Why can't Woody hire anyone with experience?

billo83

Started thinking about this today and this is one of the major problems. There's no one in the FO who is experienced enough to fix the issues and have any sense of direction. Woody has not hired anyone with prior experience in their respective position in the most critical areas (Head Coach, GM, Team President). Even most of the Coordinators didn't have any prior experience at the position (Sutton and Schitty specifically come to mind). Herm didn't even have experience as a DC and Mangini only 1 year as a DC.

You can't hire that many newbies to run the show and expect stability and direction. It's like fielding a team comprised of all rookies. There may be a lot of talent there, but no one with experiece to lead. I think Rex could be a decent coach if he had an experienced GM to run everything outside of the D. It's very apparent that this team is a clusterf*ck with no organization, direction, and leadership which is a result of never hiring anyone with solid experience.

I don't think it needs to be a household name like some people are suggesting like Polian, Cowher, or Gruden. Just get someone who has some experience in their role. I'm sick and tired of these 1st time HC's and GM's. The experiment has failed.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that this has been a big problem since Woody has bought the team. I'm not sure why he gives no names and unprovens like Joe Walton and Bruce Coslet a try. Woops wrong idiot owner. But you get my point.

Actually that is correct also. Hess was a worse owner IMO. Walton and Coslet should have been fired years before they were and then he fires Petey after one friggen season. Then he hires Kotite after he was a total disaster in Philly.

This team has never had compentent ownership that's for sure.

Bill Cowher actually laughed at a reporter when he was asked about possibly leaving the booth to coach the New York Jets. That's the feeling out there, it's all about the clueless and gutless owner who holds no one accountable. He's also the guy who during the lockout stopped paying all of the little people in the organization.

The young dude route would work if there was an actual adult in the room to oversee things. TannenRex personnel meetings must be similar to watching the Kardashian sisters discuss nuclear fission.

That means dumping Tannenbaum and Bradway. And for what ever the reason Johnson doesn't seem inclined to do that. And both are resilient: Tannenbaum ahs beem here since Parcells, Bradway since 2000. Which mean both have managed to survive despite Groh, Edwards, Mangini and now Ryan turn to poop. And look at that list; 4 guys all with defensive backgrounds in an NFL based increaingly on offense and especially passing offense. That's the Bradway/Tannenbaum legacy, not only going against the grain but pretending the conventional wisdom of their industry doesn't matter despite their own failures going

against it.

That means dumping Tannenbaum and Bradway. And for what ever the reason Johnson doesn't seem inclined to do that. And both are resilient: Tannenbaum ahs beem here since Parcells, Bradway since 2000. Which mean both have managed to survive despite Groh, Edwards, Mangini and now Ryan turn to poop. And look at that list; 4 guys all with defensive backgrounds in an NFL based increaingly on offense and especially passing offense. That's the Bradway/Tannenbaum legacy, not only going against the grain but pretending the conventional wisdom of their industry doesn't matter despite their own failures going

against it.

All good points. It will take someone grabbing Woody by the collar and forcing Bill Polian on him, I think. Easiest move ever for an owner--hire an old hand to build the team and stay out of his office--but I don't think Woody could handle that. It might cost him his weekly Fox appearances.

All good points. It will take someone grabbing Woody by the collar and forcing Bill Polian on him, I think. Easiest move ever for an owner--hire an old hand to build the team and stay out of his office--but I don't think Woody could handle that. It might cost him his weekly Fox appearances.

NBC had Woody with wife #2 and the kids giving that Thanksgiving greeting. It seems that nonsense, the headlines, the trappings, the bullsheet are what matter to him, not winning. He's a spoiled brat, has no sense of delayed gratification, has everything handed to him and is surrounded by sycophants of which Tannenbaum clearly is one.He has never worked toward a long-term goal, he flits from big idea to big idea until he gets bored. SImply he was born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a triple. He is not going to throw out a yes man to bring in someone who tells him to stay out of the office. Every owner has input. Heck, the Tisch/Mara bunch deposed Accorsi when they got the sense he was less about football than he was schmoozing with the Mike Lupicas of the world. Buy Johnson is far beyond that kind of necessary involvement. Why is the owner feuding with Joe Namath? Why is on the field every halftime? Why is he on TV with his tropy wife and kids?

It's way worse than Hess. Hess at least was a self-made man who tried to get it right and didn't really unil the end. Perhaps had Hess been as ruthless as an owner as he was a businessman it might have been very different. But Johnson is none of those things. He's a rich kid with a big bank account out to make his mark or some nonsense.

I prefer the up & comer route. Rarely do retreads exceed, or even match, their previous success. The hot scout, coordinator, that's the way I'd go again for the next GM, head coach.

I understand what you are saying, but for this franchise I couldn't disagree more. Before Rex, you'd have to go back to Walt Michaels for a 1st time HC for the Jets that was truly successfull. The up and comer route works for teams with compentent ownership, like the Giants and Steelers (the Giants recent success inronically is with a retread). The Jets are a mess right now and need discipline, direction, and overall good football knowledge and I think that can only be found with a seasoned football man.If anything, the Jets have proved they can't find up and comers, much like they can't find a franchise QB.

What person with any experience (and in his right mind) would take tihs job?

