Let's Play The What If Game

Lupz27

The question again is, in the biggest game of the year to date, did the Jets come out flat?

And thats Rex's fault? Sorry bud, I'm not buying it. I highly doubt Rex's preparation was any different. In fact, I can distinctly remember him saying that Big Ben is one of the hardest people to prepare for in the league and they were as focused as they'd ever been.

Besides, if you're a player, playing on that stage for all the marbles...you shouldnt need motivation from anyone other than yourself. Period.

The Steelers came out extremely physical. The Jets didnt have an answer. It happens. Its not because Rex Ryan didnt have his team ready. I dont buy that. Not after what they did to Manning and Brady in back to back weeks.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And thats Rex's fault? Sorry bud, I'm not buying it. I highly doubt Rex's preparation was any different. In fact, I can distinctly remember him saying that Big Ben is one of the hardest people to prepare for in the league and they were as focused as they'd ever been.

Besides, if you're a player, playing on that stage for all the marbles...you shouldnt need motivation from anyone other than yourself. Period.

The Steelers came out extremely physical. The Jets didnt have an answer. It happens. Its not because Rex Ryan didnt have his team ready. I dont buy that. Not after what they did to Manning and Brady in back to back weeks.

The coach is the one who sets the tone.

If a team comes out flat in a big game, that is on the coach.

That sis what you have a coach for.

Werent ready to play is just an excuse for getting manhandled. You really think that the team wasnt ready to play at a shot for the SB? Doubt it.

They got pushed around. It happens. Especially against a physical team like the Steelers on the road, in the playoffs, 2nd time visiting their stadium that year, after 2 spectacular defensive efforts vs. 2 of the best QB's of all time.

Plus, people forget, the Steelers came out flat vs. the Ravens the very game before the Jets. They had to make a comeback effort to win, dominated the 2nd half, and the rest is history.

Gettting pushed around is coming out flat. Revis admitted it. Team wasn't into that game like they were the week before. Its sports....they put all their eggs in the Patriots basket and felt satisfied. Its unfortunate for the fans, but the players and Rex felt they won the SB that year.

The Sanchez fumble shouldnt have been a TD...and the offense finally got going in the second half....but still the defense just didnt have their usual swagger that game. The last drive was a kick in the nuts.

Gettting pushed around is coming out flat. Revis admitted it. Team wasn't into that game like they were the week before. Its sports....they put all their eggs in the Patriots basket and felt satisfied. Its unfortunate for the fans, but the players and Rex felt they won the SB that year.

They celebrated like kids on Christmas after that Patriots game and felt the hangover the next week.

Maybe Rex is a guy who can only get a team jacked up every so often. He can't have the sustained runs that it takes to win a Super Bowl. Other coaches have created upsets in playoffs, and finished the deal.

Rex does not seem to be one of those guys. He would rather be the guy participating in the party, rather than the one controlling it

Flat or relaxed? If they won they would have been relaxed.

It's easy to be "into it" when you are running into a buch of finesse pansies and a little tougher in Steeltown when big bodies are roughing you up. I don't give Rex any credit for what happened in Pittsburgh, but to act like it was an unpardonable sin is moronic. The team - not a very good team according to most got farther than they were supposed to. I suppose maybe they are schizophrenic like Dierking says, but he would complain about schizophrenia when discussing Howard Hughes

They celebrated like kids on Christmas after that Patriots game and felt the hangover the next week.

Maybe Rex is a guy who can only get a team jacked up every so often. He can't have the sustained runs that it takes to win a Super Bowl. Other coaches have created upsets in playoffs, and finished the deal.

Rex does not seem to be one of those guys. He would rather be the guy participating in the party, rather than the one controlling it

The Patriots game is one of my favorite memories as a fan...we all were hungover from that win. You could feel it is a fan even...like holy sh*t we still have another game next week? The Pats game was exhausting. But that's on Rex...he went about that win the entirely wrong way.

You are so full of sh*t. He can't have deep playoff runs? He did twice. They are doing bad now. He looks like he lost the team now. In 2010 and 2009 he did more with those sh*theads than anybody else could have. I don't give a **** if he was doing blow off of Holmes ass in the lockers - they were winning and they were winning because of him.

It's easy to be "into it" when you are running into a buch of finesse pansies and a little tougher in Steeltown when big bodies are roughing you up. I don't give Rex any credit for what happened in Pittsburgh, but to act like it was an unpardonable sin is moronic. The team - not a very good team according to most got farther than they were supposed to. I suppose maybe they are schizophrenic like Dierking says, but he would complain about schizophrenia when discussing Howard Hughes

This is ridiculous. Its easier to get into the Patriots game? It was the AFC title game for christs sakes. I realize these victories dont mean as much to most of the players as it does to the fans.....but the first half of the Steelers game and the no show is forever going to follow Rex.

