LaCanfora: Jets and Their Bloated Contracts

CrazyCarl40

Yea, I'm sure you're right. It was more of a reactionary idea to a one year competition for sanchez, with regards to not complicating cap in 2014. Ideally we bring in someone like Mike Glennon, who is my new QBcrush, to compete and start or sit behind sanchez for a year. But bottom line, they are going to have to dump tebow and bring in actual competition for Sanchez; be it Matt Moore (not sure if he's an UFA) or someone along those lines.

Just to plug it again; the Jets should take a long hard look at Mike Glennon.

Why would any decent backup QB come here when they see Sanchez playing the worst QB in the NFL and the bafoon coach not even dressing a backup?

Why would any decent backup QB come here when they see Sanchez playing the worst QB in the NFL and the bafoon coach not even dressing a backup?

Because of how poorly sanchez has played, it would be their best bet to start anywhere. I have no doubt in my mind rex would have rather gone into the season with Drew Stanton as his backup as opposed to Tim Tebow and would have plugged him in amidst sanchez's abysmal play. Obviously whatever backup signs here has to be assured they will get a fair chance as Stanton said he was guaranteed when he first signed the contract.

Because of how poorly sanchez has played, it would be their best bet to start anywhere. I have no doubt in my mind rex would have rather gone into the season with Drew Stanton as his backup as opposed to Tim Tebow and would have plugged him in amidst sanchez's abysmal play. Obviously whatever backup signs here has to be assured they will get a fair chance as Stanton said he was guaranteed when he first signed the contract.

They lie to everyone and don't even give themselves the option of benching their QB even when he's playing like the worst QB in the NFL. So yeah.

They lie to everyone and don't even give themselves the option of benching their QB even when he's playing like the worst QB in the NFL. So yeah.

I don't particularly see it as lying as much as it is coach-speak. You hear "sanchez gives us our best chance to win" I hear "While Sanchez is terrible, there's not a single QB on this roster capable of playing better than terrible," you hear I think this is the most talented team we have "I like the guys we have, but how am I going to publicly say that my GM has done a poor job of surrounding our team with talent," etc.

It's the nature of the beast. I personally feel that if there was a viable option on the team ala Matt Moore, Chad Henne or Drew Stanton, we would have seen Sanchez pulled for at least some of the garbage time. Believe what you will, but these Coaches aren't in the business of actively trying to lose their job. If there was something that would make us better, I'm sure they'd try it. Maybe his talent evaluation is off and McElroy could be a player, but he hasn't shown it in practice and for all intents and purposes Tebow has looked dreadful, like was reported in denver, in practice.

Additionally, future backup QBs can take Tanny's word that they'll be given a chance to start, because even though Stanton was eventually replaced, he was traded to a team of his choosing, which he ended up saying that Tanny did right by him and he holds no grudges at all. While he may be a terrible talent evaluator and assembler of talent, he hasn't seemed to burn any bridges with players, so I don't see particularly any reason why a backup wouldn't want to come here to compete.

BroadwayJoe12 has the right of it. Backup QBs will be willing to sign with the Jets if they feel that they'll be given a shot at starting. They'll regard Sanchez as "low hanging fruit" just as Trent Edwards was after the 2008 season. The thing is, in order to prove to backup QBs that they'll get a real shot, both Tannenbaum and Ryan probably have to go, and I'm not sure if your owner will take that step.

BroadwayJoe12 has the right of it. Backup QBs will be willing to sign with the Jets if they feel that they'll be given a shot at starting. They'll regard Sanchez as "low hanging fruit" just as Trent Edwards was after the 2008 season. The thing is, in order to prove to backup QBs that they'll get a real shot, both Tannenbaum and Ryan probably have to go, and I'm not sure if your owner will take that step.

Thats pretty much what i was saying. Hopefully the new FO won't be blatant liars.

Yes! Draft more defense! It's been working so well so far!

Note: sarcasm.

I understand what your saying, but you don't reach for a middle 1st talent at pick #5 because he is the bpa on the offensive side of the ball when there is a game changing defensive player available at that pick, and all 3 Teo, J Jones, and the Utah kid are going to be game changers, and all 3 play positions of needs for the Jets, rush LB, MLB, and NT (think Ngata), and also if you have pick #1 next season, and don't draft Clowney your going to really regret that decision, and quickly IMO.

Like I said get out of cap hell, draft nothing but Offensive players rounds 2-7, in both draft years, and in 2014 use the extra cap space you create by not extending players, and grab 2 VETERAN really solid to great OL'men, and hopefully find the next Andy Dalton in round 2 in one of those draft years, throw in the potential of Hill, and Kerley, we're just a WR, and RB short of being very good on O, but of course that all depends on if you find that QB, and this year IS NOT the year to draft a QB in the 1st round!

I understand what your saying, but you don't reach for a middle 1st talent at pick #5 because he is the bpa on the offensive side of the ball when there is a game changing defensive player available at that pick, and all 3 Teo, J Jones, and the Utah kid are going to be game changers, and all 3 play positions of needs for the Jets, rush LB, MLB, and NT (think Ngata), and also if you have pick #1 next season, and don't draft Clowney your going to really regret that decision, and quickly IMO.

