" Time for Jets to think about 2013 " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Clarifying the '13 cap situation

For some reason, the story of the Jets' cap situation for 2013 has gained momentum in recent days, fueling the perception that the team is headed for salary-cap hell. While it's true that the Jets are projected to be about $20 million over the cap in '13, it's important to understand the full scope of the situation.They can get under the cap in a heartbeat. If they cut LB Bart Scott, OLB Calvin Pace and OT Jason Smith, they will clear nearly $28 million. Smith has an inflated cap number because of a $12 million roster bonus, which, of course, he never will see.So these stories have been blown out of proportion. The problem with the Jets' cap is they have a lot of money tied up in only a few players. In fact, they have seven players with a combined cap total of about $80 million. That means about $45 million for the other 46 players.

Here are the Jets' big seven, all of whom are expected to be back in 2013 :

LB David Harris -- $13 million

QB Mark Sanchez -- $12.9 million

WR Santonio Holmes -- $12.5 million

CB Antonio Cromartie -- $10.8 million

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- $10.7 million

C Nick Mangold -- $9.1 million

CB Darrelle Revis -- $9 million

> http://espn.go.com/b...3-cap-situation

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4) Understand that the 2013 season is going to be miserable.

5) Pray that Revis is recovered and trade him to the highest draft pick bidder before the trade deadline.

I don't see how either of these things leads to a Super Bowl. There's this idea that multi-year rebuilding plans are a way forward. There are teams rebuilding for the last 10 years. It doesn't work. Trade the best player for a draft pick? No. Please God No.

I don't see how either of these things leads to a Super Bowl. There's this idea that multi-year rebuilding plans are a way forward. There are teams rebuilding for the last 10 years. It doesn't work. Trade the best player for a draft pick? No. Please God No.

" ... Trade the best player for a draft pick?... "

~ ~ draft pickS &/or playerS :winking0001:

cheers ~ ~

:cheer:

Sanchez facing burden of proving future value

It may not matter if Mark Sanchez shows up for the Jets at this point, but they still need to know if he’s their future.

This Sunday against the Cardinals represents a chance for him to redeem his season. The Jets must win their last five games to even have a shot at the playoffs, placing a heavy burden on Sanchez.“It’s an everyday thing. I don’t think it changes just because we need to win a couple games here in a short period of time. It’s just the nature of the position,” Sanchez said. “The most important thing in these next five games, as important as they are, don’t change and try and do something crazy and make something up and try and be somebody you’re not. [i have to] just keep leading this team and do the very best I can.”

Jets head coach Rex Ryan is convinced the issues with the league’s No. 28 total offense go far beyond Sanchez’s miscues.“When you look at it, there are things that all of us can improve, and to saddle, to put that blame on one person, I don’t think that’s appropriate. If anything, that would be more directed at me than it is anybody else,” Ryan said. “How am I as a coach? I have to get better and get this team to where we don’t turn the ball over, so I focus on those areas. But as a team we have to get better. You don’t just put that on one individual. If that was the answer, if it’s just one guy, then that’s easy, but it’s not. We have to protect the football as a football team.”

But the pressure still falls on Sanchez to perform against the Cardinals.“Being the quarterback of a team, there’s always more pressure and attention at that position, so I don’t treat it differently than anything else,” Sanchez said. “We just need to win some games here. We’ve done it in the past, so hopefully we’ll do it again.”

> http://www.metro.us/...ng-future-value

I'm 34 years old and been thru this many times; and it never really worked but its time to clean house.

1) Immediately following Week 17 bring in a GM that has real experience. A football guy, an assistant GM or a Director of College Scouting.

2) Ask the new GM if he wants to bring in a new coach. If he does, Rex goes. And let's be honest, this team is several years away from being legit. Rex won't be here a few years from now - so why delay the inevitable.

3) Find a new QB. If there is one in Aprils draft, get him. If there isn't wait it out. But eventually you need to get lucky and have a top 3 pick to land a franchise QB or make a Redskins type move - trade the farm for a guy you identify as a franchise QB.

4) Understand that the 2013 season is going to be miserable. The team is old and has cap issues. We are kind of like the Lions of a few years ago.

5) Pray that Revis is recovered and trade him to the highest draft pick bidder before the trade deadline. Look, were losing him in free agency b/c we cant nor should pay a CB $15M per year. Take the best offer next October - whatever that may be.

5) Lock up Wilkerson sooner rather than later. He looks like the best young player on the team. Sign him to a team friendly deal now.

something like this

Nah.

They'll extend David Harris until he's 34 to lower his 2013 cap number and use that space to sign Freeney and Osi to be our pass rushers. Both will sign long-term deals with $30M+ guaranteed apiece, with low cap numbers in year 1 that will help blow up the influx of cap relief we were otherwise going to get in 2014 and beyond. They'll both still be good players in 2013 and the pre-season hype for how good they'll be will make it sound better than if we got both of them 6-8 years ago.

We'll also lower Revis' 2013 cap number by $1-2M by extending him a new contract that averages $17M/year. Revis will of course hold out 2 years into this new deal because even though his cap number will be $18M, his "base salary" will be only $8M and that will be too insulting for someone like him to play for.

Then they'll sign Dwayne Bowe for $14M/year with $42M guaranteed. He'll only put up about 800 yards with Sanchez throwing the rock, convincing his devout supporters that for (what will be) 5 years, we still haven't provided him with a real "true #1" receiver. But the seats will be filled because we Jets fans want to believe so badly we will ignore what is apparent to the rest of planet earth.