Revis said "relaxed" and "flat"

The tackling certainly resembled that. No sense of urgency from a game-calling stand-point, until it was too late.

rex and his stupid "defer until the second half" allowed the Steelers to come at the Jets. If you are going to choose to come out on defense, you better have the unit ready. They were not.

The coach is the one who sets the tone.

If a team comes out flat in a big game, that is on the coach.

That sis what you have a coach for.

No. Leaders on the field set the tone. Rex is on the sidelines. You want him to go out there and tackle?

lol

The Sanchez fumble shouldnt have been a TD...and the offense finally got going in the second half....but still the defense just didnt have their usual swagger that game. The last drive was a kick in the nuts.

Meh, Ben was 10-19 w/ 0 tds and 2 picks. They just got pushed around in the first half at the LOS. Something they werent doing all year long. sh*t happens.

Nobody on defense stepped up. I dont blame that on Rex. I highly doubt he took that game lightly. He knew what was at stake and I dont give a **** what Revis says, so did every single player on that team. You're fool to think otherwise, especially since it was the 2nd time in a row in that situation and a 3rd time in a row for Rex.

No. Leaders on the field set the tone. Rex is on the sidelines. You want him to go out there and tackle?

lol

Meh, Ben was 10-19 w/ 0 tds and 2 picks. They just got pushed around in the first half at the LOS. Something they werent doing all year long. sh*t happens.

Nobody on defense stepped up. I dont blame that on Rex. I highly doubt he took that game lightly. He knew what was at stake and I dont give a **** what Revis says, so did every single player on that team. You're fool to think otherwise, especially since it was the 2nd time in a row in that situation.

Exactly what does Rex do as coach then? Better yet, what does he do well. Serious answers only, please.

lol

Nobody on defense stepped up. I dont blame that on Rex. I highly doubt he took that game lightly. He knew what was at stake and I dont give a **** what Revis says, so did every single player on that team. You're fool to think otherwise, especially since it was the 2nd time in a row in that situation.

Why dont you care what Revis says? It was pretty apparent in the first quarter the team wasnt ready to play.

The Jets psyche is schizophrenic, just like their head coach. As a team, they seem unable to control the highs and lows of a individual games, and take time to set a balanced tone.

This stems from leadership. Leadership should be there to maintain and control team temperament and set the pace. What we get is extremes.

You are so full of sh*t. He can't have deep playoff runs? He did twice. They are doing bad now. He looks like he lost the team now. In 2010 and 2009 he did more with those sh*theads than anybody else could have. I don't give a **** if he was doing blow off of Holmes ass in the lockers - they were winning and they were winning because of him.

I'd rather not debate the past...all I'll say...the team was flat against Pittsburgh...expected Rex to learn from it...he has not...but you both hit on points that are spot on...1. Rex's leadership...IMO...Rex hasn't been the same since the whole foot fetish revelation and I wonder if that has affected him...2. Rex and the team both look lost. Rex deserves a major portion of blame here...he valued bravado over leadership...it shows in the construction/play of the team. The other is the complete dysfunction of the offensive unit...moving forward I have zero confidence he can pull us out of this tailspin...time to move on.

Exactly what does Rex do as coach then? Better yet, what does he do well. Serious answers only, please.

He puts them in position to win. Just like they did the 2 games before that. Those game plans were brilliant. Drew Coleman as a DE? He out smarted Manning and Brady and BB for that matter. You ignore that and thats fine because thats your thing. For some reason, you cant grasp how incredibly difficult it is to win with the type of QB play that Rex has had here with the Jets and cant give him credit for what he accomplished his first 2 seasons, again cool, you dont like him and I'm not going to change your mind. But I think your off the mark.

Rex is a good HC. I think he's a great defensive mind. I think he should be fired because of his allegiance to Mark Sanchez, which IMO, is ultimately why the Jets suck. A good QB changes everything, just look at the Colts.

He puts them in position to win. Just like they did the 2 games before that. Those game plans were brilliant. Drew Coleman as a DE? He out smarted Manning and Brady and BB for that matter. You ignore that and thats fine because thats your thing. For some reason, you cant grasp how incredibly difficult it is to win with the type of QB play that Rex has had here with the Jets and cant give him credit for what he accomplished his first 2 seasons, again cool, you dont like him and I'm not going to change your mind. But I think your off the mark.

