My Fireman Ed Story....

joebabyny

Ok, so I know Ed is taking a bit of a beating right now by a lot of Jets fans, and people are saying things like he is an attention whore, gets paid by the Jets, it's all about him, etc. Well, truth be told, I never understood the resentment and hate he received from lots of fans on the messageboards. After something I witnessed earlier this season, nobody is ever gonna be able to tell me this guy isn't genuine and a class act.

Don't remember what game it was, either the Bills or San Fran game this season this year, but I am sitting in my regular seats in the 33rd row, sharing the same aisle with Ed who is down in row 1. The guys who have the seats next to me are at the game, and have their father with them, who was visibly pretty frail. During the end of quarter timeout at the end of the 1st, one of the guys runs down the aisle and I can see him get to Ed and is talking to him for a few minutes, before returning to his seats. A few minutes later I see Ed, in between plays during a time out, running up the stairs 2 at a time like he usually does when he runs up to use the bathroom or whatever else. But this time, he stops at my row and walks in and up to the guys frail looking father, puts his arm around him and embraces him for a solid 2-3 minutes, whispering in his ear and talking to him. The man cracked the biggest smile ever at this. Now, mind you, this is going on while everyone surrounding us is going apes#it. Ed just lingered there for 5-10 minutes talking to the guys and their father and taking photos with them and then anyone else who wanted one. He did this until he was literally dragged away by whatever stadium team rep who handles him.

After Ed left, I looked at the guy who went down originally to talk to Ed and asked what that was about. The guy tells me his father is battling cancer and not doing well and he went down to tell Ed and ask if he could stop by our row for a quick pic on his way up.

Now, first off, Ed didn't have to come by, and he certainly didn't have to stick around, hugging the guy and talking to him like they were old pals the way he did. As someone who has dealt with cancer myself and has had people I don't really know act fake concerned, I can usually spot the pretenders, and Ed was not being a pretender that day. I know after witnessing Ed take the time to run up the stairs to cheer up some old guy he didn't know that I would never begrudge him any of his fame. He was a class act.

Just thought this needed to be shared to counter the peanut gallery.

Ok, so I know Ed is taking a bit of a beating right now by a lot of Jets fans, and people are saying things like he is an attention whore, gets paid by the Jets, it's all about him, etc. Well, truth be told, I never understood the resentment and hate he received from lots of fans on the messageboards. After something I witnessed earlier this season, nobody is ever gonna be able to tell me this guy isn't genuine and a class act.

Don't remember what game it was, either the Bills or San Fran game this season this year, but I am sitting in my regular seats in the 33rd row, sharing the same aisle with Ed who is down in row 1. The guys who have the seats next to me are at the game, and have their father with them, who was visibly pretty frail. During the end of quarter timeout at the end of the 1st, one of the guys runs down the aisle and I can see him get to Ed and is talking to him for a few minutes, before returning to his seats. A few minutes later I see Ed, in between plays during a time out, running up the stairs 2 at a time like he usually does when he runs up to use the bathroom or whatever else. But this time, he stops at my row and walks in and up to the guys frail looking father, puts his arm around him and embraces him for a solid 2-3 minutes, whispering in his ear and talking to him. The man cracked the biggest smile ever at this. Now, mind you, this is going on while everyone surrounding us is going apes#it. Ed just lingered there for 5-10 minutes talking to the guys and their father and taking photos with them and then anyone else who wanted one. He did this until he was literally dragged away by whatever stadium team rep who handles him.

After Ed left, I looked at the guy who went down originally to talk to Ed and asked what that was about. The guy tells me his father is battling cancer and not doing well and he went down to tell Ed and ask if he could stop by our row for a quick pic on his way up.

Now, first off, Ed didn't have to come by, and he certainly didn't have to stick around, hugging the guy and talking to him like they were old pals the way he did. As someone who has dealt with cancer myself and has had people I don't really know act fake concerned, I can usually spot the pretenders, and Ed was not being a pretender that day. I know after witnessing Ed take the time to run up the stairs to cheer up some old guy he didn't know that I would never begrudge him any of his fame. He was a class act.

Good story. I truthfully don't understand why people hate on him either. People and their envy, it's pathetic.

Good story. I truthfully don't understand why people hate on him either. People and their envy, it's pathetic.

Agree to the people who would make it personal. Hating the man is absurd, hating the media/organization made mascot is something else. As I've said, it's not Ed's fault. The whole story from start to end is typical though. Only the Jets. Hopefully people leave Ed alone now. Glad he stepped down tbh. Let the guy just be a normal fan.

Agree to the people who would make it personal. Hating the man is absurd, hating the media/organization made mascot is something else. As I've said, it's not Ed's fault. The whole story from start to end is typical though. Only the Jets. Hopefully people leave Ed alone now. Glad he stepped down tbh. Let the guy just be a normal fan.

Agreed.

Thanks for sharing. Great story and definitely one that hits home with a lot of people.

I got nothing for love for Fireman Ed. Sucks fans are such obnoxious belligerent a$$holes.

This. At the end of the day, it just goes to show that 90% of adults never mature beyond the 17 year old version of themselves. Envy, jealousy, self-centered, you name it. Douchebags.

amazing all the good stories that are coming out. Nice to see...

About time.

