Jim Fassel

JFtoLong

For all the fans talking about how great Rex is, and how he is such a successful coach, and it would be so crazy to let him go.....

Jim Fassel won 2 divisions for the Giants, and went to a SB for the Giants.

He was far more successful as a HC.

Yet, the Giants knew he had gone as far as he could go, and went in another direction.

Their reward, two super bowl championships to date, possibly more coming.

Rex is a joke, he is like a luckier version of Herm Edwards.

He is not even as good of a HC as Jim Fassel.

The Giants kept Fassel around for 7 years though. The reason he got booted was actually because of that Super Bowl performance. The Giants front office and ownership was embarrassed by the team saying they were completely unprepared for the game and that the coach simply didnt get anyone ready. Apparently they were ready to fire him them but knew it couldnt be done off such a successful year. When they blew the 49ers game the next year they had all the ammo they needed and then canned him as soon as the wheels fell off in 2003. Not surprisingly Fassel never found another head coaching job in the NFL.

The Giants kept Fassel around for 7 years though. The reason he got booted was actually because of that Super Bowl performance. The Giants front office and ownership was embarrassed by the team saying they were completely unprepared for the game and that the coach simply didnt get anyone ready. Apparently they were ready to fire him them but knew it couldnt be done off such a successful year. When they blew the 49ers game the next year they had all the ammo they needed and then canned him as soon as the wheels fell off in 2003. Not surprisingly Fassel never found another head coaching job in the NFL.

Hmmm, sounds like the steelers game in the AFCC!

We now have our ammo, trim the rest of the fat!

I think it is time the Jets understand that the league has become an offensive league. We need a head coach with an offensive mind set who brings with him a system and teachers who can develop offensive players. We also need to be more aggressive with drafting QB's. The position is so important in this league that you can't look at need, you have continue to acquire talent and hope you find the next Aaron Rodgers at some point. Carry 4 QB's if you have to, but keep scouting and drafting talent. You can't have a situation where you have no faith in your back up or your number 3 guy. We have seen that the worst thing that happens when you acquire surplus QB talent is that you end up with a tradeable commoditity.

Ravens fans were the best after that. He'll turn Boller around!

Fassel got fired a few years after that Super Bowl loss, actually. I don't think the Super Bowl loss was the primary reason for his firing.

Fassel was a Norv Turner type-a guy prized for his offense but with serious questions about whether he could motivate his team consistently. Fassel was on the chopping block a couple of times but he pulled it out by late season playoff runs. The Super Bowl loss was awful, but what really got him fired was that his last two years the season ended when his team was unable to execute field goals properly-not missed the FG, was unable to get a real attempt off. Since the mark of a good coach in charge of his team is that the basics are always executed, this put the nail in the coffin for Fassel.

I remember he got called in as a supplementary coach on offense for some team and it didn't work out,and that seemed to be the end of him. So maybe there was something wrong with Fassel, because usually someone with his credentials gets hired as a coordinator and frequently gets another shot as a head coach some years later.

I think it is time the Jets understand that the league has become an offensive league. We need a head coach with an offensive mind set who brings with him a system and teachers who can develop offensive players. We also need to be more aggressive with drafting QB's. The position is so important in this league that you can't look at need, you have continue to acquire talent and hope you find the next Aaron Rodgers at some point. Carry 4 QB's if you have to, but keep scouting and drafting talent. You can't have a situation where you have no faith in your back up or your number 3 guy. We have seen that the worst thing that happens when you acquire surplus QB talent is that you end up with a tradeable commoditity.

This x 10000000

I completely lost faith in Rex when he hired Sparano.

Of told me he doesn't get it, and never will.

The last forever HC of the Jets have been defensive guys, in what is now an offensive league.

I would be fine with a defensive HC, if we had a true offensive mind running the offense, not Schitty or Sparano.

Until we get with the times, we will struggle.

What is even more disturbing is that all the focus has been on the defense, and they are no better than average, and that may be generous.

The longer we go with Rex, the longer it will take to get out of this mess.

Fassel got fired a few years after that Super Bowl loss, actually. I don't think the Super Bowl loss was the primary reason for his firing.

Fassel was a Norv Turner type-a guy prized for his offense but with serious questions about whether he could motivate his team consistently. Fassel was on the chopping block a couple of times but he pulled it out by late season playoff runs. The Super Bowl loss was awful, but what really got him fired was that his last two years the season ended when his team was unable to execute field goals properly-not missed the FG, was unable to get a real attempt off. Since the mark of a good coach in charge of his team is that the basics are always executed, this put the nail in the coffin for Fassel.

I remember he got called in as a supplementary coach on offense for some team and it didn't work out,and that seemed to be the end of him. So maybe there was something wrong with Fassel, because usually someone with his credentials gets hired as a coordinator and frequently gets another shot as a head coach some years later.

My point on this was that Fassel was more successful with the Giants than Rex with the Jets, and the Giants fired him and win two superbowls with his successor.

For all the fools backing Rex for his two lucky AFCC games, neither won, followed by a collapse of the franchise, you have to know when to let go.

Everyone is ready to move on past Sanchez, rightfully so, he and Rex have done the same thing as QB and HC record wise, respectively.

Everyone is ready to move on past Sanchez, rightfully so, he and Rex have done the same thing as QB and HC record wise, respectively.

Fair enough. It's the fourth year of this program, Sanchez is not the only part not working out, and if you decide it's time to get rid of Sanchez then it's also time to get rid of the guys who selected him and coached him.

Archived