We still won't win anything, and it will keep us in cap hell for an extra 3 seasons, but it will help to bring the 2013 Jets from 4 wins to 8.

Sperm, Correct me if I'm wrong - but can't the Jets restructure Sanchez so that they can sign, trade for or draft another QB? I mean on the open market what is Sanchez worth? Can't the Jets get him down to around that figure based on league wide interest in him? And if there was a team really interested in him, is there not a way to work out a restructure/trade type of scenario for Sanchez?

Sperm, Correct me if I'm wrong - but can't the Jets restructure Sanchez so that they can sign, trade for or draft another QB? I mean on the open market what is Sanchez worth? Can't the Jets get him down to around that figure based on league wide interest in him? And if there was a team really interested in him, is there not a way to work out a restructure/trade type of scenario for Sanchez?

Sure, it's possible to do that. I'm sure there are a few ways, like converting half his 2013 salary to roster bonus and then trading him, leaving the other half of his salary for his new team. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen. Why would he do it? He's going to get that money either way and if he's here his chances of starting are higher than they'll be on a new team with far less invested in him, paying him far less.

He'll still be here next year. It is pointless to get your hopes up, and therefore pointless to attend another Jets game until he's gone.

Sure, it's possible to do that. I'm sure there are a few ways, like converting half his 2013 salary to roster bonus and then trading him, leaving the other half of his salary for his new team. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen. Why would he do it? He's going to get that money either way and if he's here his chances of starting are higher than they'll be on a new team with far less invested in him, paying him far less.

He'll still be here next year. It is pointless to get your hopes up, and therefore pointless to attend another Jets game until he's gone.

Well thats what I'm wondering. I don't know the details.I was wondering if the jets could upfront or guarentee more money in order to spread it out over the long term. I see what you are saying though. The bottom line is he is still young and still probably thinks he should start in this league so he probably would not want to work with the Jets no matter what.

Greg McElroy not stressing QB call

For one day at least, New York Jets third-string quarterback Greg McElroy is a hero in New York City.

McElroy saved the Jets from an awful first-half performance by Mark Sanchez (three interceptions) and led Gang Green to a 7-6 victory over the Arizona Cardinals. McElroy did just enough, completing 5-of-7 passes for 29 yards and a touchdown to get the Jets to 5-7.Now comes the waiting game. Did McElroy do enough to start Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars or will he go back to being a backup?

McElroy says he's not stressing the decision.

“It’s not worth worrying about,” McElroy said in a conference call Monday. “It doesn’t change our relationship (and) it doesn’t change how supportive we are of one another. Whoever’s on the field, I know the other two [quarterbacks] will be pushing for that person.”McElroy entered the NFL as a longshot. He was a former seventh-round pick and missed most of last year with an injury. After McElroy’s comments about a selfish locker room and the acquisition of popular quarterback Tim Tebow, most thought McElroy’s roster spot was in jeopardy. But he survived as the No. 3 quarterback and now has an NFL win under his belt.

Many Jets fans want to see more of McElroy, who wants to play but will not lobby the coaching staff to keep him in the lineup.“There’s no case being made obviously,” McElroy said. “Coach [Rex] Ryan will make a decision and he’ll do what’s best for this football team.”

So who is best to lead the Jets : McElroy, Sanchez or Tebow ?

We want your feedback. Share your thoughts on New York’s quarterback situation and send them to our AFC East inbox.

> http://espn.go.com/b...ressing-qb-call

Report : Jets owner wants QB Greg McElroy

nyj.gifAs usual, we have dissention within the New York Jets' organization.

The latest comes from Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. Mehta reports Jets owner Woody Johnson prefers to start third-string quarterback Greg McElroy Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano reportedly want Mark Sanchez. Tim Tebow, due to health reasons, doesn't appear to be a viable option this week.

Ultimately, the final call will be made by Jets head coach Rex Ryan, who seemed genuinely torn during Monday's news conference. Ryan said he's yet to make a decision and wants to get all of the facts by talking to key members of the organization.It is no surprise there are varying opinions within the organization. This team has been dysfunctional and unable to get on the same page all season.

We will have more on the Jets' quarterback situation coming up next in the AFC East blog.

> http://espn.go.com/b...qb-greg-mcelroy

Big Mac recalls foot-in-mouth moment

If Greg McElroy gets the starting nod from Rex Ryan, he'll be in charge of the locker room he once said had a "corrupt mindset."Before his winning NFL debut Sunday, McElroy's only headline-making moment as a member of the Jets was an infamous interview in January on a Birmingham, Ala., radio station. McElroy, who spent his rookie season on injured reserve, amplified the Jets' chemistry problems by claiming the locker room was filled with selfish players.McElroy performed some serious damage control in the offseason. He said he called "a lot" of veteran players and apologized for his remarks."A lot of guys were upset and rightfully so," McElroy said Monday during a conference call with reporters. "I completely understand that, and that’s one thing I did have to own up to it and I had to do a little bit of damage control for sure."Those guys are understanding and Rex (Ryan) made a point that, 'Hey, last season’s in the past and rip off the rearview mirror and let’s go forward.' To everyone it really wasn’t an issue at that point. Just don’t worry about it, don’t do it again. I think Wayne Hunter actually said it best: 'Rookie mistake, don’t do it again.' "

