Dustin Keller is up for a new contract. Yes or No to Dustin Keller?

BlackDynamite

He won't come cheap, and he's the only receiver, besides Kerley, mark likes throwing the ball to, because he's pretty reliable catching it.

In his first 3 years he had about 45 receptions in year 1, 55 in Year 2, and 65 last year, where he had similar production to Vernon davis and Antonio Gates. He's obviously been hurt this season.

Jets have the cap space to sign him, given 2014 they have few obligations, so the can structure a deal that is light on the cap in 2013.

I say sign him, provided it's nothing outrageous. Not like the Jets have anyone else who is worth signing long-term. He's earned some paper.

I'd give him a 3-4 year deal.

BD

It all depends on what he's asking for. The team does have the option of the franchise tag, which is on the lower ends of all skill positions, I think somewheres a little north of 5 million, so it's possible he could sign a team friendly deal for a longer term team and security. It also depends on who the offensive coordinator is next year, who the QB is and what type of money we have available. These decisions aren't made in a vacuum so it's hard to say. He has a unique skill set and despite what people say around here, he would start on many other teams and with a competent QB would be putting up top 10type numbers. With a reasonable contract, I say you bring him back. Not having the understanding of the cap like Jason does, I'm not sure how much of a negotiating weapon the franchise tag or transitional tag?? is, but it's an option. Obviously if the financial cost is too high, then you cut bait.

Both are underachievers.

Is Heath Miller also an underachiever?

Heath Miller last three years: Avg. 56 recs 3 TDs

Dustin Keller last three years: Avg. 55 recs 4 TDs

People don't want to face it, but Keller is one of the top 5-6 TEs in the game over the last three seasons.....

BD

Is Heath Miller also an underachiever?

Heath Miller last three years: Avg. 56 recs 3 TDs

Dustin Keller last three years: Avg. 55 recs 4 TDs

People don't want to face it, but Keller is one of the top 5-6 TEs in the game over the last three seasons.....

BD

Heath Miller also blocks. I dont know off the top of my head, but I'd assume Miller's catch rate is much better.

Heath Miller also blocks. I dont know off the top of my head, but I'd assume Miller's catch rate is much better.

Whatever that means.

You can't compare any % to any Jets WR or TE. They have the worst QB in the league throwing the ball!

Big Ben is always throwing at 65% every year......

BD

Dustin is one of the only players we SHOULD keep. Who cares if he's having an off-year. It doesn't even count as a full year b/c he missed the first 4 games. He's def a key player. He's awesome. I know some beg to differ, but I see him only getting better. There's never drama with him off the field, and he is dedicated to the game. Since Mark is here next year, he is a great match up and with the two of them, the Jets have some guarantees. Pay the man.

Archived