I want Sanchez to keep his starting job the rest of the season

slats

First of all, let's get this out of the way, Mark Sanchez sucks. He's clearly regressed this year. I don't know if there's any hope for him, but if there is, it won't be with the Jets. He has to go.

But, as much as I continue to be a fan who wants the Jets to win games, I'm afraid that Tim Tebow will come in and win games.

What?

Yeah, that's what I think. But I also think Tebow really sucks, too. But the Jets have such an easy schedule the rest of the season, even Mark can win a couple/few games. Tebow coming in would probably spark the team to win one or two more than Sanchez would win. Not because Tebow is any good, but because change itself would create that spark.

So then what happens? If the Jets finish the year 4-1 with Tebow under center, there's gonna be a lot of unfounded optimism in Jets HQ, and with a large segment of the fans. People could keep their jobs (cough: Tannenbaum) who deserve to be fired, the team could put less of an emphasis on the QB position because they think they may have the solution in Tebow, and the team winds up set back for yet another year.

2013 is going to be difficult either way, with finding a starting QB probably at the top of the list of difficulties, but sticking with the same front office and Tim Tebow at QB would be a disaster. A strong finish could give Tanny the mandate to defer cap hits into the future rather than cutting the dead weight that needs to be cut. The whole thing makes me sick.

So yeah, go Mark. Woohoo.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're going to get your wish, unless there is an injury. I'd prefer never to see him take another snap as a NY Jet because he's the worst QB I've seen in a long long time...but to each his own.

Truth is, if Mark was capable of not turning the ball over for the rest of the season, the Jets could win out. But, that is impossible because he sucks so hard and he'll turn the ball over twice a game for the rest of the season against sh*t competition like usual and we'll probably end up 8-8 or 7-9 still because the schedule is that easy.

The real question is, can he top the butt fumble before the end of the season?

all year people have been pretending there is a controversy. There was never a controversy. Mark played better in preseason, he plays better in practice, and he's being paid 10x more than Tebow. The only way tim will play is if Mark gets hurt. What's so hard to understand?

Couldn't possibly agree more, very well said. I've been saying just about the same since it became clear how much incredibly easier the Jets late season schedule was and that Tebow wouldn't be getting any real playing time prior to then. A late season change has nothing but complete disaster written all over it. Things are going to be bad enough, the last thing this f'n team needs is one or two (and I don't even want to think about any more than that) years of the one passer who was worse than Sanchez in 2011 under center. At least with Sanchez, they have the excuse that dipsh*t Tanny forced them to have to hold onto him for the time being because of that moronic contract, but there's no such excuse with Tebow.

all year people have been pretending there is a controversy. There was never a controversy. Mark played better in preseason, he plays better in practice, and he's being paid 10x more than Tebow. The only way tim will play is if Mark gets hurt. What's so hard to understand?

If the reason the Jets haven't been playing Tebow is because of the escalators that would kick in if he plays x% of plays, then it's very possible they could go with him the rest of the way knowing he wouldn't be able to hit those incentives.

Disaster, IMHO.

If the reason the Jets haven't been playing Tebow is because of the escalators that would kick in if he plays x% of plays,

the reason is Mark's salary. You don't pay a guy 800k a game to hold a clipboard. It's not like playing Tebow gives them a discount on Mark's contract.

First of all, let's get this out of the way, Mark Sanchez sucks. He's clearly regressed this year. I don't know if there's any hope for him, but if there is, it won't be with the Jets. He has to go.

But, as much as I continue to be a fan who wants the Jets to win games, I'm afraid that Tim Tebow will come in and win games.

What?

Yeah, that's what I think. But I also think Tebow really sucks, too. But the Jets have such an easy schedule the rest of the season, even Mark can win a couple/few games. Tebow coming in would probably spark the team to win one or two more than Sanchez would win. Not because Tebow is any good, but because change itself would create that spark.

So then what happens? If the Jets finish the year 4-1 with Tebow under center, there's gonna be a lot of unfounded optimism in Jets HQ, and with a large segment of the fans. People could keep their jobs (cough: Tannenbaum) who deserve to be fired, the team could put less of an emphasis on the QB position because they think they may have the solution in Tebow, and the team winds up set back for yet another year.

2013 is going to be difficult either way, with finding a starting QB probably at the top of the list of difficulties, but sticking with the same front office and Tim Tebow at QB would be a disaster. A strong finish could give Tanny the mandate to defer cap hits into the future rather than cutting the dead weight that needs to be cut. The whole thing makes me sick.