Rex is a good HC. I think he's a great defensive mind. I think he should be fired because of his allegiance to Mark Sanchez, which IMO, is ultimately why the Jets suck. A good QB changes everything, just look at the Colts.

Is it too much to ask to have brilliant game plans and a team ready to go, 3 games in a row? because, that is what it takes to win a SB. Other teams do it.

If Rex is incapable, and can only string a couple in a row, he is of no use. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, as they say. Rex seems to want to celebrate moral victories.

Why dont you care what Revis says? It was pretty apparent in the first quarter the team wasnt ready to play.

Because its bull sh*t excuses run of the mill answers that you give the media when you just got your sh*t pushed in. Over half the the team was there the year before and felt the heart ache of blowing a lead in the AFCG. Again, do you really think that every single person on that team didnt know what was at stake? Players like Jason Taylor, LT and Richardson who were all Vets yet to win a SB? Com'e on man. I'm not buying that for a second.

You played sports, right? Did you need your coach to tell you what was at stake when you had a big coming up? Did you ever play for anything as big as the SB? lol. Please. They all knew what was at stake. Every last one of them.

Because its bull sh*t excuses run of the mill answers that you give the media when you just got your sh*t pushed in. Over half the the team was there the year before and felt the heart ache of blowing a lead in the AFCG. Again, do you really think that every single person on that team didnt know what was at stake? Players like Jason Taylor, LT and Richardson who were all Vets yet to win a SB? Com'e on man. I'm not buying that for a second.

You played sports, right? Did you need your coach to tell you what was at stake when you had a big coming up? Did you ever play for anything as big as the SB? lol. Please. They all knew what was at stake. Every last one of them.

And they came out flat. They took it for granted and seemed unprepared. Their performance and the results showed it.

Like it or not, that is a big part of coaching.

I don't deny that Rex deserves blame. I deny that he is a coach incapable of winning big games. It's a moronic premise considering what he has done. The question of whether he has lost the team NOW is valid and it is why a guy like Rutgers reasonably believes he should be canned. Dierking is talking about a great coaching job and acting like it is a hangable offense.

IMO, the team was on the upswing in 09 and 10. In 2011 they thought they would be good and tanked. Rex tried to rally these guys for 2012 and has failed pretty miserably, but the team was too close to blow up before 2012 and they are limited financially. To me this offseason is the one where Rex can put his stamp on them again and start holding people accountable. It basically can't be done midseason because there aren't really any choices. Based on what Rex has said to the media it doesn't look like he is ready to do anything about it, in which case I agree with Rutgers, but what he says to the media and the truth are two different things.

And they came out flat. They took it for granted and seemed unprepared. Their performance and the results showed it.

Like it or not, that is a big part of coaching.

Losing by 6 on the road which basically was a Sanchez turnover before the half and horrible goal line playing calling? It wasnt a blow out.

I'm not absolving Rex of blame. He's the HC so it ultimately is on his shoulders but to act like he didnt have them prepared or its his fault for them not understanding what was at stake is complete and utter horse sh*t, and you know it. That was a veteran laden team, they all knew what was up.

Further, how about their 2nd half performance? No props for the adjustments and shutting them out in the 2nd half? That wasnt Rex right? That was the Steelers or the players? lol

The Steelers went on a 12 minute drive to start the game. The game was dead there.

I forget didn't the Jets get with in 5 points with a little over 2 minutes to go, and 2 TO's left, and Sanchez was about as hot as he ever was that 2nd half in a season where he had 4 regular season 4th quarter, and OT winning drives, and 1 playoff 4th quarter winning drive? The game wasn't dead until Ben completed that 3rd, and 5 to Miller, or who ever it was with about 1:45 to go on the clock.

I bet if you put a poll up that very next day asking if Sanchez got the ball back there with a 1:30 on the clock asking do you think he would have led a game winning drive in that situation, the results at worse would be 50/50 split, but probably closer to 60/40 in Sanchez's favor back then.

Disclaimer:

This post in no way supports the dog sh*t QB Sanchez is right now, or is trying to say he is still our future QB because of this, it's just fact on how he played that season late in games nothing else.

I forget didn't the Jets get with in 5 points with a little over 2 minutes to go, and 2 TO's left, and Sanchez was about as hot as he ever was that 2nd half in a season where he had 4 regular season 4th quarter, and OT winning drives, and 1 playoff 4th quarter winning drive? The game wasn't dead until Ben completed that 3rd, and 5 to Miller, or who ever it was with about 1:45 to go on the clock.