McElroy was in a good mood Monday, and why not? Just like that, he went from a relatively anonymous third-stringer to a potential starter. He said Monday was like any other. Even though it was an off-day for players, he reported to the facility for breakfast, a workout and a film session, grading Sunday's game."Obviously, (I have) a lot of stuff to learn," he said. "But it was a good experience for me and I was actually happy with the way things looked at first glance."After the game, McElroy's teammates praised his confidence in the huddle. RG Brandon Moore called him a "pretty confident kid, borderline cocky," meaning it as a compliment. McElroy laughed when told of the quote."I would like to think it's leaning a little bit more towards confident," he said. "But, yeah, one thing I’ve always tried to approach this game with is, you just never let them see you sweat. And that includes the players in your huddle, the players in the opposite huddle, the players on the opposite sideline, on your sideline. Never let them see you sweat."

For now, McElroy will sweat out Ryan's quarterback decision.

> http://espn.go.com/b...in-mouth-moment

Rex says his future not tied to Sanchez

The first draft pick of the Rex Ryan era was Mark Sanchez. They became forever linked. Rex and Mark, Mark and Rex. A year ago, Ryan said Sanchez will be "our quarterback for as long as I'm here, which I hope is a long, long time."

On Thursday, Ryan distanced himself from Sanchez, saying he doesn't think his coaching future is tied to the struggling quarterback."Obviously we need to win," Ryan said, one day after re-naming Sanchez his starter. "This is a big decision. (A big factor) in determining wins and losses is the play of your quarterback a lot of times. But, no, I don't feel that my future's tied in with how we do things (with the quarterback)."Ryan has two years remaining on his contract and he's not thought to be in danger of getting fired. But the Jets are 5-7, coming off an 8-8 season, and you just never know in this business.

On Wednesday, Ryan announced he's sticking with Sanchez, whom he benched in the third quarter of Sunday's win over the Cardinals. Sanchez is signed through 2016, and his 2013 salary ($8.25 million) is guaranteed, virtually ensuring his return."Obviously, this is a win business and I know that," Ryan said. "As Brian Billick told me the other day, there's been 111 head coaches that have come and gone over the last 10 years. So it's probably not the most job-secure thing."But one thing I can (do to) affect the job security is by winning. That's what everybody wants. Our fans want it. That's what Woody (Johnson) wants. That's what we all want. Obviously, that's what I want."

> http://espn.go.com/b...tied-to-sanchez

fifthdown_post.png

December 6, 2012, 2:36 pm

History Suggests Sanchez May Be Better Off Elsewher

Coach Rex Ryan announced on Wednesday that Mark Sanchez would be the Jets’ starting quarterback on Sunday at Jacksonville. Ryan threw his support behind the incumbent quarterback, even saying that he was “looking forward to seeing Mark play.”But public sentiment against Sanchez, from fans and sports columnists, means another poor outing is likely to pressure Ryan to reinsert the backup Greg McElroy.When the Jets made Sanchez the fifth overall pick in 2009, or when they extended his contract in March,they probably did not envision him fighting off a challenge from an inexperienced seventh-round pick. Given the high expectations on top picks, anything but a complete turnaround will result in Sanchez’s being labeled a draft bust.

There is no shortage of quarterbacks who were selected at the top of the draft yet failed to make a mark in the N.F.L. At his current rate, Sanchez would join the ranks of JaMarcus Russell, Akili Smith, Andre Ware and David Klingler. Those four failed to live up to expectations,with none getting a second chance to prove themselves on the field with another team.If Sanchez wants to resurrect his career, there are examples he can follow.

Fourteen years before the Jets selected Sanchez out of Southern Cal, the Carolina Panthers selected Kerry Collins with the fifth overall pick.Like Sanchez,Collins struggled in key areas.With the Panthers,Collins’s highest completion percentage was a meager 56.0, while Sanchez’s best with the Jets was 56.7 percent. In 1997 Collins led the league with 21 interceptions, whereas Sanchez was second in the league in 2009 with 20 and fifth in 2011 with 18. Both players were frequent fumblers, often among the worst offenders in the league.In Collins’s fourth season, the team placed him on waivers. He finished the year in New Orleans. After the season the Giants acquired him. A year later Collins had repaired his career to the point that he aided the Giants to a 12-4 record and a Super Bowl berth. In that championship game, Collins faced off against the Baltimore Ravens and their quarterback Trent Dilfer.

Like Collins and Sanchez, Dilfer was a top pick (sixth over all in 1994) who struggled with his original team. Dilfer spent six seasons with Tampa Bay, and although he made the Pro Bowl in his fourth year, he was a below average quarterback for the other five seasons. The Ravens acquired him in his seventh season, and he became their starter for that championship season.Dilfer would eventually play for Seattle, Cleveland and San Francisco, while Collins had stops in Oakland, Tennessee and Indianapolis. It is unclear whether Collins and Dilfer profited from a new organization, lowered expectations, or an extra dose of humility.But it seems unlikely that their original teams would have had the freedom from the fans and the news media to give them the opportunity to play after years of poor performances. Perhaps going to a new city merely gave Collins and Dilfer a clean slate.

So, for Sanchez, it is possible that he goes on to a fruitful career. But given the history of highly drafted quarterbacks, it seems that Sanchez’s best opportunity may be to leave the team that picked him.