I met the man twice. Once with my son and once with my brother. On both occasions he was genuinely nice and you could sense that he really enjoyed the comraderie. Big deal. He was a Dolphin fan 35 years ago. When I was a kid I was a Giants fan because of my dad but soon after picked MY team. The haters have become ingrained in our culture so I understand Eds decision. Who is to blame for this culture shift? I think its politicians.Just look how they lie, obfiscate,cheat etc. Our society now seems to think this is perfectly acceptable behavior. It just isnt worth it for him with how things are today. The same people that held ill will toward Ed when he was doing his thing are the same people who will purposely state negative reasons for his retiring.

I met Ed in Tampa during the Keyshown Bowl. After the Hback option pass to Chrebet that won the game he led us in a J-E-T-S chant. To this day one of my favorite moments as a Jets fan. Ed is a Jets fan and a good one at that. That is all that matters to me.

The only people who know are Ed and the organization. Everything else is purely speculation by people who want there to be a reason to hate the guy.

The new stadium killed it anyway. Ed im sure had his section and everyone he knew in the old place...it felt more real. In the new stadium him standing around the people in the lower level just looked fabricated. It wasnt the same.

The new stadium killed it anyway. Ed im sure had his section and everyone he knew in the old place...it felt more real. In the new stadium him standing around the people in the lower level just looked fabricated. It wasnt the same.

Give him a green parking pass and let him sit in the hundreds of empty seats in the club box section.

True, to a point. I agree that people not sitting around people they use to does take away from the new stadium. I miss the old stadium because there was this one crazy sonofabitch who would sit behind me and just made the games more fun. The nicknames he gave to players, and the fact that he was crazy enough to wear shorts to the games even in 10 degree weather made things more interesting. He was just nuts, but it was a fun kind of nuts. I miss that group.

Ed probably knows somebody who has cancer, or has passed away from it. Hard to get to a certain age and not.

My Mom has Stage 4 Cancer, and has gone into remission, and I lost two relatives this year to it. Cancer victims deserve all the support we can give. Had to smile with something like that over your head, for the person, or the family.

People who attack a guy like Ed are pretty sorry excuses for Jets fans......

BD

Ed was a product of the NFL Media in the early 90's. Foxjet & I know because we watched Ed become "Fireman Ed" at the NFL Draft so long ago.

That being said:

• Many believe that Ed became a part of the organization when Woody attempted the construction of a new stadium near the Javitz Center
  • His image grew from those events & at away games where the "Official" travel company of the New York Jets hired him to be at their mixer the night before a game as well as at the game itself

Now, do I blame him for going off - no.

Still, you have to read the article & make up your own mind:

ED ANZALONE

NEW YORK

Published: November 25, 2012 6:56 p.m.

Last modified: November 25, 2012 7:00 p.m.

On Thanksgiving night, I left the Jets game before halftime. This was the second time in a row I left before there were four zeroes on the clock. We have had much worse teams than this and I never left before. I pride myself in that, because I am not a quitter.

I decided to leave Thursday because the confrontations with other Jets fans have become more common, even though most Jets fans are fantastic.

This is an indication of how society has lost and is continuing to lose respect for one another. The stadium has become divided because of the quarterback controversy as well. The fact that I chose to wear a Mark Sanchez jersey this year and that fans think I am on the payroll — which is an outright lie — have made these confrontations more frequent. Whether it’s in the stands, the bathroom or the parking lot, these confrontations are happening on a consistent basis.

Although I can “hold my own,” I do not want to lose my temper and make a stupid mistake. I have a responsibility to the families and kids that enjoy the game and Fireman Ed.

I have enjoyed my time in chanting the greatest chant in all of sports. I have enjoyed meeting all the wonderful Jets fans around the world and look forward to the day we all can raise the Lombardi Trophy as one and celebrate a world championship down the Canyon of Heroes!

I will always love the Jets because they are in my heart, and I will attend games as usual, just not as Fireman Ed. God bless and, as always, let’s go Jets!

–Fireman Ed Anzalone was a New York City firefighter for two decades and has been a Jets fan since 1975.

+

http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/article/1156831--guest-column-fireman-ed-steps-away-but-not-as-fan

Ed was a product of the NFL Media in the early 90's. Foxjet & I know because we watched Ed become "Fireman Ed" at the NFL Draft so long ago.

That being said:

• Many believe that Ed became a part of the organization when Woody attempted the construction of a new stadium near the Javitz Center
  • His image grew from those events & at away games where the "Official" travel company of the New York Jets hired him to be at their mixer the night before a game as well as at the game itself

+

http://www.metro.us/...-but-not-as-fan

He sounds like an awful guy. LOL, people bitching about this dude are envious, insecure babies.

Listen, a guy can only be ****ed with and take the high road for so long. If you walk down the same alley every night, and every night you get ****ed with and people threaten you, eventually you have to do what any street smart individual with a lot to lose would do... stop walking down the alley.

I've had to do it myself. Some a$$holes don't stop until they get the altercation they want. It's a self-validation ritual for them. Normal people, like me, just want to mind their own ****ing business.

That being said:

+

http://www.metro.us/...-but-not-as-fan

Baumer - you are looking at a group of hundreds of people that even know Ed did the travel stuff. So I don't think that had much to do with his image at all. Only die-hard road trippers even know about it.

Archived