I bet if you put a poll up that very next day asking if Sanchez got the ball back there with a 1:30 on the clock asking do you think he would have led a game winning drive in that situation, the results at worse would be 50/50 split, but probably closer to 60/40 in Sanchez's favor back then.

Disclaimer:

This post in no way supports the dog sh*t QB Sanchez is right now, or is trying to say he is still our future QB because of this, it's just fact on how he played that season late in games nothing else.

I'll admit. I was convinced if we got the ball back we were winning that game.

Once again, Rex's top shelf defense could not get off the field when it needed to That his been his Hallmark in managing this team.

I've seen the light. You win. All his fault. He sucks. Cant lead, cant coach and should never see a Football field ever again. This will probably be the last coaching job of his career. A desperate High School wouldnt sign up for Rex Ryan. He's that bad.

I've seen the light. You win. All his fault. He sucks. Cant lead, cant coach and should never see a Football field ever again. This will probably be the last coaching job of his career. A desperate High School wouldnt sign up for Rex Ryan. He's that bad.

Not sure where he will coach after the Jets, and don't much care.

What i do know, he is not the coach for the Jets now. This team needs a enema flush from an offensive standpoint, and rex has shown that he is incapable of doing that himself, nor hiring the right people to get it done.

The longer here is here, the more this team will stagnate, and delay the inevitable.

I appreciate what he has done, but that is in the past, and it is time to move on, for everyone's good.

Not sure where he will coach after the Jets, and don't much care.

What i do know, he is not the coach for the Jets now. This team needs a enema flush from an offensive standpoint, and rex has shown that he is incapable of doing that himself, nor hiring the right people to get it done.

The longer here is here, the more this team will stagnate, and delay the inevitable.

I appreciate what he has done, but that is in the past, and it is time to move on, for everyone's good.

You have a funny way of showing it...

But yeah, I agree with you. Rex Ryan is the worst Football coach in the history of the sport.

You have a funny way of showing it...

But yeah, I agree with you. Rex Ryan is the worst Football coach in the history of the sport.

Never said that, but ok. He is just the wrong coach for the Jets today, and for the future, regardless of what he did in the past.

And that is what fans need to be concerned about- What is best for the team in the future. He can have his victory laps and accolades someplace else.

Never said that, but ok. He is just the wrong coach for the Jets today, and for the future, regardless of what he did in the past.

And that is what fans need to be concerned about- What is best for the team in the future. He can have his victory laps and accolades someplace else.

WORST COACH EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's not forget the Steelers had a bye week to rest, and never left the city of Pitt for 3 weeks, while the Jets played 2 physical, and mentally exhausting games, against the 2 best QB's this league has seen in possibly forever, while travelling to their 3rd city in 3 weeks to play, your 100% right. The Steelers were a bad matchup up front for the Jets, they were more rested, and the more physical team, not to mention the more experienced team, playing in their building, and to Rex, and the Jets credit they never quit even after that deflating fumble return for TD right before half, or the failed 4 down goal line sequence.

After remembering how great that season was at times, and thinking back to what Rex was able to accomplish with this team, I really hope the Jets get a new GM who knows WTF he is doing, and also has the balls to override any stupid move Woody, or Rex for that matter would like to make, and get some high quality, high character (Locker Room Leaders, and Sheriffs like TRich, T Jones, Faneca, Woody ect.), and see if Rex can adapt a little with his everybody is the bees knees, even thou they play like dog sh*t, and give him 1 more crack, and by 1 more crack I mean until this salary cap hell, and dysfunctional roster is dismantled, and retooled, (most of this is on the offensive side of the ball, the D is actually set up at 7, of the 11 starting positions if Landdry is re-signed) so I would like to see him get at least 2 more years, and possibly 3 here.

To further defend this thinking of keeping Rex, part of the reason is because I see the potential in how good this D could be if his plan, and scheme is carried out 2, to 3 more years, I would really love to see what it would look like with 2 capable outside rushers, speed at ILB, and a pure center field FS, I think the D-line group is already built, D Davis is piece 1 of 4 at the LB position, keeping Cro, Revis, and Landry has us set there, and set as the best 3 at those 3 positions in the whole league by far! Go get Rex J Jones this draft, and Clowney next year (unless Johnny Football comes out early can't pass on him), (assuming we tank next season running GMC out there with no OL, or skill player offensive talent, and a young learning front 7 still), sky's the ****ing limit for this D as long as he is here, and also the one CALLING THE D PLAYS, their is nothing wrong with your HC calling D plays, most offensive minded HC's call the offensive plays, so I don't see the problem, I actually see a problem if he doesn't if he is the best man suited for the job, **** Mike Petine, or whoever is the D-coordinator in the future. The new GM could also bring along his guy, but not at HC, but at OC knowing Rex don't know sh*t about O, and takes all his ques about the O, and what to do on O from the OC, this could be the new GM's way of demoting Rex to D-Coordinator without Rex even ****ing knowing that's what happened, and I think everyone here would sign up for Rex as our D-Coordinator for the next 5-10 years no?

