PFT: Tanny vs Rex, who is to blame?

PatriotReign37

Rex is a guy who always sees the good, no matter what, so no matter what garbage he has on the field, he's going to be positive about it. Tannenbaum (and Woody) hired that guy. Tannenbaum, considering his pay-grade, should have figured out that he'd have to compensate for that optimism.

Rex may not help, but a competent GM doesn't put his head coach in this position and does more to put together a decent offense (which everyone KNEW had holes) than picking up Tim Tebow. I blame Tanny.

Tanny has the responsibility to set the strategic long-term direction of the team...his approach appears to allow the HC significant input in the draft and bottom roster churning...with Mangini he's typically pursued more boy scout, high character/intelligent-type athletes...with Rex he's typically pursued raw but more athletically gifted athletes...both styles can work but the inconsistency is noted...the problem as I see it...no overall theme to team strengths or individual players can thrive as a Jet. For instance, in 11 he drafts a more cerebral backup QB type in McElroy...who I could argue has some upside a #2 QB...the bigger point is Tanny...the very next year abandons his development by trading picks for Tebow...there's more obvious examples but the point remains the same...lack of strategic thinking to accomplish long-term goals...failure to plan is planning to fail.

I'm not sure Tanny needs to step aside. I don't think he is the problem at all. Maybe, you could argue we need a better scouting department. But Tanny wasn't the one who cut Woodhead, Cruz, Cotchery, or traded for Holmes. Erasing those moves alone - plus using some of Holmes money to help the OL or TE changes the whole offense. Rex's fingerprints are on all of those moves.

While Tannenbaum hasnt done a great job I think Mehta is way off on this one. As someone who tracks these things I dont recall the Jets makes 50 some moves at the bottom of the roster since the season began. For me that would be a nightmare to keep up with. After the final cutdown they made in the ballpark of 20 signings or claims on the active roster. Each move needs to have a corresponding cut so thats around 30 moves. Add in Practice Squad and I guess that is where he gets the number. This is around what I would say is normal based on the workload that usually goes into my site during the year. For reference the Patriots are around 16 signings, the Dolphins are at 11 and the Bills at 13. Last year the Jets had 16 signings post cutdown.

Here's the original article....

NY Jets coach Rex Ryan is not team's problem, lack of talent behind Mark Sanchez and injured stars Darrelle Revis and Santonio Holmes are problems

Owner Woody Johnson isn't happy with his 4-6 team ... nobody would expect him to be, but the best way to fix the problem lies in making smart, strategic changes around Ryan.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2012, 12:40 AM

Rex Ryan is the least of the Jets' worries right now. Their stars are injured and there is a lack of talent surrounding Mark Sanchez.

Woody Johnson took a leap of faith nearly four years ago when he hired a head coach who didn’t look or act the part. Rex Ryan had an oversized torso and mouth, making grandiose predictions reserved for diehards in parking lot tailgates than the face of one of the most lucrative sports franchises in the world.

Johnson’s choice to hitch his wagon to Ryan was brilliant for reasons that extended far beyond the coach’s innate ability to generate headlines. Ryan was the John Nash of defensive football minds, a savant who stymied offenses around the league for the better part of a decade.

Now, the Jets owner needs to make another brilliant decision by being patient with a head coach who has vaulted his franchise back to relevance despite recent struggles.

Note to Woody: You already got the right man for the job.

The Jets are 4-6 heading into their Thanksgiving showdown against the Patriots at MetLife Stadium for myriad reasons. Darrelle Revis, the best defensive player in the NFL, and Santonio Holmes, the Jets’ top offensive playmaker, are out for the season. Mark Sanchez’s supporting cast is below average at best.

Ryan isn’t the problem. A lack of talent is.

A couple days after Johnson held a private meeting with general manager Mike Tannenbaum, Ryan and a few assistant coaches to assess the state of the team last week, the owner announced that he’s not happy. Nobody would expect him to be, but the best way to fix the problem lies in making smart, strategic changes around Ryan.

Bill Parcells famously said that “They want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries.”

If Johnson decides to keep his front office intact - Tannenbaum is signed through 2014 - Ryan must have a larger voice in personnel matters.

Tannenbaum, whose strength is navigating the salary cap, firmly believes in a collaborative decision-making approach regarding draft picks and trades. However, there have been too many times when finances have driven personnel moves in the bottom half of the roster.

The result: A glaring lack of depth that has come back to bite the Jets in the wake of key injuries. The Jets have made an eye-opening 53 personnel moves since the start of the season, seemingly tinkering with the bottom half of the roster on a daily basis.

The Jets aren’t wildly spending Johnson’s cash, so the budget should no longer drive some decisions.

(The Jets have made some seemingly odd cost-cutting measures such as Matt Slauson’s $258,000 pay cut in training camp).

Ryan’s ability to keep players he believes can help his team win should never be compromised.