Plenty if they do get full control. Parcells took over a 1-15 absolute wreck of a team with a bad history (and worse than this one). What better place to make a name for youself or add to your legacy than turning around this train wreck?

Plenty if they do get full control. Parcells took over a 1-15 absolute wreck of a team with a bad history (and worse than this one). What better place to make a name for youself or add to your legacy than turning around this train wreck?

Parcells times all his reclamation projects well, taking over a team whose roster he could quickly overhaul, often with a #1 type pick. The Jets cap situation is fvcked for next year. Anyone taking the Jets job this offseason will do so knowing their hands are essentially tied for 2013.

Also, Parcells had less and less success with every stop. Champion on the Giants, Lost Super Bowl with Pats, lost AFC Champ with Jets, Cowboys, fish.... He's a poster boy for not hiring a retread.

It's way worse than Hess. Hess at least was a self-made man who tried to get it right and didn't really unil the end. Perhaps had Hess been as ruthless as an owner as he was a businessman it might have been very different. But Johnson is none of those things. He's a rich kid with a big bank account out to make his mark or some nonsense.

I actually think Hess was a worse owner as far as decisions he made. He kept Walton and Coslet around way too long, fired Michaels (one of the best Jets HC's) after getting to the Championship game, and hired Kotite, repeat Kotite. He fired Petey after only one season so he could hire his buddy. Hiring Parcells wasn't even his idea to begin with. "I want to win now" with Rich Kotite says it all.

Parcells times all his reclamation projects well, taking over a team whose roster he could quickly overhaul, often with a #1 type pick. The Jets cap situation is fvcked for next year. Anyone taking the Jets job this offseason will do so knowing their hands are essentially tied for 2013.

Also, Parcells had less and less success with every stop. Champion on the Giants, Lost Super Bowl with Pats, lost AFC Champ with Jets, Cowboys, fish.... He's a poster boy for not hiring a retread.

Oh believe me I'm no Tuna fan, especially after quitting on the Jets and hand picking his successor Boobway. He's probably the most overrated football man out there. But I stand by what I said, if (and that's a big if) Woody gives the GM full control of the team there would be people lined up out the door to take the job.

The answer is a top coach won't come into this media hornet's nest, and get put up the media for the 2-3 years it would take to turn this around.

Cowher could name his price to come in and do it right. But he won't......

BD

A top coach would come here if a compentent GM is in place. What better place to shine than in NY? Even the media knows it's going to take a few years to right the ship and would cut a new coach some slack.

As far as Cowher, he didn't want to come here initially because he wouldn't have full control. That is what needs to change to get a good GM in here.

This again.

A top coach would come here if a compentent GM is in place. What better place to shine than in NY? Even the media knows it's going to take a few years to right the ship and would cut a new coach some slack.

As far as Cowher, he didn't want to come here initially because he wouldn't have full control. That is what needs to change to get a good GM in here.

What better place to tarnish a good name too.

The media only cares about making a story for tomorrow's deadline. Never forget that. It's pretty important......

BD

What better place to tarnish a good name too.

The media only cares about making a story for tomorrow's deadline. Never forget that. It's pretty important......

BD

Was Parcells good name tarnished (other than adding to him being a quitter)? Other than that we really don't have a history as no one else with a history has been hired.

Was Parcells good name tarnished (other than adding to him being a quitter)? Other than that we really don't have a history as no one else with a history has been hired.

If Parcells couldn't get them over the hump, what chance do the others have?

The Jets have that Inner Loser gene, that keeps them from any hopes of greatness......

BD

If Parcells couldn't get them over the hump, what chance do the others have?

The Jets have that Inner Loser gene, that keeps them from any hopes of greatness......

BD

So Tuna is the be all? Talk about overrated (see previous posts). So I guess the Jets should just stick with Tanny since no one can get them over the hump right? Might as well just fold the franchise while you're at it.

I'm sure potential GM's don't have that attitude, which is what makes them successfull to begin with.

So Tuna is the be all? Talk about overrated (see previous posts). So I guess the Jets should just stick with Tanny since no one can get them over the hump right? Might as well just fold the franchise while you're at it.

I'm sure potential GM's don't have that attitude, which is what makes them successfull to begin with.

He turned around the Jets and Cowgirls. Who else ever did that?

He would've done better with the Cowgirls if Jerry Jones dumb--- didn't make the football decisions (like Quincy Carter)......

BD

He turned around the Jets and Cowgirls. Who else ever did that?

He would've done better with the Cowgirls if Jerry Jones dumb--- didn't make the football decisions (like Quincy Carter)......

BD

Dude. The Parcells Truthers are the weirdest Truthers in the truthing business.

Aren't you in favor of bringing in Gruden?

Of course I am! Parcells is done.

Gruden loves the game, doesn't take any %$#@, and knows 30X more about offense and QBs than any Jets coach ever has. He's EXACTLY what they need.

But he's got a great gig at ESPN, and you have to make him an offer he can't refuse......

BD

there are not so many NFL head coaching jobs that a competent HC could not be found and hired. Problem is Woody is not the guy to make the call. And if he cannot make the call, he should not make the call on who should advise him to make the call. Maybe a quiet, backchannel approach to the league would land him a recommendation?

Archived