> http://fifthdown.blo...e/?ref=football

Rex says Sanchez decision has “absolutely zero” to do with money

Jets coach Rex Ryan says the fact that his team has millions of dollars tied up in a long-term contract for quarterback Mark Sanchez has nothing to do with his decision to keep Sanchez as the starting quarterback.At a press conference a few hours after Ryan informed the team that Sanchez will start Sunday against the Jaguars, Ryan was asked how much Sanchez’s contract has to do with his status as the starter. Ryan answered, “Absolutely zero.”

Ryan also denied that Jets owner Woody Johnson had put any pressure on him, saying that Johnson always tells him only that it’s his call who to play.“I don’t get any pressure from Woody,” Ryan said. “I’m fortunate. I have a great relationship with my owner, with Woody. We have conversations — open conversations — all the time. We can say things to each other and all that. But where I’m real fortunate is from the day Mr. Johnson hired me, he said it’s 100 percent my decision on who plays and what their role is. And that’s it.”

So why did Ryan decide to go with Sanchez ?

Ryan said it’s simple: Sanchez gives the Jets the best chance to beat the Jaguars on Sunday. And Ryan said the decision is “one I feel great about.”

> http://profootballta...-do-with-money/

Rex Ryan likely to return next year with Jets

Rex Ryan may not be on his way out after all. According to New York Daily News writer Manish Mehta, the Jets are more likely to move G.M. Mitch Tannebaum. Ryan is under contract in New York for two more years, and a firing would probably come next season when the Jets owe Ryan a lot less money. It also gives Ryan a chance to straighten things out in the Big Apple, as this season was a blip on the radar. As bad as things have been with the Jets from the end of last season through this year, Ryan will have a 50-50 rating in terms of making or missing the playoffs. As ruthless as the NFL is, unless you're A.J. Smith you don't fire a coach on a 50-50 hunch. Should Ryan miss the playoffs again next season, not only is it more justifiable to fire him then, but there will likely be a better coaching crop. As of now the top two candidates are Jon Gruden and Chip Kelly, both of whom will likely be going elsewhere if anywhere at all.

> http://www.fannation...ors/view/354732

The best thing this team could do for 2013, in terms of player personnel, is to do nothing in terms of veterans. We stand to accumulate a boatload of extra compensatory picks in 2014 if we don't piss them away on crappy 1-year patchwork FAs. No signing of other teams' UFAs unless they're truly special players who realistically figure to start here for at least 3-4 years.

Trade Revis while they still have him under contract and can still get something for him. Don't extend him, incredible as he is. Just a stupid, stupid amount of money for a CB even if he's the best I've ever seen (and he is). Nutty part about it is we wouldn't even get any cap relief if we manage to trade him. I would even say the same thing about Cromartie, though unlike Revis he would create some immediate space if dealt.

I would love a total gutting and in doing so you don't retain expensive players who have serious trade value, when they figure to be on the downside of their careers by the time the team is built up enough to be a serious SB contender. So while I love having Revis and Cromartie as starting CBs, I don't love them eating up over $20M/year off our caps in the years to come. Hell, Revis alone undoubtedly still wants at least $15M per (of new money) and we still have almost $10M of his current contract that hasn't hit our cap yet. Barring a miracle, including drafting a QB in 2013 who surprises the hell out of absolutely everyone and is RGIII/Luck awesome out of the gate, the earliest to figure that is 2015.

We could be looking at potential compensatory picks for anyone who gets a contract from someone else. Landry, Keller, DeVito, Slauson, and Moore. Re-sign Bell for another year. Doesn't cost any comp picks if you re-sign your own. I would like them to re-sign Landry but really have no idea what his demands would be, and my feeling on locking him up entirely depends upon that.

This team has zero chance in 2013. Zero. Overpaid stiffs, draft busts, cancers, underperformers, and dead cap space after cuts are going to gobble up some $60M of our cap space. With 7-8 starters becoming UFAs at the end of the season, no QB, and minimal cap room to replace any of these positions adequately, the best solution IMO is to not piss away the relatively clean slate we're going to get in 2014 to satisfy some false hopes this upcoming spring. Especially if it's done Tannenbaum-style where he backloads mega-deals to create some cap room in the first year of a new contract.

If that creates some extra space, then advance some of our big-money players' future money as roster bonuses in 2013 so they aren't such heavy hitters in 2014-2016. Ferguson and/or Mangold come to mind. Do NOT extend or in any way restructure the contracts of Harris, Sanchez, Holmes, or anyone else in an effort to lower their '13 cap numbers.

Would be great to be major FA players in 2014 with a boatload of draft picks. And if we then have "too many" 2014 draft picks then trade one or two of them for 2015 picks a round earlier.

Good post. Missing Mevis this season illustrates that he is not the crux of the biscuit when it comes to the defense or the team as a whole. The D has been no better or worse, with or without him.

Can Jets really make the playoffs ?

It would be one of the most amazing comeback stories of 2012.The New York Jets -- a team most left for dead -- still has a shot to the make the playoffs in January.

Yes, those Jets.

That team that recently benched its starting quarterback, lost its best defensive (Darrelle Revis) and offensive (Santonio Holmes) players and is known to backbite teammates on occasion.This isn't just a shot in the dark or not being mathematically eliminated. The Jets actually have a chance at the final wild-card slot in the AFC with just three weeks left in the regular season.New York (6-7) is one game behind the Pittsburgh Steelers (7-6) and Cincinnati Bengals (7-6), but the Jets have a much easier schedule.