I'll admit. I was convinced if we got the ball back we were winning that game.

I was to, and TBH it was the 1st time since 98 that I would have believed something like that was possible.

I don't want to, but I bet someone could dig up a topic on this, and I'll bet this is the common thought in threads after that game.

I was to, and TBH it was the 1st time since 98 that I would have believed something like that was possible.

I don't want to, but I bet someone could dig up a topic on this, and I'll bet this is the common thought in threads after that game.

Those were the days, my friend

We thought they'd never end

We'd sing and dance forever and a day

We'd live the life we choose

We'd fight and never lose

Those were the days

Oh, yes, those were the days

La la la la la la

La la la la la la

Let's not forget the Steelers had a bye week to rest, and never left the city of Pitt for 3 weeks, while the Jets played 2 physical, and mentally exhausting games, against the 2 best QB's this league has seen in possibly forever, while travelling to their 3rd city in 3 weeks to play, your 100% right. The Steelers were a bad matchup up front for the Jets, they were more rested, and the more physical team, not to mention the more experienced team, playing in their building, and to Rex, and the Jets credit they never quit even after that deflating fumble return for TD right before half, or the failed 4 down goal line sequence.

After remembering how great that season was at times, and thinking back to what Rex was able to accomplish with this team, I really hope the Jets get a new GM who knows WTF he is doing, and also has the balls to override any stupid move Woody, or Rex for that matter would like to make, and get some high quality, high character (Locker Room Leaders, and Sheriffs like TRich, T Jones, Faneca, Woody ect.), and see if Rex can adapt a little with his everybody is the bees knees, even thou they play like dog sh*t, and give him 1 more crack, and by 1 more crack I mean until this salary cap hell, and dysfunctional roster is dismantled, and retooled, (most of this is on the offensive side of the ball, the D is actually set up at 7, of the 11 starting positions if Landdry is re-signed) so I would like to see him get at least 2 more years, and possibly 3 here.

To further defend this thinking of keeping Rex, part of the reason is because I see the potential in how good this D could be if his plan, and scheme is carried out 2, to 3 more years, I would really love to see what it would look like with 2 capable outside rushers, speed at ILB, and a pure center field FS, I think the D-line group is already built, D Davis is piece 1 of 4 at the LB position, keeping Cro, Revis, and Landry has us set there, and set as the best 3 at those 3 positions in the whole league by far! Go get Rex J Jones this draft, and Clowney next year (unless Johnny Football comes out early can't pass on him), (assuming we tank next season running GMC out there with no OL, or skill player offensive talent, and a young learning front 7 still), sky's the ****ing limit for this D as long as he is here, and also the one CALLING THE D PLAYS, their is nothing wrong with your HC calling D plays, most offensive minded HC's call the offensive plays, so I don't see the problem, I actually see a problem if he doesn't if he is the best man suited for the job, **** Mike Petine, or whoever is the D-coordinator in the future. The new GM could also bring along his guy, but not at HC, but at OC knowing Rex don't know sh*t about O, and takes all his ques about the O, and what to do on O from the OC, this could be the new GM's way of demoting Rex to D-Coordinator without Rex even ****ing knowing that's what happened, and I think everyone here would sign up for Rex as our D-Coordinator for the next 5-10 years no?

I agree with all of this. The only problem I have and I think we disagree here, the Jets arent going any where with Sanchez. And Rex is blindly committed to him which is eventually going to end his career here, rightfully so IMO. I like Rex a lot. Hate his allegiance to Sanchez so much that I want him removed if we cant move on from him.

1998. We need great coaches like we had then and a HOF running back.

Couldn't ****ing hold onto a 10-0 lead in the 3rd quarter on a field so windy and cold that Elway put up Sanchez like numbers. Their hand picked defense couldn't keep the Broncos out of the endzone when it mattered. They came out flat after they got that lead and rested on their laurels. Thought the game was theirs. 170 yards rushing against the vaunted HOF 3-4.

Archived