The notion that the Jets can win with Tebow at QB is ridiculous. Have you seen the play calling that this genius coaching staff employs? They are unable to call a game to the skill of any player, let alone an unconventional player with few true QB skills

The OC and never having a legit #1 receiver has f'd Sanchez all season.

Yeah, it's on the list of reasons for his horrible play just below his complete inability to read a defense, his horribly inaccurate throws, and his incessant need to pump fake in the direction he intends to pass five times before throwing the ball. But yeah, after that, it's totally the fault of everyone else.

the reason is Mark's salary. You don't pay a guy 800k a game to hold a clipboard. It's not like playing Tebow gives them a discount on Mark's contract.

i truly believe GMAC would be better than sanchunks, very smart, won a NC at Bama, he knows to stay away from lineman's azzes. He will never take a snap cause it would create a firestorm

Yeah, it's on the list of reasons for his horrible play just below his complete inability to read a defense, his horribly inaccurate throws, and his incessant need to pump fake in the direction he intends to pass five times before throwing the ball. But yeah, after that, it's totally the fault of everyone else.

Yep, the receivers have been getting separation all season.

He will never take a snap cause it would create a firestorm

like tebow, Mcelroy never will take a snap because of Sanchez's salary. Businessmen don't like to pay huge sums of money to disgraced employees to do nothing. If they are paying Mark, and he's healthy, he's playing. until at least end of 2013.

Sanchez hasn't regressed. He's the same player as he was before... Now he just doesn't have the talent around him to bail him out.

I mostly agree, but I think he's such a weak little pussy he's still gotten even worse. You would think by Year 4 experience would make up for SOME of his shortcomings but they haven't. The fact that he's still putting up about the same numbers as he was as a rookie means he's regressed at least slightly.

If the Jets staff had an inkling that Tebow or McElroy had an ounce of talent for the QB position, they'd probably see some time. Obviously both are probably garbage (I say probably because McElroy has had the chance to prove in a real game that he is garbage, but he is).

Get used to Sanchez for at least another half of a season.

like tebow, Mcelroy never will take a snap because of Sanchez's salary. Businessmen don't like to pay huge sums of money to disgraced employees to do nothing. If they are paying Mark, and he's healthy, he's playing. until at least end of 2013.

Disagree. All bets are off next year, even if Rex and Tanny are still with the organization. If they're gone, so are Sanchez' starting opportunities.

Disagree. All bets are off next year, even if Rex and Tanny are still with the organization. If they're gone, so are Sanchez' starting opportunities.

Woody cuts the checks and no way he wants to pay 10 million dollars for Sanchez to hold a clipboard in Oakland or wherever. firing Tanny won't get rid of Sanchez. Not until 2014 no matter who is in charge.

This logic is why we suck but our dipsh*t front office obviously agrees with you. I play a lot of poker and I've learned once my money is in the pot it's already in there, I might have thought my cards where good but if I know I'm beat it doesn't make any sense to keep playing the hand. Tanny is the a$$hole who won't fold cause he doesn't want to admit he's wrong. Sanchez is a lost cause, the extension was ridiculous even before Sanchez's abortion of a season. Our quarterbacks are collecting X amount of dollars every week regardless of who starts, holds a clipboard, has broken ribs. Outside of love struck Courtney we all realize this dreamboat is sunk and I'd rather see what anybody else can do.

If the Jets staff had an inkling that Tebow or McElroy had an ounce of talent for the QB position, they'd probably see some time. Obviously both are probably garbage (I say probably because McElroy has had the chance to prove in a real game that he is garbage, but he is).

Get used to Sanchez for at least another half of a season.

Have you gotten the impression that our coaching staff has a ****ing clue what's going on? They went into a primetime game Thanksgiving night without a backup QB or a real gameplan

What?

I want you to know, because I respect your opinions so much, that not being able to hoot about not-winning our almost-bet regarding Mark starting 11 games hurts. I did not account for Rex being suicidal.

This logic is why we suck but our dipsh*t front office obviously agrees with you. I play a lot of poker and I've learned once my money is in the pot it's already in there, I might have thought my cards where good but if I know I'm beat it doesn't make any more sense to keep playing the hand. Tanny is the a$$hole who won't fold cause he doesn't want to admit he's wrong.

the poker analogy is interesting. the difference is that if Tanny folds he's done. He can't admit Sanchez was a mistake and keep his job. That was true in the spring and it's true now.