Remaining Schedule

Team Week 15 Week 16 Week 17 Opponents' records Jets at Tennessee (4-9) San Diego (5-8) at Buffalo (5-8) 14-25 Steelers at Dallas (7-6) Cincinnati (7-6) Cleveland (5-8) 19-20 Bengals at Philadelphia (4-9) at Pittsburgh (7-6) Baltimore (9-4) 20-19

The key for the Jets is to win out. New York has three winnable games to close out the season, although two are on the road. Both the Steelers and Bengals have significantly tougher schedules. Nine wins by the Jets would put a ton of pressure on Pittsburgh and Cincinnati.The Steelers and Bengals play each other in Week 16. That will be an elimination game for one of these three playoff contenders. If the Jets keep winning, they have a chance to sneak into the playoffs.

> http://espn.go.com/b...ke-the-playoffs

Rex Ryan likely to return next year with Jets

Rex Ryan may not be on his way out after all. According to New York Daily News writer Manish Mehta, the Jets are more likely to move G.M. Mitch Tannebaum. Ryan is under contract in New York for two more years, and a firing would probably come next season when the Jets owe Ryan a lot less money. It also gives Ryan a chance to straighten things out in the Big Apple, as this season was a blip on the radar. As bad as things have been with the Jets from the end of last season through this year, Ryan will have a 50-50 rating in terms of making or missing the playoffs. As ruthless as the NFL is, unless you're A.J. Smith you don't fire a coach on a 50-50 hunch. Should Ryan miss the playoffs again next season, not only is it more justifiable to fire him then, but there will likely be a better coaching crop. As of now the top two candidates are Jon Gruden and Chip Kelly, both of whom will likely be going elsewhere if anywhere at all.

> http://www.fannation...ors/view/354732

God damned Mitch. That a$$hole has had it coming for years.

Good post. Missing Mevis this season illustrates that he is not the crux of the biscuit when it comes to the defense or the team as a whole. The D has been no better or worse, with or without him.

probably true...

i still hope he signs a long-term deal with us :winking0001:

cheers ~ ~

:cheer:

Despite Late Run , Jets Must Keep Eye on the Ball in Offseason

The Jets, to their credit, are sticking together, and playing well. Somehow, with wins and some luck, they have clawed their way back into the playoff race. Despite everything going on around them, the Jets have stuck to the plan, and are playing better. Rex Ryan has to get a great deal of credit for keeping this group playing well, and not letting them quit. The Jets are going to have to be careful, however. Playing well down the stretch could end up playing against them in the long term.

That is, unless the Jets keep their eye on the ball.

All season long, we have heard Mike Tannenbaum talk about that this team has “enough” weapons. Despite all of our protests to the contrary, he has said that this team is equipped and ready to go. You have seen the names that have been added to this roster, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Mardy Gilyard, Jason Hill getting signed and released like he is Billy Martin, Clyde Gates, and the list goes on. It’s not exactly a group of football players that are going to light anyone on fire are they ? Are defensive coordinators staying up nights planning for these guys ? Doubt it.

If the Jets finish 8-8 or 9-7, whether they make the playoffs or not, Mike Tannenbaum will have a lot of excuses laid out for him. The first, and one not to be forgotten about is his job. We all want Tannenbaum out, and the wins in the last few weeks have done nothing to change that, at least for any fans I have interacted with. Jets fans are not happy with his evaluation of talent, and want him out.

According to many sources, Tannenbaum has owner Woody Johnson under his thumb, so much so that it will take a lot for Tanny to be dismissed from the organization. Now, with the Jets enjoying such late season success, Mike might have just enough of Woody’s ear to save his job. Can you see it? “See, I told you this roster is close!”. It’s a scenario that we are all too familiar with when it comes to the Jets. Stay the status-quo with the “good enough”, rather than make changes to excel.

> http://thejetpress.c...l-in-offseason/

The Emergence of Bilal Powell

Over the last several games, the Jets running attack has come back to the forefront of the Jets game. The “Ground and Pound” hasn’t been great, but it has been markedly better than it was over the first part of the season, so much so they are able to use it to win games now. It has been no coincidence that the running attack has improved as the Jets moved to a “RBBC(Running Back By Committee)” system. More specifically, the game has stepped up with the emergence of Bilal Powell.

Yesterday, Bilal had a career high in carries with 19, and led the way with 78 yards and a TD. Jets fans have been calling for more carries for Powell for months, after watching how slow Shonn Greene can be as the lone ball carrier. Well, the Jets have answered the call of the fans, and the result has been improved play by Greene, and the emergence of Powell. Over the last four games, Powell has recorded 54 carries for 218 yards, a 4.03 yards per carry average, to go along with 4 TDs. If you project that over a 16 game schedule, here is what you get:

216 carries, 872 yards, 16 TDs.

Obviously, that’s a high TD number and I wouldn’t expect that. But imagine if he put up those numbers for carries and yards, and put up 6-10 TDs? Maybe that is not feature back numbers, but certainly the numbers of a guy that can be a complimentary back in the “Ground of Pound” system. Shonn Greene does a good job late after the defense is worn down. With Bilal’s speed, this could be an excellent one-two punch going forward.

Shonn Greene has not ever been dominant when he was the only guy. The Jets running attack has always been at its best when Greene has had someone with him, either Thomas Jones, or LaDainian Tomlinson. Could the Jets have found the guy to fill this role as they move forward? Time will tell, but all signs appear positive.