Like I said get out of cap hell, draft nothing but Offensive players rounds 2-7, in both draft years, and in 2014 use the extra cap space you create by not extending players, and grab 2 VETERAN really solid to great OL'men, and hopefully find the next Andy Dalton in round 2 in one of those draft years, throw in the potential of Hill, and Kerley, we're just a WR, and RB short of being very good on O, but of course that all depends on if you find that QB, and this year IS NOT the year to draft a QB in the 1st round!

Correct. That would be high second rounder on Mike Glennon! Actually, in all honesty, I would not be surprised to see his name creep up into the bottom of the first. Really, the only reason he won't go there is that there are only a handful of teams desperate for QBs and they'll select Barkley and Smith right off the get go, so we should actually have a shot at a decent 2nd rounder. Glennon reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan and the more I think about it, he could definitely make a Joe Flacco type rise and get selected in the middle of the first, he's got that kind of arm talent.

Correct. That would be high second rounder on Mike Glennon! Actually, in all honesty, I would not be surprised to see his name creep up into the bottom of the first. Really, the only reason he won't go there is that there are only a handful of teams desperate for QBs and they'll select Barkley and Smith right off the get go, so we should actually have a shot at a decent 2nd rounder. Glennon reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan and the more I think about it, he could definitely make a Joe Flacco type rise and get selected in the middle of the first, he's got that kind of arm talent.

Don't know much about Glennon, I'm gonna have to check him out, my fear is that Teo, J Jones, and the Utah kid go picks 1,2, and 3, and G Smith is starring the Jets in the face, IMO neither Smith, or Barkley are deserving of a top 10 pick, they are just lucky to be in this weak ass QB class, hopefully the Jets can find that diamond in the rough in the 2nd, or 3rd whether it be Glennon, or whom ever, I like the Miss St. Kid Tyler Russell if he comes out this year, he would need to sit for a year, or 2, and get coached up on being consistent, but at 6'4", 220LBS, with the physical tools to make all the throws, and with good touch with the deep ball he would be a nice gamble, my favorite thing about him is he will step into a hit to make a throw you can't teach that.

Perhaps. One other way of getting a proven backup QB to sign here would be to bench Sanchez for even a single series already. We don't bring in a backup even to close out the last 3-5 minutes of blowout losses. Add that to Stanton's promise that he could compete for the #1 spot with Sanchez, then after the ink is dried, a week later being told he won't even be competing for the #2 job.

The only difference March 2012 and March 2013, and it may not be insignificant, is that Sanchez will no longer have multiple guaranteed years left on his deal. He may get unofficially guaranteed the starting job in week 1, but if (when) he's struggling by October the Jets won't have to worry about what to do with Sanchez the following year. They won't be in Sanchez or nothing mindsets anymore because they'll easily be able to afford to cut and replace him in 2014.

He needs to be benched first, though. And they need to dump Tebow. And if McElroy is really so irretrievably horrible, as Rex & co. would have us believe, that they can't justify putting him in for a single series or making him active when the #2 can't throw, then they should cut him also. Sanchez is coming back. Pair him with a backup - a real backup - and also draft someone else. Even if they don't like anyone as a potential starter and that draft pick is a later round guy who is intended to be the #3 QB with the hope of surprising. But if McElroy gets no playing time this year, then under no circumstances should this draft go by without using at least one pick on a QB.

Perhaps. One other way of getting a proven backup QB to sign here would be to bench Sanchez for even a single series already. We don't bring in a backup even to close out the last 3-5 minutes of blowout losses. Add that to Stanton's promise that he could compete for the #1 spot with Sanchez, then after the ink is dried, a week later being told he won't even be competing for the #2 job.

The only difference March 2012 and March 2013, and it may not be insignificant, is that Sanchez will no longer have multiple guaranteed years left on his deal. He may get unofficially guaranteed the starting job in week 1, but if (when) he's struggling by October the Jets won't have to worry about what to do with Sanchez the following year. They won't be in Sanchez or nothing mindsets anymore because they'll easily be able to afford to cut and replace him in 2014.

He needs to be benched first, though. And they need to dump Tebow. And if McElroy is really so irretrievably horrible, as Rex & co. would have us believe, that they can't justify putting him in for a single series or making him active when the #2 can't throw, then they should cut him also. Sanchez is coming back. Pair him with a backup - a real backup - and also draft someone else. Even if they don't like anyone as a potential starter and that draft pick is a later round guy who is intended to be the #3 QB with the hope of surprising. But if McElroy gets no playing time this year, then under no circumstances should this draft go by without using at least one pick on a QB.

If McElroy is so awful, at least have him hand off in a blow-out game. What harm is he going to do in a game where we are already getting killed? What, we are afraid an embarrassing type of play may occur?

What you at least do is send a message that play time is not guaranteed.

Rex is so concerned about hurting feelings, and not having to confront players that he has publicly supported, that he refuses to do it. That is not a leader, and until he goes, this is what we will get.

