Tannenbaum; Draft Genius, Salary Cap Novice

Maxman

I tend to agree with those who think Mangini might have some talent finding talent. I wouldn't hire him to coach, but in a front office he could be useful.

Except that he's a tattle-tale.

Nobody likes a tattle-tale.

idk maybe im just CRAZY but i think hes just not good enough to find a job. Heck maybe he could if he wanted a low level one but why would he leave ESPN a lot of people love it there

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

48, yes.

If you don't think every team in the league is breaking the rules, maybe you're the one not living in the real world.

No one's hiring Mangini. Ask yourself why.

Because he's a sh*t coach and a stubborn hard-ass that refuses to adjust and players hate playing for?

Yeah, spygate and stuff sounds a lot cooler. I agree.

I tend to agree with those who think Mangini might have some talent finding talent. I wouldn't hire him to coach, but in a front office he could be useful.

Except that he's a tattle-tale.

Nobody likes a tattle-tale.

Because Owners are under pressure to hire GM's who have experience working in front offices, have relationships with agents, and have some sort of a track record of success.

They are not going to be so quick to hire an ex coach who players publicly hated playing for that managed a grand total of 2 winning seasons in his 5 or 6 in the league.

Actually, you disagree. The Jets could have stood pat and gotten that dog Ross like everybody projected. They moved up and got an all-time great. Sure there is luck involved, but you can say that with any of them. If they got lucky with Sanchez who they liked over Freeman we would be calling him a genius.

I am just saying it did not take drafting genius to get Revis. Drafting genius is getting Brady in the 6th. Revis was a great pick. Not a hard pick. As for Sanchez, I am no draft guru, but he did not look like much to me in college. A QB who who played a dozen college games, is hitting stationary receivers 10 yards in the clear all the time---with a great running game ------and has more talent around him that any team in the country? Is still short. And you have no way of knowing what kind of balls he has.You are right. If he had turned out good they would have gotten lucky.

Because Owners are under pressure to hire GM's who have experience working in front offices, have relationships with agents, and have some sort of a track record of success.

They are not going to be so quick to hire an ex coach who players publicly hated playing for that managed a grand total of 2 winning seasons in his 5 or 6 in the league.

I'm not generally big on conspiracy theories. I consider myself to be pretty level headed.

I also think there's some validity to the idea that Mangini played a role in the Jets drafts when he was here, and did a decent job. A guy like that, I'd consider giving a job in te front office. Sure, maybe you don't hand him the GM job right off the bat, but some sort of assistant job? I think that's very reasonable. Especially if you think he had a hand in pushing for Revis and Mangold.

The fact that he hasn't gotten any bites suggests to me that he's been black-balled. It happens. Either it's because he's a rat, or he ratted out Belichick and no one wants to cross him.

Spygate was a huge, unprecedented deal. I think it blew up in Mangini's face.

I'm not generally big on conspiracy theories. I consider myself to be pretty level headed.

I also think there's some validity to the idea that Mangini played a role in the Jets drafts when he was here, and did a decent job. A guy like that, I'd consider giving a job in te front office. Sure, maybe you don't hand him the GM job right off the bat, but some sort of assistant job? I think that's very reasonable. Especially if you think he had a hand in pushing for Revis and Mangold.

The fact that he hasn't gotten any bites suggests to me that he's been black-balled. It happens. Either it's because he's a rat, or he ratted out Belichick and no one wants to cross him.

hes had 2 chances mon come on mon

The fact that he got a job with the Browns the year after the Jets fired him, and 2 years after Spygate, kind of debunks your theory though. The fact that he was more of a failure in CLE then he was in NY is why he is now working at ESPN. And my guess is he hasn't really been seeking out jobs as a college scout. Think he's pretty comfortable with his role at ESPN.

Hey, I don't think we met. I am the guy who owns this site and has poured my heart, soul and money into it for the last 8 years.

You are the guy who I have no idea about, except the 10 complaints I got about you asking for you to be banned. I haven't read all of your posts, so I am giving you the benefit of the doubt.

But if you are going to accuse people of stealing, you should first make sure it has any validity. In this case it doesn't.

Your name is listed as the one who started this forum, so I called you out on copying Jason's post from his site. I really don't care who you are.

I don't know what the other jabroni was babbling about, but if you cut and paste from another site, which is what happened here with Jason, you should give them credit for the post. Unless you are just a plagiarist.

You disagree?

BD

Your name is listed as the one who started this forum, so I called you out on copying Jason's post from his site. I really don't care who you are.

I don't know what the other jabroni was babbling about, but if you cut and paste from another site, which is what happened here with Jason, you should give them credit for the post. Unless you are just a plagiarist.

You disagree?

BD

It is our article. Dennis wrote it. http://www.jetnation...ary-cap-novice/

We would never steal anything. We always ask those that post articles from other sites to post links back. So, you are wrong.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as the "rat" angle. Fact remains the Jets HC position was not the last coaching gig he had. Someone else - albeit, Cleveland - hired him while Spygate was fresher in GMs' minds.

On the other hand, it would stand to reason that someone might hire him as a position coach or DC except no head coach wants a potential rat working under him. I think if he showed more success as a HC he wouldn't be blackballed.

Given time I think he'll get another NFL job. He can always play the "I was younger then and it was stupid" angle, and it probably isn't far from the truth anyway. Some will never take that leap of faith with him, though.

I think more than Spygate, there are 2 more compelling reasons he hasn't been hired again:

1) poor record of success, even just as a DC with the Pats

2) he was a dick who too many players despised as a coach. That's a tough hump to get over in light of #1.

But you could be right and I could be wrong. There's a first time for everything.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as the "rat" angle. Fact remains the Jets HC position was not the last coaching gig he had. Someone else - albeit, Cleveland - hired him while Spygate was fresher in GMs' minds.

On the other hand, it would stand to reason that someone might hire him as a position coach or DC except no head coach wants a potential rat working under him. I think if he showed more success as a HC he wouldn't be blackballed.

Given time I think he'll get another NFL job. He can always play the "I was younger then and it was stupid" angle, and it probably isn't far from the truth anyway. Some will never take that leap of faith with him, though.

I think more than Spygate, there are 2 more compelling reasons he hasn't been hired again:

1) poor record of success, even just as a DC with the Pats

2) he was a dick who too many players despised as a coach. That's a tough hump to get over in light of #1.

But you could be right and I could be wrong. There's a first time for everything.

That last line made me laugh. Really.

Mangini was hired by the Browns' owner, not a GM, and I think everyone was pretty surprised by that hire.

Definitely think that if there's any truth to the notion that Mangini played a major role in the drafting process while he was here that he should be working in a front office somewhere - not working part time for ESPN.

I think I have everything squared away with BD on this one. Dennis has emailed me in the past and while there are some similarities that will always pop up in cap articles Its certainly nothing copied. The most recent thing I wrote in regards to the cap has a completely different take on Tannenbaum (I cant say you could call him good with anything when it comes to draft) but I dont think anything was swiped. Hope that clears up any confusion on this one...

Archived