> http://thejetpress.c...f-bilal-powell/

AFC East Stock Watch

Let's take a look at whose stock is up and whose stock is down in the AFC East.

~ ~ Rising

~ 3. New York Jets: I must admit that I wrote off the Jets after their embarrassing Thanksgiving loss to New England. New York was 4-7 at the time and didn't look like a team capable of suddenly running the table. But the Jets have won two straight games, albeit against lousy opposition (Arizona and Jacksonville). Thanks to a lot of outside assistance, the Jets are just one game out of the final wild-card spot with three weeks to go. The playoffs start now for New York.

> http://espn.go.com/b...-stock-watch-28

Sanchez excited to have Edwards back

Braylon Edwards' former teammates are excited to have him back.

Several Jets, including quarterback Mark Sanchez, told the Newark Star-Ledger at Brandon Moore's charity event at the Newark Boys & Girls Club on Tuesday that they were glad to have the wide receiver back in the mix as the Jets make their push for the playoffs.

"It's awesome," Sanchez told the paper. "He'll fit right in, I'm sure."

Edwards played for the Jets in the 2009 and 2010 seasons and caught 88 balls and 11 touchdowns. While he never topped 1,000 yards in either of his two seasons with Gang Green, he helped the team to back-to-back AFC Championship game appearances."I was always fond of Braylon," Moore said to the Star-Ledger. "He made a lot of plays for us, won some games with him and had a lot of great experiences with him. We need the help with Stephen (Hill) going down, Santonio (Holmes), and all the other injuries we’re dealing with at that position. He can come in and help us right away. ... I'm all for it."In the two seasons since Edwards left the Jets he has caught just 23 balls for 255 yards and one touchdown while playing for the 49ers and Seahawks. This year, Edwards had just eight catches for 74 yards and one touchdown in 10 games with the Seahawks before his release.

"It's a good comfort level for him," linebacker David Harris said to the paper. "When he was here before he had a good connection with him. He goes out and lays it on the line for his quarterback, diving for passes, jumping over guys. Even better as a run-blocker, which he doesn’t get credit for. He’s going to be another huge piece for our wide receiver corps. Professional guy. So we look for a lot of positive things from him."Shortly before he was released from the Seahawks, Edwards defended Sanchez on twitter, tweeting "blame the idiots calling shots" and calling Sanchez a beast. In an interesting turn of events, those same "idiots calling the shots" signed Edwards and are now relying on him to help the team."That’s a funny sequence of events," Sanchez said to the Star-Ledger. "He’s a great player. We have a good chemistry together. I’m confident throwing him the ball. I don’t think that will change. Get him in the building soon and get him working."

> http://espn.go.com/b...ve-edwards-back

"It's a good comfort level for him," linebacker David Harris said to the paper. "When he was here before he had a good connection with him. He goes out and lays it on the line for his quarterback, diving for passes, jumping over guys. Even better as a run-blocker, which he doesn’t get credit for. He’s going to be another huge piece for our wide receiver corps. Professional guy. So we look for a lot of positive things from him."

LOL

Thoughts on McShay's first mock draft

The 2012 regular season isn't over for another three weeks. But it's never too soon to discuss the NFL draft.

ESPN draft guru Todd McShay provided his first mock draft in.gif, which provides an early preview of what teams will be looking for next April.

Let's take a look at McShay's picks in the AFC East division.

~ ~ New York Jets (6-7)

Current draft slot : No. 15

Needs : WR, RB, RT, S, QB

McShay’s pick : Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

Analysis : The Jets have a lot of needs, and it's pretty amazing that this team still has a solid shot at the playoffs. New York doesn't have the cap room to be aggressive in free agency. Therefore, the draft will be huge. McShay projects New York to take a right tackle in Matthews. Starter Austin Howard has been a decent find, but he's not the long-term solution. Matthews would give quarterback Mark Sanchez more front-side protection. But I would prefer the Jets get Sanchez better skill players.

rest of article :

> http://espn.go.com/b...irst-mock-draft

Nah.

They'll extend David Harris until he's 34 to lower his 2013 cap number and use that space to sign Freeney and Osi to be our pass rushers. Both will sign long-term deals with $30M+ guaranteed apiece, with low cap numbers in year 1 that will help blow up the influx of cap relief we were otherwise going to get in 2014 and beyond. They'll both still be good players in 2013 and the pre-season hype for how good they'll be will make it sound better than if we got both of them 6-8 years ago.

We'll also lower Revis' 2013 cap number by $1-2M by extending him a new contract that averages $17M/year. Revis will of course hold out 2 years into this new deal because even though his cap number will be $18M, his "base salary" will be only $8M and that will be too insulting for someone like him to play for.

Then they'll sign Dwayne Bowe for $14M/year with $42M guaranteed. He'll only put up about 800 yards with Sanchez throwing the rock, convincing his devout supporters that for (what will be) 5 years, we still haven't provided him with a real "true #1" receiver. But the seats will be filled because we Jets fans want to believe so badly we will ignore what is apparent to the rest of planet earth.

We still won't win anything, and it will keep us in cap hell for an extra 3 seasons, but it will help to bring the 2013 Jets from 4 wins to 8.