If McElroy is so awful, at least have him hand off in a blow-out game. What harm is he going to do in a game where we are already getting killed? What, we are afraid an embarrassing type of play may occur?

What you at least do is send a message that play time is not guaranteed.

Rex is so concerned about hurting feelings, and not having to confront players that he has publicly supported, that he refuses to do it. That is not a leader, and until he goes, this is what we will get.

Even if Rex actually believes Sanchez will turn the corner, why risk getting him injured on a meaningless play or series at the end of a blowout loss?

It really makes no sense.

Even if Rex actually believes Sanchez will turn the corner, why risk getting him injured on a meaningless play or series at the end of a blowout loss?

It really makes no sense.

I think it's part stubbornness and loyalty and part he's legitimately afraid he'll ruin the psyche of his mental midget of a quarterback even more.

It has to make you wonder why this mangement will not at least look at McElroy in a live game to see what he can do. that itself speaks to not doing what is best for this organization to evaluate what you have. damning evidence of mis management

It has to make you wonder why this mangement will not at least look at McElroy in a live game to see what he can do. that itself speaks to not doing what is best for this organization to evaluate what you have. damning evidence of mis management

Isn't that what the preseason was for? Technically the Jets are still alive in the playoff hunt. Until that changes, I doubt they make a change at QB, if at all. Mark is coming back next season, for sure.

I suffered through the knicks cap purge

I'll do it for these idiots

but if they keep all those stiffs to save money, I'm really not gonna be a part of the 2013 jests

At least with the Knicks we had a dream and plan of getting lebron; here there's no plan and really no dream but to rid ourselves of these contracts. I guess the only hope we have is that they're smart, unlikely, and don't extend any of these awful contracts they currently have (Harris, Holmes, Sanchez etc.) in order to get cap room this year. If they just stay the course and play it out, they'll be in a good situation going into 2014.

Ciminidiot chimes in:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/18211/clarifying-the-13-cap-situation

Clarifying the '13 cap situation

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

For some reason, the story of the Jets' cap situation for 2013 has gained momentum in recent days, fueling the perception that the team is headed for salary-cap hell. While it's true that the Jets are projected to be about $20 million over the cap in '13, it's important to understand the full scope of the situation.

They can get under the cap in a heartbeat. If they cut LB Bart Scott, OLB Calvin Pace and OT Jason Smith, they will clear nearly $28 million. Smith has an inflated cap number because of a $12 million roster bonus, which, of course, he never will see.

So these stories have been blown out of proportion. The problem with the Jets' cap is they have a lot of money tied up in only a few players. In fact, they have seven players with a combined cap total of about $80 million. That means about $45 million for the other 46 players.

Here are the Jets' big seven, all of whom are expected to be back in 2013:

LB David Harris -- $13 million

QB Mark Sanchez -- $12.9 million

WR Santonio Holmes -- $12.5 million

CB Antonio Cromartie -- $10.8 million

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- $10.7 million

C Nick Mangold -- $9.1 million

CB Darrelle Revis -- $9 million

Ciminidiot chimes in:

http://espn.go.com/b...3-cap-situation

Clarifying the '13 cap situation

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

For some reason, the story of the Jets' cap situation for 2013 has gained momentum in recent days, fueling the perception that the team is headed for salary-cap hell. While it's true that the Jets are projected to be about $20 million over the cap in '13, it's important to understand the full scope of the situation.

They can get under the cap in a heartbeat. If they cut LB Bart Scott, OLB Calvin Pace and OT Jason Smith, they will clear nearly $28 million. Smith has an inflated cap number because of a $12 million roster bonus, which, of course, he never will see.

So these stories have been blown out of proportion. The problem with the Jets' cap is they have a lot of money tied up in only a few players. In fact, they have seven players with a combined cap total of about $80 million. That means about $45 million for the other 46 players.

Here are the Jets' big seven, all of whom are expected to be back in 2013:

LB David Harris -- $13 million

QB Mark Sanchez -- $12.9 million

WR Santonio Holmes -- $12.5 million

CB Antonio Cromartie -- $10.8 million

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- $10.7 million

C Nick Mangold -- $9.1 million

CB Darrelle Revis -- $9 million

Too many of the team's starters suck (starting with the NFL's worst starting QB), their depth sucks, and they can't afford anyone to noticeably improve it. That is cap hell.

Oh yeah, and he's outlined quickie a way to get us $8M under the cap ($11M with Eric Smith who he left out). Certainly that will be enough to find us:

1. starting LG

2. starting RG

3. starting RT

4. starting FB

5. starting HB

6. starting WR (Hill may eventually be something but he sure hasn't earned a '13 starting job)

7. starting TE

8. starting OLB

9. another starting OLB

10. ILB with some starting experience in case Davis isn't ready.

11. starting safety

12. another veteran safety with starting experience in case Bell isn't ready to start 16 games

13. maybe a QB, in case anyone thinks that position matters

We should be just fine filling all those positions - adequately filling all those positions - with our draft picks and $11M or so of cap room. Oh yeah, and there's that other little thing about Revis and his extension that will cost the same as an All Pro QB.

Totally no problem. We got this.

Archived