Ryan, who is signed through 2014, has been far from perfect, but how many first-time head coaches have come within one game of the Super Bowl twice in their first three seasons?

“Every assistant coach thinks they’re ready to be a head coach,” Ryan said on Tuesday. “Well, people say, ‘Oh, you’re making a ton of mistakes right now.’ Well, that’s probably true. But I made more when I was just coming into this thing in ’09.

“I’ve been around football all my life, but you’ve never been in this chair,” Ryan added. “They say you can’t buy experience and I believe that’s the truth. But I think right now I’m more comfortable in this role as the head coach. I’ve learned. And I still learn.”

Johnson should consult the Rooney family in Pittsburgh on the virtues of patience. It took Bill Cowher, an annual hot coaching candidate these days, 13 seasons before he won his only Super Bowl. The Rooneys tuned out fan sentiment to fire Cowher after three consecutive seasons of missing the playoffs from 1998-2000.

Even Jon Gruden, who has vaulted to the top of the list of free agent head coaching candidates, went through rough patches. After winning the Super Bowl in his first season in Tampa with Tony Dungy’s players, Gruden didn’t win a playoff game and missed the postseason in four of his final six seasons with the Buccaneers.

The Jets may miss the playoffs for a second consecutive season, but Ryan’s eternal optimism has galvanized a team that still plays with maximum effort. They believe in him, which shouldn’t be overlooked.

“We have the people that we can get out of a bad situation by the work ethic and our belief in the person next to (you) and your belief in yourself,” Ryan said.

When TV and radio pundits tried to twist a Daily News report in which players made it clear that Tim Tebow’s quarterback skills aren’t good enough to be the starter into a convenient narrative of a divided locker room, Ryan made sure his players remained unified.

Whether the Jets make the playoffs or not, it’ll be paramount to accumulate more on-field talent.

Now’s not the time for Johnson to be reactionary. Ryan can still fulfill his promise to pay a visit to the White House.

I agree with Mehta's diagnosis, but not his proposed cure. The BIG PROBLEM on the Jets is a lack of talent. I don't think there are many (if any) coaches out there who could coach up this group of players to be any better than the 4-6 the Jets currently are. I just don't.

But I also don't think that Rex having a greater say is the answer. I think the answer is bringing in a true "football man" to run the personnel side of the business, and to provide Rex with the best players possible. Rex's talent is coaching, not talent evaluation. Sometimes people don't know what's best for them, and I think Rex is one of those guys. Rex is also all over the place. He needs to be focused, and having an actual boss as a GM rather than the partner that Tannenbaum seems to be would help him as well. Jets need a GM with an eye on the long term big picture, a guy with the autonomy and ability to tune out the quick fix desires of his owner or head coach. I definitely believe that Rex would be a be very effective coach working for a man like that.

It's Tanny. Even the great Parcells couldn't squeeze more talent out of this bunch! For God's sake - our number 1 receiver is Santonio Holmes!!!!

We would have had Cruz and Cotchery if Rex didn't cut them. Holmes is a joke and a locker room nightmare - but good old Rex needed him here. Great defensive coach and even evaluating talent on the defensive side of the ball. The offense has been a different story. Rex picked Sparano so now he needs to hope that Sparano is better at evaluating talent, developing talent, and gameplanning. Its going to take a year or two for a new OC to make his mark.

If the team was built for '08-'10, '08 being the year they chose to buy a window with FAs to compliment their recent run of strong drafts, wouldn't now be a logical point in time for the kind of turnover we have seen the past two years? Nice clean sentence Kafka.

Not an excuse.

Trading away picks, missing on the ones held onto, and handing out bloated contracts (cap guru, my ass) have all collectively led to the talent issues the team has today.

Not an excuse.

Trading away picks, missing on the ones held onto, and handing out bloated contracts (cap guru, my ass) have all collectively led to the talent issues the team has today.

Who wanted the players we traded the picks for? Who wanted Holmes, Braylon, ect? It was Rex.

The idea of Rex getting more say in personnel matters makes me want to stick my nuts in a blender, but it pales in comparison to The Greatest Sentence in The History of Sports Journalism:

When TV and radio pundits tried to twist a Daily News report in which players made it clear that Tim Tebow’s quarterback skills aren’t good enough to be the starter into a convenient narrative of a divided locker room, Ryan made sure his players remained unified.

Mehta has apparently contracted whatever self-pitying echo chamber delusion that causes Tannenbaum and Rex to think we're a couple plays away from being a playoff team. He honestly believes that TV and radio pundits "twisted" a story in which players openly sniped at a teammate. And then he immediately tops himself by commending Rex for keeping his players "unified"...after, you know, they openly sniped at a ****ing teammate.

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. The meeting worked.

What a piece of crap article.

Both Tanny and Rex are the problem.

Rex cannot evaluate talent for sh*t, u cannot be a good HC in this league if u cannot evaluate talent, impossible.

His ideas on offense are pathetic, hiring Sparano was rediculous.