24300680.jpg

A Guide to Being Stuck With Sanchez

The Franchise QB—You Know, the One With 19 Turnovers—Likely Isn't Going Anywhere, So Here's How the Jets Can Cope

entering Monday's game at Tennessee, Mark Sanchez—who is due $8.25 million in guaranteed salary next season—has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns and has committed a league-high 11 fumbles.Mark Sanchez will be the Jets' starting quarterback next season.Of this, there is little doubt, and this assertion is in many ways unconnected from the quality of his play this year, which has been scattershot at best. Entering the Jets' game Monday night here against the Titans, Sanchez has completed just 55.4% of his passes, thrown more interceptions (13) than touchdowns (12) and has committed a league-high 11 fumbles. The team's shoehorning of Tim Tebow and the Wildcat formation into the offense reaped negligible benefit. If anything, it hindered Sanchez's development to the point that few members of the league's cognoscenti have a firm sense of what kind of quarterback he is or will be.That said, Sanchez is in all likelihood not going anywhere. When the Jets redrafted his contract during the off-season, they guaranteed him $8.25 million in base salary in 2013. Just 13 quarterbacks, according to records from the NFL's Players Association, will earn more in base salary next season, and over only one of those quarterbacks—Arizona's Kevin Kolb—would Sanchez be considered an obvious upgrade. He will be difficult to trade, and benching him already has proved an unwieldy task, as coach Rex Ryan learned earlier this month.

So rather than draft a quarterback who might succeed Sanchez (if such a player even exists in this year's draft) or acquire a replacement through a trade or a free-agent signing, the Jets would seem consigned to trying to make the most of Sanchez's time with the franchise. Here are some suggestions for how they can :

1. Maintain as much continuity in their receiving corps as possible.

In Sanchez's four years with them, the Jets have undergone persistent turnover at the wide receiver position, a trend that accelerated this season thanks to extended absences of wide receiver Santonio Holmes and tight end Dustin Keller. With those two, slot receiver Jeremy Kerley and rookie Stephen Hill, the Jets, one member of the front office said, entered the regular season thinking they had their most talented collection of skill-position players since the team drafted Sanchez in 2009.Instead, because of injuries great and small, 10 players have lined up at wideout, cornerback Antonio Cromartie among them, and last week the Jets brought back Braylon Edwards, a friend and favored target of Sanchez's, in an attempt to re-establish some semblance of familiarity. "Just play with what you have," Sanchez said.If the original group of receivers is really as talented as the Jets believe, general manager Mike Tannenbaum's course of action this off-season should be clear:Don't break up the group.Holmes will be healthy again.Hill and Kerley should improve through experience. Keller will enter free agency, but after an injury-riddled year, he ought to be easier to re-sign. It might even be worth signing Edwards to a one-year deal, just for Sanchez's peace of mind.

2. Bring in a veteran backup quarterback.

When the Jets traded for Tebow in March, speculation ran rampant that by midseason he'd be starting, that the playing time Sanchez would cede to the Wildcat would lead to his losing his job. But it didn't take long—a week, maybe two—for anyone around the Jets in training camp to recognize Tebow posed no real threat to Sanchez. If Tebow were to become their full-time quarterback, the Jets would have to implement an entirely new offensive system to accommodate his skills (or lack thereof). To attempt that in the middle of the season would have been foolish.Greg McElroy, who stepped in for Sanchez two weeks ago, may be a viable option at No. 2. Still, if the Jets want to create a true competition for Sanchez, they'd do well to acquire an established quarterback to challenge him—someone who, unlike Tebow, plays the position in a conventional manner.

3. Add depth at running back and the offensive line.

There is an argument to be made that under coordinator and play-caller Tony Sparano, the Jets' offense has regressed from last season, when Brian Schottenheimer was in charge of it. Ryan, though, favors Sparano's run-first, big-play philosophy, and again, for continuity's sake, it makes little sense to have Sanchez and the Jets start over with another offensive coordinator.As long as the Jets are going to stick with their "ground-and-pound" approach, they should fortify the positions that drive the running game. The better their running backs and offensive linemen are, the less the offense has to test Sanchez's propensity for making mistakes.

> http://online.wsj.co...SJ_topics_obama

The New York Jets have announced that quarterback Mark Sanchez will be benched this week against the San Diego Chargers. Greg McElroy, not Tim Tebow, will start.

Schein: Looking for a good QB

0ap1000000053195.jpgAdam Schein finds nine teams around the NFL -- like the More ...

The Jets sent out the following tweet: "#EA Greg McElroy has been named the Jets starting QB for Sunday's game with the San Diego Chargers."

The 14-10 loss to the Tennessee Titans was the final straw for Sanchez. He threw four interceptions and fumbled the ball on the Titans 25-yard line to end the final chance at a rally. Sanchez has thrown 13 touchdowns, 17 interceptions and completed just 54.8 percent of his passes this season.This is something that could have happened long ago.Jets coach Rex Ryan probably feels more comfortable making the change now that the Jets are eliminated from playoff contention.

Lombardi: Jets to stop kidding themselves and take a hard look at their roster. More ...

The bigger news is Tebow was passed over by McElroy, who was inactive vs. the Titans. Tebow was signed during the offseason to be the No. 2 quarterback, and when Sanchez is finally yanked, he's passed over? That in itself speaks volumes about how the coaching staff views Tebow. McElroy is not the quarterback of the future, so where does that leave the Jets ? The Tebow talk was constant throughout the season. It slowed recently with his injury. This will ramp it back up.