Have you gotten the impression that our coaching staff has a ****ing clue what's going on? They went into a primetime game Thanksgiving night without a backup QB or a real gameplan

You championing the 3rd string QB doesn't help your argument.

You championing the 3rd string QB doesn't help your argument.

What argument? I stated a fact, the coaching staff has proven themselves incompetent and admitted to not having a second QB Thanksgiving. I've never heard of anything like that. Your the one felating a guy who has no right being a starting QB right now but our front office/staff/people like you can't admit they're clueless, make excuses and don't hold him accountable for play that should have gotten any QB benched.

What argument? I stated a fact, the coaching staff has proven themselves incompetent and admitted to not having a second QB Thanksgiving. I've never heard of anything like that. Your the one felating a guy who has no right being a starting QB right now but our front office/staff/people like you can't admit they're clueless, make excuses and don't hold him accountable for play that should have gotten any QB benched.

You are entitled to your opinion, Tebow would of played, no? This team being bad goes way beyond the QB.

You are entitled to your opinion, Tebow would of played, no? This team being bad goes way beyond the QB.

Yeah and it starts with a lack of accountability on every level of the organization. Sanchez's mistakes are comical at this point. Other then salary and stupidity why is he still in there? You can put Kerley behind center at this point for all I care. Even if you're crazy enough to think Sanchez can still be a good QB coddling him obviously hasn't worked.

Woody Johnson, businessman. lol

I get what you're saying, but this made me laugh.

Even still...as much as no one likes paying someone to do nothing, I don't know that they like it any more to have huge errors - that they're paying for - front and center and on TV to remind him and all his friends and business associates.

Better? What does that mean, 'better'? You realize that every single starting QB in the game (rookies included) has outperformed Mark thusfar? Every single one, unless you want to start counting Charlie Batch now.

Even still...as much as no one likes paying someone to do nothing, I don't know that they like it any more to have huge errors - that they're paying for - front and center and on TV to remind him and all his friends and business associates.

I don't want to get into the Woody bashing game cause he doesn't meddle in football operations. That's usually a good trait for an owner.

If Woody ran the team like Paul Brown (or how Al Davis used to do, and Jerry Jones still does) I could get into that mode of bashing Woody. But that's a futile game, it's pointless. Fans can't force an ownership change.

And it's not fair to Woody. He's not even Meddling. the worst offense he made was hiring Tanny? Look at Tanny's resume he was in the room with alot of famous football people. He did a decent job for a while and probably will do a decent job somewhere else. He's not Ron Wolf or a difference maker and that can be said about the Jets at every key position from owner, gm, hc and Qb. the franchise needs a difference maker on some level.

As for woody himself he's a little snake bit for a billionaire, but hes not the problem with the Jets.

Better? What does that mean, 'better'? You realize that every single starting QB in the game (rookies included) has outperformed Mark thusfar? Every single one, unless you want to start counting Charlie Batch now.

that might be true and Timmy Tebow could still be a worse choice. He has a couple broken ribs as it is, what are we arguing about? Can't run the spread option with broken ribs.

since we are talking about injury the Jets have been lucky in other years avoiding that season killing injury, a la vinny T in 1999. the Jets had a true season killer with Revis. Holmes didnt help, neither did missing Pouha for half the season. But 24 was the big loss.

The reason I bring this up is cause it seems so far away from right now. And it doesn't excuse the embarrassment of thanksgiving night.

But neither is it completely unrelated. there is some context to what is happening with the team and the simplest answer is they lost their best player in week 3. Tanny and Rex (and Mark) could very well survive this season.

In fact I don't think the team has another plan. I am not saying this is right or fair, but it's a likely outcome.

Just because you keep pushing this doesn't make it more true.

Its called a sunk cost and "businessmen" recognize that.

If Woody ran the team like Paul Brown (or how Al Davis used to do, and Jerry Jones still does) I could get into that mode of bashing Woody. But that's a futile game, it's pointless. Fans can't force an ownership change.

Fans can't force a coaching change or a front-office change or a personnel change either. Maybe Max should just sell the server space to Go Daddy and we should all sit on our hands and nod silently as events continue to spiral further and further out of our control.

Archived