He is a DC, not a HC.

Tanny is a cap guy, not a GM,

Both are in the wrong position, for once in our pathetic history of a franchise, can we get a good FO and a good staff??

What a piece of crap article

Not an excuse.

Meh, I put alot of blame on decline and the non-emergence of the Sanchize as a franchise QB.

The traded away picks is hindsight analysis the way I look at it...and I'm fine with Holmes and Cromartie. Had they won a Super Bowl while the LBers of the defense were still in their primes the whole thing about traded picks and contracts wouldn't even be an issue.

I also feel that Sanchez's ineptitude reduces the perception of the talent they do have on the roster. To a lesser extent, the Jets invite overreaction and cries of overrated when the HC is predicting Super Bowl for the hell of predicting Super Bowl.

Meh, I put alot of blame on decline and the non-emergence of the Sanchize as a franchise QB.

The traded away picks is hindsight analysis the way I look at it...and I'm fine with Holmes and Cromartie. Had they won a Super Bowl while the LBers of the defense were still in their primes the whole thing about traded picks and contracts wouldn't even be an issue.

I also feel that Sanchez's ineptitude reduces the perception of the talent they do have on the roster. To a lesser extent, the Jets invite overreaction and cries of overrated when the HC is predicting Super Bowl for the hell of predicting Super Bowl.

Sanchez sucks, but who on this roster legitimately looks like a playmaker other than maybe Kerley?

The online is inconsistent at best, brick is vastly overrated, and Mangold seems to have regressed.

The WR core is awful, absolutely awful, and a good QB would not change that, only maybe make Kerley more successful.

RB's suck.

The offensive philosophy sucks.

This was all on Rex, he does not care about offense, and never prioritized it.

Sanchez does not help, but short of an elite QB, nothing would fix this disaster of an offense.

FWIW ESPN published a similar article yesterday talking about how Sanchez had no chance to succeed with this lot of players. You dont have to be a genius to read between the lines and guess where the information is coming from. There is going to be a split at the top of this organization if the Jets do not make a playoff run.

Tannenbaum essentially targets the players that either his owner (Favre, Sanchez) wants or his head coach wants. With Mangini it was "character" players and with Rex it is a free for all. Todays personnel failures belong on Rex, as well.

Do you think Tannenbaum trades for Cromartie, Braylon or Santonio Holmes under Mangini? Of course not.

Tannenbaum essentially targets the players that either his owner (Favre, Sanchez) wants or his head coach wants. With Mangini it was "character" players and with Rex it is a free for all. Todays personnel failures belong on Rex, as well.

Do you think Tannenbaum trades for Cromartie, Braylon or Santonio Holmes under Mangini? Of course not.

Exactly

J

This. I'm pretty sure that listening to Rex is what's driven this roster into the ground, even despite Tannenbaum being a walking time sink.

This. I'm pretty sure that listening to Rex is what's driven this roster into the ground, even despite Tannenbaum being a walking time sink.

I feel bad for Tannenbaum, in a way. He should be fired because he is simply not a football GM. But the bigger issue is why was a non-football GM hired in the first place?

Sanchez sucks, but who on this roster legitimately looks like a playmaker other than maybe Kerley?

The online is inconsistent at best, brick is vastly overrated, and Mangold seems to have regressed.

The WR core is awful, absolutely awful, and a good QB would not change that, only maybe make Kerley more successful.

RB's suck.

The offensive philosophy sucks.

This was all on Rex, he does not care about offense, and never prioritized it.

Sanchez does not help, but short of an elite QB, nothing would fix this disaster of an offense.

Completely disagree. Holmes, Hill, and Kerley are as talented a trio as this franchise has ever had. Mark Sanchez sucks, and everyone takes the subsequent hit that comes from the QB being so bad at his job.

The idea of Rex getting more say in personnel matters makes me want to stick my nuts in a blender, but it pales in comparison to The Greatest Sentence in The History of Sports Journalism:

Mehta has apparently contracted whatever self-pitying echo chamber delusion that causes Tannenbaum and Rex to think we're a couple plays away from being a playoff team. He honestly believes that TV and radio pundits "twisted" a story in which players openly sniped at a teammate. And then he immediately tops himself by commending Rex for keeping his players "unified"...after, you know, they openly sniped at a ****ing teammate.

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. The meeting worked.

Beat the Rams? U.N.I.T.YYYYYYYYY

Completely disagree. Holmes, Hill, and Kerley are as talented a trio as this franchise has ever had. Mark Sanchez sucks, and everyone takes the subsequent hit that comes from the QB being so bad at his job.

Holmes is out and inconsistent at best.

Hill can't catch a cold.

This is nonsense.

Sanchez throwing has zero to do with hill dropping the ball.

This is complete nonsense, you are so wrong it's not even funny.

If you want to count Holmes as talent, Braylon, Holmes and Cotchery are so much better than this group it's not even funny.

And that offense was far superior.

Archived