The Jets are officially a mess.

> http://www.nfl.com/n...arting-for-jets

Plenty of blame to go around for Jets

By MIKE VACCARO - December 18, 2012

Jets Blog

NASHVILLE — The record will show the 2012 Jets season expired 32 yards away from the end zone with 43 seconds left in one of the ugliest football games the mind could possibly conjure.

The record will show that Nick Mangold flubbed his snap, that Mark Sanchez couldn’t pluck the ball off the ground, that it glanced off Bilal Powell’s foot and finally came to rest under the delighted torso of Titans linebacker Zach Brown.The record will reflect that Tennessee quarterback Jake Locker took a knee, let the clock melt away, cinched a 14-10 victory that would have made Amos Alonzo Stagg weep, catapulted the Jets into what would surely have been their longest off-season ever, now grown extra large thanks to two meaningless games.The record will insist losing this game snuffed the Jets’ playoff hopes, that whatever combination of fortuitous breaks and bounces they would have needed even with an escape, none of it matters any more. The record will insist this all became official at 10:39, Central Time, when the final gun finally shattered the Tennessee night.

Of course, the record will tell only part of the story. It won’t include the woefully thin roster the front office tried all summer to sell as playoff-worthy. It won’t give voice to the string of horrendous performances that buttressed this buffoonery — blowout losses and thrown-away losses and even a gaggle of wins that felt like losses.Yes, the record will reflect the destruction of a quarterback, will detail the decimation of Mark Sanchez’s career, capped by the four interceptions he threw last night, what may well be the last night of his career as a franchise centerpiece.But it will give scant justice to the carnival into which he was thrust once his owner (or whomever) became hopelessly enchanted by Tim Tebow, a sideshow that hijacked the summer and never let go, even to last night; Sanchez was actually playing well, had led two substantive drives, and that’s when Tony Sparano decided to finally give Tebow his first full series of the season. In week 15. Beautiful. We now officially know Sparano’s record in Miami was no fluke.

Was it a coincidence Sanchez only started throwing picks last night after the Tebow interlude? Maybe it was. Sanchez hasn’t needed specs to start flailing the ball all year long. Or maybe it was just one more shovel of dirt piled on top of a once-promising career.Sanchez is the easy target. He always is. But it’s the whole operation that’s on the clock now. Sparano is the first one out the door; if a playoff-bound team can whack its offensive coordinator, as the Ravens did to Cam Cameron last week, Sparano’s comedic stylings should be exiled as soon as possible, with little need to wait for Week 17. Maybe he wasn’t graced with Hall of Fame talent but Sparano’s body of work this year has been amateurish at best, incompetent at worst.

Ryan ?

I would give him one more year, with a specific task: enough with reciting facts and figures after losses, enough benign detachment from the offense, enough living vicariously through the defense. If he wants to be a coordinator again, that can be arranged very easily. If he wants to be a head coach, prove it. Force-feed accountability. And hire someone who can tell an X from an O on the offensive side of the ball.As for general manager Mike Tannenbaum, he delights in presenting the Jets’ record in the big picture, delights in reminding everyone how this is, in many ways, the golden age of Jets history. If that’s so, it is only a reminder of how truly wretched much of that history is. If this season has taught him anything, it should be this: He and the other men who run the Jets have not cornered the market on football wisdom.

Let the record show the Jets’ season died on Dec. 17 but was a calamity in waiting from July 17. This is on everybody. If everybody pays, it’s a bill they’ve earned. All across five brutal months.

New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan was defiant.

Just as boldly as he's has made Super Bowl guarantees in the past, Ryan didn't blink, budge or waffle Tuesday from his gutsy decision to surpass two former first-round picks on his roster in favor of Greg McElroy, a 2011 seventh-round pick. That's a bold move for a head coach in danger of his second consecutive non-winning season.But Ryan took complete ownership of his decision to start McElroy over fellow quarterbacks Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez this week against the San Diego Chargers. Ryan said the decision was all his, which means he's ready to take the fall if McElroy doesn't pan out."That's what I feel in my gut," Ryan said via conference call. "I like what I saw from Greg against Arizona and I like what I see on the practice field. I truly believe it's best for our team right now. That's how I feel about it." Ryan has always claimed Sanchez gave the Jets the best chance to win. This is the first time in four years he's changed his tune in favor of McElroy. But you can't blame a change of heart after Sanchez committed a season-high five turnovers -- four interceptions and one fumble -- in Monday's 14-10 loss to the Tennessee Titans.

The biggest question is why not Tebow ?

The Jets made a big offseason trade to acquire Tebow but have been clueless with what to do with him. Tebow has been the No. 2 quarterback all season. He's recovered from his rib injury and is ready to start. However, Ryan passed him over for McElroy, which is a clear indication the Jets do not think much of Tebow as a quarterback."I know [Tebow] is a tremendous competitor. I don't doubt that at all," Ryan said, not budging. "But for right now, I think this move is best for our team in this game. I believe that and that's why I’m making the move that I’m making."New York’s quarterback situation is an utter disaster. And unless McElroy becomes the next Tom Brady, which is highly unlikely, it won’t get better anytime soon.The Jets asked for a quarterback circus and they certainly got one. Few believed the Sanchez-Tebow dynamic could work in New York, but this turned out to be even worse than most projected.

> http://espn.go.com/b...erback-decision

Archived