Woody requested Jets play on Thanksgiving night: source

Lizard King

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 2:05 PM, November 20, 2012

The Jets are playing on Thanksgiving for the second time in three years. That is something that makes the team’s owner happy, but might not be such a thrill for the fans.

Owner Woody Johnson actually requested that his team play on Thanksgiving night, according to a league source, despite the challenges it presents for his team and the inconvenience it places upon its fans.

Clearly, fans are not thrilled with the idea of leaving Thanksgiving dinner to go to MetLife Stadium. As of yesterday, Stubhub had 5,622 tickets available for the game with the rival Patriots, some priced as low as $28.

It is interesting that Johnson requested to play on the holiday. According to a source, the Giants ask the NFL not to schedule them on Thanksgiving.

The Jets players said all the right things yesterday about the game, but it presents football challenges for a team battling for its playoff life. The Jets would have had a Thursday game on the schedule regardless, but possibly earlier in the season when the game was not as crucial as this one.

Now, instead of having a week to heal injuries and prepare for Bill Belichick and Tom Brady, the Jets (who did win that last Thanksgiving game, 26-10 over the Bengals in 2010) must cram everything into three days.

“It is [challenging],” tight end Dustin Keller said, “but the other team is in the same exact situation. You’ve just got to do all the things to keep your body healthy and get back on the field in three days.”

The Jets crammed a lot into yesterday, treating it like a normal Monday, when they review their last game, and a Wednesday, when they begin preparation for that week’s opponent.

The Jets had meetings from 12:45 until 4 p.m., then practiced from 4:30 to 6:15. Their itinerary for the week said “Stay hydrated and well rested” at the top of the page. Thursday’s itinerary is simple, “Beat the Patriots” it says.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

considering that it's at home, and that home teams have romped on Thursday (and points have been low during these games), and it's the Pats, i'd say the Jets have the advantage with this scheduling. They have to play the Pats twice, this is probably the best time to play em.

considering that it's at home, and that home teams have romped on Thursday (and points have been low during these games), and it's the Pats, i'd say the Jets have the advantage with this scheduling. They have to play the Pats twice, this is probably the best time to play em.

the pig is ripe.

No problem here. Don't blame him on this one. I like it.

This.

I've been wanting to see MY team on Thanksgiving forever. If a sh*tty franchise like the Lions can ruin a national holiday, then why not the sh*tty franchise I root for too?

We played on Thanksgiving 2 years ago. Why was it necessary to do it again?

What the hell do you care? Aren't you in some remote place like Casper, Wyoming or some chit?

I love the game being on TG night.. Beats watching Home Alone with everyone.

What the hell do you care? Aren't you in some remote place like Casper, Wyoming or some chit?

Just because it doesn't affect me doesn't mean it isn't an inconvenience to the fans. Jets fans are giving away tickets in droves, posssibly to Pats fans. Won't you find it annoying listening to Pats fans taking over the building on national TV?

Just because it doesn't affect me doesn't mean it isn't an inconvenience to the fans. Jets fans are giving away tickets in droves, posssibly to Pats fans. Won't you find it annoying listening to Pats fans taking over the building on national TV?

Somebody's got to be loud in that building.

lol, your funny

So are you another one of these brain-deads who gives the Jets zero chance tomorrow? Even though they should have beaten them a couple weeks ago if Hill doesn't drop a gimmie. and they are now without that meathead GrOnk.

So are you another one of these brain-deads who gives the Jets zero chance tomorrow? Even though they should have beaten them a couple weeks ago if Hill doesn't drop a gimmie. and they are now without that meathead GrOnk.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda... but that said, no. I know we've always got a shot in a Patriots game. Playing the Patriots seems to be the only thing this team digs deep for.

I almost wish we played them 16 times per year. I think we'd show more heart and tenacity. Frankly, the Jets are one of those teams where if sh*t doesn't go perfect right from the start (like vs. Buffalo, and St. Louis) then everything falls apart and by the end of the game the defense is arm tackling and the offense can't gain a yard.

Archived