a chance this year. However small, we have a chance. It makes the Patriots game relevant. I like that.

I understand the frustration of being a team without a Superbowl for as long as they've been without....but sometimes I think that colors our interaction with *reality*. This regime, in 3 years didn't have a losing season... and this 4th season isn't over yet, either, so who knows? I'm not getting rid of an entire regime if they don't even have a single losing season.

Souls? OT? Sounds like the Jets might have had a reason for a let down after the Pats game, no?

They ALL need to go.

Doesn't answer the question. At all. How you can blame Rex above those clowns is remarkable. He's known league-wide as a great defensive coach. Tannenbaum and Sanchez are known around the league as being complete morons.

Is f***ing incredible how many games Rex has won with those 2. It really is.

Souls? OT? Sounds like the Jets might have had a reason for a let down after the Pats game, no?

Against Miami? If the Jets suffered a let down after an OT game against a divisional foe, with a bye coming up, that is more of a direct indictment against Rex.

The Jets, unlike the Rams were supposed to be good this year. How do we know? Rex told us so.

Doesn't answer the question. At all. How you can blame Rex above those clowns is remarkable. He's known league-wide as a great defensive coach. Tannenbaum and Sanchez are known around the league as being complete morons.

Is f***ing incredible how many games Rex has won with those 2. It really is.

Just last week, you were on this board saying Rex needed to go also. Now, after a win against the Rams you flop the other way?

Piece of work

YAY, the Jets beat the Rams. Let's plan the victory route for the parade.

he does not know leadership. He thinks leadership is slapping "C"s on guys jerseys. he told us that he lost the locker room last year. So what happens this year-Guys go off on their own to the media-regardless of what it means to the team.

He manhandles game situations like a novice. His team can not shuttle in and out of formations and personnel without calling times out. he has a "run first" mentality in a passing era ;league. He is behind the times.

Other than that, he is just great

That wonderful word "if".

If Rex had a brain, he would be abetter coach too.

Rex doesnt have a brain? Its amazing he conjured up games plans to stop the 2 best QB's of the generation in back to back road games with the likes of Mark Sanchez as his QB.

Its going to suck for you next year when Rex is back as the HC/Leader of the Jets.

Against Miami? If the Jets suffered a let down after an OT game against a divisional foe, with a bye coming up, that is more of a direct indictment against Rex.

The Jets, unlike the Rams were supposed to be good this year. How do we know? Rex told us so.

...but not Jeff Fisher?

OMG! The coach said we'd be good and we have a losing record! Fire him! He lied!

It's truly a torn state of mind ... after the Phins and Seattle's buggerings ... you want to see the whole thing gutted and get adamant that the only way to insure that is total implosion.

Then you see a game where the O line still 75% sucked but Sanchez played guarded and got the 2 scores necessary for this team to win.

The D is doing what it needed to do with Revis out and for the future - put pressure on the quarterback. We've drafted to that formula and now are slowly implementing it.

Even if we build on what we did yesterday and make the post season, Tanny still needs to go, Sanchez will have to make vast improvements in concentration and accuracy, and we will have to get rid of some contracts to obtain some offensive weapons as we really don't have any and the on the roster along with scant few that might develop.

Archived